PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on replacing vs polishing headlamps on 2004 BMW ZHP

ilyap
03-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Greetings.

This is my first ever post on this forum, although, I've owned a ZHP since 2006. I have a 2004 BMW 330i ZHP with 105K miles on it. ~80K of those miles were from California, then it sat in garage for 3 years (lived in Chicago and NY) and I've been driving it again for last 3 years in Atlanta, Georgia. Lots of good stuff on this forum, but I wasn't able to get any decent recommendation on what to do in case of headlamp oxidation.

Recently the car was in a minor fender bender and getting the hood and bumper replaced ( no internal damage ). While getting this work done, I am also putting in the time to replace other interior parts impacted due to normal wear and tear. Where I am stumped is what to do about headlamps that now provide poor visibility due to oxidation. The shop where my car is currently getting serviced refused to provide polishing service saying that headlamps are beyond restoration. Couple other shops that have seen the headlamps offered to polish it, but gave it less than 50% of success.

New OEM parts ( 63127165791 and 63127165792 ) are roughly $1,500 each, although, mechanic suggested I call around local salvage yards to find cheaper ones. Looking on ebay, I can see these parts being sold for anywhere between 400-800 each, but I am not sure about quality. I am being told this is a common problem on older BMWs.

Looking for suggestions from other BMW owners on how they have dealt with this problem.

sillieidiot
03-03-2017, 08:09 PM
most people just buy from here:
http://www.khoalty.com/headlight-lens-replacement.html

Don't even bother polishing it.

ilyap
03-03-2017, 08:22 PM
most people just buy from here:
http://www.khoalty.com/headlight-lens-replacement.html

Don't even bother polishing it.

Awesome. Didn't even know this was an option. Thank you.

az3579
03-04-2017, 05:45 AM
Significantly reduced output from oxidized lenses on our cars is very rare. Are you sure you don't just have the typical ZKW burnt bowl issue?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

fredo
03-04-2017, 05:56 AM
I assume yor car is a sedan. You can't replace the headlamp covers on coupes because it's a sealed unit. I got Khoalty for my sedan 2 years ago (along with the seals) and I'm very happy with the results.

ilyap
03-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Significantly reduced output from oxidized lenses on our cars is very rare. Are you sure you don't just have the typical ZKW burnt bowl issue?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It's quite clouded in the center of the lense. Looking at it from an angle, it's far brighter. I've neglected the issue for at least a couple years. I'll find out for certain once I replace the lense.

ilyap
03-04-2017, 09:09 AM
I assume yor car is a sedan. You can't replace the headlamp covers on coupes because it's a sealed unit. I got Khoalty for my sedan 2 years ago (along with the seals) and I'm very happy with the results.

Yes, sedan. Great to hear about the results. What seals are you referring to?

fredo
03-04-2017, 11:45 AM
OEM headlight lens seal, part # 63128380210.

danewilson77
03-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Awesome. Didn't even know this was an option. Thank you.
That's why we're here!

As mentioned, ensure your bowls aren't burnt.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
03-04-2017, 05:53 PM

you didn't read his post did you?