PDA

View Full Version : Must have a thing for Z's

SaltyNC
12-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Hi everyone. I'm about to start a refresh of a 2005 330Ci ZHP. I was looking for a 325i/330i/330Ci for my son, and thought I found a nice coupe down in Alabama, but on deeper inspection, I found something from Loray Caverns growing in the expansion tank (looked like a stalagmite) and passed on the car. It all worked out, though, at least I think it did. I found a 2005 Jet Black ZHP that was bone stock, and drove 300+ miles to check it out and drove it 300+ miles back the same day. Driving the car back, I realized I really like this car, myself. I also have a Z4M roadster, so it seems I have a thing for Z's. When I bought the Z4M, I knew very little about the S54 engine or BMWs, but I took a deep dive, and felt like I learned enough about BMW's design philosophy and design language to be able to do most of the maintenance and repairs on the M54 engine in the E46's, and it wouldn't be ridiculously expensive to buy an older model E46 as long as I took care of the labor. What I love about the ZHP is that it already has most of what I was going to be spending thousands extra trying to achieve, and is definitely more than the sum of its parts.

The car:
2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP
156K on the odometer
Many of the common M54 failures have already been addressed. I'll be addressing some others.
5-speed Steptronic (yeah, I know)
Black leather steering wheel and seats
Jet Black paint
Aluminum cube trim
NAV unit (bleh -- but it leaves a big hole in the dash for something else) ;-)

From 5 feet away, the car looks nearly pristine, but I'm a detail guy, and I immediately started finding a lot of cosmetic flaws that will be addressed. The interior looks very nice for a car with this many miles, but there are issues there, too. I'm sure you are familiar with all of them. After I do a proper paint correction, there are 2 dents I will have a PDR magician remove. Tiny little depressions, but can't leave that alone.

I put together a mile-long list of parts, and got everything ordered on Sat, and I'll start actual refresh tomorrow. I'll document the process with a separate post. There is one part I'm finding impossible to find. Does anyone know of a source for a proper gloss black grill for a facelifted coupe? The only ones I have found have that eyelash line on the top of the kidney, and I don't want that. I finally ordered a matte black one from ECS, but it is on backorder. I bought some plastic primer and gloss jet black paint, and I'll probably sand, prep, and paint the chrome grill if I can't find one.

I see there are some members from NC, and specifically from the Charlotte/Lake Norman area. I live near Lake Wylie on the NC/SC border. If you see some old dude driving an Interlagos Blue Z4M with the top down in December, that's probably me. :-) This looks like a great community, and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Salty

Yelkos
12-19-2017, 04:39 AM
Welcome from Lake Norman, Glad to have you aboard. post some photos of both Z's

ZHPizza
12-19-2017, 06:12 AM
Welcome from Uptown QC!

For the grilles, I ended up getting the right one from ECS:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/bmw-performance-gloss-black-kidney-grille-right/51132158538/

But the left one is NLA and really hard to find:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/bmw-performance-gloss-black-kidney-grille-left-no-longer-available/51132158537/

I managed to find one on eBay, but I don't see anything on there now.

TBH the matte grilles still look good on the facelift coupe as they match the matte black inside the headlights really well. I think you may be happy with them as-is.

Also, the front sway bar on your Z4M is a perfect fit and great upgrade for the ZHP, if you're into cannibalization.

Vas
12-19-2017, 06:18 AM
Welcome.

Share some pictures if you don't mind

BMWCurves
12-19-2017, 07:49 AM
Welcome!

Unfortunately, as ZHPizza said, gloss black grilles are becoming much harder to find. You will probably either have to paint a set yourself or branch out from BMW-branded options. Good luck in your search!

KevinC
12-19-2017, 07:58 AM
Welcome! I have a thing for Z's too. 240Z when I was 19. 2 more Datsun/Nissan Z's later. Z4M Coupé, new in 2007. Kept it 8 years, traded it towards an E39 M5, that I could just never fall in love with, and bailed on that in a year. Never should have sold the Z4M.

SaltyNC
12-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Welcome from Lake Norman, Glad to have you aboard. post some photos of both Z's

Thanks for the welcome. I've been so busy with getting the car prepped before Christmas, I haven't been able to spend my time on the forum, but hope to participate more in the future. I'll get some pics posted soon. I started a build thread here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?21026-Salty-s-2005-330Ci-ZHP-Jet-Black-Coupe-Restore&highlight=Salty%27s).

I'll be posting more pics of the car's progress as I tighten it up. :) I'll post some pics of my Z4M in a few days, as well.

Salty

SaltyNC
12-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the links. I went with matte grills from ECS. They said the were backordered, but they came in before Christmas, so that worked out well. I have everything to paint the chrome grills with Jet Black gloss paint, so may give that a try just to see how it comes out and how it looks.

Interesting about the front sway bar. Thanks.

Salty

SaltyNC
12-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Pics coming soon.

Salty

SaltyNC
12-25-2017, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to try painting my chrome grill to see how it compares to matte. Thanks!

Salty

SaltyNC
12-25-2017, 07:50 PM
Welcome! I have a thing for Z's too. 240Z when I was 19. 2 more Datsun/Nissan Z's later. Z4M Coupé, new in 2007. Kept it 8 years, traded it towards an E39 M5, that I could just never fall in love with, and bailed on that in a year. Never should have sold the Z4M.

Oh man, sorry you sold the Z4M, KevinC. The Z4M Coupes are really becoming collectible, now. I think in a few more years, they will be worth a lot in great condition.

Salty

704sw
12-29-2017, 06:58 AM
Looks like I’m late to the party, but I’m also right around the corner in Ballantyne. With as many of us as there are, we really should arrange some kind of Charlotte mini-meet.

Yelkos
12-29-2017, 07:12 AM
Looks like I’m late to the party, but I’m also right around the corner in Ballantyne. With as many of us as there are, we really should arrange some kind of Charlotte mini-meet.

Sounds like a great idea. Im in.
instead of Cars and Coffee we could do Bimmers and Beer.

fredo
12-29-2017, 07:56 AM
Welcome, sir. Glad to hear both Z's are in good hands.