PDA

View Full Version : BMW 330 ZHP Tires: Recommended Tires for a ZHP in 2017.

AZBP2
03-26-2017, 11:19 AM
Hello Famiglia,

I am looking for your input on the best tires available for a BMW ZHP. I live in Texas where winters are mild and snow is not an issue. The car is a DD on a daily commute of @50 miles r/t. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Damian
03-26-2017, 11:31 AM
I run Hankook Ventus V12 and we have roughly the same commute. They have enough grip for daily and some spirited driving, last a while and are budget friendly.

-Damian SoCal
2003 ZHP 6MT Jet Black, black cube, CDV-ectomy, ESS TS2, UUC LWFW & Stage 1 clutch, MFactory LSD 3.38, Alcantara pillars, clutch stop

UdubBadger
03-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Looks like you're probably best going with some good summers. This is a thread that will be debated till death - everyone has their own preference on tires.

Best advice is go to tire rack, choose some Ultra High or Max Performance summer tires, decide on your budget and then use the survey's to compare your 2-3 top choices with each other.

Most will say Conti DW, Hankook V12s or Bridgestone S-04's will give you best "bang for your buck" in the max category.

Pilot Super Sports are best performers but may be more pricey. Worth it if you do auto-x or track days though.

anandoc
03-26-2017, 12:07 PM
I just bought a set of Sumitomo HTR Z III for my summers today. I had a set for the last 3 years and chose to stick with the same brand because it is wallet friendly and have enough grip for me to have some fun. They seem to have decent ratings on Tirerack:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z+III

BADCLOWN
03-26-2017, 01:34 PM
I've got continental dws06 on my style 135s and my BBS CH wheels and love them.

fredo
03-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Howdy, AZ. Where in TX ? Austin here. I have the Conti DW. Good tires, but they are discontinued. My next set will be a Michelin.

Reasoned1
03-26-2017, 02:44 PM
I've had great luck with Michelins on cars from small cars to big SUV's--in terms of performance AND reliability. In fact, I'm currently running Defenders on a Buick (don't laugh), Premier A/S's on my automatic 330xi, Pilot Super Sports on my ZHP, and LTX M/S2's on a Dodge Durango. The manual 330xi I just bought came with new Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2's and, while I don't have anything against the performance, I just had to replace one due to a tire bulge in the sidewall which, I read, is not all that uncomon. I have NEVER had a problem of any kind with Michelins.

The PSS's feel wonderful to me, get terrific reviews, seem emblematic of the ZHP, and are even discounted by Tire Rack ($10) and Michelin ($70) as we write. You decide...

BMWCurves
03-26-2017, 03:00 PM
Howdy, AZ. Where in TX ? Austin here. I have the Conti DW. Good tires, but they are discontinued. My next set will be a Michelin.

They're on closeout now. $85 from TireRack in 245/40R17 size. Would be a good cheap option.

Vas
03-26-2017, 04:41 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents since I tried pretty much all the popular options in stock zhp sizes.

Been through the Bridgestone s04, continental dw, continental dws(all season tire) and hankook ventus evo 2. Also just ordered the new continental extreme contact sport to replace the worn out Bridgestone s04.

Never spent the extra money on the michelin pilot super sport so I have no experience with those. But keep in mind the pilot super sport is going to be phased out and replace with michelin pilot sport 4s.

Also the continental dw is being phased out right now so that is why they are pretty cheap on tirerack.

Bridgestone s04 provide alot of grip in the dry, great steering response. Downside is they are on the firm side over road imperfections and when they are close to the wear indicators they start to show tramlinimg. All the reviews for them state they are close to the michelin pilot super sport at a cheaper cost.

Continental dw provide amazing grip in the rain and are very quite. But the steering response is mushy from the soft sidewall. Overall grip is good in the dry.

Hankook Ventus v12 evo 2 provide amazing steering response. Overall grip in the dry is good but not great and in the wet they are a bit of a letdown. Cost wise they are probably the cheapest tire out there in their category.

My recommendation based on my experience would be the Bridgestone s04 but if you want to spend less the Hankook Ventus v12 Evo 2.

However all the stuff I read about the new continental extreme contact sport promises them to be on par with the michelin pilot super sport. I would go with them before ordering the michelin imo.

Hope that helps.

UdubBadger
03-27-2017, 08:11 PM

New model is same tire with better compound and new name but same tread style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZBP2
03-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Fredo, I am in Houston although I've lived all over this great state. In the market for a ZHP, any model is good. I started with a 06 Vert in LA that turned out to be a lemon after the PPI. Now I'm negotiating on a coupe and should know something in the next day or two.

san
03-29-2017, 02:43 AM
DW are so cheap right now with the $70 mail back rebate. Almost makes me want to buy them even though I don't need them lol

AZBP2
03-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Will 17s fit?

holyc0w
03-29-2017, 03:47 PM
What would they fit on?

The stock 135 style wheels are staggered 18s.

AZBP2
03-29-2017, 04:06 PM
I also drive a 2007 GLI 2.0 6MT with 17's. Sounds like a good deal

AZBP2
03-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Found the DWs on TireRack but only rear. The 225/40-18 are not available any more I guess.

dpark
03-30-2017, 06:15 PM
I recent bought the Barum Bravuris 3HM from Discount Tires. Cheapest tires I could find in the staggered OEM sizes and have been pleasantly surprised with the grip and noise levels.

AZBP2
03-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Thanks dpark

AZBP2
04-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all your valuable advice.

I bought the set from TireRack and had the new tires delivered yesterday. Now scheduling an appointment at local tire shop to mount and balance them. While there I also want to align the car as the car drifts to the right with the current (balding on the inside of the tire)... Is there anything specific to remember when taking the car in for an alignment? Does it have to be at the dealership or can the Tire Shop do it well?

Back in 2005 I owned an e46 325 with the sports package. The dealership aligned it once and I remember them loading something onto the back seat... I seem to remember the tech saying something about the need to add weight on the back seat..? Any idea about this? Or will it be ok to take it say Firestone or NTB?

fredo
04-21-2017, 03:02 AM
Congrats on the new tires !

I believe Firestone or NTB will be ok for the alignment. Just make sure they use the "sports with size 18 wheels" settings (they may not have available the "performance" settings in their systems). Some places put weight on the trunk or back seats to simulate a full passenger load. It's also recommended you fill up the gas tank.

In Firestone you may consider their lifetime alignment, specially if you plan to keep the car for a long term. That's what I did with my first BMW, e36.

Now I have the alignment done at my Indy, you don't need the dealer for it. Its a little pricey, $189, but they (indy) do an excellent job. Post your before/after specs here, and we can advise if the numbers look right. GL.

AZBP2
04-21-2017, 07:21 AM
Thanks! I dropped it off this morning at Firestone and will pick it up during lunch time. I did purchase the lifetime alignment on sale for $155 (usually $200ish). We also discussed adding weight in the back seats during the alignment. Will see how they fared and go from there on other service the car will need down the road. Still searching for an Indy shop down here preferably closer to home.

AZBP2
04-21-2017, 07:23 AM
Just got a call: they suggest rear brakes as they are ready for a change and the rear shocks which are starting to go. $450 brakes and about the same for the shocks... thoughts?

Vas
04-21-2017, 07:41 AM
Just got a call: they suggest rear brakes as they are ready for a change and the rear shocks which are starting to go. $450 brakes and about the same for the shocks... thoughts?

Pass

san
04-21-2017, 09:12 AM
+1

ELCID86
04-21-2017, 04:33 PM
Thanks! I dropped it off this morning at Firestone and will pick it up during lunch time. I did purchase the lifetime alignment on sale for $155 (usually $200ish). We also discussed adding weight in the back seats during the alignment. Will see how they fared and go from there on other service the car will need down the road. Still searching for an Indy shop down here preferably closer to home.

I wish the firestone here did alignments on our cars. That's a great price.

fredo
04-22-2017, 04:16 AM
I read the rear struts are really easy to replace. I found online (rockauto.com) the OEM Sachs rears for $54 each (PN 556882). I remember you are not a DIY guy (I'm the same way) so I would buy them online and find an Indy that lets you take your own parts.

As for the brakes, ask for a 2nd opinion. My local tire shop made the same comment when they repaired a tire on the X3. But the iDrive says I still have 15,000 miles before they are due for replacement.

Did they do a good alignment ?

ELCID86
04-22-2017, 05:52 AM
Rear shocks are pretty easy. One bolt on the bottom and two up top. I'd recommend putting in the Rogue RSM.
Edit: go Koni yellow.

BMWM3186
04-22-2017, 06:55 AM
Would be curious to know everyone's experience with firestone, Im a bit weary of trusting them with my car but $150 is what my dealer charges for one alignment.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

san
04-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Would be curious to know everyone's experience with firestone, Im a bit weary of trusting them with my car but $150 is what my dealer charges for one alignment.

A friend of mine has been using Firestone for the last 3 years with no issues. You may have to give them the alignment settings the first time as they may not have the Zhp settings.

BMWM3186
04-22-2017, 08:12 AM
Here are my alignment settings from the dealer. I browsed some other threads and saw that some other people had more negative camber on the rear than I do, what's the deal with that? Did they align it to the non sport settings?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170422/c080845814fabe2edfbd73be5ac5dbdd.jpg

holyc0w
04-22-2017, 08:32 AM
These don't seem like the sport settings. I'm guessing the target is the spec they were aiming for. I'm not sure why the left an right target for camber would be different? NASCAR?

IIRC, the sport settings specify -1.8 to 2.3 for the rear. Your right rear is at ~-1.42 degrees and right left is at ~-1.45 degrees (converting from DMS).

edit: It looks like the standard suspension specifies 1.5 degrees for the rear, so they got the wrong setup. I'm still wondering about the difference in the target values.

BMWM3186
04-22-2017, 08:57 AM
These don't seem like the sport settings. I'm guessing the target is the spec they were aiming for. I'm not sure why the left an right target for camber would be different? NASCAR?

IIRC, the sport settings specify -1.8 to 2.3 for the rear. Your right rear is at ~-1.42 degrees and right left is at ~-1.45 degrees (converting from DMS).

edit: It looks like the standard suspension specifies 1.5 degrees for the rear, so they got the wrong setup. I'm still wondering about the difference in the target values.
Here is what Bentley says, definitely looks like they used the standard suspension settings, nice to know that maybe I can get better handling by just having it aligned properly...

Is camber different on the left since that's where I sit? Something to do with weight distribution? I don't know anything about alignments.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170422/6e68d8046550835926e8f5eb06142c09.jpg

holyc0w
04-22-2017, 09:15 AM
Is camber different on the left since that's where I sit? Something to do with weight distribution? I don't know anything about alignments.

That makes sense. I'm guessing the difference would be to account for the weight.

AZBP2
04-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Dumb question: how can I attach a photo in here [emoji15]

AZBP2
04-22-2017, 09:36 AM
I'd like to share the Firestone alignment results form yesterday. I'd also like to share part of the conversation I had with the techs regarding the 4-Wheel Total Alignment...

BMWM3186
04-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Dumb question: how can I attach a photo in here [emoji15]

On my tapatalk app, I can click the little up arrow on quick message and attach a photo.

ELCID86
04-22-2017, 12:02 PM
On IOS it's the "circle +" on the left.

AZBP2
04-22-2017, 03:41 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170422/bd832cfbf09c17a206fd83952f4071fd.jpg

Here is what we ended up with at Firestone, yesterday... I asked about the reason for the red numbers... why couldn't they align the wheels to recommended settings. I was told that the tech discovered that the lower control arms bushings are deteriorated and for that reason, the alignment could not be fine tuned...pinpointed.

I was also told that the tech worked on the alignment for a long time (according to the store manager). I was promised that once the lower control arms are replaced, and better yet, the rear shocks replaced, the alignment will work.

I already paid for the alignment for life and they said that if they couldn't sling it AFTER replacing the control arms, they will reimburse me the $150.

I'm new to this and ask for your input based on your experience and expertise.

Thanks

holyc0w
04-22-2017, 04:33 PM
AFAIK, they could still adjust to spec with blown shocks. The issue is probably one of the bushings/control arms. Also, it looks like they also used the standard/non-sport suspension specs for the alignment.

fredo
04-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Is the car driving better now ?

Years ago, I had a Buick Century. I bought the lifetime alignment for it in Firestone. At some point, they told me the car needed suspension work (they showed me the front tires had slight play while car was on lift) and if they aligned it before repairs, the alignment would be out of specs real quick. I believe they were able to align it anyways.

AZBP2
04-22-2017, 05:54 PM
The car is actually driving great. I want to fix the control arms soon though

AZBP2
04-23-2017, 08:21 AM
Shopping for the lower control arms. Any ideas on where to look? On the break job, I called Momentum BMW and they quoted me $350 parts and labor (with BMW parts). Firestone was $545. FS was quoting Akebono parts and labor. Has anyone here used Akebono?

Vas
04-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Fcp euro has a nice kit with rotors and Akenobo pads for a reasonable price. Good quite bad. Check it out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AZBP2
04-23-2017, 11:26 AM
Much appreciated. Thanks, I'll check them out.

John in VA
04-23-2017, 11:55 AM
Shopping for the lower control arms. Any ideas on where to look?

Started as a tire thread, now switched to LCAs - you should start a new thread, or review the many posted previously, as prices change.
You can use the following tool to see prices from many vendors, once you know the part #s - you can find them at realoem.com or bmwfans.info:
http://www.furiousmethod.com/

AZBP2
04-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Thanks

fredo
04-23-2017, 08:58 PM
I used akebono ceramic pads on my e90, with the goal of avoiding brake dust. I was very happy with the results.

ZHPizza
04-24-2017, 01:47 AM
I used akebono ceramic pads on my e90, with the goal of avoiding brake dust. I was very happy with the results.
I thought I saw somewhere that you lose the initial bite with the low dust pads. Was that the case for you?

fredo
04-24-2017, 04:35 AM
I didn't notice any difference. However, I don't track or auto cross.

AZBP2
06-26-2017, 11:53 AM
AFAIK, they could still adjust to spec with blown shocks. The issue is probably one of the bushings/control arms. Also, it looks like they also used the standard/non-sport suspension specs for the alignment.

Replaced the LCA bushings (the LCAs were fine), went back to Firestone and they were able to perform alignment. Tip if the hat to you gents for the assist.

AZBP2
06-30-2018, 04:23 AM
After a brake job, where I replaced rotors, pads and sensors, I took the car back to firestone to check on the alignment. It has been been a year since my last visit and I might as well take advantage of the alignments for life plan I purchased last year.

The alignment was slightly off and they did notice a little bit of cupping on the front left tire... after doing some research on here, it seems like this could be a shock problem. I’ve been delaying replacing the shock & struts since the car only 67k miles on the clock, but it may be time to pull the trigger.

However, before doing so, I want to check with y’all to see if there are other possible causes for the cupping. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Manny

nsk040
07-02-2018, 12:43 PM
If by cupping you mean a slight flat spot forming across the tire...I had this happen around 100k on the original shocks. Can you actually notice this while driving, or are you just going off of what the shop said? How many miles on the tires?

AZBP2
07-18-2018, 08:17 AM
The tires have ~ 10k miles. The cupping I see is on the 2 front tires outside edge where the tires is barely starting to scallop. The car sometimes feels bouncy on the road. My gut says shocks and struts... My car just hit 66,800 miles.

I took it to Firestone for a checkup and alignment (since last year I bought the alignments for life deal). What I have not done is “rotate”the tires. Thoughts ?

I’ll try to attach the alignment results.

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/a7aaad7b412d9989b7d45f68af284e05.jpg[/IMG]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/fb3916aaf72530308052cbaf08a7008f.jpg

fredo
07-18-2018, 08:31 AM
I have the OEM setup (225 40 18 on front, 255 35 18 on rear) and then rotation is out of the pic for me. What setup do you have ?

AZBP2
07-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Fredo: Same as your set up: 225-40ZR18, 255-35ZR18. So no way of rotating these left to right/right to left. It is what it is :).

So shocks. Originals are Sachs and the price is good. There’s also Bilstein, also at a good price (actually less than Sachs) and Koni yellows. For my DD I am leaning Sachs. There are also kits available that include reinforcement items. Any other suggestions? Thanks

BMWCurves
07-18-2018, 09:11 AM
Fredo: Same as your set up: 225-40ZR18, 255-35ZR18. So no way of rotating these left to right/right to left. It is what it is :).

So shocks. Originals are Sachs and the price is good. There’s also Bilstein, also at a good price (actually less than Sachs) and Koni yellows. For my DD I am leaning Sachs. There are also kits available that include reinforcement items. Any other suggestions? Thanks

I love my Koni Sports. I have them ¾ turn from soft on all four corners and it improved both ride comfort and performance. Other members swear by Koni FSDs, and new ones are coming out so you might wait a bit for them. I also picked the Konis because they have anecdotal lifespan roughly double the Sachs units.

ZHPizza
07-18-2018, 10:28 AM
I love my Koni Sports. I have them ¾ turn from soft on all four corners and it improved both ride comfort and performance. Other members swear by Koni FSDs, and new ones are coming out so you might wait a bit for them. I also picked the Konis because they have anecdotal lifespan roughly double the Sachs units.

+1 koni sports for sporty feeling dd/track, koni fsd (or whatever the new red bois are called) for better handling and comfort than the sachs

nsk040
07-18-2018, 11:33 AM
AZBP2: I've heard ppl use the phrase cupping in 2 ways when talking about tires so I had to clarify. My cupping (basically a flat spot across the tire left to right), was probably shock related, yours is likely not shock related. Do you lean on the car pretty hard in corners? If so, that could definitely be the reason you're getting some outside edge wear. You could just increase camber to address this up front.

For shocks, I went with Bilstien HDs. If I had it do again I'd do OEM sachs or Koni. My HDs seem a bit mis-matched with my OEM springs. People with Konis don't seem to have this problem. 100% replace all the other misc. components while you're in there for the shocks. No sense in paying for (or doing) like 8 hours of labor and trying and save a hundred on inexpensive parts.

Keep in mind with shocks that you can only change the behavior of the car so much with shocks; they are only active when the car is in transition. Once a car is in a corner, the shock is meaningless. Springs, bars, alignment, ride height...to say nothing of driving style, all have a huge impact on what you feel.

AZBP2
07-18-2018, 11:54 AM
This is what I mean by scalloping. The outer edge of the tire raise up a little bit.

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/bd2d2b349a0b7174a1b08da87465aa8b.png[/IMG]

Vas
07-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Before new tires , I would get that rear camber back into spec. Too drastic of a difference between the 2 sides.

AZBP2
07-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Thanks

AZBP2
07-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Thank you, Vas.

BMWM3186
07-18-2018, 05:07 PM
AZBP2: I've heard ppl use the phrase cupping used in 2 ways when talking about tires so I had to clarify. My cupping (basically a flat spot across the tire left to right), was probably shock related, yours is likely not shock related. Do you lean on the car pretty hard in corners? If so, that could definitely be the reason you're getting some outside edge wear. You could just increase camber to address this up front.

For shocks, I went with Bilstien HDs. If I had it do again I'd do OEM sachs or Koni. My HDs seem a bit mis-matched with my OEM springs. People with Konis don't seem to have this problem. 100% replace all the other misc. components while you're in there for the shocks. No sense in paying for (or doing) like 8 hours of labor and trying and save a hundred on inexpensive parts.

Keep in mind with shocks that you can only change the behavior of the car so much with shocks; they are only active when the car is in transition. Once a car is in a corner, the shock is meaningless. Springs, bars, alignment, ride height...to say nothing of driving style, all have a huge impact on what you feel.Do you feel that the stock springs are too soft for the firmness of the bilsteins? Planning a future suspension and have seen some H&R/eibach springs to go along with the bilsteins.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk

nsk040
07-19-2018, 05:25 AM
The point is that the shock and spring need to be matched. BMW did a great job with the ZHP out of the box...I'd say if you're not willing to get springs that are designed specifically for whatever shocks you buy, just go with OEM sachs.

Sailor
05-25-2019, 07:21 PM
This thread has been dormant for almost a year, so I'll give it a wake-up shake by going back to the "preferred tires" discussion. Because I've known and worked with the dealer for 25+ years and because I had good luck with his Coopers on my other cars, I decided to try the Zeons on my ZHP. After a year and almost 16k on them, I have been VERY satisfied. Sweet, responsive handling, plenty of traction, smooth and quiet, and surprisingly good wear. Cooper has a "wear square" molded into the center rib - when one side of the square is no longer there, you have used up 25% of the tread, two sides 50%, etc. A clever and handy way to let you figure what sort of life is left in the tire. Mine are showing three sides, so a rough conservative guess is that they have 1/2 to 2/3 life remaining. They are warranteed for 50k IF ON A SQUARE setup, but only half that if staggered. I was hoping for 25 to 30 thousand - after all they are a soft, high performance tire. Now it looks like mine might go 30+ thousand. Compared to my wife's Accord's rubber, they are much more expensive per mile, but then we didn't buy this car to pinch pennies. Compared to what guys are saying about the Michelins and Pirellis they are very competitive, and the dealer is super good about putting my car on the rack to check things out from time to time. My next set will be the same, Zeon G-1s.

ZHPizza
05-25-2019, 07:30 PM
@Sailor the RS3-G1's have been great for me too. Smooth, quiet, and grippy. They even held their own on the track.

I put on the new Michelin PS4S's for the summer and the grip is just unreal. I thought it would be worth it for the added confidence on the track, but I haven't been out there yet to confirm.

Both great tires, but if you want a year round tire, the Cooper's are a no brainier.

Boris3
06-30-2019, 06:31 AM
Looking at the PS4S as well. The Continental Extreme Sports that came on my car are close the wear bars and howl like offroad mudders.

A local temptation popped up on CL, but I'm wondering if I should walk away. The ad lists set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports (BMW Star version) off of a 2016 M235i. Owner bought the car new and then swapped the tires for all seasons after 2000 miles. Sizes are 225/40ZR18 fronts and 245/35ZR18 rears. I'm waiting for more details on tread depth but figure at best a 2015 build date and the rears are not the 330i zhp size, plus old tech. Seller is asking $375. Thoughts?

ZHPizza
06-30-2019, 07:30 AM
Looking at the PS4S as well. The Continental Extreme Sports that came on my car are close the wear bars and howl like offroad mudders.

A local temptation popped up on CL, but I'm wondering if I should walk away. The ad lists set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports (BMW Star version) off of a 2016 M235i. Owner bought the car new and then swapped the tires for all seasons after 2000 miles. Sizes are 225/40ZR18 fronts and 245/35ZR18 rears. I'm waiting for more details on tread depth but figure at best a 2015 build date and the rears are not the 330i zhp size, plus old tech. Seller is asking $375. Thoughts?I'd try to confirm those sizes. Doesn't make sense for the rear to be 245/35 as the diameter wouldn't match the front. I'm wondering if the seller goofed and meant to put 255.

That's a great deal on a great tire even though they're "old tech." The PS4S is better for sure, but only marginally.

Boris3
06-30-2019, 08:04 AM
Thanks. My first thought as well was that the seller had made a mistake but the pictures with the ad show the tire sidewall and it is 245. Checked the car specs for the 2016 235i and 225/40/18 fronts and 245/35/18 rear are the listed tire sizes. Hard to tell what makes sense any more.

bandwagn
06-30-2019, 06:48 PM
Those sizes are correct for the M235 - I need new tires and have been looking at wheel packages as well since my 135’s are bent - ran across a set of take offs and had to confirm since it seems odd that the rears would be smaller than the fronts

M235i 320hp 225/40ZR18 / 245/35ZR18 7.5Jx18 ET45 / 8Jx18 ET52 5x120 M14 x 1.25 72.6

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/2-series/2015/

Boris3
07-01-2019, 02:34 PM
bandwagon, thanks.

Since my 135s are still good I'm just on a tire hunt. Turns out the M235 in the Star BMW PSS has standard load tires front and extra load (xl) tires rear, but runs extra load front and rear in the Michelin PS4 and other brands. Not sure I get why the difference. Anyway, per Tire Rack the ZHP runs extra load tires front and rear.

RPM ZHP
07-01-2019, 05:03 PM
In the spring I took a chance on the new General GMax AS 05. Good Tire Rack reviews and the price was right. After 2k I really like them.

Boris3
07-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Stopped by to look at the seller's PSS yesterday. They were in great shape with slightly under 8/32 tread depth remaining. Seller wanted them gone (new Porsche had replaced the M235i) so he took $300 for the set.

fredo
07-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Good deal, congrats.

330i Lover
07-21-2019, 04:40 AM
I love Michelin tires but hate their price tag. Heck, I hate all the price tags on all tires. BUT! I did some research and found a Nankang tire (Nankang NS-25 All Season 245/40R18XL 97H BSW) that fits beautifully and is super cheap. The ride quality is very impressive and after having them on for 5k miles I couldn't be more pleased. Discount Tire/TireRack sells Nankang but when I inquired about getting more in stock they said it would take 3-4 weeks so I went on eBay and found a set of 4 (I have square setup of 4 rears) out the door for $268. I paid a local shop $100 to install them and voila'. If we have to replace our tires every 20k miles anyway, might as well spend $400 vs. $800+ for all the other options. Just my take. "tires-easy" is the seller's eBay info.

https://ebay.us/7IjZoD

AZBP2
07-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Good deal, congrats.

+1

AZBP2
11-01-2019, 02:35 PM
Gents; hope you all had a good week. Houston is on suicide watch with the Astros losing game 7 of the World Series... but it was a great series, if you love baseball. Congrats to the Nats; life goes on. It’s been a while since I visited the site. Work travel galore! My DD just hit 77k miles and the back tires are starting to go. I re-read this post and someone recommended the Cooper RS3-G1. Found a good deal and just placed the order. So thank you again for your insight. It’s good to come home.

AZBP2
11-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Thank you, Sailor and ZHPizza.