PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice

jason
04-03-2011, 06:06 AM
sorry if this isn't where i should post this, im a newbie ha but this is such a sick site....anyway im going today to look at a 05 metallic gray ZHP with 73k on her. 1 owner, garaged, never driven in the winter, all maintenance complete and up to date, the guy is looking to purchase a brand new m3. i would post pics but i found it through a friend of a dealer. so i just spoke with the owner over the phone. ill try and take pics and post but if the car is as nice as he says it is, what would you guys offer in terms of price? what should i look for when looking over the car? ive had an e36 m before so i know bmws but im new to the ZHP .....thanks for any advice guys!

Marcus-SanDiego
04-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Jason, when you physically inspect the car, make sure that there is no paint work on the exterior (meaning no one has resprayed it or touched it up). If you do see some, ask what it's about. Also, if you're not comfortable inspecting the car for mechanical details, then you will want to get a PPI done by a competent mechanic.

Given those miles, and given the year of the car, I'd expect a price that ranges from $15,000-$17,000.

Sounds like a good car. Let us know how it turns out.

kayger12
04-03-2011, 09:01 AM
If it has xenon headlights, check to see if they are ZKW or AL. If they are ZKW, the bulbs will eventually be burnt (if they're not already) and will cost you some bucks to fix. Not a reason not to buy the car, but a good negotiating point.

Common oil leaks at that mileage are from the VCG and the oil filter housing gasket. Easy DIYs, but more negotiating room if they're present.

Also inquire about the cooling system. If the expansion tank, thermostat, water pump, etc. have not been replaced, you're going to want to do those fairly soon to the tune of about $300.

Crickett
04-03-2011, 09:11 AM
+1 to the above posts. I also agree with da Boss: $15—17k is reasonable.

Along with the items already mentioned, check the front suspension; the lower control arm bushings could likely be worn at this mileage & age, potentially along with tie rods & end links. If you can't get it on a lift to wiggle the wheels at least feel for looseness on a test drive.

Also ask the owner if the rear subframe was inspected for cracking at the mount points.

jason
04-04-2011, 04:45 AM
hey guys thanks a lot for the tips! car turned out to be beautiful. all records were kept and dealer maintained. im purchasing the car for 15.5 which i think is a pretty sweet deal. not my ideal color but it'll grow on me. i will update pics soon when i get pick up the car. when i went to look at it the weather was not cooperating for any decent photos.....

thanks again!

kayger12
04-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Nice! Congrats. Looking forward to pics.

danewilson77
04-04-2011, 05:00 AM
$15.5K is a fair price. You did well. Congrats.

Marcus-SanDiego
04-04-2011, 06:18 AM
hey guys thanks a lot for the tips! car turned out to be beautiful. all records were kept and dealer maintained. im purchasing the car for 15.5 which i think is a pretty sweet deal. not my ideal color but it'll grow on me. i will update pics soon when i get pick up the car. when i went to look at it the weather was not cooperating for any decent photos.....

thanks again!

Jason, glad to hear. We'll be looking for your introduction thread in the new members section.

Oh, and that color will grow on you. You'll love how easy it is to maintain that color. Even when it's dirty, it will look clean. I had a dark silver/dark silver MINI. I loved it.

static667
04-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Sweet acquisition. The responsiveness that you experienced here is just a sample of how great this family is. Hang around here and help where you can.

Kudos
04-04-2011, 08:44 AM
There's only one question. does it have the correct number of doors?

danewilson77
04-04-2011, 09:51 AM
There's only one question. does it have the correct number of doors?

And pedals...(if you're gonna go gettin all sassy like that)

mimalmo
04-04-2011, 09:54 AM
In for pics