PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) 2004 Titansilber in NE Illinois

RBW
05-31-2017, 12:23 AM
Hi there. My name is Mark. I just became the owner of a 2004, Titansilber, vert, steptronic, 34.5K miles. Very nice, not perfect. I do as much of my own work as possible, so I am looking forward to the sage wisdom of the family! Better pics when the weather cooperates.

fredo
05-31-2017, 03:48 AM
Welcome, Mark. That's a good find. Dealer or private party ?

san
05-31-2017, 04:43 AM
Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
05-31-2017, 05:23 AM
Welcome, Mark!

Vas
05-31-2017, 05:29 AM
Nice low miles. Congrats

slater
05-31-2017, 05:35 AM
welcome mark!

RBW
05-31-2017, 10:27 AM
Trade in at a somewhat "local" Toyota dealer. Ad popped up late Friday night, I was there at opening Sat morning. The ad said "upgraded wheels", I ran the VIN and then hardly got any sleep. I woke up my wife to see if she wanted to come along and it must have been female premonition because she said: How the hell are you going to get two cars home.
Took it in for air bags and a PPI inspection yesterday. Should get results today.

ELCID86
05-31-2017, 03:34 PM
Welcome to the board.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

Oli77
05-31-2017, 04:27 PM
Welcome Mark, cool looking car.

danewilson77
06-01-2017, 04:10 AM
Congrats! Welcome.

Sent from my S8+

holyc0w
06-01-2017, 07:20 AM
Greetings

RBW
06-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Holy0w. Cubs fan?.....Your name would suggest so. Bad road trip last week. You in the city or the burbs?

holyc0w
06-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Holyc0w. Cubs fan?.....Your name would suggest so. Bad road trip last week.

Nope, just an ironic choice of username

You in the city or the burbs?

I'm on the NW side of the Chicago area, towards the airport.

RBW
06-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Just recieved my inspection report from Knauz BMW. I will list the issues in my priority sequence. Could someone give me a sanity check, I'm open to all input. Recommendations 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 I will perform expidisously. The rest as time permits (summer is for driving after all)

1. Lower rediator hose (replace). I will replace the expansion tank and trans thermostat while I have it drained.
2. Front lower control arm mounts (replace). (goes hand in hand with 3)
3. Four wheel alignment
4. Drive belt (replace). I will install a belt/pulley kit while it is apart.
5. Flush brake fluid (mostly because it's easy and a prudent PM)

5. Cylinder head cover gasket, starting to leak. (I will wait for the off season and do VANOS seals at the same time.)
6. Oil pan gasket starting to leak. (off season. Seems like it could take a bit of effort supporting the engine and all)
7. Belly pan damaged (I ordered a new one and will replace first time I need to remove the old one)

I ordered diff fluid and plugs and will change while it is up in the air for suspension.
I will perform trans fluid/filter change at the same time. As soon as I verify the exact transmission.

Not a bad report if you ignore the labor/parts cost at shop rates.

On the sage advice of the Family I purchased quality jack stands to ensure my safety while under the vehicle. ESCO, with pivoting block posts. It seems like a hard check to write but when you read about the consequences of under vehicle accidents.....it is sobering to say the least. If your in the market, check out Reverse Logic Limited.

danewilson77
06-01-2017, 05:42 PM
I agree with your plan.

Sent from my S8+

slater
06-01-2017, 06:01 PM
that's a good list of items to do purely based on age, not on mileage - your car has insanely low mileage, but rubber is rubber!

VANOS seals are likely OK still, since they are submersed in oil i'm sure you could buy more time before replacing them. but they're not hard to do.

i'm a bit befuddled about the oil pan gasket leaking already - that one seems odd at only 34K miles, as it's not a rubber gasket, right? perhaps it's the OFHG that's leaking, which can make it look like a leaky pan gasket to the untrained eye...

fredo
06-01-2017, 06:27 PM
How old are the tires ? I would check that too.

RBW
06-01-2017, 06:38 PM
I'm with you. These were directly off the dealer list.I will get under and look at the pan myself. I like the thought on the OFHG but I would expect a good dealer tech to figure it out but hey, I could of had a rookie. Anyway, no leaks on the floor so definately not an immediate issue. How many miles is typical before the VANOS seals start to go?
The other side of the coin is, I am about to retire, I like working in the garage, perfection is my middle name, I hate to get stranded and my wife seems to be perfectly OK with it all! And I can turn the music up and smoke cigars with hardly a complaint. (Unless I'm not clean and dressed for dinner)
Thanks

RBW
06-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Brand spankin new. Dealer had put two fronts on, so I replaced the rears with the same brand (Nexen, never heard of them but they are OK for the time being) The front rims look like the previous owner parked using the braile method. Rim refinish is another winter project.

fredo
06-01-2017, 06:49 PM
:like

BADCLOWN
06-01-2017, 07:00 PM
How close are you to Freeport?

RBW
06-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Gotta be a buck20 or so. I'm at the lakefront (Lake Michigan) and the Wi state line.