PDA

View Full Version : Keep or Sell?

Go Horns!
01-22-2017, 12:21 PM
Well I have what I would call a good problem. Now that I have the new to me car (2013 335is 6MT http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?19509-Picked-up-a-2013-335is-6MT), I need to figure out whether to sell the ZHP or keep it as a garage queen.

I currently live in an apartment in downtown Fort Worth, but I have a parking garage and unlimited parking spaces. I also own a 1999 2-Door Tahoe. The Tahoe is never getting sold, so that is not an option. I walk to work, so the ZHP would only get driven one to two times a month. The Tahoe goes to the grocery store, and the 335is will be for running around town and long drives (over 45 min.). I'm single, so I am not looking to buy a house. A house would would require driving to work, and I like walking. And a downtown condo's costs of HOA, insurance, interest, and property taxes is more than my rent.

I'm lucky enough to not need the money from selling the ZHP, and can afford to fix and maintain it. But it seems like a real shame to hoard a car that is not a collector car. The ZHP has around 108,000 miles on it and up-to-date maintenance. But it needs some cosmetic TLC (Texas highways have not been kind).

What do y'all think, keep or sell? Sell because these cars are not collector cars and they were meant to be driven. Or keep because in a few years I will be nostaligic and will wonder why I sold one of the best BMWs ever made.

Would like to hear from those of you have sold a ZHP and then bought another.

WOLFN8TR
01-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Sadly I would say "Sell the ZHP". I sold my ZHP and bought a M3 and love it so there is always another BMW!

Johnmadd
01-22-2017, 12:41 PM
I would keep it in the garage until you are sure.Modify it and take it to car shows. :)

Prestovie
01-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Keep it for nostalgics imo, you'll regret it(as you said) later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
01-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Insurance can't be that much a month, why not just keep it for now, see if your mind changes any in a month or two?

NoVAphotog
01-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Well I have what I would call a good problem. Now that I have the new to me car (2013 335is 6MT http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?19509-Picked-up-a-2013-335is-6MT), I need to figure out whether to sell the ZHP or keep it as a garage queen.

I currently live in an apartment in downtown Fort Worth, but I have a parking garage and unlimited parking spaces. I also own a 1999 2-Door Tahoe. The Tahoe is never getting sold, so that is not an option. I walk to work, so the ZHP would only get driven one to two times a month. The Tahoe goes to the grocery store, and the 335is will be for running around town and long drives (over 45 min.). I'm single, so I am not looking to buy a house. A house would would require driving to work, and I like walking. And a downtown condo's costs of HOA, insurance, interest, and property taxes is more than my rent.

I'm lucky enough to not need the money from selling the ZHP, and can afford to fix and maintain it. But it seems like a real shame to hoard a car that is not a collector car. The ZHP has around 108,000 miles on it and up-to-date maintenance. But it needs some cosmetic TLC (Texas highways have not been kind).

What do y'all think, keep or sell? Sell because these cars are not collector cars and they were meant to be driven. Or keep because in a few years I will be nostaligic and will wonder why I sold one of the best BMWs ever made.

Would like to hear from those of you have sold a ZHP and then bought another.

I'd say keep her and see how you feel in the Spring, plus it gives you time to see if you appreciate the new hotness or the one of the best BMWs ever made. ;)

This one hits close to home :ducking ...as BMWCurves, ELcid and Vas are aware. I think I ask them this question bi-monthly. My car literally sits in the garage on the battery tender 90% of the time now and it was doing that before winter as well. I walk to work. Every time I think about parting her out and selling...I'll inevitably go for a drive...and those feelings wash away...

If I sold I'd be...out the game. I'd just drive my Toyota and eat my egg noodles and ketchup like everyone else.

NYRhockey
01-22-2017, 06:59 PM

JK. Keep it. You WILL regret it.

As years go by and clean copies of these cars get harder and harder to find you will be sorry you let it go.

san
01-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Since you don't really need to sell, keep all of them... but if you need to sell one I think the Zhp would have to go and I don't think you will have any shortage of buyers for it...

az3579
01-22-2017, 07:29 PM
I walk to work. Every time I think about parting her out and selling...I'll inevitably go for a drive...and those feelings wash away...

You know, I work 2 blocks from my current home. Do you know how many days I've walked to work in the past 6 months? Zero. Why? Because I take a 20 mile loop around town to go to work. Zero regrets. :biggrin

If the excuse is you don't drive it enough, drive it more! Make no excuses and just enjoy it!

NoVAphotog
01-22-2017, 07:30 PM
You know, I work 2 blocks from my current home. Do you know how many days I've walked to work in the past 6 months? Zero. Why? Because I take a 20 mile loop around town to go to work. Zero regrets. :biggrin

Well...that 20 mile loop would be 4 hours in stop and go... #dctraffic

az3579
01-22-2017, 07:31 PM
Well...that 20 mile loop would be 4 hours on the beltway in stop and go... #dctraffic

Ah, DC does suck. I am sure that you can come up with a better route. :)

NoVAphotog
01-22-2017, 07:32 PM
Ah, DC does suck. I am sure that you can come up with a better route. :)

Just so I can actually listen to Vas and put more miles on her??? That's crazy talk BP!

san
01-22-2017, 07:45 PM

If the excuse is you don't drive it enough, drive it more! Make no excuses and just enjoy it!

+1
work is about 3 miles away (not close enough to walk obviously but close enough to bike) but I take the longer 10 mile back roads...

Vas
01-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Get out and drive.

fredo
01-22-2017, 08:34 PM
I vote to sell. Three cars for one driver may be a little too many. Like others said, wait some months to make sure you are ok with the idea.

On a side note, I want to share this story. Some years ago my co-worker and I owned similar cars (1992 Ford Tempo). She bought a newer car and kept the Tempo, which sat outside on her driveway. After a long time, she tried to start it but it didn't. At the end, her Tempo went to the junk yard while mine was still running like a champ !

az3579
01-23-2017, 03:32 AM
Just so I can actually listen to Vas and put more miles on her??? That's crazy talk BP!

Well, I'm not exactly what you would call sane... ;)

+1
work is about 3 miles away (not close enough to walk obviously but close enough to bike) but I take the longer 10 mile back roads...

That is a great biking distance, and decent excercise.

jonnyd330
01-23-2017, 04:38 AM
Based on your situation I would say sell it but I will also tell you I bought my first zhp couple in 06 and loved it so much I have kept it. It has been a garage queen for the past 5 years. Then just last month I bought a sedan as my daily to replace my vw.

ryankokesh
01-23-2017, 05:31 AM
I honestly don't know what advice to give. Have a similar problem myself.

I don't drive the car as much as I'd like, but I'm irrationally emotionally attached to the thing. Like you said it's not a collector by any stretch, but at the same time I don't think it's likely I'll ever have something quite like it again. I can't justify an M car, so I'd probably end up going newer and unnaturally aspirated. Or even jumping ship and moving to a different brand. Shit, I might even end up with a Tesla with my stupid commute. The number of hours of labor I've put into the ZHP doesn't help the situation, either.

So I don't know. Keeping it doesn't cost me a lot; depreciation year over year isn't anything like a new car. Maybe someday my kids will get to enjoy it, if I can hang onto it for that long. Probably not, but maybe.

The more I think about it, my situation is turning into one of those "I can't decide what to do, so my inaction is really my action" things. Just a heads up that it's easy to fall into that rut.

Taking it to work every once in a while sure is a great middle-of-the-week pick-me-up, though. Guess my vote is to keep it. ? :dunno

NoVAphotog
01-23-2017, 05:38 AM

I don't drive the car as much as I'd like, but I'm irrationally emotionally attached to the thing. Like you said it's not a collector by any stretch, but at the same time I don't think it's likely I'll ever have something quite like it again. I can't justify an M car, so I'd probably end up going newer and unnaturally aspirated. Or even jumping ship and moving to a different brand. Shit, I might even end up with a Tesla with my stupid commute. The number of hours of labor I've put into the ZHP doesn't help the situation, either.

So I don't know. Keeping it doesn't cost me a lot; depreciation year over year isn't anything like a new car. Maybe someday my kids will get to enjoy it, if I can hang onto it for that long. Probably not, but maybe.

The more I think about it, my situation is turning into one of those "I can't decide what to do, so my inaction is really my action" things. Just a heads up that it's easy to fall into that rut.

Taking it to work every once in a while sure is a great middle-of-the-week pick-me-up, though. Guess my vote is to keep it. ? :dunno

Sums up my feelings as well.

ryankokesh
01-23-2017, 05:43 AM
Sums up my feelings as well.

At least I'm not alone :thumbsup

I will say that, for the 2 years or so it's be a third car for my wife and me, I don't regret keeping it. It definitely came in handy when I sold a car, letting me take my sweet old time to find a replacement. And to my surprise, I apparently had been so proactive with maintenance for so long that I've had to do very little in the way of repairs.

slater
01-23-2017, 06:23 AM
i would sell it. 3 cars is a lot to keep up at the same time. plus, then, yes, you can let someone else enjoy it.

Karl Lazlo
01-23-2017, 06:41 AM
i would sell it. 3 cars is a lot to keep up at the same time. plus, then, yes, you can let someone else enjoy it.

Please refrain from such negativity on this forum. Thank you.

NoVAphotog
01-23-2017, 06:47 AM
Please refrain from such negativity on this forum. Thank you.

:rofl

san
01-23-2017, 06:53 AM

Tesla? Really? Lol

ryankokesh
01-23-2017, 07:01 AM
Tesla? Really? Lol

If it can drive me to work at five in the morning? Sure.

san
01-23-2017, 07:09 AM
If it can drive me to work at five in the morning? Sure.

Five in the morning is the best time to drive your car and have some fun as the roads will be empty!

ryankokesh
01-23-2017, 07:26 AM
Five in the morning is the best time to drive your car and have some fun as the roads will be empty!

Lol, you would think that. Turns out there's a lot of steel mill workers taking similar routes as me at similar times. They drive like maniacs quite often (I'm assuming in an effort to get there on time) in giant herds of jacked F150s, so the result is a surprising police presence. I keep to the right and mind my own business...

Either way, still vote to keep it ;)

san
01-23-2017, 08:12 AM
Lol, you would think that. Turns out there's a lot of steel mill workers taking similar routes as me at similar times. They drive like maniacs quite often (I'm assuming in an effort to get there on time) in giant herds of jacked F150s, so the result is a surprising police presence. I keep to the right and mind my own business...

Either way, still vote to keep it ;)

Ah, gotcha!

wstr75
01-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Sell it. Take the $$ spent on insurance, taxes, parking, etc. and invest in something growing at, say, 6% average annual compounding (note the word "average" as some years investments may do better, while in other years, less so).

Enjoy the 335IS and the 1999 GM wheels. Simplify your life, do engaging stuff every day (including driving the newer 6MT) and treasure the fond memories of your ZHP.

Lessons learned from my 7 decades is life is about letting go the past, embracing the future and being involved in the present.

NoVAphotog
01-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Sell it. Take the $$ spent on insurance, taxes, parking, etc. and invest in something growing at, say, 6% average annual compounding (note the word "average" as some years investments may do better, while in other years, less so).

Enjoy the 335IS and the 1999 GM wheels. Simplify your life, do engaging stuff every day (including driving the newer 6MT) and treasure the fond memories of your ZHP.

Lessons learned from my 7 decades is life is about letting go the past, embracing the future and being involved in the present.

:idea

johnrando
01-23-2017, 10:00 AM
I have not sold one, but here's what I can tell you. I have a Triumph TR8, (not currently running), but when I drive/drove it, I would be a rich man if I had a dollar for everyone who came up to me and said, "wow, I used to have an xyz and I regret selling it".

Such a tough decision, 3 cars for 1 person. I agree, insurance isn't that much, yada yada. But, the smart thing is to sell it. But ask yourself, will you be one of those people who see a zhp and says "I regret selling....". The good news is, you can likely get back into one if you do sell, but what's your attachment to your current? I could never sell Ness and get another as that is my baby. If another one down the road is no big deal to you then I'd say sell.

Dave1027
01-23-2017, 11:22 AM

+1. Could not have said it any better.

slater
01-23-2017, 11:32 AM
+1. Could not have said it any better.

+100000. finally figuring this out myself, fortunately it's at 37! being 'fully present' is my goal for 2017... good life advice, wstr75!

Go Horns!
01-23-2017, 07:56 PM

I'll probably end up doing this as a start of the 355is replacement fund. But I like the idea of waiting a month or two to decide. In the mean-time I can give it some TLC. Get it ready for sale, or decide that I can't let it go.

I love the Tahoe, and will spend irrational money on it. I took it across the ocuntry to watch UT win the national championship. That is the vehicle with the hardcore emotional attachment.

jorbon
01-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Mod the zhp for track time... LSD, Potenza or Azenis, camber plates, coil-overs perhaps... hell-maybe pop a supercharger on there!

Take it from an old fart, you only go round once (unless you have a track car.)

derbo
01-24-2017, 09:59 PM
Mod the zhp for track time... LSD, Potenza or Azenis, camber plates, coil-overs perhaps... hell-maybe pop a supercharger on there!

Take it from an old fart, you only go round once (unless you have a track car.)

Do all of the above with RE71R tires :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
01-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Mod it for sure. I have been a notorious "car jumper" lasting some times only 8 months in a vehicle. Grass is always greener, I miss my old BMWs now.

Go Horns!
02-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Poll is tied. Get your votes in.

UdubBadger
02-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Haha, do what feels right man

Go Horns!
02-12-2017, 03:34 PM
The family has spoken. I'm going to keep it for a few months. If I'm not driving it, I'll sell it.

Karl Lazlo
02-12-2017, 04:27 PM
And for the record, I was the tie-splitting vote!

BMWCurves
02-12-2017, 05:25 PM
The family has spoken. I'm going to keep it for a few months. If I'm not driving it, I'll sell it.

Sounds like a plan! You get to decide how much you actually use it, and if you don't really use it, you didn't add much in the way of miles or hurt your resale value. If you do decide to keep it, well...you're already set with a great car.

Go Horns!
03-04-2017, 10:08 AM
Well, I ended up selling it. I had driven it twice since making the original post. Someone contacted me asking if I would be interested in selling it. He was an enthusiast in need of a car. We ended up making a deal, and I sold the car today.

He is not a member on here. I told him that he needs to join.

BMWCurves
03-04-2017, 11:07 AM
It seems like you're not too broken up about it hopefully it's for the best. Plus, you're helping out someone who truly wanted one.

fredo
03-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Congrats on the quick sale. How did the new owner find you ? Sounds like you didn't post a FS ad.

Go Horns!
03-04-2017, 04:35 PM
I have the same username on e46 fanatics. He sent me a PM through it. He was going to buy an auto ZHP, and he sent me the PM as a shot in the dark.

The quick sale saved me two or three saturdays of working on the car. I had an idea on an asking price, which I told him. That price was based on me doing a decent amount of work to get the car ready for sale. He suggested me lowering the price to sell as-is. I'll go put pricing info the thread on what people buy for.

When I sold my SS, I was happy to be rid of it. Here, I was neither happy or sad. When he dropped me off at my apartemtn after doing the deal at a bank, I did not watch him drive away. I was focused on getting my Tahoe's distributor aligned.

Go Horns!
03-04-2017, 04:45 PM
So if anyone knows of a mystic blue sedan with a natural brown interior and premium package that will be available for purchase in 4 years please let me know.

BMWCurves
03-04-2017, 07:04 PM
So if anyone knows of a mystic blue sedan with a natural brown interior and premium package that will be available for purchase in 4 years please let me know.

My ideal ZHP. Just missing heated front seats and fold down rear seats.

zkong
03-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Well, I ended up selling it. I had driven it twice since making the original post. Someone contacted me asking if I would be interested in selling it. He was an enthusiast in need of a car. We ended up making a deal, and I sold the car today.

He is not a member on here. I told him that he needs to join.

I finally joined and am enjoying the ZHP a lot. It's so smooth and nice to drive. Trying not to neglect my e30 and have been driving it to the gym and on the weekends some. Thanks again for selling me the ZHP!

johnrando
03-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Please introduce yourself in our new members section.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

zkong
03-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Please introduce yourself in our new members section.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just finished my post

BMWCurves
03-21-2017, 08:02 PM
I finally joined and am enjoying the ZHP a lot. It's so smooth and nice to drive. Trying not to neglect my e30 and have been driving it to the gym and on the weekends some. Thanks again for selling me the ZHP!

Welcome! Glad to hear you're enjoying it. You should post a thread and introduce yourself in the new members section and/or a project thread for the car!

RedAtom
03-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Congrats on the new ride