PDA

View Full Version : 2004 ZHP Touring (conversion)

unlsax
05-04-2018, 08:47 AM
This is not mine but I came across it today. Looks like it would be an amazing ride.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-BMW-3-Series-ZHP/292537899668?hash=item441c9e1a94:g:UA4AAOSwT6Va4LK 1&vxp=mtr

slater
05-04-2018, 09:29 AM
it's a great combination, but i think you could do much better for what they are asking for that one on ebay - it looks a bit scruffy, it's not a 6-speed, and there's no mention of suspension refreshment.

if i worked part-time i would totally consider building these for people - they could order it to a certain spec.

BMWCurves
05-04-2018, 09:57 AM
it's a great combination, but i think you could do much better for what they are asking for that one on ebay - it looks a bit scruffy, it's not a 6-speed, and there's no mention of suspension refreshment.

if i worked part-time i would totally consider building these for people - they could order it to a certain spec.

Agreed. But I you pay for the convenience of not having to do it yourself.

slater
05-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Agreed. But I you pay for the convenience of not having to do it yourself.

well, it depends on the car and the price. ;) the price should reflect what has been done, and what's still left to be done.

as much as i would like to drive the value of these things up....this ebay one is priced too high, in my opinion, for what it is. they went the easy route and only swapped the engine. now, the 325i brakes are OK - but the 330's had bigger rear axles too - i'm always of the opinion that if you're going to do something, you should do it right.

and, well, frig...as long as i'm tearing this guy apart (ha) - the ad copy is lousy, and the car is dirty in the pictures. that's just no way to sell a car, especially something like this.

(stepping down, now ;))

az3579
05-04-2018, 10:24 AM
I agree with Peter on all points. I raise my eyebrow when I see "no expense spared" and then see 5-speed swap.
Regardless of that though, looks like a really nicely kept car.

slater
05-04-2018, 10:38 AM
I agree with Peter on all points. I raise my eyebrow when I see "no expense spared" and then see 5-speed swap.
Regardless of that though, looks like a really nicely kept car.

you know, i didn't even think to check the build sheet - the car was indeed an automatic. so they swapped in a 5-speed. guh. more work than just an engine swap, but......cheaper? ;)

and it was built on my 25th birthday. this car is now spiting me for tearing its' owner a new one. go figure.

BMWCurves
05-04-2018, 11:14 AM
well, it depends on the car and the price. ;) the price should reflect what has been done, and what's still left to be done.

as much as i would like to drive the value of these things up....this ebay one is priced too high, in my opinion, for what it is. they went the easy route and only swapped the engine. now, the 325i brakes are OK - but the 330's had bigger rear axles too - i'm always of the opinion that if you're going to do something, you should do it right.

and, well, frig...as long as i'm tearing this guy apart (ha) - the ad copy is lousy, and the car is dirty in the pictures. that's just no way to sell a car, especially something like this.

(stepping down, now ;))

Oh I agree with you completely. I'm just saying that the inflated price is for the convenience of not having to locate a Touring body, locate a donor engine, etc. I'm not saying it's an accurate price for the car you're getting.

az3579
05-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Oh I agree with you completely. I'm just saying that the inflated price is for the convenience of not having to locate a Touring body, locate a donor engine, etc. I'm not saying it's an accurate price for the car you're getting.If you're gonna spend the money, you're better off locating that stuff on your own anyway so you can 1) customize the build the way you want it and 2) make sure it was done right. Sometimes you just don't know what quality work was done on the conversion until you start to dig into things.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cabrio330
05-04-2018, 03:08 PM
The seller of this car posted over at E46 - link below is to his first post in the Tourings for Sale thread but there was an interesting conversation that followed. Draw your own conclusions but I didn't care for his style. Still respect the work product though.

Edit: if link doesn't take you directly to his first post, just go to post #1619, username Lagwagon.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=18249314&postcount=1619#/topics/1093661?page=162

slater
05-04-2018, 07:31 PM
wow. i agree with you - not caring for his style is a nice way to put it. :) and i don't see that car selling for more than $9K.

az3579
05-05-2018, 05:19 AM
I can see what you guys are talking about. I stopped reading once I saw he stated his car is better than a fully ZHP-swapped Alpine White touring done by a reputable E46 enthusiast.