PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shocks squeaking after less than a year

Fried_Chicken
06-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Interesting phenomenon.... Less than a year after I replaced my (totally failed) stock shocks with some Bilsteins,
I'm again experiencing horrible squeaking from the shocks.

Is this normal behavior, because to me this seems unacceptable.

Vas
06-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Shock mounts?

az3579
06-15-2018, 02:20 PM
Are you sure the squeaking is from the mounts? I'd imagine springs to be more likely culprits of squeaking.

Fried_Chicken
06-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Springs squeaking?

az3579
06-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Springs squeaking?Yeah... Like a squeaky mattress.
Were the shock mounts replaced?
Is it on just one side or both?
Rear control arm bushings?
Not sure what else is back there so I'm out of ideas.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

704sw
06-17-2018, 07:20 AM
I don’t associate squeaks and dampers, but that’s just me.

What else have you replaced? On a minimum 13 year old car I’d say there’s a lot that could be worn out and thus the cause of your phantom sound.

Fried_Chicken
06-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Yeah... Like a squeaky mattress.
Were the shock mounts replaced?
Is it on just one side or both?
Rear control arm bushings?
Not sure what else is back there so I'm out of ideas.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

One mount was replaced, the other (new) mount broke randomly. Both sides are squeaking. Could be the control arm bushings, I think they're going bad.

Sockethead
06-19-2018, 03:19 PM
I'm still thinking springs. As the springs compress, they turn slightly. If the spring pads are worn through, it's going to squeak. If you undo the lower shock mounts, you should be able to push down on the suspension enough to see if this is the case...

Fried_Chicken
06-20-2018, 01:59 PM
I'm still thinking springs. As the springs compress, they turn slightly. If the spring pads are worn through, it's going to squeak. If you undo the lower shock mounts, you should be able to push down on the suspension enough to see if this is the case...

I think it's the spring pads. Makes sense, the shocks shouldn't be squeaking after less than a year. Granted I found out I have bilstein shocks and not ZHP originals (from Sachs).

Dave1027
06-20-2018, 02:39 PM
Take the rear shocks off and test drive it to see if the squeak goes away.