PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel extender?

ZHPizza
04-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Anyone else wish that the steering wheel would telescope a bit further?

I'm a long legged dude and always find myself trying to move the seat up so that I'm not steering with locked elbows, but then my knees start hitting the dash/column.

I had been brainstorming a solution and it looks like some dude in Italy is two steps ahead of me:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=653227&d=1491929840
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=653228&d=1491929840
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=653225&d=1491929840
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=653226&d=1491929840

While I was searching around, I found where he had posted about it a few years ago just to show it off, but it looks like he's actively trying to sell them now.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1126257

I think I'd like to try it out, but want to hear if you guys have any better ideas first. I probably only need 1-1.5 inches of extra travel to be comfortable, but the full 2.5" would be nice for autox.

Thoughts?

slater
04-21-2017, 09:34 AM
i've been thinking about this and i might be interested. i could install, and then have some adjustment - as it is, my wheel(s) are always as far out as they can go.

ZHPizza
04-21-2017, 10:02 AM
i've been thinking about this and i might be interested. i could install, and then have some adjustment - as it is, my wheel(s) are always as far out as they can go.

I thought you were good with those ape arms?

I think I like driving SUVs for the sole fact that I can get close enough to the steering wheel.

slater
04-21-2017, 10:17 AM
I thought you were good with those ape arms?

i think you mentioning it earlier, and then it festering in my brain a bit as i drove, made me re-think it.

I think I like driving SUVs for the sole fact that I can get close enough to the steering wheel.

the upright driving position is definitely interesting in an SUV. i don't find the steering wheel as close as i would like it in the tank, but the driving position is really not that bad. the seats in the tank, on the other hand - barf. terrible for anyone taller than 5'8", especially long-torso folks like myself. i have a set of E46 'comfort' seats from anando's car (with lumbar!) that i've been wanting to put in for a while. i'm at least going to put the driver's seat in.

ZHPizza
04-21-2017, 10:23 AM
i think you mentioning it earlier, and then it festering in my brain a bit as i drove, made me re-think it.

I read somewhere that you should be able to sit with your shoulders back on the seat and lay your wrists on the top of the steering wheel.

It's been driving me crazy all week trying to do that, so I wanted to share the crazy.

slater
04-21-2017, 11:35 AM
I read somewhere that you should be able to sit with your shoulders back on the seat and lay your wrists on the top of the steering wheel.

It's been driving me crazy all week trying to do that, so I wanted to share the crazy.

here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnLKdubxRcI

ZHPizza
04-21-2017, 11:55 AM
here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnLKdubxRcI

Look at Mr. M3 seats sending me videos showing how to adjust the bolsters correctly...

Nah but that was legit educational and I was digging the fact that they used the same soundtrack as How It's Made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlb4mfQv6-s

Vas
04-21-2017, 12:20 PM
shoulders back on the seat and lay your wrists on the top of the steering wheel.

This is correct for the proper position.

sillieidiot
04-21-2017, 12:45 PM
I have the same problem too. Mines as far out as it can go. I always keep rechecking and hoping that it isn't though lol

ZHPizza
04-21-2017, 01:07 PM
This is correct for the proper position.

Yeah, I'm nowhere close to that. I look like I'm doing the gangsta lean when holding the wheel at 10:00.

I have the same problem too. Mines as far out as it can go. I always keep rechecking and hoping that it isn't though lol

Story of my life. Once a week I'm unlocking the wheel, slamming it as far out as it will go and locking it back real quick. Like I keep thinking it'll give a little more if I catch it by surprise?

holyc0w
04-21-2017, 01:09 PM
I didn't even know there was a reach adjustment.

az3579
04-21-2017, 02:03 PM
OMG, this problem is a major reason I keep checking Autotrader for 2017 330 pricing. I simply can't get comfortable in my car, and this would fix that huge problem!!!

My only concern is the smart airbag system, which senses where your seat is positioned and adjusts the airbag deployment appropriately.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ELCID86
04-21-2017, 02:12 PM
OMG, this problem is a major reason I keep checking Autotrader for 2017 330 pricing. I simply can't get comfortable in my car, and this would fix that huge problem!!!

My only concern is the smart airbag system, which senses where your seat is positioned and adjusts the airbag deployment appropriately.

Do our cars have that? (If so I guess it's @13 year old tech.

ZHPizza
04-26-2017, 07:33 AM
Given the level of interest here, I'm going to reach out to the seller about doing a bulk purchase and distributing them stateside. The biggest expense of a machined part like this is in the set up, so we should be able to push the price down quite a bit by increasing volume and combining international shipping.

slater
04-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Given the level of interest here, I'm going to reach out to the seller about doing a bulk purchase and distributing them stateside. The biggest expense of a machined part like this is in the set up, so we should be able to push the price down quite a bit by increasing volume and combining international shipping.

also... more important than anything else, is: silver or black?

if you pick silver, you're wrong.

;)

ZHPizza
04-26-2017, 07:43 AM
also... more important than anything else, is: silver or black?

if you pick silver, you're wrong.

;)
I didn't think that it was a question, but now I'm leaning towards red...

slater
04-26-2017, 07:59 AM
I didn't think that it was a question, but now I'm leaning towards red...

ha!

BMWCurves
04-26-2017, 08:56 AM
One downside I see is that it now makes the turn signal and wiper stalks far away from the steering wheel itself. Is it possible to machine a part that pushes the whole adjustment housing further forward, keeping the housing itself together?

az3579
04-26-2017, 09:59 AM
One downside I see is that it now makes the turn signal and wiper stalks far away from the steering wheel itself. Is it possible to machine a part that pushes the whole adjustment housing further forward, keeping the housing itself together?
Ah, didn't even notice that. Unfortunately this is a deal breaker for me. :(

cakM3
04-26-2017, 10:35 AM

This would be my primary concern with using this product.... this is the question I would like to have answered...

"how would this product affect proper airbag deployment should one occur?"

ZHPizza
05-01-2017, 09:29 AM

Never even thought about this until your comment. Damn.

I think I'll look into other ways of spacing the wheel out a bit. I really feel like 1" would be enough and wouldn't be an issue with reaching the stalks.

ZHPizza
05-12-2017, 07:38 AM
I forgot to let you guys know that the seller agreed to send me a sample part to test out/review. I'll keep you updated.

slater
05-12-2017, 08:04 AM
I forgot to let you guys know that the seller agreed to send me a sample part to test out/review. I'll keep you updated.

nice! (black? ;))

ZHPizza
05-12-2017, 02:40 PM
nice! (black? ;))
Yup [emoji17] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/349494b9a2a4578b27dd3c693ad8bdd0.jpg

slater
05-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Yup [emoji17] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/349494b9a2a4578b27dd3c693ad8bdd0.jpg

That was fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
05-12-2017, 03:15 PM
That was fast!

Yeah I think he shipped it on Monday. Pretty crazy.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/c0603f5f2f7ed808b74844c95841c734.jpg

The airbag wires do reach if you pull them out of the guide bracket and disconnect one of the grounds. I don't love that. Aspect, but I can improvise.

Control stalks are laughably far away. About to go on a test drive and see how it feels.

anandoc
05-12-2017, 03:19 PM
I am concerned that this would not be very safe in the event of a crash.

704sw
05-12-2017, 03:33 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/c0603f5f2f7ed808b74844c95841c734.jpgControl stalks are laughably far away. About to go on a test drive and see how it feels.
According to the stigma, it shouldn't matter because BMW drivers don't use those pesky stalks.

ZHPizza
05-12-2017, 04:02 PM
I am concerned that this would not be very safe in the event of a crash.
Meh. I wouldn't see it as being any different than someone with shorter legs sitting closer to the wheel. There's still more room between the wheel and the seat than in Spenser's car.

According to the stigma, it shouldn't matter because BMW drivers don't use those pesky stalks.
Totally wiffed on the stalk a few times during the test drive, but other than that it feels pretty damn good.

az3579
05-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Do you have to return it? If not, wondering if you'd be willing to let me try it out before I drop serious cash on this...

danewilson77
05-12-2017, 06:03 PM
I would think this guy is opening himself up to some major liability.

What if you get injured in the vehicle and your (their) insurance company finds out you've modified the steering column. The same could be said for any mod.....I get that, but the steering column and possible impact/crush zone.

I don't know man, just think hard about it and be safe.

Sent from my S8+

ZHPizza
05-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Do you have to return it? If not, wondering if you'd be willing to let me try it out before I drop serious cash on this...

Nah I just paid him $55 for shipping and he sent it on for me to try. I told him that I would test it out, share my thoughts, and send it on to the next guy to try. Give me a week or two to get used to it and it'll be heading your way.

I would think this guy is opening himself up to some major liability.

What if you get injured in the vehicle and your (their) insurance company finds out you've modified the steering column. The same could be said for any mod.....I get that, but the steering column and possible impact/crush zone.

I don't know man, just think hard about it and be safe.

Sent from my S8+
There are a lot of questions with this that I don't know that we'll ever have clear answers to. The collapsible steering column being the big one.

slater
05-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Yeah I think he shipped it on Monday. Pretty crazy.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/c0603f5f2f7ed808b74844c95841c734.jpg

The airbag wires do reach if you pull them out of the guide bracket and disconnect one of the grounds. I don't love that. Aspect, but I can improvise.

Control stalks are laughably far away. About to go on a test drive and see how it feels.

player 1: game on

would love to see a short video of yours hands on the wheel and then trying to use the stalks. :)

Totally wiffed on the stalk a few times during the test drive, but other than that it feels pretty damn good.

whiffed. LOL. reminds me of dan patrick on espn's sportscenter 25 years ago... "... the whiiiiiiff."

http://www.espn.com/media/2000/q2/dan_000723whiff.wav

Prestovie
05-15-2017, 05:44 PM
Dang, up until now I always thought that I must be crazy thinking I was uncomfortable in the drivers seat... can't say I'm glad to see other people are having the same issue but it does lead to neat inventions like this! I'm 6'2" and my god is it a PITA, always thought I was sitting the wrong way. My knees hit the dash when I move forward so when I try to rest my one hand on top of the wheel when driving my shoulders both come off of the seat(wah not 10&2 lol). Definitely curious to see if even a 1" extension would help.
If you wouldn't mind keeping me in mind for sending it out to test, might be useful to note the success of the device when used on a "taller" driver

ZHPizza
05-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Funny you mentioned needing maybe one more inch of travel. I drove the car some more tonight and found my comfortable spot with the steering wheel pushed all the way to the dash. For real.

So I measured the telescoping adjustment at just under 1.5". That means that I'm literally one inch away from stock for the perfect position, but this thing adds 2.5".

I'm going to try to get some more seat time this week and feel it out, then I'll send it on to the next tester.

az3579
05-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Funny you mentioned needing maybe one more inch of travel. I drove the car some more tonight and found my comfortable spot with the steering wheel pushed all the way to the dash. For real.

So I measured the telescoping adjustment at just under 1.5". That means that I'm literally one inch away from stock for the perfect position, but this thing adds 2.5".

I'm going to try to get some more seat time this week and feel it out, then I'll send it on to the next tester.

Interesting you say that. I always preferred a "racecar" positioning, where the wheel is as far out as possible, with my legs a bit further from the pedals (but still bent at full depression of pedals). I always found this the most comfortable for my heel (which hurts with my current seating position). Whenever I get in a new BMW, the first thing I do is pull the wheel alllll the way out, which is pretty far out.

ZHPizza
05-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Interesting you say that. I always preferred a "racecar" positioning, where the wheel is as far out as possible, with my legs a bit further from the pedals (but still bent at full depression of pedals). I always found this the most comfortable for my heel (which hurts with my current seating position). Whenever I get in a new BMW, the first thing I do is pull the wheel alllll the way out, which is pretty far out.
I sit the same way and have the steering wheel maxed out in every car I drive, it seems. I was toying with the adjustment tonight and found that, with the extra 2.5" from the extender, my elbows hit the bolsters during turns if the wheel is pulled out at all. That's what brought me back to setting it all the way in.

az3579
05-15-2017, 07:29 PM
I sit the same way and have the steering wheel maxed out in every car I drive, it seems. I was toying with the adjustment tonight and found that, with the extra 2.5" from the extender, my elbows hit the bolsters during turns if the wheel is pulled out at all. That's what brought me back to setting it all the way in.

Makes sense. It also seems to me like that extra inch of extension feels like a lot more physically than it really is.

(Giggity)

ZHPizza
05-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Makes sense. It also seems to me like that extra inch of extension feels like a lot more physically than it really is.

(Giggity)
Haha yeah it really does. I was shocked to find that the difference between fully depressed and fully extended is just under 1.5". It feels like 3" when you're slamming that thing in and out.

I'm​ just waiting to see what gif William decides to attach to my above statement.

Prestovie
05-15-2017, 07:52 PM
Wait, you can extend the steering wheel as is? Like no need for the extension? If so I feel like an idiot if this thing is fully depressed lol

BMWCurves
05-15-2017, 08:12 PM

(Giggity)

http://i.imgur.com/QjsdRIc.gif

Haha yeah it really does. I was shocked to find that the difference between fully depressed and fully extended is just under 1.5". It feels like 3" when you're slamming that thing in and out.

I'm​ just waiting to see what gif William decides to attach to my above statement.

Ya know, sometimes it feels like I'm only loved for my gifs around here.

It's hurtful.

Just once I'd like to be appreciated for my other contributions to the community.

http://i.imgur.com/SSPVYlX.gif

Who am I kidding, I'm addicted to this nonsense!

Wait, you can extend the steering wheel as is? Like no need for the extension? If so I feel like an idiot if this thing is fully depressed lol

Wait...for real? All you gotta do is

I can't find an actual picture of it but on the left-ish side of the bottom of the steering column there's a lever you can pull down and then the column can be adjusted up/down and in/out. Push the lever back up to lock the steering column into place.

Prestovie
05-16-2017, 04:06 AM
I can't find an actual picture of it but on the left-ish side of the bottom of the steering column there's a lever you can pull down and then the column can be adjusted up/down and in/out. Push the lever back up to lock the steering column into place.

lol you're a life saver, I'll try it out today, hopefully this helps

ZHPizza
05-16-2017, 04:40 AM

https://www.faithit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/bless-your-heart.gif

Prestovie
05-16-2017, 07:39 AM
https://www.faithit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/bless-your-heart.gif

[emoji23][emoji23]

slater
05-16-2017, 09:12 AM
I always found this the most comfortable for my heel (which hurts with my current seating position).

i used the have this problem. then i discovered shoes with rounded heels... oh my crap, what joy i found in those! no more sore heels!

Post Of The Day!! :rofl

:cheers

ZHPizza
05-16-2017, 09:57 AM
i used the have this problem. then i discovered shoes with rounded heels... oh my crap, what joy i found in those! no more sore heels!

like these?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5a/b5/57/5ab55716adfe0bb42a28734104ed615c.jpg

slater
05-16-2017, 10:34 AM
like these?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5a/b5/57/5ab55716adfe0bb42a28734104ed615c.jpg

ha, nice! both of my kids have wanted a pair of those for a while now. :)

az3579
05-16-2017, 11:53 AM

It's a little hard to find work shoes that are also compatible with driving. :p

*ones that I like

Oh, and try being 6'1". lol
It's uncomfortable no matter what you do...

slater
05-16-2017, 12:16 PM
It's a little hard to find work shoes that are also compatible with driving. :p

*ones that I like

Oh, and try being 6'1". lol
It's uncomfortable no matter what you do...

i am 6'1"... you're taller than that. :)

look at keen shoes. that's all i wear now. crazy comfy and they make some stuff acceptable for office life.

Prestovie
05-16-2017, 12:53 PM
Well I managed to pull the wheel out maybe another half inch, I mean it's better, still curious about the extender

ZHPizza
05-18-2017, 04:05 PM
I pulled the extender piece yesterday and am actually happier without it. Apparently my sweet spot is less than an inch further from the end of the stock travel, so this is too close, stock is too far, and I'd rather make do with stock.

I forgot to mention how impressed I am with the machining on the part. It even has the little flat section for alignment and everything slides right together. When I went to remove it, it was one of those gear engagements where you can't tell where the parts meet. Luckily I had another steering wheel in the garage to compare with so I could figure out where to tap with a hammer to break it free.

Anyway, I'm done with it and ready to send it on to the next tester for the $55 that it cost me to bring it over. It was a great learning experience. That's for sure.

ZHPizza
05-23-2017, 07:49 AM

PM'ed you last week about sending this thing on for your thoughts before the guys in Canada pass it around. Still want to try it?

az3579
05-23-2017, 10:24 AM
PM'ed you last week about sending this thing on for your thoughts before the guys in Canada pass it around. Still want to try it?

Ah yes.. sorry, forgot to get back to you.
Sending you a PM.

az3579
05-25-2017, 07:37 AM
Alright, the extender is on its way to me.
I'm going to Canada in July. I know Peter is interested in trying this thing out... Peter, do you want to wait 'till then, or do you want me to ship it out as soon as I'm done with it? The same question goes to Prestovie... do you want to wait, or would you prefer to try it before then? This will help determine who it's going to after me.

slater
05-25-2017, 07:54 AM
Alright, the extender is on its way to me.
I'm going to Canada in July. I know Peter is interested in trying this thing out... Peter, do you want to wait 'till then, or do you want me to ship it out as soon as I'm done with it? The same question goes to Prestovie... do you want to wait, or would you prefer to try it before then? This will help determine who it's going to after me.

i think i'm going to pass on trying it. the extra reach for the stalks is kind of a deal-killer for me.

Karl Lazlo
05-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Hey, BP. If it isn't too much trouble, mind if I give it some stick time?

az3579
05-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Hey, BP. If it isn't too much trouble, mind if I give it some stick time?
If you really want to play with my stick, who am I to deny you? 😂

Karl Lazlo
05-25-2017, 04:13 PM
Gross. Clean it off before you cause for delivery to the next person, please.

az3579
05-26-2017, 06:48 PM
Received the extender today in the mail. Out of sheer curiosity, I installed it.

The unit is very nicely built. It feels sturdy (well, it's metal, d'oh) and well machined. The attention to detail is impressive!

There is a cutout for the wiring that will have to pass through it, as well as the two holes cut out for the rubber alignment nubs that are on the column.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4243/34916256375_5fed137706_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VcqWyg)IMG_20170526_182644 (https://flic.kr/p/VcqWyg) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4270/34875765596_b8d845c5fe_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/V8Rq4o)IMG_20170526_182709 (https://flic.kr/p/V8Rq4o) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4272/34916255385_49a4e5c9fa_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VcqWgc)IMG_20170526_182755 (https://flic.kr/p/VcqWgc) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4223/34916254115_2c512793c5_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VcqVTi)IMG_20170526_182809 (https://flic.kr/p/VcqVTi) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

The bolt included is a larger head (22mm) than the stock bolt (16mm). It is also much longer to accommodate the extending unit.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4270/34916253465_1a6d1ab44a_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VcqVG6)IMG_20170526_182836 (https://flic.kr/p/VcqVG6) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

The splines have a flat section that is meant to be aligned with the notch on the steering column and steering wheel, as well as easy visibility of the notch when actually installing it.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4201/34916252715_3138b73378_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VcqVta)IMG_20170526_182844 (https://flic.kr/p/VcqVta) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

Steering wheel removed. Yes, I know I need to clean it... too lazy.
This is the stock setup with no extender installed.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4204/34916252625_cb7a1c3820_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VcqVrB)IMG_20170526_190329 (https://flic.kr/p/VcqVrB) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

You can vaguely see the notch/flat space alignment in this photo. It's very difficult to grab a picture of it, so this will have to do. I was originally worried that I wouldn't be able to see the notch when installing the extender, but a flashlight eased my worries and was easily able to line them up.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4202/34916251145_6b9fe0350c_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VcqV16)IMG_20170526_190110 (https://flic.kr/p/VcqV16) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

This is the section Nate was talking about, regarding the retaining plastic that holds part of the wiring harness for the airbag. You will have to undo the two torx screws that hold the upper trim in place so you can pry the trim out enough to release the harness from that plastic tab. This is necessary so that the harness can extend all the way down the extender.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4268/34916250255_b95ee24f80_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VcqUJK)IMG_20170526_190946 (https://flic.kr/p/VcqUJK) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

Please note that the extra ground wire that Nate mentioned does not extend all the way down the extending piece, so it would have to be lengthened. Since I am lazy and wasn't sure if I'd buy one of these, I decided to just leave the airbag and its harness unplugged, and go for a quick test drive, removing the extender upon return. I didn't want to find out what would happen if the harness was missing that extra ground wire, which is why I did this. The harness for the button lighting/functionality also needs to be extended, as that will not reach at all. For my test, I had non-functional buttons and lighting.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4222/34784353241_59e52c64c5_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/UZLUmi)IMG_20170526_200840 (https://flic.kr/p/UZLUmi) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

This is what it looks like installed...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4276/34916248125_3e12598d75_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VcqU72)IMG_20170526_193105 (https://flic.kr/p/VcqU72) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

You can kind of see the extra length the wires would have to travel for their connections.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4222/34105352143_f153dc9c38_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TXLQYP)IMG_20170526_200855 (https://flic.kr/p/TXLQYP) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

For reference, I made a video showing just how long of a reach it is for the wiper and turn signal stalks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhQvqWjVfz0

Impressions:
I love the seating position with this installed. It finally feels right, and doesn't feel like I'm reaching for the steering wheel. Without the extender, I would have to lean the seat back so my head isn't touching the roof, and that would cause me to have to reach for the wheel. With the extender, I can slide the seat back a little as well as recline the seat, eliminating 1) my headroom problem, 2) my leg-cramping problem, and 3) my arm reaching problem. It's AWESOME to have this extra extension, but there is the obvious problem:

The stalks. They are simply too far away. I have to roll my hand around the wheel to be able to reach them, and is not something I'd want to get "used to" as it would throw me off in other cars for sure. They are technically reachable without taking your hand off the wheel, but the hand would be in a useless position so it's just as bad as taking it off.

There is also the problem of having to create a custom extending wiring harness. This is a minor gripe understandably, but to do it right, you'd have to source the proper connectors and splice them into an extending harness so that you don't have to modify your original harness. Finding the connectors could possibly be slightly difficult.

I did find myself adjusting the steering column all the way in, since the extension adds 2.5". This means the wheel is 1" further out than the furthest extension of the factory telescoping setting, which is perfect. I would say that if the extender was only 1" deep, that would be the perfect extension for me personally. That way, I'd probably be able to avoid extending the wires, and would give me enough of an extension to still be able to do my seat adjustments without having to "reach" for the shift knob, which I have to do with the full 2.5" extension.

Recommendation: Offer two sizes; the 2.5" and the 1" extension to people of varying needs.

ZHPizza
05-26-2017, 11:03 PM
Excellent write up, BP! I agree that a 1" extension piece would be perfect, but I don't see a way that it could be made with how the parts have to mate. He could maybe reduce that design down to 2" with some minor changes.

The stalks are pretty obnoxious at first, but you get used to it quickly. I think you should drive around with it for a week and see how you adjust!

ELCID86
05-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Agree. Good write up per usual. Glad you had a 22mm on hand.

Perhaps those with big hands would have as much of a "learning curve" to reach the stalks. Seems like a good option for a track car/track day.

az3579
06-09-2017, 04:31 AM
So I've been using it for a while now and have to say, I've gotten used to the stalk situation pretty quickly. It wasn't an issue switching to another car that had the stalks up close. I've grown to really like this thing; it will be hard to give it up. I'll be trying it on track next week, then will probably end up taking it off so I can send it to the next person.

So... who is that next person?

ZHPizza
06-09-2017, 05:19 AM
So I've been using it for a while now and have to say, I've gotten used to the stalk situation pretty quickly. It wasn't an issue switching to another car that had the stalks up close. I've grown to really like this thing; it will be hard to give it up. I'll be trying it on track next week, then will probably end up taking it off so I can send it to the next person.

So... who is that next person?

Awesome! Glad to hear that you're liking it. I, too, found that it only took a few hours behind the wheel to re-learn the stalk positions.

I forgot to post it here, but the seller let me know that he has adjusted his design to something a little cleaner:

And he said that he's pretty sure he can make it 1.5" so that it'll work better for people like me that find the 2.5" extension to be too much.

az3579
06-09-2017, 05:45 AM
That is a much better design for aesthetics, for sure.
I'm going to check to see what extension I settled with (with the extender in place) when I get my car back. I'm pretty sure I kept the stock extension at full "in" position, using the extender to get that 1" I was looking for.

If he makes a 1.5" version then I'm going to be SET!

Did he mention a price difference for the 1.5" version IF he decided to make one?

slater
06-09-2017, 05:45 AM
Awesome! Glad to hear that you're liking it. I, too, found that it only took a few hours behind the wheel to re-learn the stalk positions.

I forgot to post it here, but the seller let me know that he has adjusted his design to something a little cleaner:

<SNIP>

And he said that he's pretty sure he can make it 1.5" so that it'll work better for people like me that find the 2.5" extension to be too much.

hmmm.... that does look a lot cleaner, and 1.5" would be awesome.

ZHPizza
06-09-2017, 07:28 AM
That is a much better design for aesthetics, for sure.
I'm going to check to see what extension I settled with (with the extender in place) when I get my car back. I'm pretty sure I kept the stock extension at full "in" position, using the extender to get that 1" I was looking for.

If he makes a 1.5" version then I'm going to be SET!

Did he mention a price difference for the 1.5" version IF he decided to make one?

Didn't mention price, but I had linked him to this thread so I'm sure he's keeping an eye on it.

Dual
06-11-2017, 01:05 PM
OMG, this problem is a major reason I keep checking Autotrader for 2017 330 pricing. I simply can't get comfortable in my car[...]

I want to expand this a bit. You guys who are thinking about wheel extenders: how tall are you? I'm 6'0 and don't feel I cannot push the wheel far back enough

However, since buying the car I've been dealing with a growing discomfort/pain I associate with the accelerator pedal: just can't get comfortable with the thing. Don't suppose this is related??

Thanks...

az3579
06-11-2017, 01:33 PM
I want to expand this a bit. You guys who are thinking about wheel extenders: how tall are you? I'm 6'0 and don't feel I cannot push the wheel far back enough

However, since buying the car I've been dealing with a growing discomfort/pain I associate with the accelerator pedal: just can't get comfortable with the thing. Don't suppose this is related??

Thanks...
Yes it is related. I feel like my legs have to be too close to the pedals in order to have proper seating position for ideal steering wheel control. If the wheel can get pushed out more, then I can move the seat back and still retain proper steering wheel control.

BMWCurves
06-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Are you going to get a tester for the 1.5"?