PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Battery Now Airbag Light Is On

Johnd
05-21-2017, 02:44 PM
The battery in my car kept going out so I pulled the plug and bought a new battery today. It is a Bosch Platinum Series AGM Size H7/L4/94R that I got from Pep Boys. I had no problem replacing the battery but when the car started the airbag light was on. I did a search on google and they said this could happen if the battery is disconnected too long. The positive terminal looks fine and I check the airbag wire on the bottom and it looks good too. Any ideas? There was also a strange small plug tucked up under the liner of the batter but this was there before I removed it.

ELCID86
05-21-2017, 05:36 PM
The small plug isn't a concern and was used for shipping.

I find it odd that the airbag light could be connected to the battery issue but suppose it could be.

Johnd
05-22-2017, 04:48 AM
I've searched on google and there are a lot of post about this happening with Audi, Mercedes, VM, and BMW. Has this happened to anyone else

BMWCurves
05-22-2017, 06:13 AM
Not to me. I've had my battery disconnected for a long time before with no discernible electrical issue.

Johnd
05-23-2017, 04:50 AM
Just ordered a reset tool - hopefully it will clear the code

Johnd
05-29-2017, 08:45 AM
Now I'm starting to get pissed - I took the car out for a ride today and when I tried to put the top up it wouldn't budge - again it was working fine before the battery swap - I just plugged the batter on the charger and it says it only has 25% of a charge

Dual
05-29-2017, 09:21 AM
I remember I went through all kinds of peculiar hell after changing a battery a few months ago. I don't remember more than that (seriously!) ecept aht it was resolved, but the thread is probably searchable.

ELCID86
05-29-2017, 09:26 AM
Now I'm starting to get pissed - I took the car out for a ride today and when I tried to put the top up it wouldn't budge - again it was working fine before the battery swap - I just plugged the batter on the charger and it says it only has 25% of a charge

Could it be a bad battery? I don't think I've ever heard of that though. Alternator?

Johnd
05-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Took the battery back to Pep Boys they tested and it was fine. They gave me a new one and the top still wouldn't work. After 30 minutes of driving the top finally started to work. I know in the past when the battery was low the top would either be slow to move or not move at all

fredo
05-29-2017, 12:24 PM
I remember I went through all kinds of peculiar hell after changing a battery a few months ago. I don't remember more than that (seriously!) ecept aht it was resolved, but the thread is probably searchable.

Here you go http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?19664-Battery-failed-need-help

Bludsport
05-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Yup, happened to me as well during my sound system install. I haven't tried to do anything about it yet, but I don't like it!

Johnd
05-30-2017, 10:57 AM
So after swapping out the battery again and driving for 30 minutes the top is now working again. However, the reset tool I bought doesn't work with BMW although the place I ordered it from said it would. Does any one know of a good tool to use to reset the SRS on a 2005 ZHP?