PDA

View Full Version : We haven’t done a GB in a while

BADCLOWN
07-24-2018, 12:56 PM
I know I had organized a GAS DISA/cap group buy a while back. From an organizer point of view it was pretty easy and it went well/people were happy.

Is there anything the majority of us on here want or need for our cars that we can try to get something organized for?

johnrando
07-24-2018, 01:06 PM
Can't think of anything but love the idea. Hope someone comes up with something.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

danewilson77
07-24-2018, 03:37 PM
I'm waiting for ccv delete

JPMo
07-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Probably a long shot, but if we could somehow source original or high quality replicas of the garbino lip in a group buy, I think we could get a decent amount of people. My understanding is that they are pretty rare and made in Japan so logistics would SUCK

google'd pic for those who don't know what it is:

BADCLOWN
07-24-2018, 04:42 PM
I reeeeaaaaaally want a CF lip for mine that looks like that

JPMo
07-24-2018, 04:51 PM
I reeeeaaaaaally want a CF lip for mine that looks like that

Yep. Probably the only lip I'd consider really.

charter21p5
07-24-2018, 06:24 PM
I agree that would be cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FungShui
07-24-2018, 07:44 PM
I would be interested in the lip as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bimmerteknik
07-25-2018, 03:39 AM
I’d be interested in one possibly two as well

ZHPizza
07-25-2018, 05:43 AM
I'd tear that shit off in a heartbeat where do you guys drive?

az3579
07-25-2018, 07:23 AM

This

And it'd probably still be expensive, because Carbon Fiber.

BADCLOWN
07-25-2018, 09:19 AM

I’ve onky put 15k miles on my ZHP in the 3+ years I’ve owned it sooooooooooooooooo it shouldn’t be an issue for me personally haha

3ZHPGUY
07-25-2018, 01:13 PM
Getting out of my driveway with that still connected would be an issue for me!

JPMo
07-25-2018, 02:14 PM
haha you know, I'd probably tear it off too but it just looks so good

rkneeshaw
07-26-2018, 07:28 PM
Probably a long shot, but if we could somehow source original or high quality replicas of the garbino lip in a group buy, I think we could get a decent amount of people. My understanding is that they are pretty rare and made in Japan so logistics would SUCK

IN! The only lip worth buying.

sillieidiot
07-27-2018, 01:48 AM
ESS TS Stage 2.5 :eeps

Newjack
07-27-2018, 04:43 AM
ESS TS Stage 2.5 :eeps

I doubt we could find enough to make a group buy worth it, but I'm genuinely curious if ESS would even consider it

sillieidiot
07-27-2018, 10:07 AM
I doubt we could find enough to make a group buy worth it, but I'm genuinely curious if ESS would even consider it

I think they would. They ran a GB for their E46 M3 VT series before. I think they took like 900 off.

704sw
07-27-2018, 12:40 PM
I really like how that lip follows the bumper contour, but I’d like it a little thinner (more like a proper splitter). I’d also be down for a GAS system.

BADCLOWN
07-27-2018, 12:40 PM
I def want to SC as well but want to go the VF route

TLL0003
07-27-2018, 01:17 PM
That splitter looks really cool I’d be interested depending on the price. I definitely want that SC but I’m sure that’s still going to be pricey

JPMo
07-28-2018, 04:51 AM
Well since we have all this interest in the lip, lets get the ball rolling! Anyone know a fabricator or speaks japanese?

JPMo
07-31-2018, 01:24 PM
well I tried to contact a group of guys in Baltimore that have a Youtube channel called "street banditos" whom I believe may also own Industry Garage (online store that sells only an e46 M3 wide body kit). They're a bunch of guys who seem to do quality fabricating from their shop. Their channel features various builds, most notably a full Carbon fiber 240Z. Not wrapped, but with actual custom built carbon fiber panels. I'll link their channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCACpqvHISBbfy7hD4oQzpbA

Anyways, I asked if they're interested in potentially creating a replica of the Garbino lip. Their response was basically that they like the idea but are too busy with trying to finish the 240 by their deadline in Sept, to take on any additional fabrication projects, BUT it may be a possibility in the near future. I'll shoot them a message in a month or so and get an update. For those of you in the Baltimore area, they're having an open house at their shop on Thurs Aug 2 if you want to stop by and represent. I probably wont be able to make it but maybe if multiple people mention the replica, we can sway them!

BMWCurves
07-31-2018, 07:21 PM
I'd be interested, depending on pricing. Thanks for reaching out!

BADCLOWN
08-01-2018, 09:59 AM
I’m in need of new floor mats badly as well

TLL0003
08-01-2018, 10:33 AM
I’m in need of new floor mats badly as well

I could get on board with a group buy for mats

joeybananaz18
08-01-2018, 10:38 AM
I could get on board with a group buy for mats

I had coco mats in my e92 and loved them. I'd definitely pick up another set for the ZHP.

John in VA
08-01-2018, 11:22 AM
I had coco mats in my e92 and loved them. I'd definitely pick up another set for the ZHP.
I might consider some for my ZHP - have them in my 2002 & E28. One of their reps was in Pittsburgh for PVGP, but I didn't get time to stop by their booth. I wonder how many sets are needed & what discount they could offer?

kakashi169
08-01-2018, 11:26 AM

need this lip!

BADCLOWN
08-01-2018, 02:37 PM
I’d really like to get matching color mats but with an M stripe. There was a floor mats thread a while back talking about them

BADCLOWN
08-02-2018, 01:03 PM
I contacted this seller to see if they make these floor mats for sedan:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F29 2647149080

They do different piping colors as well

danewilson77
08-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Those are slightly yummy

BADCLOWN
08-03-2018, 12:49 AM
Turns out they do make sedan sets. I ordered a set just now. I’ll see what the quality and finish is like when they arrive and report back. I also asked them if they would be interested in a GB pending we have enough interest here.

TLL0003
08-03-2018, 03:08 AM
Turns out they do make sedan sets. I ordered a set just now. I’ll see what the quality and finish is like when they arrive and report back. I also asked them if they would be interested in a GB pending we have enough interest here.

I’m curious how they look. What color did you end up getting? I would definitely be in for a group buy for them

BADCLOWN
08-03-2018, 03:13 AM
I got black with the woven piping (looks to be black with a hint of gray). It would be pictures 1-5 on the link below (over 90 pics showing what they offer)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F30 2810954320

sparky300
08-03-2018, 03:29 PM
I'm waiting for ccv delete

This.

sillieidiot
08-05-2018, 03:53 AM
So since the lip is out for now. Ask ess if they will do a gb lol

TLL0003
08-07-2018, 10:05 AM

Did you ever hear back about a group buy on these mats?

BADCLOWN
08-07-2018, 11:51 AM
I have sent then two follow up messages with no response back. I’m still waiting on my mats to show up as well

BADCLOWN
08-10-2018, 01:16 AM
Here is what they sent me back about a group buy:

New message from: autowineu Top Rated Seller(2,811Red Star)
We can make wholesale prices for orders:
10-20 sets 85 usd set
20-30 sets 80 usd set
30-50 sets 75 usd set
50+ sets 65 usd set
+ combine shipping

I did a product review of these in the product review section (pics included)

FungShui
10-04-2018, 10:53 PM
Would still be interested if they are willing to produce the lip.

well I tried to contact a group of guys in Baltimore that have a Youtube channel called "street banditos" whom I believe may also own Industry Garage (online store that sells only an e46 M3 wide body kit). They're a bunch of guys who seem to do quality fabricating from their shop. Their channel features various builds, most notably a full Carbon fiber 240Z. Not wrapped, but with actual custom built carbon fiber panels. I'll link their channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCACpqvHISBbfy7hD4oQzpbA

Anyways, I asked if they're interested in potentially creating a replica of the Garbino lip. Their response was basically that they like the idea but are too busy with trying to finish the 240 by their deadline in Sept, to take on any additional fabrication projects, BUT it may be a possibility in the near future. I'll shoot them a message in a month or so and get an update. For those of you in the Baltimore area, they're having an open house at their shop on Thurs Aug 2 if you want to stop by and represent. I probably wont be able to make it but maybe if multiple people mention the replica, we can sway them!

Quickjack would be top of my list if were to do a another group buy.

stephenkirsh
10-07-2018, 08:27 PM
I’d be interested in an all weather floor mat for front seats only. Rears are basically untouched still.

Sockethead
10-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Apparently, there is a lot of interest in this:

lol i'm down for the group buy. for 6 drakes, shipping was almost the same as the price.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj-y9nF-v7dAhXKtlMKHRwPC50QjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.etsy.com%2Flisting%2F5000326 42%2Fdrake-air-freshener&psig=AOvVaw1ER25Reu5CUBaH9NOvDAaQ&ust=1539366846916636

sillieidiot
10-14-2018, 09:01 PM
Quickjack would be top of my list if were to do a another group buy.

I saw this a couple days ago and thought of this thread lol

https://slickdeals.net/f/12122965-costco-members-quickjack-5-000-lb-capacity-portable-car-lift-1100-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

ZHPizza
10-15-2018, 06:31 PM

https://slickdeals.net/f/12122965-costco-members-quickjack-5-000-lb-capacity-portable-car-lift-1100-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1That is an excellent deal. I paid $1k for my 3500-SLX and it's a touch undersized for the e46. Just annoying enough that I would have happily paid another $100 for the larger 5000-SLX. Anyone that's been considering a quickjack should jump all over this.

sillieidiot
10-16-2018, 10:09 AM
Yeah I was tempted lol But I'm pretty sure I would want the beefier version since I do work on SUVs too. Been looking for something I could use to replace the mid-rise lift that I may be selling.

FungShui
10-16-2018, 10:30 PM

https://slickdeals.net/f/12122965-costco-members-quickjack-5-000-lb-capacity-portable-car-lift-1100-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1Thanks, I just picked one up. [emoji41]

ZHPizza
10-17-2018, 09:23 AM
I'm working with a manufacturer on pricing for a group buy of big bore throttle bodies because I want one, but not for $350+

Here's my math:

HFM/intake plumbing = 91mm
Stock throttle body = 68mm
Bored throttle body = 72mm

So the 72mm diameter throttle body is still a choke point, but we're looking at a 12% increase in area for flow over the stock 68mm. That's significant. It would be extra significant for the FI bois running around here...y'all can mash a good bit more air through a 12% larger window...

What y'all think?

san
10-17-2018, 10:09 AM
I'm working with a manufacturer on pricing for a group buy of big bore throttle bodies because I want one, but not for $350+

Here's my math:

HFM/intake plumbing = 91mm
Stock throttle body = 68mm
Bored throttle body = 72mm

So the 72mm diameter throttle body is still a choke point, but we're looking at a 12% increase in area for flow over the stock 68mm. That's significant. It would be extra significant for the FI bois running around here...y'all can mash a good bit more air through a 12% larger window...

What y'all think?

I’d be interested to know how much performance increase that equates to. I remember Rob telling me he had the Dinan throttle body along with Dinan software installed and he was left underwhelmed...

Also, is the throttle a choke point on m54’s? I can’t remember how big or small the intake manifold opening downstream of the throttle is relative to the stock throttle body but if it’s smaller than 72mm then I can’t see the benefit of the bigger throttle body...

Sockethead
10-17-2018, 10:36 AM
I noticed no difference whatsoever. Same after I supercharged it. AJ at ESS Tuning said it would add maybe 5 HP with the supercharger...

There were some on e46f FI forum experimenting with throttle bodies from one of the V8s... I can’t remember whether they were successful.
Stewart is putting out well over 400hp in his wagon and I believe he is using the stock throttle body

If you want the car to breath better, I’d go for headers and cams before a throttle body

cornercarver
10-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Larger throttle bodies do not always = more power. BMW engineers designed it that way for a reason. You can't change just one element in the intake tract without considering the larger picture; A smaller TB may provide better air velocity. I'm not an engineer, but it seems like velocity would be more important than volume on a naturally aspirated lower-displacement engine.

ZHPizza
10-17-2018, 01:24 PM
I’d be interested to know how much performance increase that equates to. I remember Rob telling me he had the Dinan throttle body along with Dinan software installed and he was left underwhelmed...

Also, is the throttle a choke point on m54’s? I can’t remember how big or small the intake manifold opening downstream of the throttle is relative to the stock throttle body but if it’s smaller than 72mm then I can’t see the benefit of the bigger throttle body...

He's working on getting me a dyno plot showing a 4-5hp bump on a bone stock engine. Add headers + intake and ??? 6-7hp???

I can't say that it's the final choke point as I also don't know what's going on in the manifold, but I can say for certain that moving the choke point helps quite a bit. I remember the whole intake on my 95 M3 was 3.0", but swapping the HFM and air filter to 3.5" made a massive difference, even though the rest of it still necked down to the 3.0" before the throttle body. Moving a larger column of air closer to the manifold is always helpful. BTW this one should be slightly larger than the Dinan (9% vs 12% increase in area).

I noticed no difference whatsoever. Same after I supercharged it. AJ at ESS Tuning said it would add maybe 5 HP with the supercharger...

There were some on e46f FI forum experimenting with throttle bodies from one of the V8s... I can’t remember whether they were successful.
Stewart is putting out well over 400hp in his wagon and I believe he is using the stock throttle body

If you want the car to breath better, I’d go for headers and cams before a throttle body

Absolutely. I'm already working on a header project and hoping that a bored throttle body will open things up just a bit more. I'm not expecting more than 5hp. I won't notice it anyway. I didn't notice the claimed 5-10hp difference with underdrive pulleys either, but I know that all of these little modifications to help the engine breathe better will build on eachother as I go. The manufacturer sent me a screenshot of a message from a guy that put one on his 330 and he said that the throttle response was greatly improved. That, I will definitely notice.

Larger throttle bodies do not always = more power. BMW engineers designed it that way for a reason. You can't change just one element in the intake tract without considering the larger picture; A smaller TB may provide better air velocity. I'm not an engineer, but it seems like velocity would be more important than volume on a naturally aspirated lower-displacement engine.

I am an engineer and brother, you're on the right track. High velocity going into the cylinders is crucial and that's the reason that you have the long runners on the intake manifold. The throttle body is upstream of those, so its job is to allow air into the main chamber of the intake manifold where it can be pulled down the runners and into the cylinders. Anything that you can do to reduce restrictions between the cylinder and the cold air source is going to be beneficial for both throttle response and peak power. It's the same logic of using a cone intake in place of the air box. It's not going to magically find 15 more hp in the engine, but 5 is perfectly reasonable.

az3579
10-18-2018, 08:11 AM
The manufacturer sent me a screenshot of a message from a guy that put one on his 330 and he said that the throttle response was greatly improved. That, I will definitely notice.

I installed a Dinan throttle body on my ZHP back when it didn't have any power issues and while the difference didn't seem big, I did feel a very slight increase in mid-range "feel", if that makes any sense. Throttle response wasn't really any different; the lag from the drive-by-wire system was still present and didn't feel any difference in pedal inputs resulting in anything more than before.

san
10-18-2018, 08:30 AM
He's working on getting me a dyno plot showing a 4-5hp bump on a bone stock engine. Add headers + intake and ??? 6-7hp???

I can't say that it's the final choke point as I also don't know what's going on in the manifold, but I can say for certain that moving the choke point helps quite a bit. I remember the whole intake on my 95 M3 was 3.0", but swapping the HFM and air filter to 3.5" made a massive difference, even though the rest of it still necked down to the 3.0" before the throttle body. Moving a larger column of air closer to the manifold is always helpful. BTW this one should be slightly larger than the Dinan (9% vs 12% increase in area).

Absolutely. I'm already working on a header project and hoping that a bored throttle body will open things up just a bit more. I'm not expecting more than 5hp. I won't notice it anyway. I didn't notice the claimed 5-10hp difference with underdrive pulleys either, but I know that all of these little modifications to help the engine breathe better will build on eachother as I go. The manufacturer sent me a screenshot of a message from a guy that put one on his 330 and he said that the throttle response was greatly improved. That, I will definitely notice

Ya I’m sure there will be better engine response but I hope there won’t be any loss especially at the top end due to possible reduced velocity. The dyno plots should be interesting...

Newjack
10-18-2018, 09:17 AM
I installed a Dinan throttle body on my ZHP back when it didn't have any power issues and while the difference didn't seem big, I did feel a very slight increase in mid-range "feel", if that makes any sense. Throttle response wasn't really any different; the lag from the drive-by-wire system was still present and didn't feel any difference in pedal inputs resulting in anything more than before.

I drove Rob's ZHP a few years back before it was supercharged with all the Dinan mods on it. For the amount he paid for the stuff I really couldn't notice any difference in power between my stock ZHP. I agree with Rob, even with a supercharger I don't think a throttle body is going to add much if anything noticeable. Headers are the real choke point.

I do vividly remember driving the car after using the power pulleys and remember a noticeable difference. The car felt way more ready and eager to rev and did feel a little bit quicker. I noticed more from the pulleys than I did from the shark injector tune.

Sockethead
10-18-2018, 10:34 AM
The headers made the biggest, most noticeable difference when my car was NA. I'm talking like the difference you get by going to a 3.46 in the rear.
I think it let all the other mods finally breathe

TLL0003
10-18-2018, 10:58 AM
I have all the Dinan mods including the throttle body, and honestly I don’t see a huge improvement except it sounds really good and slightly better throttle response

Sockethead
10-18-2018, 12:44 PM
I have all the Dinan mods including the throttle body, and honestly I don’t see a huge improvement except it sounds really good and slightly better throttle response

Same here... until I put the headers on

ZHPizza
10-19-2018, 05:54 AM
The headers made the biggest, most noticeable difference when my car was NA. I'm talking like the difference you get by going to a 3.46 in the rear.
I think it let all the other mods finally breathe

That's what I figured. I still want to do the big bore tb and play with some more intake configurations, but this has me thinking I'll wait until after headers are done since the effects will be more noticeable without the massive bottleneck on the exhaust side. The only thing I noticed after my DIY long tube intake was better sound and gas mileage.

BADCLOWN
10-19-2018, 07:02 AM
I like the Garbino CF lip mentioned in another persons build thread. But apparently it was ordered from Japan

ZHPizza
10-19-2018, 01:08 PM
lol as sad as it is this is all that I could put together on the 72mm throttle body:

a customer review for an e46 330:

a customer review for an e36 328 (different engine obviously, but M52/M54 are pretty dang similar):

And the moment we've all been waiting for...the stock e46 330 dyno plot:

lol I know, right? He reached out to the customer and the guy said he had lost the paper and that was the only pic he took of it. It's weak, I know, but I really like the bump in torque throughout the curve and I think if I squint I can see the 5hp in the upper rpm range.

stephenkirsh
10-21-2018, 09:12 AM
I think the GB thread has been derailed.

Newjack
10-21-2018, 01:31 PM
I think the GB thread has been derailed.We're group buying into this conversation that a bigger throttle body won't do much.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

FungShui
01-26-2019, 12:58 AM
Bump for the Garbino lip.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190126/c2bc2e552999756e1aeb482f0478eefd.jpg

Sockethead
01-26-2019, 10:34 AM
Several group buys going on at Apex right now...

ZHP_Brandon
09-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Any new found interest in a GruppeM intake?
Might’ve found a blower set up for my car so...... I need this lol

JPMo
09-25-2019, 02:19 PM
Any new found interest in a GruppeM intake?
Might’ve found a blower set up for my car so...... I need this lol

In!

ZHP_Brandon
09-25-2019, 04:17 PM
In!

Sweet so that makes 3 of us, I’ll check the old GruppeM thread to see how many needed to be in the group buy and try to do some foot work

FungShui
08-20-2020, 09:30 PM
Anybody interested in a group buy on the GAS coolant caps?

ZHPizza
08-21-2020, 06:52 AM
Anybody interested in a group buy on the GAS coolant caps?

I just use these 1.4 bar caps on my e46's

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-expansion-tank-cap-14-bar-oem-17111742232

BADCLOWN
08-21-2020, 07:06 AM
I worked with GAS a few years ago on a group buy for those and their DISA kits, went suprisingly well and they loved working with us

Galapolis
08-21-2020, 07:25 AM

But what about the bling and bragging rights

t.er
08-21-2020, 07:48 AM
But what about the bling and bragging rightsIn addition to that let's get a group buy on for ECS Tuning oil filter cap, dipstick, and try to find someone who has an aluminium oil fill cap. CNC all the things

ZHPizza
08-21-2020, 08:17 AM
In addition to that let's get a group buy on for ECS Tuning oil filter cap, dipstick, and try to find someone who has an aluminium oil fill cap. CNC all the thingsAdds weight to the front end [emoji3525]

johnrando
08-21-2020, 09:12 AM
In addition to that let's get a group buy on for ECS Tuning oil filter cap, dipstick, and try to find someone who has an aluminium oil fill cap. CNC all the thingsI'd be up for that.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

stephenkirsh
08-24-2020, 09:41 AM

+1 here

BADCLOWN
02-21-2021, 07:35 PM
Would anyone else be interested in a GB on this lip?

I contacted the seller and they may be able to get us wholesale cost (don’t know what that is yet) depending on how many people want it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-Series-99-06-E46-M-Tech-Only-HM-Style-Carbon-Fiber-Front-Bumper-Lip-/164016097354?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

BADCLOWN
02-23-2021, 08:50 AM
Anybody out there?

BMWCurves
02-23-2021, 09:13 AM
I'd be all about it, but at the rate I'm going with how often I scratch the underside of my bumper in my city, it'd be carbon dust in about 6 months.

fredo
02-23-2021, 09:14 AM
I will pass.

cakM3
02-23-2021, 09:27 AM
Would anyone else be interested in a GB on this lip?

I contacted the seller and they may be able to get us wholesale cost (don’t know what that is yet) depending on how many people want it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-Series-99-06-E46-M-Tech-Only-HM-Style-Carbon-Fiber-Front-Bumper-Lip-/164016097354?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I might be interested because carbon fiber :drevil

I would like to know what the GB price will be before making my decision...

johnrando
02-24-2021, 09:42 AM
Looks great but my car is so slow I hit a small clear plastic cup, lol. I'll pass.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

cakM3
02-24-2021, 06:25 PM
Looks great but my car is so low I hit a small clear plastic cup, lol. I'll pass.

My M3 is low and I won't drive in fear of being low... the blauzed will be just as low and I will eventually have OEM Performance splitters on it but will still drive low because these cars look amazing like this :cool

I'm still thinking of getting this depending on price and if I do get this will run with this part until I repaint my ZHP...

cakM3
02-24-2021, 07:52 PM

Stuart sourced an authentic Garbino Lip for his wagon and paid a lot of money (over a thousand dollars iirc) to buy then ship from Japan. The original item is beautifully produced and is something I myself would be afraid to use considering the expense of the lip spoiler and the poor quality roads here in New England... good luck finding a garbino lip these days. I just tried using google to see if I could find any for sale and the search came up empty... Garbino makes lip spoilers for Mini Coopers but I did not see any for an E46 BMW.