PDA

View Full Version : Long time yearning, finally a purchase, 2100 miles later

tigerm7
01-30-2018, 08:54 PM
Hi All,

My journey in BMWs started after my first purchase of a E90 328xi. The fascination, stemmed from love of driving, took me through two more E90s and one F10, all non-Ms. The whole time I had always deep down wanted a ZHP. There was just something about the way they looked, the significance, and I'm sure the handling despite never had driven one.

To reiterate the love of driving, last year I drove about 8k miles across the country in road trips alone.

I had always talked myself out of a ZHP due to wanting something more "reliable" and henceforth newer. Each year I'd secretly look for ZHPs, scouring ZHP Mafia forums, and the first time I reached out to someone for a ZHP was back in 2013 offering a trade for my then 328xi.

Though few months ago I came across a listing on the forums here; an 04 auto black/black sedan. Perfect for my use, and my ideal dream ZHP. I debated for good couple months before reaching out to the seller. And debated even more through conversations with the seller, but ultimately I had to give in. This is something I had always wanted, something I can daily drive, and something I can be content with.

So last Friday, I flew out to LA with a friend, and drove it straight back to Chicago over the course of 2.5 days and 2,100~ miles. While I'd call photography my side hobby, due to the rush and needing to be back into work Monday I didn't get the chance to take many photos. But here are a few I managed to pull off.

I'd like to thank the community here and especially the seller for the great experience. Couldn't have asked for anything better.

Question
Before we get to the photos a question.. I'm in Chicagoland and need winter wheels. Managed to find a set on Craigslist with Blizzak LM25s on OEM BMW wheels I believe pulled from a E90. Size is 225/45 R17 94V with TPMS and these are run flats. I don't care for ride quality for winter, just need something with the grip. Would it be okay for me to put these wheels and tires on? Any possible issues?

Pics

John in VA
01-31-2018, 09:46 AM
Welcome, and thanks for the great introduction & photos!
I know E90 wheels can work, but will have to defer to someone more knowledgeable about the tire size & TPMS.

san
01-31-2018, 10:05 AM
Welcome!
I think you should be fine buying those wheels/tires. The e46 does not need tpms sensors, it uses wheels speed to monitor the tire pressure if your car is equipped with tpms. I believe tpms was an option only on 05 and 06 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincezhp8
01-31-2018, 11:41 AM
Welcome! It was bitter sweet for me to sell the car but I'm glad it went to someone who will appreciate and take good care of it. Nice Pics! I'm not sure but I think e90's have a different offset than the e46.

danewilson77
01-31-2018, 11:54 AM
Welcome home

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3ZHPGUY
01-31-2018, 02:32 PM
Welcome and thanks for sharing the great pics.

I do have a set of winter wheels that I used on my ZHP. There’re located in the west Cleveland, OH area if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anandoc
01-31-2018, 03:21 PM
Welcome! Your car is quite similar to mine - black on black automatic!

Oli77
01-31-2018, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the Mafia. Tell us if the driving experience coming from an e90 was that much better? Different?

tigerm7
02-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Thanks all! I did go ahead and get those tires as we're expecting decent snow over the coming weekend. Lets see how they perform.

Welcome to the Mafia. Tell us if the driving experience coming from an e90 was that much better? Different?
Different would be the correct term; better would be subjective. The E46 is far more "playable" being light compared to the E90. I feel that I have much more control of the car in the ZHP and not afraid to throw it into maneuvers I definitely would not try in a F10 and would be cautious in a E90. To me personally, I would label it as better.

johnrando
02-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Awesome... welcome!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

holyc0w
02-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Welcome home

Xcessive46
02-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Congrats on what seemed to be a very nice car. I seriously contemplated this car and contacted Vince about it but never pulled the trigger. My loss. Enjoy your new ZHP!

Yelkos
02-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Welcome, What part of Chicagoland are you from?. i'm originally from LIbertyville but i still have family all over the area.

fredo
02-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Welcome, sir. Congrats.