PDA

View Full Version : What you do to your ZHP with $10k

Prestovie
03-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Thought this would bring about some interesting discussion, I'm curious what everyone would do if they had a cash line of $10,000 to spend strictly on their ZHP. And yes it does have to be ZHP related, no "put $9k in savings" or anything like that lol.
I think it'll be cool to see how different people feel about the direction they want to take their vehicles, for example some owners love the stock feel and want to focus on enhancing suspension and braking, while others love the weight distribution and want to cram some forced induction in to draw out the power. That M3 interior swap you've always wanted? Or what about finally getting those A and B pillars fixed? This is a great way to get some ideas out in the open so that other people may be able to take some inspiration and apply it to real life!
So what do you guys think? $10k to spend and take your time, links would be appreciated if you're talking about something specific(i.e. a certain exhaust or set of wheels). Of course you don't have to spend all of the money, but just remember that any that you don't spend vanishes, you don't get to pocket it [emoji6]
•Pic somewhat related•
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/7160ea67cf760b4c52fca40a2bd47dc2.jpg

Aaannnddd... modify!

(Edit: totally gunked up that title, mods if you wouldn't mind changing it to something more literate lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slater
03-07-2017, 07:14 PM
for my ZHP Touring-to-be.... probably another set of wheels, an ESS S/C setup with headers and high-flow cats, and... well, that's almost $10K right there.

or maybe a full glass-out respray in estoril blue. hmmmm.

theothersawyer
03-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Repaint (I have lots of rock chips from driving on the highway so much), fix the A and B pillars (and other interior trim with scuffs), coilovers, and properly strengthen the sub-frame! I think that would put me close if not over budget! Basically I'd want the car looking brand new.

BMWCurves
03-07-2017, 07:36 PM
I like this idea. I think it depends on where you are with your car. If we're talking about starting from scratch i.e. a factory car, then what I've done so far probably puts me through most of that budget (wheels/tires, brakes, suspension, M3 interior, etc).

If however we're working from where our cars are currently, then I have a lot more I might do:

E46 M3 Cinnamon interior w/ power lumbar and side bolsters w/ heated seats: ~$1,500
MFactory LSD: ~$1,300, depending on whether I do it myself or not.
ESS TS2: $6,850
Remaining cash: either toward rear subframe reinforcement or dyno time to dial in tune for the supercharger. Or some new sway bars.

Alternatively, I could follow Peter's footsteps and spend that $10k on a nice donor 325iT to come around. Then spend the rest of the money transferring parts over from my ZHP and cleaning up the Touring.

OR

Spend that money on going to a few driving courses like Skip Barber and track days to get experience. No greater mod to the car than improving the driver. So many options.

anandoc
03-07-2017, 08:11 PM
or maybe a full glass-out respray in estoril blue. hmmmm.

Full on Estoril withdrawal symptoms eh ;)

slater
03-08-2017, 02:51 AM
Full on Estoril withdrawal symptoms eh ;)

it was expected!

it's that beautiful... sigh.

Prestovie
03-08-2017, 09:14 AM
If however we're working from where our cars are currently, then I have a lot more I might do:

That's what I was planning on but I hadn't even thought about working off a stock car, another great way to look at it! See what everyone would do if they could start from scratch

Lorenzo
03-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Repair any and all faulty items
Full suspension overhaul including sway bars.
New bushings and engine/transmission mounts all around
2nd set of winter wheels if needed
Rewrapped coby steering wheel
Painting as needed

Supercharger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adi
03-08-2017, 12:07 PM
I love this game!

That kind of budget can go a lot further here in South Africa for labour intensive jobs such as re-spray. I will use a purchasing power parity conversion of 1USD = 10ZAR, so ZAR100k.

-Outstanding maintenance/preventative items (PCV, DISA, intake boots, Voltage Regulator, RTABS). Suspension & cooling system and other big ticket items are already done.

-Wheel Refurb + New style centre caps
-New OEM Steering Wheel (no good recover options here)
-FX-R Projector Retrofit + new headlight lenses + Osram CBI
-Dynavin N6 + CarPlay + OEM style sound upgrade
-New bumper plastic trims
-Full Re-spray in Ruby Red or Estoril Blue

And yes, I believe I could get all that done within the budget. That would put my car into the perfect spec/condition for my taste.

Dual
03-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Supercharger/Subframe reinforcement
Natural or similar interior package: superclean

I think I've blown my budget already... can I haz burled?

BADCLOWN
03-08-2017, 02:11 PM
S54 swap

KevinC
03-08-2017, 02:40 PM
$5k into a quality respray job, and the rest into refreshing every single suspension component and all rubber seals and anything else that can be refreshed. At 90k miles now, with all this stuff done, I'd be set for a looooong time.

san
03-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Apex arc 8's with PS4S -$2000
Replace all bushings - $2000 (shop)
Cinnamon interior maybe - $1500
MFactory LSD - $1500?
Front and rear strut tower brace - $700
BBK - $2000

Edit: think of it I may actually end up doing a lot of these things... smh

Prestovie
03-08-2017, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=san;522934
Edit: think of it I may actually end up doing a lot of these things... smh
[/QUOTE]

lol that's the idea, get you thinking about future mods :thumbup

NYRhockey
03-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Fix oil pan gasket leak: $1,000
Fix sagging headliner: $1,000 (who knows)
Other maintenance: $1,000

Since i like the stock look i'd spend the rest on figuring out how much Dinan upgrades i can get for my money.

fredo
03-08-2017, 07:18 PM
I don't think the headliner would be that much. I just replaced it on my Mini Cooper for $300.

For $10,000 I would refresh the suspension.

JPMo
03-08-2017, 07:27 PM
1. S54 swap with 6 speed
2. BBK
3. Respray front bumper and replace rear
4. Re-upolster headliner
5. Replace all rubber in suspension and exterior
6. Replace ZKWs with Magnetti Marelli's
I'd be a happy, happy person

704sw
03-08-2017, 08:12 PM
1. Hunt down a set of correct offset Alufelgen CS7 (18x9 Rears)

2. Mint Cinnamon heated/memory/lumbar seats (don't care about door cards, and I already have an armrest delete

3. Porsche 996 caliper DIY BBK

4. Leftover goes into M3 organ donor and addressing rust

Sent from a device using Tapatalk

ELCID86
03-09-2017, 06:42 AM
$10k is twice what I paid. Maybe I'd buy two cars!?

cakM3
03-17-2017, 03:21 PM
When modding my ZHP, or any of my cars for that matter I never look at "how much" let alone $10k. I have a vision and pursue that vision no matter the cost. End result speaks for itself [emoji1419][emoji1360]

I will most likely spend more than $10k on my ZHP by the time I'm done [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZHP_Brandon
03-17-2017, 06:16 PM
M3 Drivetrain Swap - I have the motor, harness & Ecu, just need a 6 speed trans a rear soo.... - 2K (based on what I have)

Natural Brown interior (1K)

Apex Wheels (1200$)

PSS10 - 2K

The rest of the money would go to bushings, maintenance, etc

sillieidiot
03-18-2017, 03:22 AM
considering where my car is at right now. it's pretty much just going to be s/c lol ts2+. 10k is only enough for one mod.

rkneeshaw
03-18-2017, 04:57 AM
S54 swap can easily cost $10k
TS2 easily $7k, TS2+ easily $9k
LSD will set you back about $2k after installation

Maintenance is a whole different ballgame, depends entirely on the state of the car, so that could be 0 or it could be $4k if you need to do suspension and everything too.

If the car is in good shape, I think I'd start with the LSD and TS2.

But part of me thinks it would be awesome to do the S54 swap, and then supercharge it later :)

dpark
03-18-2017, 05:54 AM
I would do a refresh of the car to take it another 200K miles.

Stock motor swap (my indy guy said it would be around $5k)
Full suspension refresh
Replace all the known failure points (DISA, VCG, FCAB, RTAB, Cooling)

If any money left over and nice set of 17x8 rims and tires

phillipjfry
03-22-2017, 04:07 PM
NB interior swap. Full exhaust / intake. Powder coat wheels - hyper silver.

RedAtom
03-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Supercharger and a auto to manual swap.

I think the manual swap is coming this summer.