PDA

View Full Version : If anyone hasn't got their Airbag recall...GET IT DONE ASAP!

Rovert
06-16-2017, 11:33 AM
http://jalopnik.com/takata-may-file-for-bankruptcy-as-soon-as-next-week-1796164382

Not sure what parts availability will be like as soon as people find out!

Call your dealership and give them your VIN to book!

I just booked myself in for next Tuesday. The SA who is my buddy said he'll stash me a part so it's not taken. LOL

kayger12
06-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Good looking out. I had to wait forever for them to get one-- mine just came in and was installed last week.

Prestovie
06-16-2017, 12:46 PM
Just notified my brother who still hasn't done his, thanks for the heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

generalvp
06-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Just got my driver side airbag replaced last week as well. It look so new that it doesnt match the rest of the steering wheel.

BMWCurves
06-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Need to get my sister to do hers, but her VIN doesn't seem to work in the open recall website?

DeathTrap
06-16-2017, 03:10 PM
I put my order in almost 3 months ago. I still have not received a call. I'm about to go to another dealership.

slater
06-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Got the last one done about a month ago. Whew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW
06-17-2017, 02:40 AM
Got both of mine completed 3 weeks ago, Dealer had parts in stock.

Johnmadd
06-17-2017, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up Trevor. Just scheduled mine to go in Tuesday at 9:00 am, unfortunately no rental car available :(

John in VA
06-19-2017, 07:49 AM
Just got the postcard for the steering wheel bag on the ZHP last week. Waiting to hear if the part is at the dealership for replacement ASAP.

Reasoned1
06-19-2017, 05:41 PM
I scheduled my 330xiA for the driver side this week (did the passenger side last summer), and my ZHP is scheduled to have both done next week. By an unimaginable stroke of luck, my recently purchased 330xi 6MT already had both done. I didn't need a post card or any authorization to get it done--the dealership just looked it up, saw it hadn't been done yet, and set up the appointment.

ZHPizza
06-22-2017, 05:54 PM
An FYI for everyone fretting about having a claymore mounted on their steering wheel. This recall bulletin gives a clear explanation of which airbags are part of the recall and which are fine.

The recall bags have a yellow label with a BAM XXX-1085 number on the bar code.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCRIT-17V047-4533.pdf

kayger12
06-23-2017, 03:18 PM
An FYI for everyone fretting about having a claymore mounted on their steering wheel. This recall bulletin gives a clear explanation of which airbags are part of the recall and which are fine.

The recall bags have a yellow label with a BAM XXX-1085 number on the bar code.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCRIT-17V047-4533.pdf

It looks like this notice is for the latest recall for Takata airbags that were used for repair/replacement-- not the larger recall that affected all of our cars' driver side airbags.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-03/defective-airbags-found-in-repaired-bmws-prompting-fresh-recall

"The affected BMWs were manufactured earlier than the ones already under recall for defective air bags, and brings the total to 1,568,247, Kiehne said."

ZHPizza
06-23-2017, 03:50 PM
It looks like this notice is for the latest recall for Takata airbags that were used for repair/replacement-- not the larger recall that affected all of our cars' driver side airbags.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-03/defective-airbags-found-in-repaired-bmws-prompting-fresh-recall

"The affected BMWs were manufactured earlier than the ones already under recall for defective air bags, and brings the total to 1,568,247, Kiehne said."
Yep. It's my understanding that they were building the cars with the white label airbags and switched to the yellow label (bad) airbags at some point in production, giving them the build window for the recall. Then they realized that cars that came in for service during that time would have gotten one of the new airbags with the yellow label, so now they're checking all older cars as they come in.

kayger12
06-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Yep. It's my understanding that they were building the cars with the white label airbags and switched to the yellow label (bad) airbags at some point in production, giving them the build window for the recall. Then they realized that cars that came in for service during that time would have gotten one of the new airbags with the yellow label, so now they're checking all older cars as they come in.

Geez, what a nightmare.

fredo
06-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Appt set for wed 6/28.

Rovert
06-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Here is what will happen during the bankruptcy for end users:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/business/takata-japan-bankruptcy.html?ref=business&referer=

ZHPizza
06-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Here is what will happen during the bankruptcy for end users:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/business/takata-japan-bankruptcy.html?ref=business&referer=

Dayummm that sucks for those automakers that are unsecured creditors.

fredo
06-28-2017, 07:27 PM
I got my driver's airbag replaced today. It took one hour. The car smells like glue, I'm sure that smell will be gone in a couple of days. I took extra precautions before taking the car to the dealer:

ZHPizza
06-28-2017, 08:06 PM
I got my driver's airbag replaced today. It took one hour. The car smells like glue, I'm sure that smell will be gone in a couple of days. I took extra precautions before taking the car to the dealer:

Lol awesome dipshit defense!

I don't know why the car would smell like glue...that's really bizarre. Swapping that airbag takes 30 seconds, one screwdriver, and definitely zero glue anywhere.

Reasoned1
06-29-2017, 05:01 PM
Got my third and last one done today.

melonz
07-02-2017, 01:27 PM
I made an appointment for the 12th and managed to secure a loaner vehicle.

My plan is to get the airbag installed on the current wheel, order a new wheel (leaning towards leather this time), and transplant the airbag to that one.

az3579
07-02-2017, 02:12 PM
I made an appointment for the 12th and managed to secure a loaner vehicle.

My plan is to get the airbag installed on the current wheel, order a new wheel (leaning towards leather this time), and transplant the airbag to that one.

Edit: ignore this post

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Don Adolfo
07-03-2017, 02:28 AM
Had mine replaced a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aeternalis
07-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Scheduled mine (driver and passenger) for this Saturday. Don't even need to leave the car with them. The service writer said "this is for an E46 so we actually have plenty in stock and won't need to wait for parts" which was refreshing. So if you're in a hurry... come on down to Dallas for a few days, lol.

River Rat
07-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Took my vert in for the replacement a week ago, and they did it in less than an hour. The airbag dash light was on, and the service mgr said that was not related to the recall. They wanted $130 bucks to scan for codes, and since I had done that with my code reader (and couldn't clear the code), I was at their mercy. Service mgr came back a few minutes later and said the code was triggered by a low voltage situation, and they couldn't reproduce it, so he was not going to charge me for the hook up and read. I left a bit happier than I thought I would!

Both bags are done. If you haven't done it, go. We don't know how the bankruptcy will affect availability of parts.

melonz
07-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Dropped mine off this morning.

Got a 430i Gran Coupe as a loaner. Neat car but can't wait until I'm in the ZHP again lol.