PDA

View Full Version : ZHP not starting...needs diagnosis

justinwilson77
10-17-2017, 04:32 AM
So a about two and a half months ago my car started to lose power when I would be sitting at a stoplight and go to accelerate. It would act as if it were going to stall(revs would drop, car barely moves, etc.) but...the car is an auto. That started happening more frequently as the month progressed. Then my "check gas cap" light came on for about 45 minutes one morning. Following that, I was driving about 70mph on the freeway the cluster beeped, all the indicator lights flashed, all the gauges dropped to zero then went back. The car continued to "stall" probably 1 in every 15 stops for about two more weeks. Then finally one morning she wouldn't start at all.

The car will sound as if it could start but it wont. All of the lights and other electrical systems work (locks, radio, interior lights, etc.) which makes me not think its the battery. Also tried to jump the car which did not work either. Showing three codes: P0442 Evaporative Emission System Leak (small leak), P0171 (Bank 1 System Too Lean), P0174 (Bank 2 System Too Lean).

Anyone have any insight on this kind of issue?

3ZHPGUY
10-17-2017, 04:41 AM
Everything is acting (lean) that means to much air for the fuel to fire. Could be an intake boot or some other vacuum leak.

You may want to try misting it with starter fluid, while trying to start it! It may be on top or it may be lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

san
10-17-2017, 04:51 AM
Things I would look at -
Intake boots
Clean ICV if not done recently
Check ICV grommet
Fuel system vent tube (I think) near the fuel tank that were bad on Shawn's (elcid86) car
If everything checks out then I'd replace the battery if it's older than 5 years. I've heard bad batteries do weird things on our cars...

az3579
10-17-2017, 05:14 AM
Smells like a fuel pump to me...

justinwilson77
10-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Things I would look at -
Intake boots
Clean ICV if not done recently
Check ICV grommet
Fuel system vent tube (I think) near the fuel tank that were bad on Shawn's (elcid86) car
If everything checks out then I'd replace the battery if it's older than 5 years. I've heard bad batteries do weird things on our cars...

Battery was last replaced in 2014. Could a crankcase vent tube result in these kinds of codes as well? I noticed mine was cracking when I was under the hood last night.

slater
10-17-2017, 06:00 AM
Smells like a fuel pump to me...

that would be my guess too, but..... what does it do on start? does it try to turn over, or just click-click-click-click....?

slater
10-17-2017, 06:20 AM
Battery was last replaced in 2014. Could a crankcase vent tube result in these kinds of codes as well? I noticed mine was cracking when I was under the hood last night.

it wouldn't cause a no-start condition.

justinwilson77
10-17-2017, 06:30 AM
that would be my guess too, but..... what does it do on start? does it try to turn over, or just click-click-click-click....?

It tries to turn over, literally sounds like it could start but it doesn't. Not a typical dead battery "click-click-click" sound

slater
10-17-2017, 06:40 AM
It tries to turn over, literally sounds like it could start but it doesn't. Not a typical dead battery "click-click-click" sound

gotcha. when you turn the key to the 'ON'/accessory position, do you hear the fuel pump start?

justinwilson77
10-17-2017, 06:45 AM
gotcha. when you turn the key to the 'ON'/accessory position, do you hear the fuel pump start?

What would this sound like?

justinwilson77
10-17-2017, 06:54 AM

Ah the hissing sound, I believe it does make this noise but I will confirm this afternoon when I get home from work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSdfFt-gbFM

az3579
10-17-2017, 07:05 AM
There could still be a lack of pressure, even if it makes the hissing sound. How old is it? When was it last replaced?

justinwilson77
10-17-2017, 07:10 AM
There could still be a lack of pressure, even if it makes the hissing sound. How old is it? When was it last replaced?

Fuel pump has never been replaced to my knowledge.

az3579
10-17-2017, 07:30 AM
Fuel pump has never been replaced to my knowledge.

I would have it pressure tested.

slater
10-17-2017, 07:39 AM
I would have it pressure tested.

or just replace. good PM at 13 years old.

az3579
10-17-2017, 07:59 AM
or just replace. good PM at 13 years old.

That too.

justinwilson77
10-17-2017, 10:01 AM
So the consensus is replace the fuel pump... I would assume this is something you [Ucan't[/U] save money on by going the non-OEM route?

slater
10-17-2017, 10:03 AM
So the consensus is replace the fuel pump... I would assume this is something you [Ucan't[/U] save money on by going the non-OEM route?

you can, i bought a VDO/seimens pump (same as OEM if i remember correctly) for much less than OEM BMW.

justinwilson77
10-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Okay, do you recommend I replace the pump relays as well?

az3579
10-17-2017, 11:12 AM

You can buy a Siemens/VDO one, which is an OEM unit. Way cheaper compared to the OE unit.
Buy from FCP and never have to buy it again. :p

Okay, do you recommend I replace the pump relays as well?

You don't have to...
I did mine when I was chasing a no-start issue. I did the fuel pump relay, the ignition switch, and some other relay, all at the same time. They were cheap so I didn't see why not. One of those fixed it. I knew it wasn't my pump though because it was relatively fresh at the time, having been replaced not long before this issue surfaced.

Considering your other symptoms, it's possible you may have another issue as well in addition to the no-start.

danewilson77
10-17-2017, 07:50 PM
you can, i bought a VDO/seimens pump (same as OEM if i remember correctly) for much less than OEM BMW.I have the very same pump.

Sent from my S8+

san
10-18-2017, 04:27 AM
:facepalm

Stupid me completely missed the no start part, which is also in the title

Anyway I got vdo fuel pump from fcpeuro as well. Replaced mine at 140k miles as PM. Was working fine.

Sockethead
10-18-2017, 07:46 AM
You can hook a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader vale on the fuel rail and see if your getting pressure. When my fuel pump failed, it was a very gradual loss of power.

ZHPizza
10-18-2017, 08:16 AM
You can hook a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader vale on the fuel rail and see if your getting pressure. When my fuel pump failed, it was a very gradual loss of power.I did this with a screw-on tire pump and it worked great. Just had to let it dry out for a week or so before firing up again.

https://i.imgur.com/cNrpn8o.jpg

Sockethead
10-18-2017, 08:27 AM
ok that's kinds scary... :eyetwitch

I forgot to add you should be seeing about 50 psi...

johnrando
10-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Let us know how that works out. Battery could be a bit old too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

04TitanSilber
10-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Fuel pump. Amazon has a Bosch unit for around $140.