PDA

View Full Version : Stigissimo's ZHP Touring

Stigissimo
02-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Tl;dr: So I've bought a ZHP touring. Turns out it's quite nice. That is all.

The real meat and potatoes: For all intents and purposes, this car is a ZHP. The only things a ZHP has from the factory that this doesn't is OEM Shadowline trim, mtechII sideskirts, anthracite headliner, and the ZHP cluster (which was included with the car but hasn't been coded by me yet - help would be appreciated). This car drives exactly like if not better than my old Imola ZHP. Power deliver is buttery smooth as is the transmission and handling is neutral/predictable. Steering is nice once loaded and has generally good feel. This car also does winter duties wearing style 73's wrapped in Blizzaks from my old ZHP, of which the rears are slightly lacking in tread compared to the fronts (I wonder why :confused). This thing has already whipped back from Cannon Mountain in New Hampshire through a fairly thick snowstorm in 100% comfort - and when desired - 100% hoonery.

Honestly, not much of a build thread; most of it's already done and all the rest will be maintenance and fixing the little things. Current Plans are to complete the shadowline package with a pro vinyl wrap job; importing OEM pieces is cost prohibitive. I also believe that for the life of the vinyl wrap, it will show equally well and be more durable than painted or actual shadowline trim. This should hopefully be happening this coming Wednesday.

Current Mileage 133k

Current Mods
Full ZHP swap - 100k miles
- M54B30 w/ ZHP Cams
- 6 speed tranny
- 3.07 Diff
- ZHP rack
- ZHP suspension: springs/struts, shocks, control arms
- 330i brakes all around
- ZHP exhaust
- OEM MtechII front/rear bumpers
OEM Perf grills
M3 seats
M3 leather wrapped wheel
UUC adjustable rear lower control arms
UUC front/rear sway bars w/hotchkis adjustable endlinks
UUC DSSR
Z4m FCABs
Summer: Apex ARC-8's wrapped in Michelin PSS
Winter: Style 73s wrapped in Blizzak WS70s

The Boring Stuff (Maintenance)
With the swap:
- Cooling system, with exception of radiator
- All Fluids
- Pretty new rotors/pads
- CCV
- FCABs/Control Arms

Pics Please ignore the partially dried mesh grille in front - the car was just washed and it ultimately dries a uniform grey :)

I'll probably be posting pics periodically on the instagram machine as well, separated by other non-ZHP shit. IG: n.andre4

MOST RECENT PICS
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190111/cc945f4d1b10ac29d74496ea74ff1ee8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190111/79cf509bda09361ec5f47734c0c28c9f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190111/7b006d3698addff1d167ba89539e98ba.jpg

As she first arrived

anandoc
02-19-2017, 08:27 PM
Holy crap, this is awesome! This thread will make slater drool all over his keyboard!

fredo
02-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Looks fantastic. Congrats !

BMWCurves
02-19-2017, 11:10 PM
Love tourings

oclvframe
02-20-2017, 04:50 AM
What an awesome car!

ELCID86
02-20-2017, 04:56 AM
Nice. DIY on conversion? I think the trim wrap will look great.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

Stigissimo
02-20-2017, 04:57 AM
Nice. DIY?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

For the vinyl wrap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

slater
02-20-2017, 05:07 AM
The real meat and potatoes: For all intents and purposes, this car is a ZHP. The only thing a ZHP has from the factory that this doesn't is OEM Shadowline trim, and the ZHP cluster (which was included with the car but hasn't been coded by me yet - help would be appreciated).

first off - it is awesome that this car was built. love it.

secondly - what about MTechII side skirts, and the black pillars and headliner? you need those too to complete the conversion. i MAY have a black pillar conversion kit for sale soon. ;) (and i know where to get the headliner fabric.)

Holy crap, this is awesome! This thread will make slater drool all over his keyboard!

haha. no drool, but it is awesome nonetheless. :) it only enhances my excitement to build mine. :)

cakM3
02-20-2017, 05:19 AM
haha. no drool, but it is awesome nonetheless. :) it only enhances my excitement to build mine. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing you complete your project Peter and I agree with others that Stig's ZHP touring is awesome! :thumbsup

Stigissimo
02-20-2017, 05:43 AM

secondly - what about MTechII side skirts, and the black pillars and headliner? you need those too to complete the conversion. i MAY have a black pillar conversion kit for sale soon. ;) (and i know where to get the headliner fabric.)

Oy! Welcome slater. This and your thread are our safe places for wagon thought diarrhea.

Very good point - it does not have mtechII side skirts or anthracite headliner. They aren't directly in the plans, and I'll tell you why (and of course I'm very easily convinced to change me mind on these mods lol)

Headliner: two sides to this coin. On one side, I actually kind of like the lighter color of the headliner. It really makes the black interior pop while also lightening it up a bit and creating some contrast. I also have brand new A pillars.

On the other side, I loved my anthracite headliner in the ZHP. Just looks straight classy and sporty. Also, my B pillars are peeling slightly and the headliner overall is in kind of crap condition - no sagging at all, but some fairly obvious stains and discolorations here and there.

Long story short, lemme know when you're thinking of moving those items, I may be interested. I would diy reupholster the headliner, but only if there was a surefire way to make it turn out better than last time I tried to re-glue my grannysock-ing A pillars.

Sideskirts: would I love MtechII sideskirts? Hell yeah. But to an untrained eye the difference is minimal, so I'm ok rolling around with the stock ones for the time being until I have some truly spare cash or no more mods of greater importance. I would only blow money in the near future on MtechIIs if some came up for sale at a good price already painted steel gray.

These differences have now been noted in the original post. It was late when I originally made it, gimme a break [emoji1]

Vas
02-20-2017, 06:16 AM
Killer wagon...

danewilson77
02-20-2017, 06:26 AM
So. Much. Win.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

slater
02-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Headliner: two sides to this coin. On one side, I actually kind of like the lighter color of the headliner. It really makes the black interior pop while also lightening it up a bit and creating some contrast. I also have brand new A pillars.

Sideskirts: would I love MtechII sideskirts? Hell yeah. But to an untrained eye the difference is minimal, so I'm ok rolling around with the stock ones for the time being until I have some truly spare cash or no more mods of greater importance. I would only blow money in the near future on MtechIIs if some came up for sale at a good price already painted steel gray.

re: the headliner and pillars - i prefer black for two reasons: it looks cooler to me, and functionally it reduces glare and actually allows for better outward visibility by providing greater contrast between the inside and outside of the car. i notice it when bouncing between ZHP sedan and my Touring (which has gray uppers).

i've had good success with gluing fabrics (i found the right glue and technique), so doing the headliner is totally possible. the fabric is about $100.

for the sideskirts... i like the ones you've got also (i have them on my Touring), but i am curious if the design of the MTechII is perhaps more functional from an aerodynamic standpoint - and maximizing fuel efficiency is definitely on my radar (i love my 6800RPM blasts, but on the highway i'm looking for fuel economy). i would love to see an MPG comparo. what are you getting in your Touring now? with my M54B25 and stock bumpers/skirts/height, i'm getting about 27-28mpg in the Touring now, but i get 31MPG in the ZHP. clearly the tall 6th gear helps in the ZHP.

These differences have now been noted in the original post. It was late when I originally made it, gimme a break [emoji1]

no worries dude, i am on your side.... just helpin' you out. ;) :cheers

i should have an interesting post in my Touring thread this coming weekend. :)

BMWCurves
02-20-2017, 07:16 AM
Do you think the side skirts would really have that much difference in terms of aerodynamics and fuel economy? The shape isn't all that different between the two.

san
02-20-2017, 07:36 AM
Do you think the side skirts would really have that much difference in terms of aerodynamics and fuel economy? The shape isn't all that different between the two.

I'm pretty sure the difference is negligible and if there is I would think the aero on the standard car would be better for fuel economy because I would highly doubt that BMW gave up on mpg, however small that maybe, on their volume seller. But you'll never know.

Other things such as rolling resistance and ambient temperatures, fuel etc make a big difference. The BMW i3 when released had the lowest rolling resistance of any production tire at that time (or atleast close to the lowest) because they wanted to maximize the fuel economy. That's the reason they have such skinny tires...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stigissimo
02-20-2017, 08:01 AM
no worries dude, i am on your side.... just helpin' you out. ;) :cheers

Haha jus' giving you a bit of sass, I know. There you go with that suspense again though....

for the sideskirts... i like the ones you've got also (i have them on my Touring), but i am curious if the design of the MTechII is perhaps more functional from an aerodynamic standpoint - and maximizing fuel efficiency is definitely on my radar (i love my 6800RPM blasts, but on the highway i'm looking for fuel economy). i would love to see an MPG comparo. what are you getting in your Touring now? with my M54B25 and stock bumpers/skirts/height, i'm getting about 27-28mpg in the Touring now, but i get 31MPG in the ZHP. clearly the tall 6th gear helps in the ZHP.
)

Like San said, I doubt the sideskirts have any noticeable effect on MPG. The biggest drag factor is that hatch, as evidenced by just how much crap gets caked on there in the winter.

Your rail delete probably helped a bit, but really the best aerodynamic benefit you could get is switch to a sedan or coupe :shift which shall henceforth be declared sacrilege in this thread.

During my trip up to the ski mountain this weekend, I averaged 28 MPG. 2 Hours highway each direction at 80-85mph, plus a 10 minute commute from my buddy's ski house to and from the mountain. The Imola ZHP used to get around 30 during this same trip. A 6th gear definitely helps - my old 323i 5sp touring got 26s on the highway usually capping out around 75mph.

Also, thanks everybody for the kind words! Loving this thing.

Stigissimo
02-20-2017, 08:19 AM
Nice. DIY on conversion? I think the trim wrap will look great.

---

I'll be going with a pro job. It would be my first DIY wrap and I think this car deserves better than that :biggrin I generally stick to mechanical stuff - aesthetic stuff above detailing, basic compounding, and plasti-dipping rear diffusers I usually like to leave to the pros.

ETAction
02-20-2017, 08:39 AM
very very nice

silvercube would look wonderful in that car.

great car. congrats on the addition very exciting

Stigissimo
02-20-2017, 08:44 AM
very very nice

silvercube would look wonderful in that car.

great car. congrats on the addition very exciting

Thanks! Bang-on, silver cube would look sick in this car. Am keeping my eyes peeled for a trade.

johnrando
02-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Nice car!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

YoitsTmac
02-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Nice to find the thread after lots of emailing! Very nice. Curious to see how you wrap for shadowline, my friend and I are painting his...depending I may follow in your footsteps. Maybe I can buy extra wrap from you :gasp:

So your parking brake doesn't work. When you switch 325 rotors with 330 rotors, the parking brake doesn't work because the parking brake shoe or gears are a different size. You basically need a whole 330 trailing arm for it to work or you can get creative with putting something on the inside of the rotor. Good luck! Subbed! Still like our email back and forth :D

ELCID86
02-20-2017, 02:06 PM
I'll be going with a pro job. It would be my first DIY wrap and I think this car deserves better than that :biggrin I generally stick to mechanical stuff - aesthetic stuff above detailing, basic compounding, and plasti-dipping rear diffusers I usually like to leave to the pros.

Thanks. I meant the motor/tranny work.

BCS_ZHP
02-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Remember you're in Costa Rica. Shawn if you don't "costa" on visiting here for the next week, Kim is gonna go find "Rica" or Ricky or whatever his name is!

derbo
02-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Mmm wagon.

Stigissimo
02-21-2017, 06:59 AM
Thanks. I meant the motor/tranny work.

Ahh - bought, not built [emoji23]

I purchased the car as it sits. That being said, a full swap of some sort done by me is in my future. As great as this car is, my e46 ownership will never feel complete until I M3 swap a touring. Just a car bucket list thing I need to get out of my system at some point in the future.

Vas
02-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Remember you're in Costa Rica. Shawn if you don't "costa" on visiting here for the next week, Kim is gonna go find "Rica" or Ricky or whatever his name is!

Bruce,

This is a signature worthy quote lol

slater
02-21-2017, 08:52 AM

actually, it is. it forces the air out and away from the rear tire.

Haha jus' giving you a bit of sass, I know. There you go with that suspense again though....

LOL. i'm hoping it will be worth it. in a NOW NOW NOW society, folks gotta wait for stuff every once in a while. ;)

Like San said, I doubt the sideskirts have any noticeable effect on MPG. The biggest drag factor is that hatch, as evidenced by just how much crap gets caked on there in the winter.

Your rail delete probably helped a bit, but really the best aerodynamic benefit you could get is switch to a sedan or coupe :shift which shall henceforth be declared sacrilege in this thread.

LOL. that has definitely gone through my head, but the utility and sheer cool factory of the Touring will win out over 2-4MPG. :) (as much as it pains me to say that; i love efficiency.)

the rail delete was supposed to - according to other folks online - reduce consumption by 1-2MPG. i have not seen any such numbers.

yeah, the long roof is likely the issue. i wonder if a slight lip on the hatch spoiler would help...

Stigissimo
02-21-2017, 09:03 AM
i wonder if a slight lip on the hatch spoiler would help...

Have you ever seen any from from AC schnitzer or anything??

holyc0w
02-21-2017, 09:38 AM
The drop in MPG is from the turbulent air from the sharp roof drop-off.

yeah, the long roof is likely the issue. i wonder if a slight lip on the hatch spoiler would help...

You need to do something like this

Stigissimo
02-21-2017, 10:35 AM

Lol..

Tyler - interesting thought. Although I didn't do the swap myself, I'm pretty sure the entire suspension was swapped so I should have the 330 trailing arms. I'll look into it soon.

slater
02-21-2017, 10:52 AM
The drop in MPG is from the turbulent air from the sharp roof drop-off.

hmmm.... maybe i'll just drive with the hatch partially open. ;) haha.

Stigissimo
02-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Alright Folks, it wouldn't be my luck if I didn't encounter a problem within the first month of ownership:

Problem: Just encountered a rough idle today. Idle starts out smooth and becomes progressively worse, to the point where the idle RPMs lower, the car shakes, and it feels as if it's going to stall.
- No SES lamp
- Unplugged MAF, no change
- smooths out if giving it steady gas, holding at 1k.

This may be related to a "problem" I've noticed since buying the car: when allowing the fuel pump to fully prime at ignition 2, the car cranks for a solid 3-4 seconds before a weak startup. If I simply put the key into the ignition and go straight to cranking (past ignition 2 & no priming) it starts in literally 1-2 cranks - quickest e46 startup I've ever heard.

First thought diagnosis:Camshaft position sensor? I've heard these cause idle issues. Actually have one sitting in my basement. Would it explain the startup though??

Other Thought: Fuel issue. Perhaps the strange startup sequence explains it; when primed, the fuel lines quickly lose pressure causing a long crank. Without the priming there's no time for the fuel lines to lose pressure and it starts right up.

- Not a dirty MAF, as unplugging didn't affect idle.
- Likely not coils, as I would get a misfire code.

Whatch'all thank?

san
02-21-2017, 10:57 AM
Could be fuel pump and/or fuel filter too if they haven't been replaced...

danewilson77
02-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Could be fuel pump and/or fuel filter too if they haven't been replaced...

This.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dual
02-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Wow what a car. Will be following this with interest.
Congratulations!

roadbiker_2
02-21-2017, 11:25 AM

Slater, so you know where to get the headliner fabric? Would that allow me to fix a few items on a Coupe like the third brake light cover? Is this the same or is other material being used as a covering?

YoitsTmac
02-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Lol..

Tyler - interesting thought. Although I didn't do the swap myself, I'm pretty sure the entire suspension was swapped so I should have the 330 trailing arms. I'll look into it soon.

You know the car, I don't. But I personally see no other reason someone would swap for 330 trailing arms. Word is it's a b*tch job. Keep us posted.

Thread on 330 brakes on other non-M's, where this was discussed: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=113940&share_tid=1108527&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Ee46fanatics%2Ecom%2Fshowt hread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D1108527&share_type=t

Stigissimo
02-21-2017, 03:25 PM
You know the car, I don't. But I personally see no other reason someone would swap for 330 trailing arms. Word is it's a b*tch job. Keep us posted.

Thread on 330 brakes on other non-M's, where this was discussed: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=113940&share_tid=1108527&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Ee46fanatics%2Ecom%2Fshowt hread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D1108527&share_type=t

Yeah I'm not entirely sure what was done either, but the diff was also swapped along with springs, shocks, brakes, lower control arms, and sway bars; at which point it would make more sense for them to just do the entire rear end in one piece rather than swapping individual parts, kind of like an M3 rear end swap.

YoitsTmac
02-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Who knows! But let us know if and when you find out! :D

anandoc
02-21-2017, 05:25 PM

You tease you! I'm so tempted to spill the beans here :p

slater
02-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Slater, so you know where to get the headliner fabric? Would that allow me to fix a few items on a Coupe like the third brake light cover? Is this the same or is other material being used as a covering?

i found it on ebay....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/311383252495?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You know the car, I don't. But I personally see no other reason someone would swap for 330 trailing arms. Word is it's a b*tch job.

it's not hard or that bad, really. however, i'm pretty sure 330 axles only work with 330 trailing arms, and i know 330 axles only work with a 330 rear diff (unless the output shaft flanges were changed). this could get messy (read: expensive) quickly if the guy building it used the 3.07 but opted to keep the rest of it 325... checking the axles and output shaft flanges would be a dead giveaway.

You tease you! I'm so tempted to spill the beans here :p

dude, contain yourself! ;)

YoitsTmac
02-21-2017, 06:03 PM

I'd rather help a fellow member/can't do it myself. Please PM me when you have a FS thread. I know someone interested and I might be too if I keep signing in new clients...

Didn't mean to threadjack!!

Stigissimo
02-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Alright Folks, it wouldn't be my luck if I didn't encounter a problem within the first month of ownership:

Problem: Just encountered a rough idle today. Idle starts out smooth and becomes progressively worse, to the point where the idle RPMs lower, the car shakes, and it feels as if it's going to stall.
- No SES lamp
- Unplugged MAF, no change
- smooths out if giving it steady gas, holding at 1k.

This may be related to a "problem" I've noticed since buying the car: when allowing the fuel pump to fully prime at ignition 2, the car cranks for a solid 3-4 seconds before a weak startup. If I simply put the key into the ignition and go straight to cranking (past ignition 2 & no priming) it starts in literally 1-2 cranks - quickest e46 startup I've ever heard.

First thought diagnosis:Camshaft position sensor? I've heard these cause idle issues. Actually have one sitting in my basement. Would it explain the startup though??

Other Thought: Fuel issue. Perhaps the strange startup sequence explains it; when primed, the fuel lines quickly lose pressure causing a long crank. Without the priming there's no time for the fuel lines to lose pressure and it starts right up.

- Not a dirty MAF, as unplugging didn't affect idle.
- Likely not coils, as I would get a misfire code.

Whatch'all thank?

Update to this.

I have two passive codes: P0171 (Lean bank 1) and P0174 (Lean bank 2). Pointing more fingers at the fuel filter?

hickatew
02-22-2017, 09:58 AM
Yoo Stig. I know nothing about this but am down to come through if you need an extra hand

Stigissimo
02-22-2017, 10:04 AM
Yoo Stig. I know nothing about this but am down to come through if you need an extra hand

Oh thanks! If it is the fuel filter or CPS, generally is a quick swap. Will def letcha know if I need a hand though!

Stigissimo
03-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Soooo, I've done a thing [emoji57]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170301/40d891c486a0a23687ce9746c3664f24.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170301/83304bc2ee64a71f7c7398d32dcbbd40.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170301/94545a17ce39047b79b073c9fdedd983.jpg

Real/better pics to follow soon

san
03-01-2017, 11:09 AM
Did you go with paint or plastidip?

Stigissimo
03-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Did you go with paint or plastidip?

Vinyl wrap, actually

san
03-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Vinyl wrap, actually

:thumbsup

Looks good!

Vas
03-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Soo much better then the chrome.

slater
03-01-2017, 11:28 AM
awesome, that looks a lot better than i was expecting! are you happy with it?

Dual
03-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Looks great! I am amazed at what can be done with vinyl wrap.

Stigissimo
03-01-2017, 11:38 AM
awesome, that looks a lot better than i was expecting! are you happy with it?

Pretty happy! I'd say the shop did an 8.5/10 job. If I look really closely I can see some uneven cutoffs around edges that reveal a tiny amount of chrome - mostly from odd viewing angles though. I bet your average joe wouldn't be able to tell the difference; I can be a little more nitpicky especially about my car.

I need to take some quick detail to it tonight, as the car wasn't washed before I picked it up and there's definitely some residue on the trim/windows. Then I'll really be able to tell you.

anandoc
03-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Vinyl wrap, actually

Wow - that looks awesome! Are you able to share some pricing info for this? I was also looking at potentially doing this to my car but pricing is all over the place here in Toronto.

slater
03-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Wow - that looks awesome! Are you able to share some pricing info for this? I was also looking at potentially doing this to my car but pricing is all over the place here in Toronto.

dude... i might have some real gloss black shadowline trim for ya. ;)

Stigissimo
03-01-2017, 12:22 PM

I paid $350 for it. I think that's relatively expensive for the job, but the shop is reputable and I've had them do quality work before. For the 8.5/10 I gave 'em for the job, I'd say $250-$300 would have been the sweet spot.

You definitely want a shop that is known for/has experience doing vinyl though. Our trim can be a bit finicky angle wise so you want them to know what they're doing.

Keep in mind there are cheaper and more expensive ways of doing this. I'm sure some are silently flaming me for paying this much when I could have plasti-dipped or "shadowline tape" wrapped it myself. Meanwhile, a true paint job would have been $450 and that sounds about right if they took all of the trim off to be painted, which is kind of a bitch.

johnrando
03-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Looks great!

YoitsTmac
03-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Looks awesome!

Stigissimo
03-08-2017, 06:04 AM
Changed the fuel filter last night; engine seems to run smoother and my idling issue is gone (as of now, so are the codes). Also while I was under the car got a chance to change the forward exhaust mount that comes off the tranny.

I heard some rattling a week ago and traced it to the loose brace from this mount. When unscrewing the bolt... snap. Knew it was gonna happen. Bought a completely new arm/bold and am rattle free [emoji1417]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/aec00757c3d967d817602d16470c2018.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/e13c2655550d456fac3262ae1e0c3eab.jpg

slater
03-08-2017, 06:15 AM
nice!

i see some oil on the bottom of the pan.... OFHG?

Stigissimo
03-08-2017, 06:19 AM
nice!

i see some oil on the bottom of the pan.... OFHG?

Yeah, potentially. There's not as much there as it looks in the picture. Probably something I'll track down when the weather gets nicer - no noticeable dip in oil level since owning.

Stigissimo
03-08-2017, 06:22 PM
So! Last night the fuel filter was replaced, and the code p0171 reappeared today. The long crank symptoms at start have completely disappeared, but the rough-ish idle remains.

I had an intake camshaft position sensor sitting around and replaced it tonight.

I reset the codes and took it for a test drive: the idle issue seems to be here to stay.

When idling (completely off the throttle), after a couple of seconds the idle becomes rough. It is mostly noticeable due to the chatter of the flywheel and slight shudder I can feel through the seat of me'pants.

Anybody got any ideas?

roadbiker_2
03-08-2017, 06:43 PM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=778510

I would look for a vacuum leak based on what you are saying, but the easiest thing to do would be to look at the Fuel Trims and MAF function with a scanner tool with the local independent. He will be able to tell immediately at an idle what is going on. This would not cost much at all, I paid an independent mechanic $40 to run this quick test.

anandoc
03-09-2017, 02:55 AM
Have you cleaned out your Idle Control Valve?

nextelbuddy
03-09-2017, 05:50 AM
Have you cleaned out your Idle Control Valve?

second the IACV check then on the vacuum leaks. you should be able to get a can of starter fluid or WD40 and spray around under the manifold area where the vacuum hoses are. any sudden change of idle when sprayed would indicate a leak

Sockethead
03-09-2017, 06:57 AM
What was the condition of the vacuum hose on the fuel filter? That gets dry rotted... same with the other end of that hose up by the throttle body boot.

Stigissimo
03-09-2017, 07:34 AM
What was the condition of the vacuum hose on the fuel filter? That gets dry rotted... same with the other end of that hose up by the throttle body boot.

Vacuum hose on the fuel filter end was totally fine. I forgot to give the F-duct a really good check, but did briefly inspect the intake boots and didn't see any noticeable cracks.

Next step is checking for vacuum leaks with starter fluid/WD-40, and cleaning the ICV - thanks Nextel/Anadoc.

Roadbiker - That's a great resource, thanks. Really hoping it's not a vacuum leak through the CCV; I believe my system was replaced before I bought the car so it shouldn't be. Will move on to some more involved testing/fixing once I give the intake boots / ICV a more thorough check and clean.

As of this morning, no codes yet. Keyword: yet. Rough idle is still there so I'm expecting one to pop up soon.

roadbiker_2
03-09-2017, 07:41 AM

I agree with looking at these vacuum hoses as well. They were in bad shape on my sons car, both at the filter and also up at the F connection at the upper Intake hose.

If you are hunting for potential leaks and are going to go as far as taking off the upper and lower intake boot to clean the ICV, take time to inspect the 3 vacuum plugs at the back of the intake manifold. The large plug on my sons car had a large split in it (vacuum leak), the two smaller ones were fine, but you could tell were nearing the end of their life. Mileage on his car 156k. Wife's car was much better when I did them, she has 107k.

Stigissimo
03-09-2017, 08:05 AM
I agree with looking at these vacuum hoses as well. They were in bad shape on my sons car, both at the filter and also up at the F connection at the upper Intake hose.

If you are hunting for potential leaks and are going to go as far as taking off the upper and lower intake boot to clean the ICV, take time to inspect the 3 vacuum plugs at the back of the intake manifold. The large plug on my sons car had a large split in it (vacuum leak), the two smaller ones were fine, but you could tell were nearing the end of their life. Mileage on his car 156k. Wife's car was much better when I did them, she has 107k.

Ooh great tip. I'll check that out too.

roadbiker_2
03-09-2017, 08:14 AM
I have the part numbers for those vacuum plugs. The two small ones are 11611437560 and the larger one is 11611727176

anandoc
03-09-2017, 09:41 AM
I have the part numbers for those vacuum plugs. The two small ones are 11611437560 and the larger one is 11611727176

I had no idea these are PM items. Is there a DIY to check the condition of these vacuum plugs and R/R if required?

roadbiker_2
03-09-2017, 09:48 AM
I was chasing my tail because of the codes you were showing. I looked for everything. I had a standard CCV and needed the Cold Weather version so I went through everything. It was a good learning experience as these things needed to be done, but in my case it was more than likely the Cold Air Intake causing the issue. This car had a rock solid idle. I would go through the inspection and cleaning of CCV, look for cracked lines, and or plugs, and then if still have an issue go to an Independent and let them run their scanner to look at the Fuel Trims and O2 readings. More than likely it is a vacuum leak if you are stock as idle issues are very common when you have a leak.

Stigissimo
03-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Welp... I found the problem [emoji15]

I am so lucky I decided to check this. I'd say I was 80% towards that pin falling out and destroying my head. Wow.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170311/f8ffa0f838919fedd553fe14d4a910fb.jpg

YoitsTmac
03-11-2017, 10:34 AM
Ah the joys of a BMW! How'd you narrow it down?

anandoc
03-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Nice that you narrowed it down. Use the GAS DISA kit to rebuild it.

Stigissimo
03-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Ah the joys of a BMW! How'd you narrow it down?

Just started taking apart the intake to clean the ICV. Took out the DISA and could instantly tell it was destroyed.

I have done a DISA repair with G. A. S. Parts for like $60 and it's very high quality stuff. Replaces all the plastic garbage internals with quality machined parts. Looks like I'll be doing that again lol.

holyc0w
03-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Now that it's resolved, I think I also recall pulling the p0171 code and the mechanic changed out the DISA.

roadbiker_2
03-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Well that will certainly cause problems. Should see an improvement in torque after you get that done and the GAS comes with a new gasket to boot.

slater
04-06-2017, 06:56 AM
summer wheels on yet? pics, man, pics!

:cheers

Stigissimo
04-06-2017, 06:59 AM
summer wheels on yet? pics, man, pics!

Soon :) they're wrapped in pilot super sports, that's what I'm most excited about.

Also, vinyl wrap on my drivers mirror base is peeling [emoji19] gonna have to take it back to have them redo it. They said they guarantee their work so it should be free.

slater
04-06-2017, 07:05 AM
Soon :) they're wrapped in pilot super sports, that's what I'm most excited about.

Also, vinyl wrap on my drivers mirror base is peeling [emoji19] gonna have to take it back to have them redo it. They said they guarantee their work so it should be free.

bummer - hope they don't give you any hassle about it.

looking forward to pics! :)

Stigissimo
04-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Aight! Swapped out the Blizzaks for my old ZHP's set of Pilot SuperSports. Holy shizer is the difference incredible.

Had the wheels/tires the wag came with (Nexens up front and Powertrac CityRacing in the back) on between my house and the Subaru dealer where my buddy Steve is a tech. We picked the best wheels out of the 8 that I had and wrapped them in the Michelins. Mount, balance, then riiiip. There's still noticeable difference between the all-seasons and the Michelins; they're just the best tires out there. Direction changes are telepathic and road feel is very communicative.

There's also the added bonus of getting the rightful 135s back on the wag - they look so much better than those dang 73s I have for my winter setup.

Also as a corollary to this little blurb, I now have a set of 135s with tires for sale that I plan on letting go for cheap...[emoji102]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170416/af778c21d84259ce3ec18af04c4a508d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170416/f153c4f85d655fe71aabb379c5a30491.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170416/5d1fae52ec740865a06d5ecfe66d57a1.jpg

BMWCurves
04-15-2017, 05:47 PM
That wagon is sexy.

Stigissimo
04-15-2017, 05:54 PM
That wagon is sexy.

[emoji57]

Thanks mang. I'll get some real photos as methinks I'm gonna give it a good warsh tomorrow

johnrando
04-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Nice!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

YoitsTmac
04-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Looks gorgeous with 135's, good move! Any update on the mirror?

Sockethead
04-16-2017, 06:59 AM
That looks really good with the 135s on it!

ELCID86
04-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Mmm mmm. There's something about those wheels and that wagon that just do it for me.

san
04-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Mmm mmm. There's something about those wheels and that wagon that just do it for me.

And the color!

Stigissimo
04-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Instead of celebrating the rebirth of Christ, I spent my day washing the wagon in the beautiful New England weather we seem to have every Easter. I'd say the results were worth it..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/0d1210e8f5d8dd0c3b116cb919c50eb9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/ef6cc2b6285b94b9ef06bf5170446d7a.jpg

Check out that fat ass rubber on the rears...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/09c8efcade490b6fb952b050adc6fe84.jpg

Stigissimo
04-16-2017, 05:08 PM
Looks gorgeous with 135's, good move! Any update on the mirror?

Emailed the shop, no reply yet. I'm gonna keep trying until they do...

Next on the list is a good alignment. For those on the north shore, I use Fastrak in Peabody and they do a great job. They do a good amount of track cars and race alignments so they know their stuff.

danewilson77
04-19-2017, 07:25 PM
Instead of celebrating the rebirth of Christ, I spent my day washing the wagon in the beautiful New England weather we seem to have every Easter. I'd say the results were worth it..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/0d1210e8f5d8dd0c3b116cb919c50eb9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/ef6cc2b6285b94b9ef06bf5170446d7a.jpg

Check out that fat ass rubber on the rears...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/09c8efcade490b6fb952b050adc6fe84.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170420/58ee3511a00c6809be0cb895d8bbd7d8.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+

Dual
04-20-2017, 02:06 AM
Really nicely put together. Sunday's weather was unreal: it got to 86º in Portland. Didn't last...

hardrivn
04-20-2017, 03:45 AM
That is stunning! Just curious though why you would pick ZHP as a swap and not go full M3, I'm assuming you just had a good zhp wrecked parts donation car, but if you went out and bought everything individually, I would have thought M3 parts would be easier to find. Regardless, awesome and I want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stigissimo
04-24-2017, 05:51 AM
That is stunning! Just curious though why you would pick ZHP as a swap and not go full M3, I'm assuming you just had a good zhp wrecked parts donation car, but if you went out and bought everything individually, I would have thought M3 parts would be easier to find. Regardless, awesome and I want it.

Thanks! I actually had a 323 RWD 5speed wagon earlier this summer that I fully intended to M3-swap, but realized a couple months later that it had some severe subframe mount tearing so I sold it to somebody who could fix it for cheap. This wagon that I'm currently driving was ZHP-swapped by Supreme Auto Imports in FL - I shipped it up here towards the beginning of the year.

I always say, though: my E46 journey isn't over until I've M3 swapped a touring. It's just something that's gotta happen. Now that being said, I still effen love this car.

Stigissimo
05-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Haters will say it's fake

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170522/39c107c2bf069fa456481b6ffb901d29.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170522/622d35c5e10699a22017c5a60fe689ec.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170522/67271d575679f226436251149aa73e9c.jpg

BMWCurves
05-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Something something yo, dawg I heard you like cars

But that is great.

az3579
05-22-2017, 03:39 AM
Something something yo, dawg I heard you like cars

But that is great.

Hmm...

"Yo dawg,
I heard you like car(t)s
So I put a car(t) on your car so you can drive while you drive"

:dunno

Karl Lazlo
05-22-2017, 03:59 AM
Haters will say it's fake

Not a hater. Looks more real than lumber Jetta.

slater
05-22-2017, 04:22 AM
first off:

1. awesome

2. how did you mount it on the roof rails? i need close up pics.

3. how much does it weigh?

Stigissimo
05-22-2017, 05:12 AM
first off:

1. awesome

2. how did you mount it on the roof rails? i need close up pics.

3. how much does it weigh?

Mounting kit: 2 6ft-tubes pipe insulation foam, 15 ft of 2x4, and 4 ratchet straps. The actual rails themselves served as the base, wrapped in the copper pipe insulation (held with zip ties, of course [emoji57]). Not only was this way cheaper than buying crossbars, I figured it would actually be more stable with a lower center of gravity.

I made the 2x4s into a pallet of sorts. The inner members prevent too much lateral movement of the pallet. The rear cross member was strategically positioned right above or behind the rearwards vertical rail support, and the kart's engine mount (heaviest part) was put right on that. Four ratchet straps locked the kart down and boom! Baller.

The kart weighs right around 200 lbs. Technically within manufacturer reccomendations [emoji41].

The entire setup cost me $30 and a little beer for myself and my friends who helped me mount it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170522/710290d2c1b23141aa77c4b53916ec64.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170522/67618d5fa7fd87c634ffd4620a56ed91.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170522/1f9eba27cb33f77ccddc6a0b909b9b14.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170522/8a601edb5d4225a4bb8f8756bad38985.jpg

I think I could have turned less heads on the highway driving a Ferrari. Some people looked completely bewildered, while the real homies were giving a solid laugh/smile and thumbs up

fredo
05-22-2017, 07:29 AM
Well done, man ! :thumbup

ZHPizza
05-22-2017, 08:38 AM
This is awesome. I want to ride on it.

hickatew
05-22-2017, 09:25 AM
This is amaaazing. Where do you race the Kart?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Stigissimo
05-22-2017, 09:31 AM
This is amaaazing. Where do you race the Kart?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Currently F1 outdoors in East Bridgewater. I'll be trying to make it to NH at least once this summer

danewilson77
05-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Not a hater. Looks more real than lumber Jetta.
+1

Sent from my S8+

slater
05-23-2017, 04:15 AM
Mounting kit: 2 6ft-tubes pipe insulation foam, 15 ft of 2x4, and 4 ratchet straps. The actual rails themselves served as the base, wrapped in the copper pipe insulation (held with zip ties, of course [emoji57]). Not only was this way cheaper than buying crossbars, I figured it would actually be more stable with a lower center of gravity.

I made the 2x4s into a pallet of sorts. The inner members prevent too much lateral movement of the pallet. The rear cross member was strategically positioned right above or behind the rearwards vertical rail support, and the kart's engine mount (heaviest part) was put right on that. Four ratchet straps locked the kart down and boom! Baller.

The kart weighs right around 200 lbs. Technically within manufacturer reccomendations [emoji41].

nicely done - i like the simplicity.

re: the weight - the owner's manual says the limit is 165lbs.... i'm sure 200lbs would be fine (they likely have some safety factor in there), but i definitely wouldn't push it past that!

Stigissimo
05-23-2017, 04:32 AM
nicely done - i like the simplicity.

re: the weight - the owner's manual says the limit is 165lbs.... i'm sure 200lbs would be fine (they likely have some safety factor in there), but i definitely wouldn't push it past that!

Hm. The interwebz told me 100kg 🤷🏼

Also 200 is definitely the max weight of the kart. It weighs 370lbs wet with me in it in full gear. I weigh 170-175

slater
05-23-2017, 04:50 AM
Hm. The interwebz told me 100kg ����

the E39 Touring has a 100kg limit. E46 Touring is 75kg. came across the same info myself. ;)

Stigissimo
05-23-2017, 05:10 AM
the E39 Touring has a 100kg limit. E46 Touring is 75kg. came across the same info myself. ;)

Ahhh. I guess this may have been one of those reading bias cases where I chose to read only the information that supports my idea.

For the sake of this exercise, I will continue to believe my car is an e39 with a 100kg max weight [emoji102]

...for science!!

slater
05-23-2017, 05:24 AM
Ahhh. I guess this may have been one of those reading bias cases where I chose to read only the information that supports my idea.

For the sake of this exercise, I will continue to believe my car is an e39 with a 100kg max weight [emoji102]

...for science!!

LOL!! :cheers

Karl Lazlo
05-23-2017, 05:33 AM
The 135s increase load capacity by approx 20kg.

True story.

Stigissimo
05-23-2017, 05:40 AM
The 135s increase load capacity by approx 20kg.

True story.

[emoji23] fact

And decrease ride quality by 20%...

Karl Lazlo
05-23-2017, 05:45 AM
[emoji23] fact

And decrease ride quality by 20%...

Rob Peter, pay Paul.

Stigissimo
06-22-2017, 03:36 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170622/20626f21af2e02d9bcf6d6074428f3d3.jpg

Nuff said

ZHPizza
06-22-2017, 05:58 PM

Nuff said

You tell that mean ol bearing!

slater
06-23-2017, 06:29 AM

Nuff said

Which side? I'm in the middle of replacing the right rear bearing on the black touring right now. It's awful.

Stigissimo
06-23-2017, 06:31 AM
Which side? I'm in the middle of replacing the right rear bearing on the black touring right now. It's awful.

Both sides, but the driver's side was the one making the noise.

This is the worst job I've ever done on a car.

Sockethead
06-23-2017, 06:34 AM
Ugh, I have to do this on my car... I've had the bearings for years

Stigissimo
06-23-2017, 06:48 AM
Ugh, I have to do this on my car... I've had the bearings for years

Have Fun! :) !!!

If you ever want tips or a little info on what I used to to it, hit me up anytime.

slater
06-23-2017, 06:49 AM
Both sides, but the driver's side was the one making the noise.

This is the worst job I've ever done on a car.

it's not the worst i've done, by far, but it's far from the best. everything came apart nicely up until removing the axle shaft from the hub. then it went downhill quickly. how far in are you?

(PS - love the name of your impact gun... as if 'earthquake' wasn't enough... had to add the 'XT' bit - LOL!!)

Stigissimo
06-23-2017, 06:56 AM
it's not the worst i've done, by far, but it's far from the best. everything came apart nicely up until removing the axle shaft from the hub. then it went downhill quickly. how far in are you?

(PS - love the name of your impact gun... as if 'earthquake' wasn't enough... had to add the 'XT' bit - LOL!!)

Lol - it's a Harbor Freight impact gun :ninja that being said it is very well reviewed and I love it. I used it to do the pulling/pressing with the press tool I sketchyrigged up from a 3-jaw puller bolt, a series of washers, a 4" PVC pipe, and pipe floor flanges.

I've got the driver's side bearing back in the hub, and need to do passenger side. Then it's just pressing the hubs back in (which required dremeling the old inner bearing race that was stuck on the hub) as well as the axles. I had to drop the exhaust and remove the sway bar as well. Then it's just reassembly.

slater
06-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Lol - it's a Harbor Freight impact gun :ninja that being said it is very well reviewed and I love it. I used it to do the pulling/pressing with the press tool I sketchyrigged up from a 3-jaw puller bolt, a series of washers, a 4" PVC pipe, and pipe floor flanges.

I've got the driver's side bearing back in the hub, and need to do passenger side. Then it's just pressing the hubs back in (which required dremeling the old inner bearing race that was stuck on the hub) as well as the axles. I had to drop the exhaust and remove the sway bar as well. Then it's just reassembly.

ahh, so you dremeled it! i thought of that, at 2AM last night. but was determined to use the dumb bearing splitter.

i didn't remove the swaybar, just unbolted the upper end link brackets and rotated it down - that was enough for me to get the axle shaft out.

i'll be thinking of ya tonight when i'm doing the same. :)

Stigissimo
06-23-2017, 07:15 AM
ahh, so you dremeled it! i thought of that, at 2AM last night. but was determined to use the dumb bearing splitter.

i didn't remove the swaybar, just unbolted the upper end link brackets and rotated it down - that was enough for me to get the axle shaft out.

i'll be thinking of ya tonight when i'm doing the same. :)

Yeah dremel was the way to go. I was just happy to throw the hubs in a vice and do a more precision job after spending hours on the ground hammering, pulling, and sweating.

I cut a nice slice into two sides of the race as close as I could to the hub, then with one solid strike with a screwdriver and hammer they split.

Like you, the bearing splitter I originally bought for the hub was too small. Had to return it to buy a bigger one. Used the lug nuts against the splitter to press the hub off; it was easy on one side but on the other side the hub was too tight to the knuckle for the thicker edges of the large bearing splitter. I ended up wedging something behind the splitter and pressing the hub out enough to actually get a purchase with the splitter on the knuckle.

I have an aftermarket beefy sway bar, which would not pivot downwards because it would run into the spare tire well. Wasn't too hard to take off anyway.

Hornung418
06-23-2017, 12:21 PM

Nuff said

Woah! You need double walled impact sockets or you could get seriously hurt!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Stigissimo
06-23-2017, 01:11 PM
Woah! You need double walled impact sockets or you could get seriously hurt!

I've got a good deep socket set but this bolt happened to be SAE and I was impatient [emoji102]

Hornung418
06-23-2017, 01:15 PM
I've got a good deep socket set but this bolt happened to be SAE and I was impatient [emoji102]

Just lookin out!

Stigissimo
07-13-2017, 03:29 PM
So I was being a bit of a hoon and slaloming my car last night, and each change of direction I heard a big metallic clunk as if a loose weight were swinging around. It was very strange.

I get home and check the rear passenger side footwell (where I believed the noise to be coming from) and just chillen on the floor was this! Must have been lodged beneath the passenger seat during the m3 seat swap and came free during my aggressive hoonery. Not a bad find!

Thing weighs like 5 pounds... gonna try it out and see how I like it. If anybody wants dibs in the event I don't keep it (they don't call the zhp knob the "greatest shift knob ever" for no reason) let me know!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170713/87599a3dd59d6f8a1c26a97f361191d6.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170713/e486274143a2dea5ef7e476f09c3824b.jpg

az3579
07-13-2017, 05:39 PM
I'd be interested in giving that knob a try. Giggity. :)

Stigissimo
07-13-2017, 05:50 PM
I'd be interested in giving that knob a try. Giggity. :)

Hahahahahaha

That pun tho!

ZHPizza
07-14-2017, 05:25 AM
Oh man I had one of those in my e36 years ago.

Shifted awesome.

Had to keep a sock in the car to put over the knob in order to drive after it had been sitting in the sun.

Fun times.

Stigissimo
08-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Ciao folks! So yesterday I threw in the BMW Performance short shift lever, coupled to the UUC DSSR. First impressions are fantastic... this mod took what I considered to be a pretty good shifter with one major drawback (the slop in gear) and transformed it into one of the most enjoyable shifters I've ever used. Throws shortened, engagement crispened, and slop drastically reduced. 3-2 downshifts are amazing.

Install was a 6/10. Not overly technical nor does it require specialized tools... only a lot of dexterity, determination, and good feel.

Also, I did the OEM SSK install years using a DIY and believed I remembered the orientation of the shift lever to be as shown in the pic below. However, I couldn't verify this as I couldn't relocate a DIY using this particular lever. Can anybody who has done this confirm this is the correct orientation? Front of car is towards the right of the picture. Shifting works but it feels as though the gate is very close to the front of the console. For example, in 5th I'm almost hitting the trim surround while even gears are almost vertical, just south of where neutral would be pre-mod.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170828/f2990606655318e0f76068ea8ae95185.jpg

Hornung418
08-31-2017, 05:35 AM
I believe the shift lever is backwards.

Stigissimo
08-31-2017, 05:44 AM
I believe the shift lever is backwards.

Hm. Ok - one vote for backwards. My other piece of reasoning was the both levers had a very slight angle to one side - on the stock lever that angle pointed towards the driver's side of the car and keeping that orientation of the angle on the SSK led to the orientation in my pic above.

Hornung418
08-31-2017, 05:49 AM
If the shift lever is rotated 180° it should stand nearly vertical then.

What's the throw look like? Need pics from in the car.

Stigissimo
08-31-2017, 06:15 AM
whoa - finally dug up a DIY! Dario does mention orientation in the first post, but thanks to photobucket the pics are all broken.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10952-DIY-BMW-Performance-SSK-Install-doityourself
(http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10952-DIY-BMW-Performance-SSK-Install-doityourself)

I believe according to that DIY the orientation I've shown is correct. Hornung - keep in mind in the pic the angle of the shift lever in comparison to the rod is variable as the lever can pivot. It can be vertical if I were to move it. The lever stands a near vertical in neutral when in the car.

Hornung418
08-31-2017, 06:41 AM
As long as you can put it into all the gears, it's on the right way. You'll know for sure that it's on backwards.

Stigissimo
08-31-2017, 06:43 AM
As long as you can put it into all the gears, it's on the right way. You'll know for sure that it's on backwards.

Alright cool. I emailed Turner Motorsport to see if they have anything on it.

Thanks for your help!

slater
01-09-2018, 05:47 AM
this thread needs:

- more pics
- more updates

also...

- more pics
- more updates

maybe some:

- pics
- updates

;)

johnrando
01-09-2018, 07:40 AM
lol

Stigissimo
01-09-2018, 07:51 AM
this thread needs:

- more pics
- more updates

also...

- more pics
- more updates

maybe some:

- pics
- updates

;)

Haha - you’re very right. I’m sorry!!

There actually have been some nice developments. DSSR :) I’ll get around to a full post.

I also just had my ACL repaired (last ski season got the best of me) so gimpy hasn’t really been able to drive/ clean his car well enough to get any good pics 🤷🏼*♂️ don’t worry I’ll nab some though. Stayed tuned

johnrando
01-09-2018, 08:19 AM
GL on the rehab!

slater
01-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Haha - you’re very right. I’m sorry!!

There actually have been some nice developments. DSSR :) I’ll get around to a full post.

I also just had my ACL repaired (last ski season got the best of me) so gimpy hasn’t really been able to drive/ clean his car well enough to get any good pics ����*♂️ don’t worry I’ll nab some though. Stayed tuned

sorry to hear about the ACL... not a fun time. hope your recovery is going well!

i put in a DSSR also, along with the RTD shifter. it's.... precise. :) and noisy. but fun.

BMWCurves
01-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Ouch on the ACL, it's the most conniving of the CLs. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Stigissimo
01-18-2018, 10:40 AM
I'll give some real updates on the wag soon. But for now, a story for the bored and/or interested about the most heart-stopping moment thus far of my driving career.

I was on the highway halfway through my daily commute. Sun bright, roads cold but mostly dry with some light snow on the shoulder. I was cruising in the left lane at about 65 - good space in front of me, nobody immediately to my right. I glanced in my mirror, thought I recognized the headlights as a GTI and spent maybe a second more looking to confirm my suspicion.

I redirected my attention to the road as I was rolling over a small crest, and to my alarm the car that had previously been a ways ahead had braked hard, nearly to a stop in front of me. Scratch that - I didn't even have time to be alarmed. I had stumbled upon near standstill traffic about three exits or so before I usually do, just after a crest, and was at most four car lengths behind the car in front while approaching at over 60mph. Before I could even shit my pants, I immediately and instinctively grabbed the tiniest dab of brakes then wrenched the car over two lanes to where there was some open space to slow down. When I say wrenched, I mean wrenched - 10/10ths of the limit, completely instinctive wheel jerk without having really slowed at all. Naturally on tall, soft-sidewalled blizzaks there was a resulting tank slap or two that I was able to get under control before slowing down and joining the traffic, safely. Now I had time to realize how terrified I was.

Some notes from this experience: It's pretty unbelievable how well you can come to instinctively know your car's limits. I think I would have to partially credit my knee-jerk reaction to my driving experience; I've spent some time on track (both in karts and cars) as well as a considerable amount of time intentionally exceeding the ZHP's limits of rear grip in the snow and rain. Had I tried to brake in this scenario I, the guy in front of me, and likely the guy behind me would have been splatter. Instead I reacted with aggressive steering input that was absolutely on the limit of what my car could handle...and I didn't even have to think about it. Not only did I instinctively perform the maneuver, I matched it to what I know through experience the car is capable of - no more, no less. When I say capable, I mean purely capable; my car hasn't had functioning DSC for about four months now (I spend enough time with DSC off to not want to bother fixing my DSC-brake light duo on the dash).

The rest of the credit I'd have to attribute to luck; I was lucky that I was in a position where there was nobody directly to my right, and that there was room in the rightmost lane to slow down safely after controlling a tank slapper that surely scared the shit out of everybody approaching from behind. I just hope that they all don't think less of BMW drivers because of how reckless the whole thing looked.

Side Note: Out of habit I drive with two hands on the wheel 9-3. Even after being distracted by a car in my mirror for a second, I was able to react immediately because my hands and feet were ready. Had I been driving with one hand (or worse, with one on top of the wheel which is no bueno), there's not a chance I could have reacted properly or if by miracle had reacted properly, controlled that reaction. Drive properly.

Final Thoughts Getting to know your car's limits can save your life. Sometimes what is required to escape a really shitty situation is a maneuver on the absolute limit of control. There's equal credit due to the ZHP, whose handling is extremely forgiving, capable, and communicative. While I'm glad I was able to react correctly, I'm even happier that this 16 year old wagon with malfunctioning traction control ate up the maneuver like it was nothing. God I love this car.

Newjack
01-18-2018, 11:15 AM
I'll give some real updates on the wag soon. But for now, a story for the bored and/or interested about the most heart-stopping moment thus far of my driving career.

I was on the highway halfway through my daily commute. Sun bright, roads cold but mostly dry with some light snow on the shoulder. I was cruising in the left lane at about 65 - good space in front of me, nobody immediately to my right. I glanced in my mirror, thought I recognized the headlights as a GTI and spent maybe a second more looking to confirm my suspicion.

I redirected my attention to the road as I was rolling over a small crest, and to my alarm the car that had previously been a ways ahead had braked hard, nearly to a stop in front of me. Scratch that - I didn't even have time to be alarmed. I had stumbled upon near standstill traffic about three exits or so before I usually do, just after a crest, and was at most four car lengths behind the car in front while approaching at over 60mph. Before I could even shit my pants, I immediately and instinctively grabbed the tiniest dab of brakes then wrenched the car over two lanes to where there was some open space to slow down. When I say wrenched, I mean wrenched - 10/10ths of the limit, completely instinctive wheel jerk without having really slowed at all. Naturally on tall, soft-sidewalled blizzaks there was a resulting tank slap or two that I was able to get under control before slowing down and joining the traffic, safely. Now I had time to realize how terrified I was.

Some notes from this experience: It's pretty unbelievable how well you can come to instinctively know your car's limits. I think I would have to partially credit my knee-jerk reaction to my driving experience; I've spent some time on track (both in karts and cars) as well as a considerable amount of time intentionally exceeding the ZHP's limits of rear grip in the snow and rain. Had I tried to brake in this scenario I, the guy in front of me, and likely the guy behind me would have been splatter. Instead I reacted with aggressive steering input that was absolutely on the limit of what my car could handle...and I didn't even have to think about it. Not only did I instinctively perform the maneuver, I matched it to what I know through experience the car is capable of - no more, no less. When I say capable, I mean purely capable; my car hasn't had functioning DSC for about four months now (I spend enough time with DSC off to not want to bother fixing my DSC-brake light duo on the dash).

The rest of the credit I'd have to attribute to luck; I was lucky that I was in a position where there was nobody directly to my right, and that there was room in the rightmost lane to slow down safely after controlling a tank slapper that surely scared the shit out of everybody approaching from behind. I just hope that they all don't think less of BMW drivers because of how reckless the whole thing looked.

Side Note: Out of habit I drive with two hands on the wheel 9-3. Even after being distracted by a car in my mirror for a second, I was able to react immediately because my hands and feet were ready. Had I been driving with one hand (or worse, with one on top of the wheel which is not cool), there's not a chance I could have reacted properly or if by miracle had reacted properly, controlled that reaction. Drive properly.

Final Thoughts Getting to know your car's limits can save your life. Sometimes what is required to escape a really shitty situation is a maneuver on the absolute limit of control. There's equal credit due to the ZHP, whose handling is extremely forgiving, capable, and communicative. While I'm glad I was able to react correctly, I'm even happier that this 16 year old wagon with malfunctioning traction control ate up the maneuver like it was nothing. God I love this car.

That was a good read. You have some quick reflexes man! I've had a couple close calls in my car too, thankfully nothing like you described. I'm still iffy on how well I know my car with the Blizzak's on (What did you mean by "tank slap"?) but I have a ton of confidence in my super sports.

Glad you and your car are safe!

Dual
01-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Side Note: Out of habit I drive with two hands on the wheel 9-3. Even after being distracted by a car in my mirror for a second, I was able to react immediately because my hands and feet were ready. Had I been driving with one hand (or worse, with one on top of the wheel which is not cool), there's not a chance I could have reacted properly or if by miracle had reacted properly, controlled that reaction. Drive properly.

Can you explain this to my wife, please?? I can't seem to. Come over; I'll make dinner/

Stigissimo
01-18-2018, 11:43 AM
That was a good read. You have some quick reflexes man! I've had a couple close calls in my car too, thankfully nothing like you described. I'm still iffy on how well I know my car with the Blizzak's on (What did you mean by "tank slap"?) but I have a ton of confidence in my super sports.

Glad you and your car are safe!

Thanks mang! Super sports on these cars are incredible. I’ll be getting some new PS4S’s this spring. It’s crazy how much more flop you can feel in the sidewall on blizzaks vs PSS.. much less responsive change in direction. That being said, blizzaks have very progressive and predictable grip loss, which I think helps make up for the fact that they just have less grip.

What I mean by tank slappers are when you countersteer into a slide, and your car catches and swings the other way like a pendulum (usually multiple times). They’ll usually progress until loss of control unless you anticipate them and their severity. Another reason to get to know your cars limits!

Can you explain this to my wife, please?? I can't seem to. Come over; I'll make dinner/

Lol - of course [emoji6] I’ll take a ribeye and some asperagus

Sockethead
01-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Tank slapper comes from the motorcycle world.... front forks oscillating from side to side so bad that they and you slap the gas tank. Very scary and almost impossible to recover from on a motorcycle.

When I did my first HPDE, my instructor told me, after making a few braking/turning mistakes, that if I was in any car besides an e46, I would of been in the grass...

I'd say the Blizzaks are one of the best HP snow tires on the market. I found them very predictable on the 135... even with the softer sidewall

az3579
01-18-2018, 04:57 PM
All the points in your story are the reasons why I:
* Frown upon people driving with one hand on top of the wheel
* Strongly encourage people to do some HPDE's even if they don't want to
* Strongly encourage autocross to learn the car
* Instruct at Street Survival so I can teach teenagers how to avoid collisions just like this

My ass has been saved numerous times because of the skills I learned while doing high performance driving. Great job, man!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
01-18-2018, 07:54 PM
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing. Gotta love how good of a feel you can achieve with these cars.

Stigissimo
02-23-2018, 12:10 PM
Aye Aye

Was just configuring my Apex group buy today...thought I would pledge now but of course I'm second guessing everything. Here's where y'all step in.

Here's the scoop: I'm going square fo sho
- 18x8.5 et38 ARC-8 Hypersilver
- 245/35/18 Michelin PS4s
- Stud conversion! duh! 70mm Bulletnose

The questions that had me second guessing myself:
1) I initially wanted to run 245/40/18. I understand this gives the sidewall an effective ~.45" radius boost. My rationale is bi fold: 245/35 would have marginally shorter sidewalls than stock 255/35 which I've always thought looked a tad on the thin side, and the extra sidewall of the 245/40 would help guard my wheels from these terrible New England roads with that cushion for the pushin'

2) 9" wheels instead of 8.5"? Maybe just wanted the 9's to win the wheel size pissing contest...

3) Any word on Apex studs vs Bimmerworld/Turner? They seem very well engineered from their marketing material and from reviews on other forums.

4) Do I get silver or black lug nuts??

slater
02-23-2018, 12:23 PM
sweet! i'm running those wheels now, with 245/35/18 PSS. no studs yet.

some answers:

1. yep, 245/35/18 is 0.2" shorter overall than a 255/35/18 (25"). 245/40/18 is 0.7" taller overall (25.7"); what about 235/40/18? that's 25.4" overall. i went with the 245/35/18 size because i got a good deal on them, and i didn't want to run 255's in fear of rubbing the rear fender wells, and 255's are mega up front. well, now that i've run them for 2 summers i would like to move to a 235/40/18 - more sidewall, which also has the benefit of looking bigger (i like that), and providing a slightly more compliant ride. plus on the PSS, the tread width is 8.5" which matches the wheels perfectly (actual shoulder width is like 9.8" as PSS/PS4S have massive rim protectors). my only issue is that i wonder if 235's in the rear are going to present traction issues.

2. 8.5" are lighter and you'll have less fitment issues with the rear fenders

3. no idea

4. silver IMO

johnrando
02-23-2018, 12:49 PM
I run 245/35 18 x 8.5 PSSs square. No studs, but lowered. Chosen as closet to orig ratio but with slightly lower profile cuz I like that btr. Not sure the answers to your other questions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
02-23-2018, 12:52 PM
FYI I'm pledged on the group buy for a set of 18x9.5's that I'm going to swap my 234/40's over to. My 235's are fat af tho.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?19536-ZHPizza-s-red-car&p=525992#post525992

slater
02-23-2018, 01:06 PM
FYI I'm pledged on the group buy for a set of 18x9.5's that I'm going to swap my 234/40's over to. My 235's are fat af tho.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?19536-ZHPizza-s-red-car&p=525992#post525992

whatcha doin' with yer old rimz? Touring?

Stigissimo
02-23-2018, 01:17 PM

Well look who's winning the big wheels pissing contest now!!

sweet! i'm running those wheels now, with 245/35/18 PSS. no studs yet.

some answers:

1. yep, 245/35/18 is 0.2" shorter overall than a 255/35/18 (25"). 245/40/18 is 0.7" taller overall (25.7"); what about 235/40/18? that's 25.4" overall. i went with the 245/35/18 size because i got a good deal on them, and i didn't want to run 255's in fear of rubbing the rear fender wells, and 255's are mega up front. well, now that i've run them for 2 summers i would like to move to a 235/40/18 - more sidewall, which also has the benefit of looking bigger (i like that), and providing a slightly more compliant ride. plus on the PSS, the tread width is 8.5" which matches the wheels perfectly (actual shoulder width is like 9.8" as PSS/PS4S have massive rim protectors). my only issue is that i wonder if 235's in the rear are going to present traction issues.

2. 8.5" are lighter and you'll have less fitment issues with the rear fenders

3. no idea

4. silver IMO

Thanks mang, really appreciate the tips. I think 235 is a little bit too little tire...245 in the back is already a compromise for better balance.

I run 245/35 18 x 8.5 PSSs square. No studs, but lowered. Chosen as closet to orig ratio but with slightly lower profile cuz I like that btr. Not sure the answers to your other questions.

Yeah the 35 aspect ratio looks great when lowered.. mine is not though nor do I have plans too. And believe it or not I'm in the other boat.. I like a little more tire than stock. We've got some seriously low profile tires in the back stock.

slater
02-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Thanks mang, really appreciate the tips. I think 235 is a little bit too little tire...245 in the back is already a compromise for better balance.

go for the 245/40/18s then! that would be sweet. i think dane runs that size.

We've got some seriously low profile tires in the back stock.

well, it's the same sidewall height as the fronts. :) (both 255/35/18 and 225/40/18 are 25" overall diameter)

Stigissimo
02-23-2018, 01:28 PM
well, it's the same sidewall height as the fronts. :) (both 255/35/18 and 225/40/18 are 25" overall diameter)

k nerd :rolleyes

You're right though. Was just thinking in terms of how wide the rear is vs tall... nobody cares about dose lame 225 section tires up front

Do you think a 245/40/18 would rub at all? 0 issues with 255/35/18 in the back, stock suspension and no spacers. No plans to do otherwise either.

slater
02-23-2018, 01:33 PM
k nerd :rolleyes

ha. i have a head for numbers. not much else though.

You're right though. Was just thinking in terms of how wide the rear is vs tall... nobody cares about dose lame 225 section tires up front

Do you think a 245/40/18 would rub at all? 0 issues with 255/35/18 in the back, stock suspension and no spacers. No plans to do otherwise either.

225's are great for steering feel... the wider you go up front, the number it will feel.

rubbing in the back all depends on your camber settings... if you're at least -1.5º in the rear you should be fine.

Stigissimo
02-23-2018, 01:47 PM
225's are great for steering feel... the wider you go up front, the number it will feel.

rubbing in the back all depends on your camber settings... if you're at least -1.5º in the rear you should be fine.

Yep I believe I'm running -2 deg camber in the rear so I should be ok.

ZHPizza
02-23-2018, 02:55 PM
whatcha doin' with yer old rimz? Touring?

Probably Craigslist. I like them, but won't have any use for them without tires. It was a nice $400 experiment to see if I wanted to pursue LMs and also told me that all of my suspected suspension issues were just worn PSS's acting up.

Well look who's winning the big wheels pissing contest now!!

I'm just tryna get sidewall stability from a softer tire.

Oh and the concavity is dope.

Stigissimo
02-27-2018, 03:32 PM
So I got in touch with Apex. They’re very quick to respond.

Max said a 245/40/18 is possible, but is a touch tall for the e46 and a touch too wide for the 8.5.

Instead he recommended the 18x9 with 245/35/18, the “usual” square Setup.

I think this is partially risk aversion on apex’s part, as they don’t want to recommend something other than a surefire fitment. That being said, I think it’s safe to assume that they’re also going to recommend what they know to be the best performance.

It think I’m going to go for the 245/35/18. I’m sure I could get away with the 8.5s, since style 135 rears are 8.5s - so I don’t quite know what they’re on about for the 245 being too wide for 8.5” wheels. Either way...245/35s it is

slater
02-27-2018, 04:52 PM
So I got in touch with Apex. They’re very quick to respond.

Max said a 245/40/18 is possible, but is a touch tall for the e46 and a touch too wide for the 8.5.

Instead he recommended the 18x9 with 245/35/18, the “usual” square Setup.

I think this is partially risk aversion on apex’s part, as they don’t want to recommend something other than a surefire fitment. That being said, I think it’s safe to assume that they’re also going to recommend what they know to be the best performance.

It think I’m going to go for the 245/35/18. I’m sure I could get away with the 8.5s, since style 135 rears are 8.5s - so I don’t quite know what they’re on about for the 245 being too wide for 8.5” wheels. Either way...245/35s it is

i think you're right, they're being cautious. since the 245/40/18 is actually a bit narrower than the 245/35/18, that's funny advice. it's definitely on the tall side, but it's actually shorter than stock [E46] M3 sizes (225/45/18 and 255/40/18).

are you buying tires from them?

san
02-27-2018, 04:56 PM
since the 245/40/18 is actually a bit narrower than the 245/35/18,

Narrower? Both are 245 width?

slater
02-27-2018, 05:08 PM
Narrower? Both are 245 width?

yep. at least, with the PSS, the 245/35/18 is 0.3" wider than the 245/40/18.

and to further confuse you, not all 245-width tires are the exactly same width, between manufacturers or even between different models from the same manufacturer...

san
02-27-2018, 05:09 PM
yep. at least, with the PSS, the 245/35/18 is 0.3" wider than the 245/40/18.

and to further confuse you, not all 245-width tires are the exactly same width, between manufacturers or even between different models from the same manufacturer...

Yup the second bit I knew... first I didn’t. Strange...

Stigissimo
02-27-2018, 05:11 PM
are you buying tires from them?

Gotta do out the math first.. tires from them are more expensive per tire than town fair but I think after the free installation/balancing it might be cheaper.

slater
02-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Gotta do out the math first.. tires from them are more expensive per tire than town fair but I think after the free installation/balancing it might be cheaper.

yeah... plus, they come mounted and balanced. time savings.

Stigissimo
02-27-2018, 05:22 PM
yeah... plus, they come mounted and balanced. time savings.

True... plus, I’m getting studs so I wouldn’t even want to have town fair swap the wheels (I’d just do it all at once)

If the 245/35s are wider than the /40s... that’s kind of a no brainer! Moar tire!!!

slater
02-27-2018, 05:24 PM
True... plus, I’m getting studs so I wouldn’t even want to have town fair swap the wheels (I’d just do it all at once)

If the 245/35s are wider than the /40s... that’s kind of a no brainer! Moar tire!!!

hahaha... i can send you some pics of the 245/35's on my 8.5" ARC-8s if you want?

Stigissimo
02-27-2018, 05:27 PM
hahaha... i can send you some pics of the 245/35's on my 8.5" ARC-8s if you want?

Yes. Yesx2

slater
02-27-2018, 05:28 PM
Yes. Yesx2

k. will dig send 'em over in the AM.

Stigissimo
03-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Found this gem going through my pics. Think I’ll leave it here in anticipation for summer

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180313/bdc1de93033a1ce2a09a883327d7aa28.jpg

i_b_bass
03-16-2018, 07:58 AM
:thumbup

Stigissimo
05-07-2018, 01:26 PM
I’ve done a thing. More pics to come when I get back from traveling (and with a better camera)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180507/e3b95ebb3046706ee52a1fccfe07d9da.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180507/37ace2e53a4fdfac0d8db041c4558706.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180507/9ff12f8ec6524fb28bd97d11fe315889.jpg

slater
05-07-2018, 01:49 PM
yes!! seeing your car with the same wheels makes me hate red so much more. they look so much better on your car.

what sizes, offsets, and tire make/model/size did you get?

Stigissimo
05-07-2018, 01:51 PM
Hahaha Slater vs stig... the wagon saga. That being said your wagon was what made me commit to the arc 8’s!

18x8.5 arc-8 ET38 Hypersilver

245/35/18 Michelin PS4S

And yes, the tires are phenomenal and the grip is ridonkulas

slater
05-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Hahaha Slater vs stig... the wagon saga. That being said your wagon was what made me commit to the arc 8’s!

245/35/18 Michelin PS4S

LOL!!

OK, same setup as me, except PSS vs PS4S.

cool!

johnrando
05-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Looks great!

az3579
05-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Really does look great. I like it much better than the 135's.

yes!! seeing your car with the same wheels makes me hate red so much more.

That's because you didn't buy hyper-black. :)
Photo taken in Canada for extra effect.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/515/31515934325_da221acde5_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Q1Xph2)0522161913 (https://flic.kr/p/Q1Xph2) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

slater
05-07-2018, 07:32 PM

:)

Stigissimo
05-07-2018, 07:45 PM
Really does look great. I like it much better than the 135's.

That's because you didn't buy hyper-black. :)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/515/31515934325_da221acde5_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Q1Xph2)0522161913 (https://flic.kr/p/Q1Xph2) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

Retweet, hyper Black is needed for red.

And thanks, I agree about the 135s for sure. And then there’s the performance benefit.. no brainer

BMWCurves
05-07-2018, 08:29 PM
:drool

245/35/18 Michelin PS4S

A few extra questions for the ARC-8 "super" thread (link: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?21416-APEX-ARC-8-Fitment-Thread):
Camber (front/rear)
Rolled fenders: yes/no
Stock ride height: yes/no (no - what suspension)
Spacers (front/rear)
Rubbing: yes/no

Stigissimo
05-07-2018, 08:48 PM
:drool

A few extra questions for the ARC-8 "super" thread (link: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?21416-APEX-ARC-8-Fitment-Thread):
Camber (front/rear)
Rolled fenders: yes/no
Stock ride height: yes/no (no - what suspension)
Spacers (front/rear)
Rubbing: yes/no

I gotchu fam. Will post in the thread

BMWCurves
05-07-2018, 09:13 PM
I gotchu fam. Will post in the thread

Stigissimo
05-14-2018, 08:04 AM
Updates & Thoughts: Sorry no pics, only had time on Mother's Day to give the car a wash.

Overall: This is hands down the best upgrade I've ever done to a car. Period. It helps in all areas of the car's performance: accelerating, braking, cornering. I'm amazed at how much more responsive the engine is; acceleration in all gears is noticeably more aggressive.

I no longer feel the need to downshift from 6th to 5th on the highway... with less rotational inertia to spin up I find myself moving from 80mph to 95-100 in 6th far faster than I expect. 2nd gear is now very quick and I find myself having the most fun enjoying the increase in usable power/torque from 3rd.

The Tires/Square setup: Grrrrrrriiiip. 'Nuff said. Super responsive and communicative - they have progressive traction loss at the way upper end of what really should be possible. Though the only traction loss I was experiencing was some mild understeer on full-throttle corner exit. That's to be expected with all of the weight transferring to the back.

In the wet the tires are pretty spectacular as well. I had my roommate in the passenger seat this week while it was raining. He knows my car pretty well; I hammered it around a 90 degree corner in the wet, a move (that I've done before in the same spot) that on my blizzaks would have led to a nice handful of dorifto. Well, the thing stayed completely planted, and my roommate goes "wow, I can't believe that stuck knowing what that's usually like in your car."

Appearance: The wagon went from slightly aggressive yet understated to straight b@da$$ (if you ask me). Fronts fill the wheel well perfectly, and the wheels look just aggressive enough to attract even an untrained eye. I love how when the car is rolling, it looks like the ARC-8s have a bit of a lip, almost like a 2- or 3-piece wheel. Oh, and the black studs/lugs look unquestionably sick.

I love this setup. I am firmly planted in my opinion that the best mod anybody can do to their car is a set of lightweight wheels wrapped in some killer summer tires.

And now, back to driving.

Stigissimo
05-14-2018, 08:05 AM
+ 1 pic from the original photoshoot. I promise there will be more [emoji16]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180514/c14752eb7a205535fefc5a55efdb9c7a.jpg

BMWCurves
05-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Glad to see you’ve had such a positive experience!

I agree, upgrading your wheel/tire setup can be a huge boon for driving performance. I experienced it on my father’s NA Miata and again on my car.

Worth every penny.

johnrando
05-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Sweet!

slater
05-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Overall: This is hands down the best upgrade I've ever done to a car. Period. It helps in all areas of the car's performance: accelerating, braking, cornering. I'm amazed at how much more responsive the engine is; acceleration in all gears is noticeably more aggressive.

well, also you've stepped down slightly in overall diameter so it will 'feel' faster. ;) it's not a huge difference, but i notice it when going from winter to summer wheels (my winter wheels are pretty light also - 20lbs - so they're not that much heavier).

i'm pumped you got these. they look great on the car! it would be awesome to have a little 330iT ZHP meet-up if i get over there this summer - trying to visit my dad and step-mom at some point over the summer (they're in the very southern tip of maine), if i can make it fit into our already very busy summer schedule.

Stigissimo
05-14-2018, 09:58 AM
well, also you've stepped down slightly in overall diameter so it will 'feel' faster. [emoji6] it's not a huge difference, but i notice it when going from winter to summer wheels (my winter wheels are pretty light also - 20lbs - so they're not that much heavier).

i'm pumped you got these. they look great on the car! it would be awesome to have a little 330iT ZHP meet-up if i get over there this summer - trying to visit my dad and step-mom at some point over the summer (they're in the very southern tip of maine), if i can make it fit into our already very busy summer schedule.

Dude absolutely! I’m located in Boston but know some great driving roads between here and there... notably on/off the Kancamangus highway in NH. Let me know and we’ll work something out.

ZHPizza
05-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Looks dope bro! Get some more friggin pics for us tho.

well, also you've stepped down slightly in overall diameter so it will 'feel' faster. ;) it's not a huge difference, but i notice it when going from winter to summer wheels (my winter wheels are pretty light also - 20lbs - so they're not that much heavier).

Good point -- it's the same affect as slightly increasing the final drive ratio. That would make sense as to why he still notices a difference at highway speeds.

Stigissimo
05-14-2018, 10:22 AM
Looks dope bro! Get some more friggin pics for us tho.

Good point -- it's the same affect as slightly increasing the final drive ratio. That would make sense as to why he still notices a difference at highway speeds.

Yeah it’s likely a multiplicative effect... drastically less weight, slightly shorter “final drive” equivalent ratio... makes a big difference.

Wait until I have an m3 rear end in this thing...

slater
05-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Dude absolutely! I’m located in Boston but know some great driving roads between here and there... notably on/off the Kancamangus highway in NH. Let me know and we’ll work something out.

will do. and yeah, the kancamangus is a great road. that's usually how we go to visit my dad... it's longer than other routes, but it's by far the nicest.

yep!

Yeah it’s likely a multiplicative effect... drastically less weight, slightly shorter “final drive” equivalent ratio... makes a big difference.

Wait until I have an m3 rear end in this thing...

are you going that route? why not just an LSD from diffsonline? less work and they're right in your backyard. :)

Stigissimo
05-14-2018, 11:24 AM
will do. and yeah, the kancamangus is a great road. that's usually how we go to visit my dad... it's longer than other routes, but it's by far the nicest.

yep!

are you going that route? why not just an LSD from diffsonline? less work and they're right in your backyard. :)

I’ve looked into diffsonline/mfactory as well... while I love the idea, my current reasoning goes something like this:

- cheaper
- moar OEM
- don’t mind the work too much, I think it would be an interesting job
- 3.62! Seeems like a reaaaal sweet spot

slater
05-14-2018, 11:38 AM
I’ve looked into diffsonline/mfactory as well... while I love the idea, my current reasoning goes something like this:

- cheaper
- moar OEM
- don’t mind the work too much, I think it would be an interesting job
- 3.62! Seeems like a reaaaal sweet spot

OK... just make sure you do some due diligence on the M3 diff first. :)

Stigissimo
05-14-2018, 11:55 AM
OK... just make sure you do some due diligence on the M3 diff first. :)

Real talk. Facts.

slater
05-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Real talk. Facts.

love it. :cheers