PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a first car. Manual. $5k (Chicago)

danilo
09-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Title says it all. There's no other first car I'd want aside from a clean E46 but I want to test my waters here first. Preferably a manual and in blue or black. Please respond if you have anything in my price range with reasonable miles. Thank you so much and hopefully a fellow enthusiast can help me get the right car.

az3579
09-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Hmm. An E46 worth buying is going to be more than 5k... Something to keep in mind. For that budget, expect to buy an E46 330 with over or close to 200k, or a lower mileage 325i. If you want a ZHP, you'll be paying a couple of grand more than an equivalent 330i.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wisco
09-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Honestly for that kind of budget. I'd look at a used Honda Accord.... probably early 2000s. It's going to be boring, but for your first car it will be affordable and reliable and not going to be an arm and a leg to repair.

Save the BMW dreams for when your budget is larger.

Oli77
09-10-2017, 04:47 PM
I agree with BP that a 325 would be the way to go.

az3579
09-10-2017, 04:52 PM
I agree with BP that a 325 would be the way to go.
Well I honestly don't recommend a BMW as a first car. I'm with Wisco on this one... A Honda is unbeatable as a first car. Cheap to maintain, and not much to maintain overall because it's dead reliable.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

04yfz
09-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Buy the nicest, lowest mileage, cleanest 2002-2009 Toyota camry 4 cylinder that you can afford. Dead reliable, super efficient, perfect daily driver for when you get an E46 as a weekend car in the future. ;) Seriously, these are hands down some of the most reliable and cheap to maintain cars and very comfortable and roomy. Also easy to work and learn on when maintenance needs arise.

ELCID86
09-10-2017, 05:20 PM
I'd consider selling mine for that. But be warned it has warts (and road / curb rash) and 213k mi... and is in VA.

Honda Accord would be a good choice unless you like wrenching and have the budget to support owning an e46.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

danilo
09-10-2017, 05:23 PM
I'd consider selling mine for that. But be warned it has warts (and road / curb rash) and 213k mi... and is in VA.

Honda Accord would be a good choice unless you like wrenching and have the budget to support owning an e46.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

Yeah I'd love to work around my own car because I know the labor is pricey for these cars and it makes me feel good learning on my own! Also, honestly 325ci is no problem I just want an E46 in general haha

ELCID86
09-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Yeah I'd love to work around my own car because I know the labor is pricey for these cars and it makes me feel good learning on my own! Also, honestly 325ci is no problem I just want an E46 in general haha

Good Deal and these cars are pretty easy to work on. Lots of e46s out there. Go 330i !

danilo
09-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Buy the nicest, lowest mileage, cleanest 2002-2009 Toyota camry 4 cylinder that you can afford. Dead reliable, super efficient, perfect daily driver for when you get an E46 as a weekend car in the future. ;) Seriously, these are hands down some of the most reliable and cheap to maintain cars and very comfortable and roomy. Also easy to work and learn on when maintenance needs arise.

Oh my please do not mention Japanese imports to me haha I hate them so much. My family had a camry it was a '96 and I am well aware of their reliability as ours went up to 300k miles before we got rid of it. I just hate them so much they're hidious and the driving experience on them sucks. As for the generation you mentioned, my father loves those and I personally hate them ahaha same reason, and also to point out those have an inline four I believe was the '96 generation has a V6 if you got that specific version.

danilo
09-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Hate Honda's so much man.

Wisco
09-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Understood but a $5k e46 is going to need that much in PM to get on the road so now it's a $10k car. You could buy a one-owner Hyundai coming of lease for that and never have a problem. Cheap performance car is an oxymoron my friend and BMW isn't the exception to the rule.

You can do whatever you want, but you asked a question and are getting a reasonable answer.

Hate Honda's so much man.

webster
09-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Agreed with Wisco any E46 at that price point will double the purchase price in maintenance costs within the first year.

Unless your parents are willing to throw money at a car that you will constantly need to throw parts at I highly discourage this line of thinking but then again if that were the case you probably would have a higher budget to begin with.

az3579
09-11-2017, 03:38 AM
Well if you're dead set on an E46 (I totally understand), then a 325i is probably best within your price range. Decent ones can be had for 5k, whereas the 330's are more expensive. 325i's are powerful "enough" (184hp) to not get into too much trouble but have enough pep to get up to speed on an onramp for a highway. Parts pricing for them are similar to 330's, but they do suffer the same common problems as 330's, and there are a lot of them. Reliability-wise, the 325 is about the same as the 330.

As long as you're willing to wrench on the car yourself, you could save a boatload of cash. Parts aren't usually crazy expensive, and sometimes you'll have to buy used to keep the price affordable, but just be prepared to constantly be putting money into the car. It's not uncommon for people to spend over 1-2 grand a year maintaining their E46's, and that's usually at a minimum.

I suggest you hit up Autotrader and get a feel for what's within your budget. You'll find plenty of E46's in that price range, just make sure they're not beat up or neglected. Ask the owners for the maintenance history, and if you're not sure whether a car was maintained well enough based on the history, post up the history here and you'll get plenty of opinions on that matter. If the owner can't provide a history, pass on the car, unless you don't mind taking the risk.

I highly recommend you get a Pre-Purchase Inspection on whatever car you are interested in buying. Have the owner, or yourself if you're test driving the car, go to a reputable shop and have them do a PPI on the car. They will tell you everything that's wrong with the car and how much it would be to fix those items. This is a VERY valuable service and will give you an idea of what you're dealing with. They usually charge an hour or two of shop labor, but what's $100-150 in the long run when you're buying a $5000+ car? :)

Good luck!

BMWM3186
09-13-2017, 11:10 AM
When I was looking for cars, I was at the point where I would have bought a nice 325 with the sport package if one popped up. Sure enough one did for $4k with about 100k miles. I was gonna go look at it the next day, but the car sold in less than 18 hours. And then I found the Zhp. Obiously you need to be aware of what shops charge to fix these cars if you don't want to fix them yourself. I'll occasionally help my friend fix these cars for someone else and make some good money (compared to other jobs available at my age) even though he would charge them less than half of what a shop would charge.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk

Oli77
09-13-2017, 04:38 PM
Reality sets in as I realize that my 2005 325i with sport package and a refreshed suspension is probably only worth 4K at 114K miles.
I cut a deal with my wife that i can keep the car as long as it costs less than 1K/year to maintain.

danilo
09-14-2017, 05:52 AM
Reality sets in as I realize that my 2005 325i with sport package and a refreshed suspension is probably only worth 4K at 114K miles.
I cut a deal with my wife that i can keep the car as long as it costs less than 1K/year to maintain.

See that's exactly what I mean man! A car from $5-7k isn't a problem because I'll be getting very soon so I can afford to buy parts needed for when/if things go wrong.

ELCID86
09-15-2017, 09:58 AM

:like