PDA

View Full Version : WTB Stett or Mishimoto Upper/Lower intake boot kit

DatZHP
11-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Hey guys,

So i recently became a member of the zhp family officially last month, bought myself a 05 330Ci 6MT. :D
Got my inspection done about 2 weeks ago, and a couple days ago the Ses comes on and turns out its the boot. Im most likely going to temporarily tape it up since emissions is coming up. But i wanted to switch over to the silicone boots since they should last longer than the oem ones. Only issue is that i cant find them anywhere, can someone point me in the direction that i would be able to order a set. Ive found a couple outside the country. Lol. But they cant deliver to the US it says on the sites.

Much appreciate any help. Thanks

P.S. im not sure which is really better, the stett kit or the mishi; Ive read stories about not being able to seat the mishi kit properly. Any suggestions?

Vas
11-19-2018, 06:38 PM
Not worth the extra cost and the fitment is not 100% smooth.

Save your money and get factory rubber boots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

az3579
11-20-2018, 05:51 AM
Buy OE or OEM boots from FCP and never have to buy them again. And way cheaper than the silicone boots, which tend to have fitment issues.
I've had the Stett ones and HATED them. They made it such a PITA to install my intake every time I had to remove it.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-air-flow-meter-boot-13541438761
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-air-flow-meter-boot-genuine-13541438759

johnrando
11-20-2018, 08:23 PM
I hv the Stett and they are perfectly fine. A bit of cutting/cajoling upon initial install and you get there. Definitely a bit of a PITA at first. BUT, once they've heat cycled they are way more flexible and easy to work with. They are solid. But, the FCP Euro is a great idea.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cakM3
11-21-2018, 01:42 PM
I have a few Stett intake boots sitting in my garage. If you're still looking for a set send me a PM and we can talk about you getting a set. I am on vacation to Colorado over the Thanksgiving holiday so I won't be able to do anything until after that...

sillieidiot
11-25-2018, 08:56 PM
I have a brand new set of Mishimoto ones I could sell you. I also will have a set of used ones for sale sometime in the future. They are both black. PM me if interested.

DatZHP
11-27-2018, 11:06 AM
So i have an OEM one coming from ECS. However, i am still looking to dabble with the Stett or Mishi set. I havent seen much as far as which set was better for people. Which would you guys recommend out of previous experiences or people you may know with the kits. Id like to hear what you guys have to say before I go for a kit.

Also, @johnrando I was thinking of cutting them to get their better fit already, judging by the pictures, the silicon kits are nowhere near a plug and play status like the OEM ones. Any specific steps/cuts you made on the kit for them to fit better? If you have a set of instructions you followed before the fit, id appreciate if you have a link to that. other than that, ill probably just try to get them to resemble the oem shape for the better fit.

Thanks in advanced guys, ill be PM'ing some of you soon. :thumbup

johnrando
11-27-2018, 07:11 PM
I literally just put them on and saw what fit best, and cut from there. I also used the OEM as guide.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DatZHP
11-28-2018, 07:41 AM
I literally just put them on and saw what fit best, and cut from there. I also used the OEM as guide.

Everything you said was literally how i pictured doing this in my mind before i even started looking for them. What did you end up using to cut them? Also, thanks for the response.

johnrando
11-28-2018, 07:52 AM
Everything you said was literally how i pictured doing this in my mind before i even started looking for them. What did you end up using to cut them? Also, thanks for the response.

YW. Yup, pretty straightforward. I just used a very sharp exacto knife. It cuts fairly easily for being such a strong hose material.

danewilson77
11-28-2018, 09:39 AM
YW. Yup, pretty straightforward. I just used a very sharp exacto knife. It cuts fairly easily for being such a strong hose material.This

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
11-28-2018, 10:50 PM
So i have an OEM one coming from ECS. However, i am still looking to dabble with the Stett or Mishi set. I havent seen much as far as which set was better for people. Which would you guys recommend out of previous experiences or people you may know with the kits. Id like to hear what you guys have to say before I go for a kit.

Also, @johnrando I was thinking of cutting them to get their better fit already, judging by the pictures, the silicon kits are nowhere near a plug and play status like the OEM ones. Any specific steps/cuts you made on the kit for them to fit better? If you have a set of instructions you followed before the fit, id appreciate if you have a link to that. other than that, ill probably just try to get them to resemble the oem shape for the better fit.

Thanks in advanced guys, ill be PM'ing some of you soon. :thumbup

Having had both. The Stett ones are thicker than the Mishimotos. However, the Mishimotos have a smoother/cleaner interior. I would think it's better for airflow. I ended up selling the Stett to a friend in need like I do all my other parts lol Both require cutting though. I cut a ton on my Mishimotos. Razor blade works. I have pictures of how much I cut in my build thread somewhere.

Sockethead
11-29-2018, 09:25 AM
Just use a brand new razor blade and it will cut like butter. You can use a couple of hose clamps as a strait edge so your cut isn’t all wavy.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181129/70ba1935699d7f46bd4b2cf2d1957568.jpg

danewilson77
11-29-2018, 06:02 PM
Just use a brand new razor blade and it will cut like butter. You can use a couple of hose clamps as a strait edge so your cut isn’t all wavy.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181129/70ba1935699d7f46bd4b2cf2d1957568.jpgOCD got me like....

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
11-29-2018, 07:31 PM
lol that's exactly what I did too

cakM3
12-03-2018, 04:02 PM
One set never used black Stett intake boots on their way... [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk Pro

Sockethead
12-03-2018, 05:06 PM
I'm glad you found a home for them Charlie

cakM3
12-03-2018, 07:21 PM
I'm glad you found a home for them Charlie

Thanks for the heads up on this thread Rob! :thumbsup I have not been on here too much lately....

DatZHP
12-04-2018, 07:01 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181129/70ba1935699d7f46bd4b2cf2d1957568.jpg

Oh man, I didnt think of doing that, the non straight, jagged edges was a concern in the back of my mind, it also probably wouldve set off my ocd. This tip should come in hand now. Thanks!! :D