PDA

View Full Version : Avin Avant 3 Cyber Monday 2017

ETAction
11-27-2017, 02:11 PM
Seems like a good deal with $100 off the retail price.

Until I realize that I need the extension cable enabling power, required if you have the factory nav option($60) AND the USB adapter to enable CarPlay or Andoid Auto ($99)

Those added items put me at a cool $760... sheesh.

The Avant 3 seems like a winner, matching the OEM system aesthetics to a very pleasing 98% while offering much more control over sound and many other functions.

I'll wait until about 11 pm to decide on whether or not to pull the trigger on this deal.

https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-3-series-e46-m3-android-multimedia-navigation-system.html

BMWCurves
11-27-2017, 03:11 PM
I had been interested in the Avant 3, but they're about 2 years overdue their promised date, their customer service hasn't been the best for some members here, and their website doesn't even provide much in the way of specs. Still, might be worth it for some.

ELCID86
11-27-2017, 03:55 PM
I do wish they’d pick up their game a bit.

az3579
11-27-2017, 03:57 PM
I had been interested in the Avant 3, but they're about 2 years overdue their promised date, their customer service hasn't been the best for some members here, and their website doesn't even provide much in the way of specs. Still, might be worth it for some.This. And my unit has the same specs at half the price. I got tired of waiting. lol

Which reminds me, I should ask for my deposit back...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

704sw
11-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Oof, still $600? I’m pretty impressed with the Android units @ZHPizza has in both of his cars. They were less than half that price with backup camera included.

Johnmadd
11-27-2017, 04:44 PM
You met BP, right?

BP, love bro!

ETAction
11-27-2017, 05:43 PM
So not worth the premium price then..??

I have a lovely sound system installed, courteous of the previous owner and although I LOVE the look and function of the OEM head unit, I do believe it is not being taken properly advantage of (the sound system) It's been my daily driver as of late and will be for some time coming so an aftermarket unit may be the most practical answer.

BMWCurves
11-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Push BP into a review of his head unit.

Not that "head unit"

ZHPizza
11-28-2017, 07:17 AM
Oof, still $600? I’m pretty impressed with the Android units @ZHPizza has in both of his cars. They were less than half that price with backup camera included.

The backup camera was useless and it certainly has its issues, but yeah I'm reasonably content. It might be worth the price of the Avin to have it (a) work right and (b) supported by a company. Support is probably the most important aspect to these as they're glitchy af.

az3579
11-28-2017, 09:06 AM
You met BP, right?

BP, love bro!

I am thoroughly confused by your post John. LOL :rofl

Push BP into a review of his head unit.

Not that "head unit"

Fine, fine, fine... I know it's overdue! If you send a cure for laziness, that might help. lol
This is becoming more of a hot button topic, so I will carve out some time tonight to start writing it up. Hold me to it. :p

The backup camera was useless and it certainly has its issues, but yeah I'm reasonably content. It might be worth the price of the Avin to have it (a) work right and (b) supported by a company. Support is probably the most important aspect to these as they're glitchy af.

The only reason to buy this is for Apple CarPlay, from what I can see. Even then, it doesn't seem like it's worth double for that one feature.

derbo
11-28-2017, 01:42 PM

Fine, fine, fine... I know it's overdue! If you send a cure for laziness, that might help. lol
This is becoming more of a hot button topic, so I will carve out some time tonight to start writing it up. Hold me to it. :p

The only reason to buy this is for Apple CarPlay, from what I can see. Even then, it doesn't seem like it's worth double for that one feature.

From what I gathered, its just android usb unit that has an APK on the android unit to mimic a Carplay receiver.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units/apple-carplay-usb-dongle-android-t3647996

joeybananaz18
11-28-2017, 04:36 PM

Im actually interested in the review as well. BP, you PM'd me about yours and ive been reading up on it. I think it might be the way to go. I was so hung up on having car play but I'm start to get over it.

EDIT: Can your unit accept a lightning cable to read an iphone? I'm curious if I could pair the two together.

az3579
11-28-2017, 06:04 PM
Im actually interested in the review as well. BP, you PM'd me about yours and ive been reading up on it. I think it might be the way to go. I was so hung up on having car play but I'm start to get over it.

EDIT: Can your unit accept a lightning cable to read an iphone? I'm curious if I could pair the two together.I took screenshots tonight in preparation for my review. Unfortunately my evening got totally jacked by a family member, so screenshots is all I have at the moment. I'll start typing it up tonight and finish tomorrow.

As far as lightning goes, there are three USB connections for the unit, so I'm sure you can plug in an iPhone with it's cable. I don't have an iPhone but I'll borrow a friend's phone tomorrow morning and test it out. You can also pair through Bluetooth, if that makes any difference to you. I'm also going to test a USB aux connection as well.

joeybananaz18
11-28-2017, 06:28 PM
I took screenshots tonight in preparation for my review. Unfortunately my evening got totally jacked by a family member, so screenshots is all I have at the moment. I'll start typing it up tonight and finish tomorrow.

As far as lightning goes, there are three USB connections for the unit, so I'm sure you can plug in an iPhone with it's cable. I don't have an iPhone but I'll borrow a friend's phone tomorrow morning and test it out. You can also pair through Bluetooth, if that makes any difference to you. I'm also going to test a USB aux connection as well.

That would be awesome. No rush. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
11-29-2017, 06:35 PM
I took screenshots tonight in preparation for my review. Unfortunately my evening got totally jacked by a family member, so screenshots is all I have at the moment. I'll start typing it up tonight and finish tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/TsaGsmp.gif

az3579
11-29-2017, 08:31 PM
https://i.imgur.com/TsaGsmp.gif

I spent a painstaking amount of time writing up this review the past two or three days. Finally done. :)

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?20927-Review-Xtrons-PB7646BAP-Android-6-0-Head-Unit-Pic-Heavy&p=548113#post548113

ETAction
11-30-2017, 09:13 PM
Everyone's input has been appreciated.
Thanks guys.

On to my next consideration, Google Pixel 2

BMWCurves
12-02-2017, 12:26 PM
For anyone else wondering what the "specs and features" of the Avin Avant 3 are, here is what their customer support told me via email:

The Avant-3 will look 98% like the OEM factory navigation system
Harmon Kardon supported
DSP is supported
Onboard computer supported
Android OS version 6.0
8core CPU
2GB RAM memory
32GB Internal Storage.
Bluetooth 4.0
Option for Apple CarPlay / Android Auto
Support for Valentine V1 Radar Detector
All new radio tuner with the best reception
DAB+ support for Europe
More powerful amplifier with nice clean sound
4V RCA Preamp Output
Long range WIFI support for both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ bands
4G LTE built-in
Your head unit will be able to have its own phone number, make and receive calls without ever being connected to your mobile phone.
Support Tire Pressure Monitor System.
Digital TV ATSC and DVBT
Bluetooth OBD2 for Torque performance and diagnostic

az3579
01-08-2018, 03:59 PM
So... a very interesting sequence of events occurred last night.

I asked Avin for my deposit back, and they had refunded me within 10 minutes or so of requesting it. Then for some reason I went back to their site to look at the unit (I think I wanted to check something) and the chat with Tommy came up.

Not long after, I had bought one with a big discount. I offered to write a review on the unit and he included some items for me to review as well.
After all is said and done (including the discount, the accumulation of payment for a couple of side jobs, the probable sale of my Xtrons unit, and a nice refund check from my mortgage company), I will have an Avant 3 for practically nothing out of pocket. As part of our agreement, I will be making a full instructional DIY on doing the retrofit from a Business radio equipped car, including swapping in the HVAC relocation bracket and all the information on part numbers and tools needed to do the retro.

I was asked for both a written guide and an instructional video, so expect those at some point in the near future. I will then follow that up with a full review of the unit and most of its major functions, including the functionality of the optional DVR (dash cam), optional backup camera (dashcam and backup camera are sold as a package), and TPMS system with the optional sensors. Later in the year, perhaps spring or early summer, I will complete my factory PDC retrofit and will write a mini review of the way the unit integrates with the PDC system.

I guess I've become the nav reviewer of the forum. lol

And to answer the burning question: why did I end up buying one?
The answer: I knew that Avin had amazing customer support (which was proven last night). It appears that they took this long to come out with the unit because they were taking the time to iron out the bugs that the other manufacturers didn't bother with. This is what I was told, so we will see if this is truly the case. I hope it's true, but when it comes to pretty much zero cost, how could I not find out? I'm on a mission to find out if this is a truly "you get what you pay for" type of head unit.

P.S. - for those who are interested in finding out whether Android Auto or Apply CarPlay works properly with the unit, I'm willing to test it out for you if you donate me the required cable, and I'll send it back to you if you end up ordering one. :)

SaltyNC
01-08-2018, 05:50 PM
I ended up going with an Eonon GA8150A, but the Avin 3 looks like a very nice unit with a lot of extra features and polish. Looking forward to your review.

Salty

johnrando
01-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Congrats BP. Looking forward to hearing about it.

BMWCurves
01-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Well, where's the review?

https://i.imgur.com/4XqnvVm.gif

Karl Lazlo
01-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Well, where's the review?

Yeah. No kidding. Been almost 12 hours.

Cadeez
01-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Is there a newer version of the Xtrons PB7646BAP available now, or is this the newest version? Looks like it's been around since early 2017. Price is right though @ $290

https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Octa-Core-Capacitive-Mirroring-Monitoring/dp/B01MY9YHIB

I had been looking at the Eonon GA8150A, which I like the look of slightly more than the Xtrons, minus the branding on the face. I've been hesitant due to quite a few suspect reviews though... Price is still in the ballpark @ $307

https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/Vehicle-Specific-GPS/GA8150AT.html

Salty, any feedback from your experience?

I ended up going with an Eonon GA8150A, but the Avin 3 looks like a very nice unit with a lot of extra features and polish. Looking forward to your review.

Salty

BMWCurves
01-10-2018, 12:06 PM
A handful of members have that Xtrons unit you mentioned, including myself (still uninstalled - I’m waiting on the relocation bracket). BP did an extensive review you can search for.

ZHPizza
01-10-2018, 12:28 PM
A handful of members have that Xtrons unit you mentioned, including myself (still uninstalled - I’m waiting on the relocation bracket). BP did an extensive review you can search for.

You don't need the bracket fam. You can install it later. Put the radio in and let's bounce.

BMWCurves
01-10-2018, 12:30 PM
You don't need the bracket fam. You can install it later. Put the radio in and let's bounce.

I don’t know why you chose the username “ZHPizza” when you could have gone with the more accurate “Enabler“

Karl Lazlo
01-10-2018, 12:40 PM
I don’t know why you chose the username “ZHPizza” when you could have gone with the more accurate “Enabler“

'Pizza is right, though.

Cadeez
01-10-2018, 12:44 PM

Yeah I saw his writeup...I just didn't have an entire weekend to read it :) I breezed through it, great review, except for the squishy buttons :(

So you don't need the relocation bracket below??

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/radio-mounting-bracket/51167001410/

BMWCurves
01-10-2018, 12:45 PM
It’s not necessary, but it leaves a gap without it around the AC control unit.

Cadeez
01-10-2018, 12:54 PM

Hmm I see... You should probably just install yours then I can see how it looks :) I'm itchin to burn some Christmas chedda!

Cadeez
01-10-2018, 12:59 PM
There's also this option that was well reviewed by a member here, can't remember who though. Has a backup camera as well. Cost is equal w/ shipping

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Camera-DVR-Car-DVD-Player-For-BMW-E46-android-6-0-Radio-Stereo-GPS-Navigation/32802197114.html?shortkey=FVziIJVR&addresstype=600

ZHPizza
01-10-2018, 01:26 PM

THE GAPPIEST OF GAPS (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?20927-Review-Xtrons-PB7646BAP-Android-6-0-Head-Unit-Pic-Heavy&p=548510#post548510)

There's also this option that was well reviewed by a member here, can't remember who though. Has a backup camera as well. Cost is equal w/ shipping

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Camera-DVR-Car-DVD-Player-For-BMW-E46-android-6-0-Radio-Stereo-GPS-Navigation/32802197114.html?shortkey=FVziIJVR&addresstype=600

That's the one that I got. Go Xtrons for the same price. Xtrons has better heat dissipation. AliExpress unit skips music like an old cd player all summer and/or when there is something going on in the background.

Cadeez
01-10-2018, 03:15 PM
That's the one that I got. Go Xtrons for the same price. Xtrons has better heat dissipation. AliExpress unit skips music like an old cd player all summer and/or when there is something going on in the background.

Noted, thanks!! I may just pull the trigger this week...

az3579
01-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Just buy the bracket!
That's how it's meant to be. :)

BMWCurves
01-10-2018, 06:21 PM
Noted, thanks!! I may just pull the trigger this week...

I'll get around to it soon if you can wait. The bracket arrived today, but I probably won't get around to installing it until Wednesday or Thursday next week (work and prepping for more med school interviews).

Cadeez
01-11-2018, 12:09 AM
Just buy the bracket!
That's how it's meant to be. :)

Oh I will, I'm just getting antsy and that dang bracket is an extra $125...

I'll get around to it soon if you can wait. The bracket arrived today, but I probably won't get around to installing it until Wednesday or Thursday next week (work and prepping for more med school interviews).

Excuses, excuses... :) Shoot if you wait long enough we can install and troubleshoot them simultaneously!