PDA

View Full Version : Leather refresh options?

nsk040
07-20-2017, 01:14 PM
The leather of my car is in good shape, but I've noticed in a few places the leather is becoming very dry/smooth (for lack of better description). The center arm rest has a tiny bit of leather cracking - likely due to my arm resting there a lot. Are there any options out there to help refresh/preserve leather? I'm a total novice when it comes to detailing.

Thanks

ZHPizza
07-20-2017, 01:55 PM
The leather on the arm rest can be replaced pretty cheap

az3579
07-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Leather is like skin; it needs to stay hydrated to reduce the chances of cracking. If the leather is hard and dry, then it's probably too late to revive it.

There are numerous leather care products designed to keep the leather hydrated and conditioned. I'll let others chime in with their suggestions.

BMWCurves
07-20-2017, 04:50 PM
I need to treat the leather in my car at some point. I'm planning to use Leatherique, but am always open to other products.

johnrando
07-20-2017, 07:02 PM
I was told that leatherique was great for the type of leather in older BMWs but not so much for ours... but everyone swears by it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bludsport
07-20-2017, 07:17 PM
I tried a bottle of the "Leatherique" restoration liquid and didn't care for it very much. However, their leather cleaning solution is the best I've ever used. Their cleaning solution seems to open the pores of the leather which allows a conditioner to seep deeper into the hide. The Leatherique conditioning liquid is very greasy and doesn't smell that great. Their instructions tell you to rub it in with your hands, which I did, but after a while it started to burn my hands. I finally ended up using 100% neatsfoot oil I found at my local hardware store and followed it up with Griot's Garage 3 in 1 leather cleaner and conditioner. The Griot's stuff smells great and does a great job as well. Still, even after all my efforts, the front seats eventually became slick and hard after a few weeks, so I'm thinking of getting a heat gun to heat the leather before treating it next time.

Newjack
04-11-2018, 04:36 PM
I need to clean my leather badly. Can someone link me something to buy?

I don't have time to do the full leatherique coating, sit in the sun for a few days and then clean again. I'm more looking for something to wipe away dirt/debris, then condition I guess. The simpler route.

Suggestions?

Vas
04-11-2018, 05:02 PM
I need to clean my leather badly. Can someone link me something to buy?

I don't have time to do the full leatherique coating, sit in the sun for a few days and then clean again. I'm more looking for something to wipe away dirt/debris, then condition I guess. The simpler route.

Suggestions?Either sonax leather cleaner or Adams polishes. Leather cleaner and conditioner. Both are great and easy to use

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Newjack
04-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Either sonax leather cleaner or Adams polishes. Leather cleaner and conditioner. Both are great and easy to use

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TapatalkI like sonax so I'll use them. Apply cleaner first then conditioner right?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Vas
04-11-2018, 05:07 PM
I like sonax so I'll use them. Apply cleaner first then conditioner right?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TapatalkThe one I liked and use was this one: https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-leather-foam.html

It is both a cleaner and conditioner. Spray it on, let it soak and meanwhile use a small interior brush to scrub and then wipe off.

I picked it up on Amazon

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180412/364f71456a3feb5222459a5b635a5cb6.jpg

Newjack
04-11-2018, 05:10 PM
The one I liked and use was this one: https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-leather-foam.html

It is both a cleaner and conditioner. Spray it on, let it soak and meanwhile use a small interior brush to scrub and then wipe off.

I picked it up on Amazon

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TapatalkNice, that's exactly what I was looking for. Can you use a microfiber towel or a brush is best?

Vas
04-11-2018, 05:13 PM
Nice, that's exactly what I was looking for. Can you use a microfiber towel or a brush is best?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TapatalkI suggest a brush. It will help agitate the dirt and lift it up. Then wipe with a microfiber towel.

Newjack
04-11-2018, 05:17 PM
I suggest a brush. It will help agitate the dirt and lift it up. Then wipe with a microfiber towel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk:thumbsup

SaltyNC
04-11-2018, 07:04 PM
I've been using Zaino's Leather in a Bottle for a few years, and I like it. They sell a cleaner and a conditioner. I apply the conditioner with my bare hand. It's basically like lotion. It is THE best smelling product I've ever used for leather. It makes the leather smell like a brand new leather jacket.

Newjack
04-11-2018, 07:21 PM
I've been using Zaino's Leather in a Bottle for a few years, and I like it. They sell a cleaner and a conditioner. I apply the conditioner with my bare hand. It's basically like lotion. It is THE best smelling product I've ever used for leather. It makes the leather smell like a brand new leather jacket.

Now I don't know what to use....

joeybananaz18
04-12-2018, 05:32 AM
Id go with something that is more of a cream than a spray. you might need to leave it on a bit longer, but not what you'd need to with leatherique.

nsk040
04-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Any thoughts on restoring / preventing further degradation for a little bit of cracking on the bolster?

az3579
04-12-2018, 07:27 AM
Any thoughts on restoring / preventing further degradation for a little bit of cracking on the bolster?

It's going to happen over time anyway, but the best thing you can do is to make sure the leather stays nice and hydrated. If it's cardboard hard, there's no saving that, but if it's still nice and soft to the touch, then you can continue to hydrate it to keep it as nice as possible.

If you're not sure what the leather is supposed to feel like, go to the back seat (if you have a sedan) and fold down the center armrest and get a feel for that leather. That is usually as nice as it gets.

Reasoned1
04-12-2018, 03:05 PM
This might sound kind of out there, but I'm trying black boot polish (Kiwi). It's what I know, and it definitely works, but you might want to avoid sitting in them with white pants.

John in VA
04-12-2018, 03:59 PM
Kiwi Heel & Edge or Honor Guard Edge Dressing are more durable and less likely to rub off on your clothes.

SaltyNC
04-12-2018, 05:32 PM
SEM Classic Coat in 17093 Black works great for touching up worn leather in the E46. It's a flexible coating designed for leather and vinyl and popular with body shops and used car dealers. :) It's an aerosol spray can, but can also be sprayed onto a rag and dabbed onto the seats. It worked great on the bolsters and a scratch on one seat. Looks just like the original finish. Ideally, you'd want to scuff the area with a grey Scotchbrite pad and clean the area with naptha or 91% isopropyl before applying. SEM sells a leather prep, but I think it is just naptha.

JohnnyGraphic
04-12-2018, 05:55 PM
I'll tell you what NOT to use. I bought Weiman leather wipes. Supposedly, just use the disposable wipes (kind of like those Lysol/Clorox antibacterial wipes) on leather and it's fine. I did a quick clean of my black leather seats in my ZHP. They have been pretty neglected, but still clean. Mostly, just haven't been cleaned/conditioned in a while. The Weiman wipes smell good, but I don't believe it helped clean or condition it in any significant way.