PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power to radio

BMWCurves
03-24-2018, 05:02 PM
So I've spent the day trying to install an Xtrons PB7656BAP head unit. I had it plugged in and functioning. I turned off the ignition and was repositioning and then tried again and now the headunit is not receiving power. Some stray observations:

Plugged into the head unit: 1. L-shaped radio input adapter cable attached to the Xtrons-provided radio cable which itself is attached to the factory radio cable, 2. GPS, 3. USB and 4. power adapter cable
I have replaced the 15A fuse on the back, no difference
When I turn on the ignition, the Xtrons head unit will not power on nor will the buttons light up when I have the headlights on.
Swapping back to my factory BMW Business head unit, the radio will light up with the headlights, but it will not turn on. I replaced its 10A fuse as well with no change in result.
The HVAC control unit functions normally.
All wires to the power cable appear to be intact.

Thoughts? I am at a bit of a loss because even the factory radio head unit isn't functioning, which suggests its an issue with the car's cabling, but visual inspection doesn't result in any immediate solution.

Karl Lazlo
03-24-2018, 05:34 PM
There are additional fuses for the radio in the fuse panel, besides the fuse on the unit. Checks those.

Also, the XTRONS unit does not by default light the buttons on with the headlight. If the unit has power, the buttons will illuminate.

ZHPizza
03-24-2018, 05:58 PM
Have you started the car too? Might have drained the battery.

dkmcclelland
03-24-2018, 06:58 PM
I blame the TSE3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
03-24-2018, 07:01 PM
There are additional fuses for the radio in the fuse panel, besides the fuse on the unit. Checks those.

Also, the XTRONS unit does not by default light the buttons on with the headlight. If the unit has power, the buttons will illuminate.

I had checked those, but turns out I can't properly count. I checked fuses 7 and 40, but needed to check 41, which was blown. Still not sure why a 30A fuse was blown. Problem solved though!

Have you started the car too? Might have drained the battery.

Tried that, battery was fine.

I blame the TSE3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well whaddaya know...

Oli77
03-25-2018, 06:02 AM
Good to hear you're rocking again

Sockethead
03-26-2018, 09:47 AM
I hate it when dumb stuff like this happens.... I usually spend at least a half hour remembering all my favorite curse words and how to use them in a sentence

Karl Lazlo
03-26-2018, 09:53 AM
I usually spend at least a half hour remembering all my favorite curse words and how to use them in a sentence

A whole 30 minutes? Rookie.