PDA

View Full Version : Xenon bulb replacements

kakashi169
06-25-2018, 05:02 AM
Looks like my driver side bulb is out.

I searched the forums to see if there were any suggested vendor and it seems like the links shared before (retrofit source) has gone down in history and is NLA.

Anyone got a suggested website to buy these bulbs off of?

Thanks in advance!

Vas
06-25-2018, 05:11 AM
The retrofit source - https://www.theretrofitsource.com/
Lightwerkz - https://www.lightwerkz.net/

kakashi169
06-25-2018, 06:01 AM
The retrofit source - https://www.theretrofitsource.com/
Lightwerkz - https://www.lightwerkz.net/

Nice! Thanks!

Any suggestions on which bulb to get?

Vas
06-25-2018, 06:08 AM
Nice! Thanks!

Any suggestions on which bulb to get?

It is a good idea to replace hid bulbs in pairs - not just 1.

The standard bulbs have always been the Phillips 85122 or the Osram 66240 but if your budget allows for a bit more, the Osram CBI have always been a top contender.

If you do order from Lightwekrz, first time customers get 15% off. (Welcome15) is the promo code

ZHPizza
06-25-2018, 06:43 AM
@704sw ordered my replacement bulbs for me because he's a lighting guru

See if he'll pop in here and give you a recommendation

az3579
06-25-2018, 07:10 AM
I have the Osram CBB's. They're pretty awesome, but they are pricey as fawk.

704sw
06-25-2018, 07:11 AM
My suggestion is the 66240 Classic (4000k) or 85122 (4300k) because I don’t like the added eye fatigue of higher color temperatures. I absolutely would never put in anything higher than 5000k, and certainly wouldn’t pay a premium for a bluer bulb. 85122 is almost guaranteed to be what’s in there now, and it was the gold standard OEM bulb for ages.

I’d buy the 85122 or 66240 for $85 (less 15% for the Lightwerkz promo Vas linked). You’re not getting any added benefit by splurging for the 66240 Nightbreaker or 85122+ [edit: or any other “high performance bulb] unless you upgrade from the OEM 35w ballasts, and anyone who says you are is wrong. Those bulbs only benefit when using a 55w ballast.

ZHPizza
06-25-2018, 07:20 AM
^^^ there that boy go

az3579
06-25-2018, 07:26 AM
You’re not getting any added benefit by splurging for the 66240 Nightbreaker or 85122+ [edit: or any other “high performance bulb] unless you upgrade from the OEM 35w ballasts, and anyone who says you are is wrong. Those bulbs only benefit when using a 55w ballast.

The Retrofit Source does comparisons all the time between different bulbs and a 35W ballast, and there are clear differences between the bulb light outputs. To say there isn't a difference between a $60 pair of bulbs and a $160 pair of bulbs is inaccurate a lot of the time.

704sw
06-25-2018, 07:34 AM
The Retrofit Source does comparisons all the time between different bulbs and a 35W ballast, and there are clear differences between the bulb light outputs. To say there isn't a difference between a $60 pair of bulbs and a $160 pair of bulbs is inaccurate a lot of the time.

I’m not saying there isn’t a difference—I’m saying the benefits won’t be reaped on 15 year old 35w ballasts, 15 year old reflector bowls, frosted lenses, and projectors most light snobs say are garbage. I don’t mean to get into a debate, it’s just based on my time spent over at HID Planet. There certainly is a difference between the bulbs.

az3579
06-25-2018, 07:36 AM
I’m not saying there isn’t a difference, I’m saying the benefits won’t be reaped on 15 year old 35w ballasts, 15 year old reflector bowls frosted lenses, and projectors most light snobs say are garbage. I don’t mean to get into a debate, it’s just based on my time spent over at HID Planet. There certainly is a difference between the bulbs.

I know I've had quite a bit of a difference, but I've had my projectors swapped to FX-R's, which are significantly better than the stock ZKW projectors. I'd never put those pieces of burning out garbage back in my car ever again!

Vas
06-25-2018, 07:37 AM
Here is a vid of the Phillips bulbs and the Osram CBB

https://youtu.be/WtLKpf_IYTs

I currently have the Phillips 85122 and while they are a nice OE bulb I would not buy them again

704sw
06-25-2018, 07:40 AM
I know I've had quite a bit of a difference, but I've had my projectors swapped to FX-R's, which are significantly better than the stock ZKW projectors. I'd never put those pieces of burning out garbage back in my car ever again!

Ah yes, I forgot you ditched the ZKWs. I’d say the difference in coin is better invested on FX-Rs (are they up to version 3.0 yet?) than the bulbs, but that’s just my opinion lol. ZKWs have such horrible hot-spotting. My ALs are better than the ZKW, and can be halfway decent with clear lenses and a cutoff shield mod, but they’re still not superb.

az3579
06-25-2018, 07:48 AM
Ah yes, I forgot you ditched the ZKWs. I’d say the difference in coin is better invested on FX-Rs (are they up to version 3.0 yet?) than the bulbs, but that’s just my opinion lol. ZKWs have such horrible hot-spotting. My ALs are better than the ZKW, and can be halfway decent with clear lenses and a cutoff shield mod, but they’re still not superb.

Bruh...
FX-R's are at v4 now. lol

I have v1's that I got for free from Charlie. Thanks Charlie!

kakashi169
06-25-2018, 08:46 AM

Can you provide me with a product link?? I dont wanna buy the wrong set for the one you recommended lol

JohnnyGraphic
06-26-2018, 12:16 PM
It is a good idea to replace hid bulbs in pairs - not just 1.

The standard bulbs have always been the Phillips 85122 or the Osram 66240 but if your budget allows for a bit more, the Osram CBI have always been a top contender.

If you do order from Lightwekrz, first time customers get 15% off. (Welcome15) is the promo code

+1 in doing them in pairs. My lights were very, very dim to the point where the street lights were brighter than my headlights. Figured it was due to the burnt bowls. Then, the drivers side went out. Replaced both and the increase in light output was amazing!!!

Besides, doing it is a royal pain in the rear especially if you have the cold weather package/headlight washers. Ugh...

For the record, I got the Miyamoto Musashi 5500’s. (Actually, can’t remember the exact name). Extra points to anyone here who can guess who he really is. ;)

Happy motoring and be safe all.

Turbolex
06-27-2018, 06:43 PM
I don't login here often, but I do have a spare Phillips OEM xenon bulb if anyone needs it.

As for the burnt 'bowls' I had that problem originally too... I upgraded both of my headlights to the non-zkw assemblies with incredible results. The leftover bulb was from the ZKW... the bulb was fine, the housing was just crap