PDA

View Full Version : Central locking & Hazard buttons not working?

Cadeez
01-15-2018, 03:03 PM
Yesterday as I was getting out of my car, I hit the unlock button in the center console as always, and nothing happened... The button was just, dead. I had been in and out of my car earlier in the day, everything was normal. I decided to push the hazards button just for kicks, since it lives right next door...also nothing. So weird. Anyone ever come across this?? As far as I can tell everything else functions normally, I'm still able to unlock the doors with the key buttons, just not with the central locking buttons. I figured it was just being "buggy" and that after a few cycles of turning the car off and on it would go back to normal, but it hasn't yet. Thoughts??

ELCID86
01-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Weird. Maybe the button just quit? Should be easy to find at a junkyard.

ZHPizza
01-15-2018, 03:56 PM
I've had that button break on several e46's. Pull the center console and the switch and try pressing it while holding the bottom part in. It sometimes separates from the upper section and both buttons will stop working just like you're describing. Packing tape has proven to be an acceptable fix for the ones I've had that issue with.

Cadeez
01-15-2018, 04:00 PM
I've had that button break on several e46's. Pull the center console and the switch and try pressing it while holding the bottom part in. It sometimes separates from the upper section and both buttons will stop working just like you're describing. Packing tape has proven to be an acceptable fix for the ones I've had that issue with.

Roger that, I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!

slater
01-15-2018, 08:17 PM
anything else not working? this sounds like a dying GM5 module.

Cadeez
01-16-2018, 06:01 PM
anything else not working? this sounds like a dying GM5 module.

Nope, everything else is A okay. What's a G5M module?

Haven't had a chance to pull apart the console yet, but I will this weekend and keep you guys posted.

fredo
01-16-2018, 07:35 PM
Same thing happened on my first e46 (1999 323i). It was the button. I remember the day before my 10 y/o nephew moved from the back seat to the front seat and stepped on the center console. I blamed him in my mind. But on second thoughts it was just a coincidence.

John in VA
01-16-2018, 07:56 PM
What's a G5M module?
General Module info - https://www.bmwgm5.com/default_right.htm

Cadeez
01-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Same thing happened on my first e46 (1999 323i). It was the button. I remember the day before my 10 y/o nephew moved from the back seat to the front seat and stepped on the center console. I blamed him in my mind. But on second thoughts it was just a coincidence.

Nope...blame the kid! :)

General Module info - https://www.bmwgm5.com/default_right.htm

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get a minute

Cadeez
01-31-2018, 02:30 PM
I found this little video for the switch removal and "fix", figured I had to post it here because...well you'll see why haha. This guy is priceless, especially at the very end. NSFW

In related news, I'm going to try this method right now and see if it works :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj3CI-balPM

ZHPizza
01-31-2018, 05:20 PM
I found this little video for the switch removal and "fix", figured I had to post it here because...well you'll see why haha. This guy is priceless, especially at the very end. NSFW

In related news, I'm going to try this method right now and see if it works :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj3CI-balPMLol that was great. Definitely the failure mode that I've seen often. The only thing I would do different from him is use packing tape since it has zero stretch. I've had to go back and redo it when duct or electrical tape have stretched out enough to let the bottom section move enough for the switch to stop working again.

Cadeez
02-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Worked like a charm! In & out in like 5 mins, done. So funny how there's such an easy fix to some of these problems, and I'd been driving around for over a month suffering with the double door handle pull to get out!! The part is only like $45, but still, free is always better

I did use duct tape, didn't have any packing tape on hand, but made sure it was stuck on there good

BMWCurves
02-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Always good when you save yourself some money and feel like a bush mechanic in the process.

fredo
02-02-2018, 08:38 AM
LOL ... that video.

Cadeez
02-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Always good when you save yourself some money and feel like a bush mechanic in the process.

Yessir! Felt a little like I was fixin an El Camino in my yard...

LOL ... that video.

Right? Classic