PDA

View Full Version : Aesthetic preference for sedan or coupe?

SWO Daddy
04-05-2017, 05:42 PM
I threw up a question on FB last night and received a few responses regarding aesthetic preference for the e46 sedan or coupe. Wanted to open up the question to a larger audience so thought I'd post here as well.

"As a big fan of the e46, I've had numerous over the years. Aside from my current ZHP vert, these were my last two. I know we all buy our cars for different reasons i.e. practicality, family, track, daily, show, etc... Loved my coupe, but I think I prefer the roof line and proportions of the sedan. Am curious what's your preference just from the aesthetics perspective?"

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/image285.jpg

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/medium/DSC00014a.jpg

rguti153
04-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Both equally the same, but I go for sedan but because I have one .

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

san
04-05-2017, 05:57 PM
I think the coupe looks better, maybe I'm biased. I like the side profile and the rear end of the coupe much more, partially because of the LED tail lights...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John in VA
04-05-2017, 06:17 PM
I have 6 sedans (2 being E46s), so I found the 330ci a beautiful change, like san said above.

terraphantm
04-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Non-M I prefer sedan, but overall I prefer the M3.

Go Horns!
04-05-2017, 06:39 PM
E46 sedan still turns my head

BMWCurves
04-05-2017, 07:28 PM
This is a discussion that will go in circles, IMO. But here's my $0.02:

First, I prefer facelifted E46s over pre-facelifted E46s. I look at a pre-facelifted E46 and think they are beginning to age i.e. look as old as they are. Facelifted E46s, on the other hand, look like they could have been sold just a few years ago, or even today, although most cars today have a very different aesthetic.

Next, I prefer the M-Tech II aero kit that came with a ZHP more than any other body kit available on the E46, even the M3. I think it looks sleek and has the right amount of reserved aggression and subtle design cues that make it look great. I don't like the M3's front end as much, but I would love to have the flared wheel arches of the M3 on a ZHP.

Finally, body styles. I give an ever so slight edge in looks to the coupe. I think the exterior lines are crisper and more sporty than the sedan; the coupe is almost 3" wider than the sedan (that's according to Wikipedia, so I'm not sure how much I buy that, but I do know it is wider by some amount). The side skirts on the coupe flare out more I believe. I prefer the rippled side mirror caps of the coupe. The more rearward position of the coupe's B pillar looks better suited IMO. I think the headlamp design looks a little more modern and cohesive as well. Inside, I prefer the heft of the door and the trim on the door handles, plus they have cushions (sedans do not). I do prefer the lack of amber bumper reflectors on the sedan and in some ways I prefer the three layers of the tail lights on sedans. I prefer the coupe's factory LEDs though. All that said, the differences are small and subtle and if I had the choice between two of the exact same ZHPs, one a coupe and the other a sedan, I would have a tough time not picking the sedan purely for the added utility of rear doors.

But, in an ideal world, I'd have a ZHP touring so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PdZHP
04-05-2017, 07:59 PM
+1 Agree

holyc0w
04-05-2017, 09:51 PM

Same

I'm not a big fan of the face-lifted coupe headlights, mainly the frosted side part. It's probably just something that sticks out in pictures to me.

ELCID86
04-06-2017, 01:27 AM
E46 sedan still turns my head

+1. And I like having rear doors for easy access to the back seat. We have had one Ci in our stable but my long legged son (then 22) wanted a sedan IOT better fit his long legged friends...

Aeternalis
04-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Pre-facelift coupe (and M3) and facelift sedan are my E46 favorites.

RedAtom
04-07-2017, 05:43 PM
I too have a sedan. I am going with post-face lift sedan in the runner up and M3 coupe overall.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

cakM3
04-08-2017, 03:48 AM

I find I'm in agreement here [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SWO Daddy
04-08-2017, 05:08 AM
Interesting responses here. Proves the adage that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

AZBP2
04-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Sedans are nice and I catch myself staring... But to ME, my coupe is sportier, better lines and in a cool summer day, windows rolled down, sunroof open, you get the best of both worlds.

jorbon
04-21-2017, 02:09 PM
I've owned 2 ZHP sedans (05 and 03, and for sure both were 6-manuals :), but for me the best looking variant of almost every BMW and maybe even every car, is the convertible. My kid count makes it hard for me to justify having a convertible right now, but I will have more open top BMWs again in the future!

hcbeck2689
04-21-2017, 03:46 PM
Sedans are nice and I catch myself staring... But to ME, my coupe is sportier, better lines and in a cool summer day, windows rolled down, sunroof open, you get the best of both worlds.

Better lines... humph

I've owned 2 ZHP sedans (05 and 03, and for sure both were 6-manuals :), but for me the best looking variant of almost every BMW and maybe even every car, is the convertible. My kid count makes it hard for me to justify having a convertible right now, but I will have more open top BMWs again in the future!

I tend to disagree and rarely like convertibles over coupes. I will say that my parents have 8 kids and he has only had convertibles for the past decade+. There was never a problem with him needing more space. The family always went out in the suburban (plus another car in those early years). There might have been a time or two where we had 4 kids in the Cobra, but I didn't complain a bit.

jonnyd330
04-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Both. Hense why I have one of each

AZBP2
04-22-2017, 04:13 PM
One of each is the way to go :). They all their 'thing'. Sedans are my next conquest. Great looking cars.

jorbon
04-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Better lines... humph

I tend to disagree and rarely like convertibles over coupes. I will say that my parents have 8 kids and he has only had convertibles for the past decade+. There was never a problem with him needing more space. The family always went out in the suburban (plus another car in those early years). There might have been a time or two where we had 4 kids in the Cobra, but I didn't complain a bit.

to each their own... I'm not a fan of larger cars, and I'd never own a Suburban.

hcbeck2689
04-27-2017, 03:46 AM
to each their own... I'm not a fan of larger cars, and I'd never own a Suburban.

Obviously you've never had 8 kids...

NoVAphotog
04-27-2017, 05:00 AM

+1

That sums up what I usually reply to threads like these...I bought a sedan because I preferred a sedan. If I wanted a coupe I'd buy an M3. If we are talking about ZHP's in general. Increased maintenance and all be damned, there is a coupe M-car. It exists in this reality. There is not a sedan. ZHP sedan is closest thing.