PDA

View Full Version : Buying a BMW 330 ZHP: Convertible vs Coupe or Sedan?????

AZBP2
03-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Hello,

Although I am a rookie on this the ZHP Mafia site (today is my fist day), I've read enough to know what the general consensus will be regarding which body style to purchase. However, for my own edification, I'd appreciate you input. Thanks in advance and I want to say that I am so glad to be part of the family. A special shout out to Dane who has been super patient with a rookie ZHP convert.

Thanks AZ

BMWCurves
03-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Welcome!

Almost everyone has a preference for the body style, but it should only matter what you want. I prefer the looks of the coupe, but I can't deny I miss some of the added utility of the sedan. What's your car history like? What interests you in the ZHP? Do you have any specific preferences for the car like mileage, color, or transmission?

Feel free to ask us other questions, we're a helpful bunch.

AZBP2
03-12-2017, 07:57 PM
What's your car history like? I have owned several cars (some good, others not). My favorite was a 2004 BMW 325 sedan with the premium and sports package. It drove great and really cemented my preference for BMW as a driver car. I currently drive a VW GLI (sedan) 6MT and i must say that I truely enjoy it. However, I miss the rear wheel drive and overall feel of the 3 series. I recently discovered the 330 ZHP and now I have to have one.

What interests you in the ZHP? BMW driver experience, looks, and uniqueness... I can see how you all can be so passionate about this car.

Do you have any specific preferences for the car like mileage, color, or transmission? I am open to all of the above. However, the car I buy will be my daily driver... I am quickly learning that mileage may be relative as long as the owner took care of his car with a comprehensive maintenance plan.

Thanks

jorbon
03-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Clearly, you have your plans, goals and experiences behind the wheel that will have you make a great decision for you, but since you asked... I'll say the only thing I ever regretted about my convertible was selling it.

For me, a convertible with the top down is the purest driving experience. I've done it on both coasts, on country lanes and freeways, alone and with a car full, and both for relaxation and at driving schools on the four tracks here in Northern and Central CA. It is the best!

AZBP2
03-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Jorbon, I appreciate your feedback and you make a good point. I owned a convertible once and it sure was fun driving it during the the time I lived in CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wstr75
03-13-2017, 07:28 AM
You can almost have it all (with the exception of four doors) with a ZHP convertible with a hardtop. Ragtop for spring, summer and fall with hardtop on for winter.

ZHPizza
03-13-2017, 07:56 AM
Welcome! I had a ZHP sedan for a few years and now have a coupe. These are my personal feelings:

Coupe:
- prettier
- can have adaptive headlights
- and LED tail lights
- B-pillar is far enough back that it doesn't create a blind spot [for me]
- doors are stupid long and make ingress/egress difficult in a tight garage or parking space

Sedan:
- better utility
- B pillar is a blind spot [for me]
- better driving position/overall visibility

Since you already have experience with the sedan, then I say you should go down to carmax and try driving a coupe/vert to see if the driving position works for you. I know myself and some others in coupes struggle to get the right mix of control over the wheel/forward visibility/head hitting the roof.

I really like them both and, if given the choice for a DD, I'd lean towards the sedan for it's driving position and parking-lot-friendly-doors.

BMWCurves
03-13-2017, 08:07 AM
I pretty much mirror ZHPizza in my sentiments. I've never noticed the B pillar being an issue for me in my sister's 330Xi sedan, but I agree with pretty much everything else.

johnrando
03-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Welcome! Verts and coupes are essentially the same car (different seats, other minor things (trunk size, "vert" stuff :) ). The E46 vert is extremely solid, very well done roof/sound deadening, chassis feels solid, quality. If you want vert, definitely go for it. I've driven all 3 and it's certainly just a matter of choice, they all are good cars.

slater
03-13-2017, 08:13 AM
Coupe:
- prettier
- can have adaptive headlights
- and LED tail lights
- B-pillar is far enough back that it doesn't create a blind spot [for me]
- doors are stupid long and make ingress/egress difficult in a tight garage or parking space

Sedan:
- better utility
- B pillar is a blind spot [for me]
- better driving position/overall visibility

Since you already have experience with the sedan, then I say you should go down to carmax and try driving a coupe/vert to see if the driving position works for you. I know myself and some others in coupes struggle to get the right mix of control over the wheel/forward visibility/head hitting the roof.

I really like them both and, if given the choice for a DD, I'd lean towards the sedan for it's driving position and parking-lot-friendly-doors.

i agree with all of this. :)

i would love to have a ZHP 'vert someday. i love open-air motoring.

johnrando
03-13-2017, 08:15 AM
When talking blind spots, the B pillar on the vert is HUGE, definitely a larger than normal blind spot. Best way to correct that is the have the top down. :biggrin

ChrisV
03-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Yeah, still getting used to the blind spots on teh convertible with the top up. As you say, though, those blind spots go away with the top down!

For me, instead of wanting a ZHP and then deciding which body I wanted, I knew I wanted a vert first, and decided to get the best one available, which was the ZHP. I didn't have to be practical as the 740i Sport is the "practical" one in the family. ;)

NoVAphotog
03-13-2017, 01:02 PM
Hello,

Although I am a rookie on this the ZHP Mafia site (today is my fist day), I've read enough to know what the general consensus will be regarding which body style to purchase. However, for my own edification, I'd appreciate you input. Thanks in advance and I want to say that I am so glad to be part of the family. A special shout out to Dane who has been super patient with a rookie ZHP convert.

Thanks AZ

Here's the way I see it, keep in mind this is EXTREMELY biased and I love all ZHPs for what they are, just the way I played it and see the world through my Imola colored glasses:

Convertible - Too big. Roadsters or bust when it comes to no top.
Coupe - Might as well buy an M3

Sedan - The only choice. Preferably in Imola. The sedan is literally the reason the Package exists in the first place - was a consolation from BMW for not making a E46 M3 sedan. No reason to get the other two since you can go get an M3 coupe or convertible. Maintenance costs, s54 issues, blah blah blah...it doesn't matter...those versions of the M3 EXIST as options. With the sedan, again, there is no CHOICE. You have all the pros/cons of M vs non-m ownership and then the final nail is the extra doors. If you want them, it's a ZHP sedan. Not a sermon, just a thought - see bias disclaimer above.

Vas
03-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Here's the way I see it, keep in mind this is EXTREMELY biased and I love all ZHPs for what they are, just the way I played it and see the world through my Imola colored glasses:

Sedan - The only choice. Preferably in Imola. The sedan is literally the reason the Package exists in the first place - was a consolation from BMW for not making a E46 M3 sedan. No reason to get the other two since you can go get an M3 coupe or convertible. Maintenance costs, s54 issues, blah blah blah...it doesn't matter...those versions of the M3 EXIST as options. With the sedan, again, there is no CHOICE. You have all the pros/cons of M vs non-m ownership and then the final nail is the extra doors. If you want them, it's a ZHP sedan. Not a sermon, just a thought - see bias disclaimer above.

Shots fired...

Also there was a reason to why the zhp sedan in Imola was the car to showcase the zhp package back in 2003

NoVAphotog
03-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Shots fired...

:ducking

ChrisV
03-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Disagree, after having MG, Triumphs, etc AND Mustang, Lincoln, and Caddy convertibles. For me, I was going to get another convertible for summer fun cruising, and it had to be comfortable enough for my wife and I, which ruled out the small British/Italian/Miata cars, but small enough to be fun, which ruled out another Mustang or intermediate/full size domestic. My wife wanted an automatic this time around (she's been driving manual sporty cars for decades), which ruled out the horrendous M3 SMG. And the M3 was also well outside my price range (which I was keeping to under $10k). It needed to be reasonably quick, which ruled out the 325 versions. The ZHP is the perfect blend of all of them in convertible form. Comfortable, agile, quick, and stylish and an excellent value all around.

slater
03-13-2017, 02:28 PM

interesting, and excellent points, daniel.

personally.... TOURING is the only choice. LOL. ;)

NoVAphotog
03-13-2017, 02:29 PM
interesting, and excellent points, daniel.

personally.... TOURING is the only choice. LOL. ;)

:faceplam

Of Course!!

How could I forget?!

slater
03-13-2017, 02:33 PM
:faceplam

Of Course!!

How could I forget?!

i forgive you. ;)

i know it's not really a choice for most people. but i have an opportunity, and i gotta do it. :)

704sw
03-13-2017, 02:36 PM
I was originally looking for an Alpinweiß sedan, but after 2 sedans and a crossover for my 14 years behind the wheel, I really wanted the coupe (if for no other reason than to have something different). I find the driving position very comfortable, but I'm short so that's likely part of it.

I personally don't think a sedan without rear folding seats is any more utilitarian than the coupe, but that's just my opinion. In terms of "if you get a coupe you might as well get the M3" I totally disagree.
Was my budget M3-friendly? Yes.
Is the S54 what I want to DD? Not particularly, no.

san
03-13-2017, 03:05 PM
I personally don't think a sedan without rear folding seats is any less utilitarian than the coupe, but that's just my opinion. In terms of "if you get a coupe you might as well get the M3" I totally disagree.
Was my budget M3-friendly? Yes.
Is the S54 what I want to DD? Not particularly, no.

+1

BMWCurves
03-13-2017, 03:22 PM

http://i.imgur.com/j9L6RG1.gif

704sw
03-13-2017, 03:33 PM

Lol sorry

AZBP2
03-13-2017, 03:37 PM
WOW!! You gents really know your ZHPs and I am so glad I asked for the feedback. I did not imagine the different points of view and experiences, articulated in such a knowledgeable and friendly setting.

NoVAphotog
03-13-2017, 03:38 PM
WOW!! You gents really know your ZHPs and I am so glad I asked for the feedback. I did not imagine the different points of view and experiences, articulated in such a knowledgeable and friendly setting.

:thumbsup

Despite my comments above, as you can see, you really can't go wrong with any of them. All of them are a part of the Family.

AZBP2
03-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Absolutely..
I joined the family to learn about the ZHP and gather enough information/knowledge to make an informed decision on my 1st and maybe my only ZHP. I am sure getting a 1st rate education courtesy if you. I also now know that if lucky enough, I would like to be able to own one of each (albeit not at the same time because of $$) but throughout my journey here. They all have their "thing", depending on where you are in life. I am an empty nester so it's just my better half and me. Thanks

Reasoned1
03-13-2017, 03:52 PM
I love them all, but I've only had sedans--three 330s at the moment (an 04 ZHP 6MT, an 05 330xi 6MT, and an 04 330xi auto). I'm currently toying with the idea of losing the automatic for an 03 330cic 5MT. I like the businesslike look of a sedan... while coupes do look sporty, I've always had a thing for "sleeper" styling. I've ridden in convertibles a few times, and they are fun in the best of weather but, generally, I find the sun and wind bothersome (I'm not even a big fan of sun roofs), and the prospect of maintenance issues keeps scaring me away (my son had a roof tear on a newer Miata, and it was $2500 to replace). Like I said, though, I can't help fantasizing about those moments in the sun with the wind pleasantly buffeting my bald head as I wring out my I6!

704sw
03-13-2017, 04:33 PM
the prospect of maintenance issues keeps scaring me away (my son had a roof tear on a newer Miata, and it was $2500 to replace).
My old neighbor had her 325cic broken into (cut through the roof). It was replaced twice by the dealer and always leaked. She had to put a cover on if it even got cloudy. Pretty much turned me off to verts forever, which sucks.

jjbsilvia
03-14-2017, 05:38 AM
My 2 cents... I have a zhp coupe. I got it because I wanted a reasonably practical car but love the proportions and weight of the m coupes. Zhp coupes hard top was the perfect fit and I LOVE my car. I travelled with an infant and found the 2 door was no issue at all, trunk space fits my golf clubs etc. I find there are few days when I wish it was a vert. I have a jeep and again, don't find the perfect day often enough to take that out top less so I think the idea of the vertical for me was better than actually owning one.

My coupe with the big side windows, sunroof popped, ac on and warm tires is all I really ever need. Unless you do the Pacific Coast Highway once a week I think the coupe is a solid upside without the vert option.

I also love not having that black body stripe on the sedan. Looks-wise, CI for me.

The sedan is the true pedigree of the zhp option but I would not trade my coupe now that I have owned it through all seasons a few times. I personally envy the vert 2 times a year but enjoy the hard top benefits 10-20 times more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hcbeck2689
03-14-2017, 06:11 AM

Best response ever. Although I will say that I 100% agree with NoVa. Well, except for the IR part. :ducking

johnrando
03-14-2017, 07:06 AM
I totally get what Daniel says, and the "logic" of that thinking. I completely disagree, but it makes sense and of course everyone is allowed to have an opinion. I too would much rather have a 2-seater convertible. HOW-EV-A, with kids, a 2-seater makes zero sense. So, given that, this VERT was (and still is) one of the best options available, even after all these years. Fortunately I do have a 2-seater convertible Triumph TR8 too, when I had before kids, which I am going to get back to shape this year. And as for the M3, I don't think you can "blah blah blah" those differences, they are very real. There is a reason the ZHP is voted the best daily driver and not the M3, as awesome a car as it is.

John in VA
03-14-2017, 08:57 AM
My old neighbor had her 325cic broken into (cut through the roof). It was replaced twice by the dealer and always leaked. She had to put a cover on if it even got cloudy. Pretty much turned me off to verts forever, which sucks.

That's why I've been eyeing a >2009 Z4, as impractical as they are...

danewilson77
03-14-2017, 09:16 AM
Lmao

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

704sw
03-14-2017, 09:21 AM
That's why I've been eyeing a >2009 Z4, as impractical as they are...

I've always wanted a 3.0L Z3/M Roadster.
I think the obvious solution is an E36/8 Clownshoe.

Adi
03-14-2017, 09:31 AM
I can only offer some limited insight, as in our market we did not have the E46 330i available as a coupe, only a convertible. Equally, the closest we got to the ZHP was M-sport, so the experience is similar but not identical.

I have owned a 330i M-sport sedan and an M3, both as daily drivers. I will disregard the significant differences between M and non-M for daily driving duties. I echo the sentiments about the differences in driving position and visibility between the coupe and the sedan. Thankfully, I am short and so the visibility was fine, but I did always feel quite close to the roof/a-pillar in my ideal driving position. I always wondered if taller people would feel claustrophobic. The longer doors of the coupe are definitely something to consider when in tight parking spaces, but I always managed with the M3 as I learnt to be extra careful, and I am small enough to squeeze in and out of a tight door-opening gap.

I can't really comment on the convertible much, other than the fact that I love convertibles because of our climate here in Cape Town. Having said that, convertibles come with rattles, wind noise and extra weight, and less body rigidity. If sharp handling is high on your list, then perhaps the sedan or coupe is the one to go for. If you can live with some highway wind noise (others please comment on this), and feel you would capitalise on the top-down experience, then I think a ZHP vert is a great option. It is staggering beautiful in my opinion. In my mind for appearance: Vert > Coupe > Sedan.

At the end of the day, the only person who can answer this question is you. It is undeniably a subjective decision that only has relevance to the things that matter to you and that things that don't. Definitely go and drive a coupe or convertible to experience the relative pro's and con's.

AZBP2
03-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Awesome input all around Thanks to every one opined.

NYRhockey
03-14-2017, 04:33 PM
I personally think the coupes look a bit "off", nor do i like the long, flat line of the convertible when you're looking at it from the side (start of pillar to end of trunk), so in a biased way i say go with the sedan.

This is what i drive as my convertible (not mine but same color)

johnrando
03-15-2017, 06:37 AM
I like that long flat line but I also like a little "differentiation" so that's why I have a spoiler on mine (not shown in my profile pic).

WALSTIB
03-20-2017, 06:42 PM
I totally get what Daniel says, and the "logic" of that thinking. I completely disagree, but it makes sense and of course everyone is allowed to have an opinion. I too would much rather have a 2-seater convertible. HOW-EV-A, with kids, a 2-seater makes zero sense. So, given that, this VERT was (and still is) one of the best options available, even after all these years. Fortunately I do have a 2-seater convertible Triumph TR8 too, when I had before kids, which I am going to get back to shape this year. And as for the M3, I don't think you can "blah blah blah" those differences, they are very real. There is a reason the ZHP is voted the best daily driver and not the M3, as awesome a car as it is.

I knew I liked you. A black ZHP convertible and a Triumph. Sounds like my garage, I've had a '73 TR6 since about 1990. Daily drove it for quite a few years. Doesn't get driven too much anymore.

johnrando
03-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Sweet! Same with my TR8. I came ever so close to buying a TR6.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AZBP2
03-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback gents! Tomorrow I will be in the west coast checking out ZHP VERT and ready to buy it if the PPI is clean.

inwill update you as to what happens.

AZBP2
03-20-2017, 07:24 PM
I will send an update once I drive it away.

Vas
03-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Fingers crossed

AZBP2
03-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Thanks Vas

johnrando
03-20-2017, 07:47 PM
GL!

AZBP2
03-21-2017, 06:30 PM
Decided to pass on the Vert. PPI revealed issues so back on the market but this time for a sedan or coupe

Vas
03-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Decided to pass on the Vert. PPI revealed issues so back on the market but this time for a sedan or coupe

Anything major?

oclvframe
03-22-2017, 03:04 AM
Interested to hear what turned you off about the 'vert....

-r

AZBP2
03-23-2017, 04:39 PM
I flew out to LA and after conducting a thorough PPI, the mechanic walked me and the owner around the vehicle pointing out the problems, major and minor alike. Although the mileage seemed low, the vehicle seemed higher mileage......

AZBP2
03-23-2017, 04:59 PM
PPI report revealed many issues with the car. Relying on the report, the mechanic said that the car appeared to have been neglected from lack of maintenance.

fredo
03-23-2017, 05:32 PM
That was money wisely spent on the PPI. In for details about findings.

AZBP2
03-23-2017, 05:35 PM
Everyone buying a used vehicle should hire a professional to conduct a thorough PPI.

hcbeck2689
03-25-2017, 05:28 AM
Everyone buying a used vehicle should hire a professional to conduct a thorough PPI.

+1000

Reasoned1
03-25-2017, 10:27 AM
I, too, have benefitted from having PPI done. I've had a valve cover gasket replaced, a wheel repaired, and various minor fixes done as a result of PPI's. I didn't do it on my last purchase, and I got lucky, but I missed a bunch of little stuff. NEVER RUSH AND ALWAYS GET A PPI.

hcbeck2689
03-25-2017, 02:47 PM
I didn't get one done on my m3 and lost over 2k because of it. I definitely hot one on the recent x5 purchase

BMWCurves
03-25-2017, 03:12 PM
Getting a PPI is all part of doing due diligence for buying a car, in my opinion. I wouldn't buy a car without it

fredo
03-25-2017, 03:24 PM
I skipped the PPI when I bought the ZHP. Mainly due to these facts : I test drove the car, enthusiast seller (ZHP Mafia member), svc recs handy. No surprises found afterwards.

oclvframe
03-25-2017, 03:55 PM
I simply took my buddy that is a BMW Indy mechanic with me to get mine....it was awesome. We sat in the car for a good 45 min while he ran every possible diagnostic he could on his computer. All was good. Once we got it home he went through it with a fine tooth comb and only a couple of little things came up so he took care of them and we've been good since then.

-r

AZBP2
03-25-2017, 05:09 PM
Due diligence is key! Beeleeve Me

UdubBadger
03-25-2017, 05:39 PM
Do I need to link my E46 M3 thread?

Lol

Get a PPI

AZBP2
03-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Just got back from California and will post the results of the PPI on the 2006 ZHP Vert ASAP.

AZBP2
03-26-2017, 10:20 AM
I was out there on business but also made time to test drive other ZHPs and even watch some baseball. By luck of geography, I was able to see the US team win the World Baseball Classic gold medal game against Puerto Rico. The undefeated Puerto Rico team was amazing during the tournament but the US had the best pitching that night. Nothing like California weather and baseball! The trip was totally worth it.

johnrando
03-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Good stuff!