PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearing -> popping noise

nsk040
10-04-2018, 10:56 AM
On a fully refreshed suspension, I'm getting an occasional pop/clink (not sure how best to describe the noise) from the front left. This is usually at parking lot speeds over undulations or turning into/out of garage ramps. The noise doesn't seem to happen going over speed bumps.

No drone, vibration, etc. at any speed can be heard (i.e. standard wheel bearing symptoms), but as everything else has been refreshed (and torqued properly) I was curious if others have heard of wheel bearings causing an occasional popping noise?

Newjack
10-04-2018, 11:09 AM
On a fully refreshed suspension, I'm getting an occasional pop/clink (not sure how best to describe the noise) from the front left. This is usually at parking lot speeds over undulations or turning into/out of garage ramps. The noise doesn't seem to happen going over speed bumps.

No drone, vibration, etc. at any speed can be heard (i.e. standard wheel bearing symptoms), but as everything else has been refreshed (and torqued properly) I was curious if others have heard of wheel bearings causing an occasional popping noise?

Wheel bearings make a kind of wispy noise when they start to go. Like a bad wheel on a skateboard. When they die completely they seize up since their isn't enough lubricant inside the bearing to keep it spinning smoothly. With that being said I don't think your issue is a wheel bearing issue.

I'm not a suspension expert, but if you did do the rear suspension it could be the rear spring rotating on the perch a bit. I think I remember this happening to me for a little when I did the suspension on the ZHP. If this is the cause for the noise it should go away after a bit of driving.

nsk040
10-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Noise is 100% coming from the front. Obviously the noise is not the typical sign of a bad wheel bearing, but as pretty much all other potential sources of the noise have been addressed I'm having to think more creatively.

Newjack
10-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Going over bumps means both struts are reacting at the same time. Going over undulations would mean one strut then the other, maybe sway bar related?

Are your end links connected properly? Everything tight?

holyc0w
10-04-2018, 03:00 PM
It would be worth a try to see if the end-links are tightened.

nsk040
10-05-2018, 05:10 AM
End links are new and tight.