PDA

View Full Version : When to replace Valve Cover Gasket (VCG)

dpark
02-18-2017, 05:31 PM
Is there a recommended time to replace the vcg? I was looking over my maintenance receipts and for Inspection 1 and 2, I have not seen a vcg on the list of installed parts.

Also a "search" question. When trying to search for this topic, I get the error message "The following words are either very common..."

When searching for stuff like "vanos" and "vcg", what is the recommended way to search the forums so I don't ask questions that have already been answered multiple times for common terms? Is there a "how to search" thread?

Going to the indy service guy I found through this forum next week where he is doing some needed maintenance and wanted to know if I should have him do some other stuff since the car is at 120K miles and replacing the vcg seemed like something that should be done. It may have been done by the dealership, but I cannot find it on any of my receipts (I have them all).

I did find some interesting threads searching outside this forum too:

http://e46valvecover.com/13-common-problems-bmw-e46-models/
http://www.e46mango.com/2016/08/top-10-parts-to-fail-on-your-e46.html

The mango thread is pretty accurate for me as I have done #1,2,3,6, 7, 8 and 10.

I didn't find a similar thread on here. I did post in the thread about reliability: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?973-Bmw-e46-3-series-330-zhp-reliabilty/page11

Thanks,

David

BCS_ZHP
02-18-2017, 05:52 PM
The VCG is rubberized material, as are the grommets around each stud/nut. The thermal cycling of the M54 engine causes that rubber material to loose its elasticity over time, it hardens and then you get a small leak. I'd say the VCG is good for 60-70K miles, then it will start to leak somewhere, might as well replace it as a preventative measure. It's not hard to replace and is an easy DIY to get yourself acquainted with the car. The gasket set is around $50-ish, consider doing it yourself to save the 2 hours labor an Indy will charge you.

John in VA
02-18-2017, 06:15 PM
If the spark plugs haven't been changed it makes sense to do them with the vcg.

ELCID86
02-18-2017, 06:43 PM
And do the Vanos seals and gasket while you are in there.

BMWM3186
02-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Does anyone have a vcg brand recommendation? Elrino and Reinz are half the price of Genuine BMW.

BCS_ZHP
02-18-2017, 07:11 PM
Believe I used Reinz, don't forget the grommets too.

John in VA
02-19-2017, 06:21 AM
Does anyone have a vcg brand recommendation? Elrino and Reinz are half the price of Genuine BMW.

It's $20 more for genuine BMW with their 2-year warranty... Unless you're buying from FCPEuro with their lifetime replacement, and don't mind possibly dealing with a premature leak & doing the job over, go wild!

ELCID86
02-19-2017, 09:37 AM
I've used Reinz and BMW. No problems with either. I think there was some chatter a while back about the rubber compound being changed on one or the other. May be worth a Google...

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

dpark
02-19-2017, 10:32 AM
So my spark plugs were changed at 107K miles but I don't think the VCG was done at the time since I don't see the VCG on the receipt.

I'll find out what the indy will charge for it and look at the youtube videos to see what is involved. I don't mind doing some things on my car...

ELCID86
02-19-2017, 11:19 AM
It's not a bad DIY. Do consider the Vanos while you have it apart. You will see improvements.

Oli77
03-13-2017, 02:51 PM
OP, what did you end up doing? What brand did you buy?

I am in the market for a new VCG and thought I would use this thread rather than making a new one.

BMW original seems to be recommended - check. ECS tunning (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/ultimate-valve-cover-gasket-kit/11120030496kt2/)
The grommets story from Bruce above - are those the grommets for the bolts that go around the periphery of the VCG? You recommend changing those as well?

BMWM3186
03-13-2017, 06:11 PM
I used ECS tunings genuine bmw kit that came with the 15 grommets. So far no leaks yet I did put a dab of rtv where they said to. I don't really notice a difference with the new vanos seals but it rattled anyway so whatever.

Oli77
03-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Thanks, that's what I bought too just an hour ago.