PDA

View Full Version : Automatic transmission?

d-rod
11-29-2017, 09:26 AM
Hi All,

I need some input on the automatic trans for the ZHP.
My situation is I sold my e46 M3 and I'm driving around my e39 M5 daily.
It's a great vehicle but I don't feel I should be putting miles on it commuting in traffic.

SO my plan is to get a ZHP, I've already owned a manual before, but just started considering a automatic since it will be a DD and my girlfriend can take it if needed.
My question is, how much of a different experience is it between the manual and auto trans? I LOVED my manual ZHP. Is the auto still enjoyable to drive? Shifts when you feel it should? lags between shift??
Any input on this is appreciated !

stephenkirsh
11-29-2017, 02:17 PM
I DD/autox/track my auto zhp. Works great to me. It might even be faster through the first 2 gears than the manual due to the 3.64 diff.

I only ever drive it in manual mode, like an SMG M3.

Nothing is a perfect substitute for a manual, though.

slater
11-30-2017, 07:57 AM
the steptronic in the ZHP is really nice - head and shoulders above any other autobox i've ever used (i've never driven a DSG 'box for reference).

Jon D
11-30-2017, 12:40 PM
In traffic I use Sport mode when I want auto functions. Most of the time in manual mode and it’s fine. Great for a steptronic but not near as good as a Porsche PDK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrando
11-30-2017, 03:40 PM
Not even close. I hv STEP, I put paddle shifters on as well as Dinan STEP s/w, so both of those make it work for me, especially in L.A. traffic. But IMHO, if you like manual, the STEP just isn't the same. If you need auto for some reason of course do it, but if not, hold out for manual. Night and day driving experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk