PDA

View Full Version : Premature Tierod failure?

BustedBoat
08-25-2017, 01:20 PM
I purchased and installed new Lemforder tierods sometimes in late 2015 early 2016, so they can't have more than 40k miles. Most likely way less, but looking at the videos and my experience they feel crazy loose. Any thoughts on where I can look to make sure it isn't anything else? I replaced the springs, struts, etc. in 2016 I believe, Smiles aka Brakeyourself gave me an awesome deal on BC Coils. Control arms and bushings were replaced two weeks ago. Below are some videos, hopefully they help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1klETSNS6wQ&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aXAnF7hhFQ&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMlb01Z-dv8&feature=youtu.be

az3579
08-25-2017, 01:26 PM
Are you should it's not loose ball joints?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BustedBoat
08-25-2017, 04:18 PM
They should be new. Is that still a possibility?

az3579
08-25-2017, 04:23 PM
They should be new. Is that still a possibility?

Need to start somewhere...
Try prying at stuff with a big pry bar. Rule out things as you go. Listen very closely to where the sound is actually coming from.
Stupid question but it must be asked; are you sure everything was tightened properly? Take the wheel off, then wiggle... does it make sound? Work your way in, wiggling stuff to see if at any point it stops.

bimmerteknik
08-25-2017, 04:25 PM
From the last video it appears the play is in the rack, you replaced the entire tie rod or just the outer (tie rod ends) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

san
08-25-2017, 04:51 PM
To check tie rods, remove the wheel and try to turn/twist the tie rod. If it moves then they are bad.

Oli77
08-26-2017, 05:17 AM
Feels like it's the steering wheel moving is all.

nsk040
08-26-2017, 03:46 PM
I have recently done everything in the front-end except tie rods and sway bar bushings. My car has 110k miles. The popping noise in your video is something I can hear on rare occasions. Tie rods sound like a good bet, though it's odd they seem to be failing so quickly. As mentioned above, did you do inner and outer tie rods?

You did the control arms and bushings two weeks ago - have you gotten an alignment yet? If no, that could explain feeling a bit off.

Dave1027
08-27-2017, 08:53 AM
Feels like it's the steering wheel moving is all.

It could be. OP needs to have someone sit in the drivers seat and hold the steering wheel still while he does the wheel test.

Oli77
08-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Yes, or leave other wheel on the ground.

BustedBoat
08-27-2017, 12:50 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses, I did try to wiggle it with the wheel on the other side still on the ground. Wheel play remained the same with a bit of play on the far side wheel as well.

San, by turn and twist do you mean try to "screw" it clockwise/counterclockwise?

san
08-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses, I did try to wiggle it with the wheel on the other side still on the ground. Wheel play remained the same with a bit of play on the far side wheel as well.

San, by turn and twist do you mean try to "screw" it clockwise/counterclockwise?

Yup.
When my tie rods went bad I was able to turn/twist then quite easily. When I installed nene ones and checked there was no ply at all...

nsk040
09-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Any update to this?