PDA

View Full Version : (Help Needed) Oil Leak Source?

Rookiez
07-04-2017, 08:30 AM
Hi, I got some oil leak inside my car, 2003 330i Sedan ZHP MANUAL.

Valve Cover Gasket was replaced previously. Is Valve Cover Gasket and CCV Gasket the same thing?

The leak seems to be somewhere around the steering pump (Correct me if I'm wrong). Do you guys have any idea on what could be the source or what should I search on the internet to gain more knowledge regarding this leakage?

I drained 6-ish quarts on my last drain though, shouldn't be anything major. Oh yeah, engine's idle rpm is a bit unstable, it stalls occasionally on hot days (Seattle, WA).

Thank you so much guys!!

Dave1027
07-04-2017, 08:41 AM
You need to replace the Oil Filter Housing gasket. Might as well replace the vanos oil hose while you have it apart. There are many you-tubes and DIY's on the internet to guide you. I'd rate it a 5 on a 1 to 10 difficulty scale. Hardest part for me was getting the alternator off. Just go slow and don't screw up.

There is no such thing as a ccv gasket.

Oli77
07-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Yep Google the old OFHG. Maybe you meant vcg? That's not this leak.

Rookiez
07-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!!

You need to replace the Oil Filter Housing gasket. Might as well replace the vanos oil hose while you have it apart. There are many you-tubes and DIY's on the internet to guide you. I'd rate it a 5 on a 1 to 10 difficulty scale. Hardest part for me was getting the alternator off. Just go slow and don't screw up.

There is no such thing as a ccv gasket.

Yes, my mechanic told me this afternoon and he is replacing the oil filter housing gasket as soon as the part arrives. VANOS Seal was replaced a while ago by the previous owner (10/2013 @127k Miles). The car is now at 156k miles. I just don't feel comfortable removing that many parts, especially belts on the car's engine. Suspension and those stuffs are okay with me though!

I read so many stuffs on CCV, Crank Case Ventilation. I thought that you're replacing the gasket to mitigate the issue.

Yep Google the old OFHG. Maybe you meant vcg? That's not this leak.

OFHG = Oil Filter Housing Gasket, right? That thing is gonna be replaced soon :) My mechanic also suggested to replace the steering pump reservoir as it gets older, should I replace the hose & the pressure steering lines as well? Reservoir replacement is easy though, but much more work required to replace the lines, not sure if it's worth it or even necessary.

VCG = Valve Cover Gasket? It's been replaced 3 times by the previous owner :facepalm I don't know why honestly.

1/2008 @55,458 miles
8/2008 @59,087 miles (not sure why)
6/2010 @78,281 miles

All the work were performed professionally.