View Full Version : MT or AT

phillipjfry
02-14-2017, 06:16 PM
Hey all, I'm getting the fever. An auto just came up for sale. It's in great shape, awesome color combo, with options. Great price, but the only down side is its an auto. I really wanted a MT, but going to test drive it.
I do live in a traffic congested area, so my left knee would be happier, but an MT is a driver's car.

What would you do : buy, or keep holding out? Have any of you had this experience, and regret after purchase?

Lorenzo
02-14-2017, 06:22 PM
Wait for the MT. Don't settle. And don't buy a car because it's a good deal if it's not the one you really want. You will regret it and then you end up selling this car and getting another one. Be patient. The car you want will come around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
02-14-2017, 06:43 PM
I've only really ever known manual transmission cars. It's what I learned on, it's what I drove in high school, and it's what I've owned. Whenever I drive someone's automatic, even if it's a fun car like a VW GTI or an Audi S4 or the like, it might be exciting at first but that fades due to the lack of engagement in daily driving. This same experience works the other way too: boring cars with manuals become more fun on a daily basis to me.

Maybe it's different for you, and there are plenty of people who have automatic ZHPs and automatics on cars that love them, but I would never purchase an automatic if I didn't have to. Just my own take.

KTS317
02-14-2017, 06:53 PM
Don't do it! Coming from someone who has owned an AT E46, it's never worth it! Entirely different performing cars. E46 didn't have the most reliable automatic transmissions either..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrando
02-14-2017, 07:32 PM
The AT on these are fine, that whole "they are unreliable" is more urban legend. That being said, if you prefer an MT, absolutely hold out. I have an AT for necessary reasons, but MT's are a different driving experience and if you want one, wait for it. Wait, wait, wait. :) If it's really not a big deal either way, then go for the AT, but only if you really don't care or have specific reasons for AT.

Go Horns!
02-14-2017, 07:40 PM
I waited for 6MT with my ZHP. When I was looking for a 335is, I test drove a few DCT cars. Just wasn't the same. Had to wait a while to find a 6MT 335is. If you think you might want a 6MT, then wait.

NYRhockey
02-14-2017, 07:42 PM
I can't wrap my head around having a car like a zhp and it not being MT, though i do live in the 'burbs so i experience very little traffic.

That said, if you really want(ed) a MT, wait for it. You WILL regret getting AT if that's not what you really wanted.

fredo
02-14-2017, 07:47 PM
I suggest you test drive and then decide. If you think AT is for you, then consider Sprint Booster in the future. :thumbsup

phillipjfry
02-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Well survey says, wait... Okay, my wife told me the same thing. So if one of you guys want to help a fellow out, feel free to sell me your car. I think it's tax deductible if you're doing it for charity of a member.

holyc0w
02-14-2017, 08:11 PM
I was looking for an auto and somehow ended up with a manual ZHP. :dunno It was a bit rough at first, but a year later no doubt about the decision, except on a few lazy occasions.

NoVAphotog
02-14-2017, 09:13 PM
"If you drive an automatic BMW you are just steering it" - Mr. Regular

sillieidiot
02-14-2017, 09:39 PM
Don't do it lol But then nowadays I have a different mindset because I mod the shit out of my cars. If the car has like 90% of what I want, I'll just mod/retrofit the rest LOL I'd just factor how much a 6sp swap would cost on top of the car, and if it's still doable. Then I'll buy it lol.

BMWCurves
02-14-2017, 10:39 PM
"If you drive an automatic BMW you are just steering it" - Mr. Regular

For those that don't know the reference (quote at 2:20):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J--dg03Ywo

"In 2005 Crash won Best Picture Oscar and BMW gave it a run for it's money in the white guilt department"
"BMW 330Ci: the official car of 'I'm not racist, but...'"
"If James Bond was an insurance adjuster"
"BMW 330Ci: the official car of 'I'd like to speak to your manager'"
"It's the same reason Altoids are so expensive; they come in a fancy-ass tin"

He really liked the 330Ci, didn't he? It's like his ex-gf that he had a really bad break up with had one haha

ELCID86
02-15-2017, 02:58 AM
Don't settle. I did and ended up selling my AT ZHP for a 6MT.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

jonnyd330
02-15-2017, 12:03 PM
Wait for the car you want. That's what I did, took me over a year to find it but now I'm extremely happy with my choice. 6mt is the only way to go

danewilson77
02-15-2017, 02:41 PM
The AT on these are fine, that whole "they are unreliable" is more urban legend. That being said, if you prefer an MT, absolutely hold out. I have an AT for necessary reasons, but MT's are a different driving experience and if you want one, wait for it. Wait, wait, wait. :) If it's really not a big deal either way, then go for the AT, but only if you really don't care or have specific reasons for AT.
This

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reasoned1
02-15-2017, 03:32 PM
So, I stumbled across a 2004 BMW 330xi automatic about a year and a half ago and became smitten upon test-driving. I've always driven big, automatic, American cars and trucks, so I didn't think twice about it being an automatic, and I must say I think the Steptronic is very sweet. I started doing mods and quickly got interested in a crowning glory ZHP with 6MT. Well, I finally bought a nice, low-miles specimen that doesn't see any inclement weather. Even though I'm only okay at driving stick, I learned to LOVE IT--so much so that I bought a nice 2005 330xi 6MT last week with 122k miles JUST TO DRIVE STICK THROUGH THE WINTER! So, I say, if you actually think stick would be ideal, GET STICK!

L0veZHP
02-15-2017, 03:41 PM
I love my automatic but then again I live in NYC. so that manual life is not for me. Now if I lived in a less congested place I'd go crazy for a manual. Just wait. And the automatic transmissions are great. I've never had a problem.

phillipjfry
02-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Yeah, thank you all for the insight. I'm going to wait for a standard transmission to come around. I drove an AT tonight. It was okay, still quick, and an enjoyable drive. It lacked though, even in sport mode. Gotta have that 3rd peddle! Thanks again.

ELCID86
02-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Good call. There are pluses and minuses to both. Get the one you really want.

BCS_ZHP
02-17-2017, 06:09 PM
Look at my sig, lots of sticks, the steptronic is cool if you know how & when to drive it. Our first ZHP was a steptronic, I almost made the seller crap his pants on the test drive, he was grabbing the dash. Toss it in sport mode and rev, all the way up to redline, it's built to handle it. I did that on a tight cloverleaf on ramp, the rear kicked out, naturally apply more throttle to bring it back. The owner was screaming at me, brought it back around and he asked how the heck I did that. After the test drive, I pondered the lack of a third pedal but I was sold on the car, negotiation didn't take long.

Don't get me wrong, the manual has its unique advantages and is more engaging to drive where you have the space, my ownership record attests to that. But the steptronic is every bit as much fun is you know how & when to push it. Plus it's so forgiving for stop n go daily traffic crap. Don't knock it until you try it, and I don't mean the mundane daily commute mode, push it and then sit back afterwards, you'd be hard pressed to shift as fast and efficiently as you just did in a steptronic in sport mode.

SWO Daddy
02-17-2017, 09:19 PM
I personally enjoy the step transmission in the vert. It works well with the top down SoCal lifestyle. When I feel the need to "get on it" coming on, I bring out the manual 6spd 911. I'm fortunate to have both options.

Daddyoh
02-18-2017, 04:21 PM
Where are you located? I will have an '05 6mt for sale soon. I'm in eastern West Virginia.

Well I just looked at your profile, and see "any color but black". Mine is Black Sapphire Metalic....too bad. GL with your hunt! They're great cars.

usinjin
02-18-2017, 09:41 PM
Look at my sig, lots of sticks, the steptronic is cool if you know how & when to drive it. Our first ZHP was a steptronic, I almost made the seller crap his pants on the test drive, he was grabbing the dash. Toss it in sport mode and rev, all the way up to redline, it's built to handle it. I did that on a tight cloverleaf on ramp, the rear kicked out, naturally apply more throttle to bring it back. The owner was screaming at me, brought it back around and he asked how the heck I did that. After the test drive, I pondered the lack of a third pedal but I was sold on the car, negotiation didn't take long.

Don't get me wrong, the manual has its unique advantages and is more engaging to drive where you have the space, my ownership record attests to that. But the steptronic is every bit as much fun is you know how & when to push it. Plus it's so forgiving for stop n go daily traffic crap. Don't knock it until you try it, and I don't mean the mundane daily commute mode, push it and then sit back afterwards, you'd be hard pressed to shift as fast and efficiently as you just did in a steptronic in sport mode.

This. Both AT and MT have their perks in these cars..can't say one is necessarily better than the other. I'm in Austin and drive through a lot of heavy traffic while asleep, so I like the AT (which I've got) because I can be lazy. But you can also throw it into quasi-manual mode and push it hard. Great fun tossing it down to second and laying a small patch on the tarmac.

Vas
02-19-2017, 06:58 AM
Where are you located? I will have an '05 6mt for sale soon. I'm in eastern West Virginia.

Well I just looked at your profile, and see "any color but black". Mine is Black Sapphire Metalic....too bad. GL with your hunt! They're great cars.
This sounds wonderful

phillipjfry
02-19-2017, 09:36 AM

I can't do black. my miles car is black, and I swore up and down when she came home with it. I love a clean black car, but they are a pain to keep looking good. also it gets really hot here in the summer.

ELCID86
02-19-2017, 09:39 AM
I can't do black. my miles car is black, and I swore up and down when she came home with it. I love a clean black car, but they are a pain to keep looking good. also it gets really hot here in the summer.

Amen.

BCS_ZHP
02-19-2017, 03:37 PM
So you have to wash the car every day, or every other day, when the pollen is out. It gives you a chance to note every beauty mark on her, good or bad, I'm not seeing the downside of black. Says the former owner of 4 black Suburbans, you can wash & dry a Suburban in 30 mins once you get the system down.

Vas
02-19-2017, 03:49 PM
Black sapphic metallic is such a nice color.

If a car is properly detailed and paint is sealed, it stays nice and clean

phillipjfry
02-19-2017, 05:04 PM
As long as you feel the juice is worth the squeeze, black is great. For me, I wont want to wash it every 4 days, at dusk. I also don't like running my buffer every month. I have a house in remodeling. Anyways. I'm moving on an MT in silver.

Lorenzo
02-20-2017, 07:41 AM
If you are not going to buy that automatic transmission ZHP, I have a friend that is looking for one. Is there a link to the sale ad?

phillipjfry
02-20-2017, 08:38 AM
erased the number. here's the link. they are willing to negotiate. the guy said he was surprised how solid the car felt... for whatever that's worth.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/27842544

holyc0w
02-20-2017, 08:47 AM
That looks like a good one. It has some Dinan parts on it. Seems well maintained.

phillipjfry
02-20-2017, 08:55 AM
I'm wondering now if I'm going to pay too much for the one I put an offer on.

johnrando
02-20-2017, 11:41 AM
To me, the key to a black car is using a California duster. You do not want to wash it too much so you don't get the swirl marks. Of course that in SoCal where we don't have to deal with rain/mud/snow (until this year, lol).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

phillipjfry
02-20-2017, 11:58 AM
I heard you're trading in your car for a boat. In which case I have a boat for sale...

Prestovie
02-22-2017, 06:54 PM
For those that don't know the reference (quote at 2:20):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J--dg03Ywo

"In 2005 Crash won Best Picture Oscar and BMW gave it a run for it's money in the white guilt department"
"BMW 330Ci: the official car of 'I'm not racist, but...'"
"If James Bond was an insurance adjuster"
"BMW 330Ci: the official car of 'I'd like to speak to your manager'"
"It's the same reason Altoids are so expensive; they come in a fancy-ass tin"

He really liked the 330Ci, didn't he? It's like his ex-gf that he had a really bad break up with had one haha

My favorite episode of Mr. Regular [emoji23]