PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone believe in "Tuesday" cars?

dpark
07-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Was just thinking about this as I had my latest oil change being done at my new indy service guy (who did the cooling system refresh earlier this year).

We were chatting about my car and just talking about how trouble-free it had been for the last couple of years. When I mentioned that I still had the original 4 side window motors and he was amazed.

His remark was that must have a "Tuesday" car. I didn't know what he meant and asked him to explain. He said it was a joke, and that the jist of it was that you didn't want a car built on Friday or Monday because the factory guys were either thinking about the weekend or getting over a hangover from a wild weekend. So you always wanted a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday car.

Pretty sure that these cars aren't completed in a single day, but it got me thinking. Is there such a thing as a "Tuesday" car? Are some ZHPs, for some reason, more trouble-free than others?

Aeternalis
07-27-2017, 09:30 AM
Are some ZHPs, for some reason, more trouble-free than others?
All the known things are always a matter of "when" and not "if" with our cars. If allowed to snowball the repair bills can grow exponentially.

Of course, now that you've talked about your regulators it means one will start crunching soon. :P

NoVAphotog
07-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Usage also applies. Someone could buy a ZHP and only ever drive it with the windows closed. Does that mean the regulators were built by Tuesday workers or just that they have never been used so therefore are "problem free."

BMWM3186
07-27-2017, 07:52 PM
My car was built on a Tuesday... I think. However i think most of the failures on these cars aren't from assembly errors, but rather actual part failures which probably have all sorts of different dates stamped on them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk

derbo
07-27-2017, 08:04 PM
Was just thinking about this as I had my latest oil change being done at my new indy service guy (who did the cooling system refresh earlier this year).

We were chatting about my car and just talking about how trouble-free it had been for the last couple of years. When I mentioned that I still had the original 4 side window motors and he was amazed.

His remark was that must have a "Tuesday" car. I didn't know what he meant and asked him to explain. He said it was a joke, and that the jist of it was that you didn't want a car built on Friday or Monday because the factory guys were either thinking about the weekend or getting over a hangover from a wild weekend. So you always wanted a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday car.

Pretty sure that these cars aren't completed in a single day, but it got me thinking. Is there such a thing as a "Tuesday" car? Are some ZHPs, for some reason, more trouble-free than others?

WHat if the factory was open saturday and the worker had a tues-sat job? :)

dpark
07-28-2017, 08:03 AM
Usage also applies. Someone could buy a ZHP and only ever drive it with the windows closed. Does that mean the regulators were built by Tuesday workers or just that they have never been used so therefore are "problem free."

Fair point, but I guess I was referring to something that had experienced "normal" usage over the life of the car. Another side example on my cooling system. Before I joined this site, I didn't know that the cooling system was a ticking time bomb. So I got to 120K miles before I had mine done. According to most of the internet threads this should have been done by 90k miles or earlier.

Not saying that my car has been perfect or trouble-free. My CABs failed pretty early and have actually been replaced twice, in addition to my alternator and fuel pump and had a catastrophic failure of my moon roof. I just found

All the known things are always a matter of "when" and not "if" with our cars. If allowed to snowball the repair bills can grow exponentially.

Of course, now that you've talked about your regulators it means one will start crunching soon. :P

The fact that everything will eventually fail is like the old adage "nothing is certain but death and taxes". Of course everything eventually fails, but for some things to last so much longer than "expected" is an interesting subject to me due to my profession (software company looking for outliers in manufacturing operations).

Was not expecting any sort of definitive answer regarding the window lifts, but it made me think about my Indy's comment. Did I get an exceptionally well-built set of window motors? Or were they installed so perfectly (along with the windows and guides) that there was minimal "load" or "friction" when opening or closing the windows that everything is just lasting longer than "normal"? The latter being the foundation of the "Tuesday" car concept, that if a little more care and attention is applied to manufacturing that it pays dividends in the long run, such as window lifts still working after 13 years.

stephenkirsh
08-16-2017, 03:42 PM
The whole argument is based on a bygone era of union based labor making sub par cars in the Detroit area.