PDA

View Full Version : My MAF has decided that it's had enough.

Asiah119
06-01-2017, 11:35 AM
After replacing my expansion tank I started throwing codes for high voltage on my MAF and low voltage on my air temp sensor. I have both a rinse with isopropyl alcohol and replaced the vacuum lines that come off of the upper intake boot. That cleared the air temp sensor code.
Today i managed to pop the MAF out of the housing and it didn't look good. The one side is scorched; the other cracked.

I was temporarily happy when I saw a MAF for $40 from ECS then I saw that it was for pre 03. The post 03 are listed there for $300. I did find some chineesium MAF for $50.

Has anyone replaced with the inexpensive option? How much fire am I playing with here?

Cadeez
06-01-2017, 11:56 AM
You can definitely find them for cheaper than $300 (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mtc-parts/mass-air-flow-sensor-maf/13627566983~mtc/), I can't guarantee the quality though. However, I'm not an OEM parts snob personally, and I go aftermarket all the time, purely for the cost aspect, and I usually have good luck. Another idea would be craigslist or a local junkyard, you may be able to pull one off a car for pretty cheap.

Aeternalis
06-01-2017, 02:00 PM
The MAF sensor is definitely one part I would definitely go with OEM or Genuine. It is just too vital of a component (IMO) to trust a no-name brand or cheap Chinese part.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-mass-air-flow-sensor-13627566983

This is an investment. Buy it from FCP Euro. If it ever fails again for as long as you own the car, they will replace it free of charge via their Lifetime Guarantee.

tomnobes
06-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Siemens VDO is the OE brand I believe. Don't get anything but that or BMW

az3579
06-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Do not buy a MAF that isn't VDO/Siemens (I believe that's the OEM) or a Genuine BMW one.

There are plenty of online search results that will tell you why.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Asiah119
06-02-2017, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I normally would just grumble for a minute about the price of the part and then just buy it. Unfortunate timing has changed that. I'm just coming off of an upgrade to PSS10s, new rotors and pads, caliper rebuilds, front control arms, rear bushings and subframe bushings in a mix of delrin and aluminum, rear subframe reinforcement, guibo, driveshaft center support bearing, and a diff (upgrade to LSD because I'm already replacing it why not spend twice as much for an upgrade while I'm doing it), and tires. The bank account, and my wife, are not most happy right now.

Dave1027
06-03-2017, 10:28 AM
I'd get a genuine maf from an auto recycler.