slater
11-21-2018, 09:21 AM
SPECS
year: 2009 (5/4/09 build date)
model: 335i M Sport
trans: 6MT
drive: RWD
color: alpine weiss mit schwarz leder
mileage at purchase: 73K KM (~45K miles)
current mileage (11/21/18): 78K KM (5K KM in the first month!)
spec: 1/10 for canada

WTF?!
let me get one thing straight: this thing is Not A Project car. which... despite the crazy 'tuner' appeal of this car, especially in this spec... it's going to stay pretty much stock.

i needed a calm, sedate car for my increased long commutes... and something my wife wouldn't hate (this aspect alone has a lot of depth to it). i hate turbocharged cars. i don't like automatics. and i don't like AWD very much. yet, for some reason, i was drawn to a 2011 335ix M Sport steptronic that was for sale at a local GM dealership. it only had 85K KMs on it, and was a 1-owner car. it was super clean... i actually really liked it. enough to negotiate with them and come to an agreement. and while the steptronic was awesome with the paddles (and the option of aftermarket software enhancements), the E90 xi front suspension really sucks - it has limited damper travel, and was constantly crashing over bumps. i actually drove another low-mileage 335xi to confirm it's the design and not the individual car.

so that naturally led me to find a RWD one... and while i hate turbos, the N55 (2011) is a twin-scroll, single-turbo engine that has almost zero lag. it's pretty darn quick in stock form. but i couldn't find a RWD 2011 model, so i elected to check out a 2009 335i RWD 6MT that was a 2-owner car (last owner had it since 2011), with only 73K KMs (45K miles!!). it already had the HPFP replaced, water pump replaced, and some other good maintenance. it came with a new set of firestone firehawk indy 500's, and a separate set of winter wheels with almost-new blizzaks. and it was cleeeeeean (look at the engine bay pic - that is a stock 45K mile canadian engine bay, never been cleaned - WTF? it even smells like a new car). before i even left the parking lot with this thing, i knew it was the right choice.

THE RESTRAINED PATH
so...... i hate turbos. and here i am with a stupid twin-turbo engine'd car. it makes 300hp and 300ft-lbs of torque and can be knocking on 400hp with, um, very little effort (software flash and bigger intake plumbing). BUT... i'm going to keep it stock. any maintenance or mods will be for reliability, efficiency, safety, comfort, or utility.

and i've modded it already: i installed some retractable grocery bag hooks in the trunk (utility) that i had in my ZHP sedan. ;) and i put on some 10mm/12.5mm (F/R) spacers (safety). other than that, i replaced a dead windshield washer pump (maintenance).

and i will mod it further: i'm retrofitting OEM lumbar support into the seats (comfort). ;)

IMPRESSIONS/COMPARISONS
i should discuss the E46 vs E90 differences, from my point of view:

- ergonomics: E46 wins here. with M3 seats (lower) in the Touring, i am more comfortable in the E46. which sucks. that said, i do not have lumbar in the E90 sport seats yet, so i am looking forward to installing that. and if they still aren't working, then maybe some E90 M3 seats. but i'm nitpicking (as i do, LOL).... the E90 sport seats are actually more padded than the E46 and feel more 'plush' if you want to call it that.

- build quality: E46 doors close nicer, but E90 feels really well-put together.... although quality of materials isn't as nice on some things. i can live with it.

- motor: M54B30 ZHP is a honey of an engine. the N54 is super smooth... and makes stupid power even in stock form. tons of torque down low. my only gripe is the lack of engine braking... but again, nitpicking. it delivers 30mpg on the highway, is super smooth and makes great power, with almost no lag.

- trans: E90 M Sport is really nice. they really did a nice job with the stock shifter - super smooth, but almost no slop; the knob is quite low, but i may extend this to be a bit higher. definitely better than the E46 here.

- braking: both ZHP and 335i deliver stellar braking performance.

- suspension: the E90 M Sport suspension is exactly how i wanted the ZHP to feel stock - good damping (not GREAT damping, but a set of dialed-in koni yellows would help a lot), good spring rate, VERY rigid chassis, and very little body roll - way less than the ZHP. the rear end feels kinda squirmy under load, but i'm pushing a LOT more power through it than i ever felt in the ZHP. so subframe lockdown and strategic bushing upgrades would help a lot here. if feels very, very composed.

- steering: E90 wins here, hands-down. wonderful linearity and a nice heavy (read: positive) feel.

- lighting: E90 stock xenons are great. as good as the TRS EvoX kit i've got in the Touring.

- tech: i think it may be a toss-up.... i like simple, and i like the old-school key-in-the-ignition system in the E46. as for the E90...my car is a non-iDrive car, so i just have basic audio and hands-free BT calling. it's simple and sufficient. the trip computer is superior in the E90, always showing temp and time in the top part of the cluster, and you can then cycle through the other metrics. the lighting is cool with the under-door lighting and the lighting in the door handles - and everything is LED. triple-blink is stock, and the blinkers never fully engage... you just press them up/down one 'click' and they turn on. weird, and still getting used to it.

- interior: i actually prefer the cupholders in the E90 - i don't like them getting in the way of the shifter. i like the E46 dash and cluster design way better. the M Sport steering wheel in the E90 is actually a bit smaller than the E46 M Sport wheel, which is subtle, and nice.

CLOSING THOUGHTS
and that's it for now. i'm actually really pleased with the car in stock form - it could stand some improvements in a few areas (dampers, rear subframe bushings), but it's damn good for a stock car. i hope nate will give his impressions - he drove it a couple weeks ago when he was up here for work.

and now for some crappy iPhone pics! i actually really like the stock wheels (193M), but i also really like the apex EC-7 on this body style. thoughts?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181121/50036b89eb58a616562dcb860e0c0c6e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181121/1e823923797fc5ff5f95e99d025e14d7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181121/64b616568ad511ffcbdd2fc49d4245cc.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181121/18ee694422ab6d2a9e7635e2814c4b29.jpg

EDIT: added some more info... :)

BMWCurves
11-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Well, you've successfully owned the three colors of many national flags (red, white, and blue)

san
11-21-2018, 09:46 AM
I’ve always liked the e90 MSport...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredo
11-21-2018, 09:50 AM
Looks good ! We need moar details. :roundel

Sockethead
11-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Great choice... not modding that is going to drive you crazy :)

ZHPizza
11-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Hell yes. I was actually going to start a not-a-project thread on this for you today, but look at you, doing it on your own. Big boy!

I'll start with my thoughts: I got to drive this thing a few weeks ago when I was up north hangin with the Peterman. The twin turbos feel more like a supercharger: smooth, linear power throughout with no hesitation at low rpms. Apparently it falls off after 5k rpm but I never got over 5k because I was going too fast already and didn't want the mounties to catch me. It is a well mannered torque monster and I love it.

That engine had me sitting up late in my hotel browsing Autotrader for a 335is even though I still don't like the way the e9x look. I'm hoping that their styling grows on me like the e46 so that I can have a Bavarian turbosled one day.

slater
11-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Well, you've successfully owned the three colors of many national flags (red, white, and blue)

LOL. i never thought of that. you always have unique insight.

just added a ton of content to the first post!

Sockethead
11-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Hell yes. I was actually going to start a not-a-project thread on this for you today, but look at you, doing it on your own. Big boy!

I'll start with my thoughts: I got to drive this thing a few weeks ago when I was up north hangin with the Peterman. The twin turbos feel more like a supercharger: smooth, linear power throughout with no hesitation at low rpms. Apparently it falls off after 5k rpm but I never got over 5k because I was going too fast already and didn't want the mounties to catch me. It is a well mannered torque monster and I love it.

That engine had me sitting up late in my hotel browsing Autotrader for a 335is even though I still don't like the way the e9x look. I'm hoping that their styling grows on me like the e46 so that I can have a Bavarian turbosled one day.

N54 is over built too, can take up to around 600 hp I've heard. Easiest mod is a JB4, lots more HP in 20 minutes

slater
11-21-2018, 10:47 AM
I’ve always liked the e90 MSport...

yeah, the bumpers are nice!

Looks good ! We need moar details. :roundel

details added. :)

Great choice... not modding that is going to drive you crazy :)

haha!! see the details i added above. great minds.... ;)

LOL, i actually put "i hope nate chimes in" in the first post, which i wrote while you posted this, ha!

slater
11-21-2018, 10:48 AM
N54 is over built too, can take up to around 600 hp I've heard. Easiest mod is a JB4, lots more HP in 20 minutes

i think the JB+ is good for 40-60hp and installs in about 2min. but................ no modding. ;)

johnrando
11-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Good stuff!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sockethead
11-21-2018, 11:20 AM
i think the JB+ is good for 40-60hp and installs in about 2min. but................ no modding. ;)

After reading what you added to your first post, I can tell you that when you add more HP to this motor, you also add turbo lag and it will have a pretty hard hit when the turbos kick in.

Things/history to check with this motor: HP fuel pump recall, Water pump, injectors, waste gate rattle and the usual oil leaks. also, You might want to consider walnut blasting the intake ports sometime in the future... regular maintenance on this motor and not too terribly expensive depending on where you go. Other than that, I think the motor is pretty solid regardless of what might be out there on the internet

cornercarver
11-21-2018, 11:24 AM
- steering: E90 wins here, hands-down. wonderful linearity and a nice heavy (read: positive) feel.
Interesting. I heard just the opposite from friends and others. (Especially for the ZHP.)

Congrats on the purchase. I've always liked the 335, and would probably buy one if someone told me it was better all-round than a ZHP. The power is definitely an advantage, but I thought the ZHP was better in the corners.

Mind if I ask what you paid?

JPMo
11-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Before I found the ZHP, I REALLY wanted one of these or even a 328i M Sport but prices were too high and I didn’t want to deal with turbo maintenance. I love the E90 generation of 3 series. Looking forward to the future updates!

Sockethead
11-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Interesting. I heard just the opposite from friends and others. (Especially for the ZHP.)

Congrats on the purchase. I've always liked the 335, and would probably buy one if someone told me it was better all-round than a ZHP. The power is definitely an advantage, but I thought the ZHP was better in the corners.

It's an M-sport. I think the steering is different on those. Our X1 M-sport (based on the e90 chassis) had great steering characteristics like Peter describes

slater
11-21-2018, 11:41 AM
After reading what you added to your first post, I can tell you that when you add more HP to this motor, you also add turbo lag and it will have a pretty hard hit when the turbos kick in.

Things/history to check with this motor: HP fuel pump recall, Water pump, injectors, waste gate rattle and the usual oil leaks. also, You might want to consider walnut blasting the intake ports sometime in the future... regular maintenance on this motor and not too terribly expensive depending on where you go. Other than that, I think the motor is pretty solid regardless of what might be out there on the internet

yeah, that's what i'm reading. this is one is so low-mileage, and 100% maintained and unmolested - exactly what i wanted.

HPFP recall was done, water pump was done. plugs done recently. as for intake ports - i saw a nice DIY using CRC valve cleaner that i would do before walnut blasting - the guy spent $30, 3hrs of time and the results were amazing.

i'm doing some reliability stuff soon: well-baffled (42draftdesigns) oil catch can (this alleviates the need for walnut blasting), metal charge pipe (stock plastic one leaks), upgraded PCV valve. high-flow inlets actually help reduce strain on the turbos, so i will probably do that down the road. ceratec treatment on the next oil change too.

Mind if I ask what you paid?

i hate divulging what i paid, but i got a really good deal - i think it was meant to be!

i LOVE the ZHP - don't get me wrong. this move was more lateral, not upward - and it was not because i don't like the ZHP. i would love to have another someday - maybe a 'vert!

i forgot to mention about the suspension in my first post - i will edit it later, but i found that the E90 M Sport suspension is exactly how i wanted the ZHP to feel stock - good damping (not GREAT damping, but a set of dialed-in koni yellows would help a lot), good spring rate, VERY rigid chassis, and very little body roll - way less than the ZHP. the rear end feels kinda squirmy under load, but i'm pushing a LOT more power through it than i ever felt in the ZHP. so subframe lockdown and strategic bushing upgrades would help a lot here. if feels very, very composed.

Before I found the ZHP, I REALLY wanted one of these or even a 328i M Sport but prices were too high and I didn’t want to deal with turbo maintenance. I love the E90 generation of 3 series. Looking forward to the future updates!

yeah, i would have preferred a 328i M Sport, but they are nearly impossible to find in sedan form (coupes seem more plentiful).

It's an M-sport. I think the steering is different on those. Our X1 M-sport (based on the e90 chassis) had great steering characteristics like Peter describes

i agree - i think the M Sport steering is different. still learning. but it feels great.

slater
11-21-2018, 11:46 AM
i cleaned up the first post and added some more details. frig.

Sockethead
11-21-2018, 12:14 PM
We used the Burger Tuning catch can kit on the 135 (same one as the 335) and were very happy with it. Comes with everything you need for an OEM looking installation.

slater
11-21-2018, 01:15 PM
We used the Burger Tuning catch can kit on the 135 (same one as the 335) and were very happy with it. Comes with everything you need for an OEM looking installation.

thanks for the feedback! i'm not super interested in the design as i have a SWEET 42draftdesigns can here that is larger and has superior baffling, adjustability, and a dipstick. installation may be a bit tricky due to size.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/ultimate-oil-catch-can/

Newjack
11-21-2018, 01:31 PM
so...... i hate turbos. and here i am with a stupid twin-turbo engine'd car.

ELCID86
11-21-2018, 01:59 PM
You had me at “something my wife wouldn’t hate...”! :-) congratulations.

slater
11-21-2018, 06:57 PM
You had me at “something my wife wouldn’t hate...”! :-) congratulations.

[emoji4]

RUS_ZHP
11-22-2018, 07:14 AM
Now I see why touring is for sale. Congrats Peter on new daily! White e90 is a sweet looking car, especially with m-sport bumpers. I like factory wheels and would keep them. Are they significantly heavier than APEX ones?
Somebody had mentioned typical oil leaks. Do the have the same gaskets problems as e46? if that is the case, I cannot believe BMW did not sort that out.
I have a little experience with e90. I drove a 2007 335i ones from Boston to Florida and was amazed how that car performed as a highway cruiser. I drove it on terrible run flats, but even with them car felt great.
With new e90 on your driveway, what is the future of X3? Is that your wife's car and you planning to keep it or we should expect another surprise soon?
I am will be waiting for some interior pictures and more updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

az3579
11-22-2018, 07:56 AM
Now I see why touring is for sale.

This is definitely not why the touring is for sale. :(

RUS_ZHP
11-22-2018, 08:13 AM
This is definitely not why the touring is for sale. :(Well, it's at least a part of it. I thinking he mentioned that he has so many cars and very little time for car projects. Touring was a big project.
Let's see what Peter has to say.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

slater
11-22-2018, 08:49 AM
Now I see why touring is for sale. Congrats Peter on new daily! White e90 is a sweet looking car, especially with m-sport bumpers. I like factory wheels and would keep them. Are they significantly heavier than APEX ones?
Somebody had mentioned typical oil leaks. Do the have the same gaskets problems as e46? if that is the case, I cannot believe BMW did not sort that out.
I have a little experience with e90. I drove a 2007 335i ones from Boston to Florida and was amazed how that car performed as a highway cruiser. I drove it on terrible run flats, but even with them car felt great.
With new e90 on your driveway, what is the future of X3? Is that your wife's car and you planning to keep it or we should expect another surprise soon?
I am will be waiting for some interior pictures and more updates.

the wheels are definitely heavier than the apex ARC-8s... about 6lbs per wheel heavier!! that is the main motivation i would want some lighter wheels - i can feel the difference more in the suspension reaction than in accel/decel differences. so i am heavily considering a set...

as far as oil leaks - less, the OFHG can leak, oil pan gasket, and valve cover. all the same leaks as the E46. :) but totally manageable.

as for the X3 - it just got some suspension refreshing, and it doesn't have any glaring issues at the moment, so my wife will keep driving it. considering we're looking at moving in the summer to a more urban area, i likely won't be replacing it, as it's pretty reliable and cheap to own.

This is definitely not why the touring is for sale. :(

Well, it's at least a part of it. I thinking he mentioned that he has so many cars and very little time for car projects. Touring was a big project.
Let's see what Peter has to say.

it was a lot of reasons.... none of them had to do with too many cars, but it was primarily an emotional decision. lots of strife with my wife over this car... and given my current situation, that's just not worth it. had it not been for that, i would 100% be keeping it. and while it's only a car... i can't help but feel a little bit of loss here.

and on that note... i am thankful for my wife and kids, and to be alive and breathing. happy 'murican thanksgiving everyone! :)

holyc0w
11-22-2018, 04:49 PM
and on that note... i am thankful for my wife and kids, and to be alive and breathing. happy 'murican thanksgiving everyone! :)

Thank you sir. Happy moose day to you! :cheers

704sw
11-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Wow, not sure how I missed this! I really need to get on the website via computer more often instead of Tapatalk.

Congrats, Peterman. The E9x is the last of the 3 Series to really strike my fancy. I looked at them off and on before the ZHP; I wanted an '06 330i 6MT with the N52B30 (I was new to wrenching so the N54 scared me) but I just couldn't get down the the Pre-LCI mustache. Of course now that I'm comfortable wrenching I would buy an E91 335 RWD/6MT in a heartbeat if BMW had offered us one...

Not getting iDrive was definitely the right choice; whenever I drive my dad's '07 5er I'm immediately reminded how worthless outdated tech really is. It's actually one of things I find so appealing about the E46 and older.

I know they're heavier than what you're used to, but those Style 193s look really sharp against Alpinweiß.

DeathTrap
11-23-2018, 03:05 PM
Ohhhh an E90 thread. Subbed to see how many mods this car gets :mwah

slater
11-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Wow, not sure how I missed this! I really need to get on the website via computer more often instead of Tapatalk.

Congrats, Peterman. The E9x is the last of the 3 Series to really strike my fancy. I looked at them off and on before the ZHP; I wanted an '06 330i 6MT with the N52B30 (I was new to wrenching so the N54 scared me) but I just couldn't get down the the Pre-LCI mustache. Of course now that I'm comfortable wrenching I would buy an E91 335 RWD/6MT in a heartbeat if BMW had offered us one...

Not getting iDrive was definitely the right choice; whenever I drive my dad's '07 5er I'm immediately reminded how worthless outdated tech really is. It's actually one of things I find so appealing about the E46 and older.

I know they're heavier than what you're used to, but those Style 193s look really sharp against Alpinweiß.

thanks spenser!

yes, the LCI updates really make this car much better looking. the E46 definitely has the edge in the looks department, however in M Sport guise these things have a bit of a mean look to them.

and YES to the E91 335i RWD/6MT! after getting used to this thing, having one in Touring form would be killer. i can import one to canada in..... 8 years, LOL (i'd want a 2011 with the N55).

no iDrive was just fortunate - this car just happened to not have it, plus be super low-KM and have everything else i wanted. i didn't really care for it in the 2011 335xi's that i drove; the NAV was OK, but a bit cumbersome. so i'm happy to not have it, and it's a lot cleaner inside... i'll post some pics. it's basically like an 'E90 ZHP' inside, with silver textured aluminum trim, anthracite headliner, M Sport wheel and shift knob, etc.

yeah, the 193Ms do look nice on there. i'm going to keep them until these tires are dead (they only have about 4K KMs on them.... so it'll be 2-3 years), then likely ditch them for some lightweight wheels (thinking 18x9/18x9.5 apex EC-7's with 235/40/18 and 265/35/18 rubber).

Ohhhh an E90 thread. Subbed to see how many mods this car gets :mwah

LOL. it's going to be an exercise in restraint. i have a few that i want to do, but they are pretty tame:

- power lumbar retrofit
- koni yellows (the stock shocks only have 45K miles on them, and while they have decent compression, they are definitely lacking in rebound)
- helical LSD (likely a wavetrac from diffsonline)
- rear subframe mount inserts

that's it. :) the reason for the last two is that this thing in stock form will spin the tires all the way through 2nd gear if you want, and is a bit twitchy/snappy on oversteer (eLSD isn't awesome), and i would like to be able to put the stock power down predictably. the konis will help generate more grip too.

slater
12-06-2018, 06:34 PM
Well.... hopefully this is not a sign of typical 335i ownership.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181207/c86b5befbd676ad155f751a7b69177e9.jpg

RUS_ZHP
12-06-2018, 07:30 PM
What happend? I hope it's something minor

slater
12-06-2018, 08:05 PM
it is minor, just not cheap. :)

the water pump failed. it's electric, and was replaced two years ago - it has maybe 15K on it. crazy!!

a new OEM siemens/VDO pump, a new t-stat (they apparently fail just as often on these cars?), and priority shipping from california to my door ran me about $605 CAD.

one of the rear wheel bearings is also making noise. that's not an expensive part ($50 CAD), but it's a major PITA to replace. i spent 3 evenings replacing one on my black E46 Touring the summer before last... without the proper tools, which is why it took so long. i'm going to buy the right tool for the job this time, which is about $550 CAD.

so that will bring me up over $1200 CAD into this car already, and just for maintenance. at least i'll have a new tool out of it. :)

az3579
12-07-2018, 04:39 AM
Aww man, if you were gonna buy a water pump and thermostat from the US, should've gotten it from FCP! Full refund after buying a replacement once you send the old ones back for the next time it inevitably fails. I can't believe these damn pumps are so expensive.

Sockethead
12-07-2018, 05:18 AM
Water pump is pretty easy to do on that motor.
If the old one was OEM and under 2 yrs with a receipt, you should be able to swap out under warranty.
When the water pump went in the 135, luckily Kristen was able to limp it home without overheating.

slater
12-07-2018, 06:58 AM
Aww man, if you were gonna buy a water pump and thermostat from the US, should've gotten it from FCP! Full refund after buying a replacement once you send the old ones back for the next time it inevitably fails. I can't believe these damn pumps are so expensive.

yeah, they are ridiculously expensive.

i wanted to buy through FCP but their shipping options to canada for quick service is lacking - it was going to be at least a week, if not longer. i guess i should have, and just waited.... but i need to get this thing back up and running ASAP. the new pump should be here for monday.

Water pump is pretty easy to do on that motor.
If the old one was OEM and under 2 yrs with a receipt, you should be able to swap out under warranty.
When the water pump went in the 135, luckily Kristen was able to limp it home without overheating.

yeah, i was 30min away, with my wife in the car. called CAA, tow truck arrived in 20min. :)

the PO told me it was done but i don't have any receipts - i've reached out to him regardless, but not expecting anything. curious to see if the dead one is OEM and what the date is on it. replacing the thermostat at the same time.

d-rod
12-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Nice ride, sorry it’s giving you trouble already.
I had one and loved it, should have kept it but sold it shortly after the extended warranty expired. Went through a couple sets of wheels but really like the original design.
This is what she looked liked:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181207/3e505ff226cfd25762760c6021f64221.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181207/abf2601edcd851fb6fba5371e17f0246.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181207/00716a375624eb31b1436ea8575d6be8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181207/983ebf2a4bf3502243d66bf58b4df92d.jpg

DeathTrap
12-07-2018, 12:43 PM
That's scary...I really don't like the lack of a temp gauge on these cars.

What kind of error did you get?

Vas
12-07-2018, 01:19 PM
I had one and loved it, should have kept it but sold it shortly after the extended warranty expired. Went through a couple sets of wheels but really like the original design.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181207/3e505ff226cfd25762760c6021f64221.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181207/abf2601edcd851fb6fba5371e17f0246.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181207/00716a375624eb31b1436ea8575d6be8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181207/983ebf2a4bf3502243d66bf58b4df92d.jpg

Nice example.

slater
12-07-2018, 08:40 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181207/3e505ff226cfd25762760c6021f64221.jpg

Nice, I like those wheels in the first pic!

slater
12-07-2018, 08:44 PM
That's scary...I really don't like the lack of a temp gauge on these cars.

What kind of error did you get?

No error, just the orange coolant warning light followed by the red coolant warning light approximately 2 seconds later, LOL. Not exactly enough time to pull over and shut it down.

I am now considering one of those P3 digital gauges for the left vent, so I can monitor coolant temp.... but they are $400. I wish I could put coolant temp on rotation in the OBC... From what I have read that’s not possible. Bummer.

RUS_ZHP
12-08-2018, 05:37 AM
Damn! That quite pricy water pump repair.
So, it's going to be 3rd water pump for this car?
If that is the case, why there is so much noise online about e46 pumps? I changed mine at 160k miles. I did it as preventative maintenance and when I removed the pump, it had very very small play in the shaft.

az3579
12-08-2018, 06:20 AM
If that is the case, why there is so much noise online about e46 pumps?

E46 pumps I don't think really fail that often. I think the 'noise' was more attributed to the shitty impeller designs they had when they were new. Now, the impellers are composite, so they shouldn't have the impeller issues the plastic ones had nor the bearing issues the metal ones had. I'd say the composite ones are pretty solid.

RUS_ZHP
12-08-2018, 06:26 AM
That is the explanation. I was under the impression that there is paranoia about BMW water pumps.
Botond, how many pumps did you change?

Sockethead
12-08-2018, 07:48 AM
Peter, I have a P3 vent gauge for boost... I don't like it. Not only is it hard to look left and down to see the gauge, at night the gauge reflects in the drivers side window right where the mirror is. It's really annoying. I wish it was in the center vent.

fredo
12-08-2018, 08:54 AM
I believe these codes show before the water pump fails. They don't trigger the SES warning. You need a scanner that can read BMW codes:

2E81 electric waster pump, engine speed variance
2E82 electric water pump shutdown overcurrent.

ZHPizza
12-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Dang, Peterman! This is not a good start for your e90 relationship. Fingers crossed it's the only hiccup in an otherwise solid car.

Peter, I have a P3 vent gauge for boost... I don't like it. Not only is it hard to look left and down to see the gauge, at night the gauge reflects in the drivers side window right where the mirror is. It's really annoying. I wish it was in the center vent.The little green light for my auto headlights does this and I can't stand it. Took my months to stop thinking that there was a green light behind me.

az3579
12-08-2018, 09:29 AM
That is the explanation. I was under the impression that there is paranoia about BMW water pumps.
Botond, how many pumps did you change?

I've done a full cooling system refresh twice, once at 89k miles and again at 243k. The only two components that failed in my ownership were a coolant hose (premature failure, didn't have many miles on it when failed) and an expansion tank, though the tank was my fault. I didn't mount the radiator properly and the tank made contact with a pulley/belt, which wore a hole through it. Otherwise, I haven't really had any issues with my cooling system despite the extended replacement intervals.

RUS_ZHP
12-08-2018, 09:48 AM
I've done a full cooling system refresh twice, once at 89k miles and again at 243k. The only two components that failed in my ownership were a coolant hose (premature failure, didn't have many miles on it when failed) and an expansion tank, though the tank was my fault. I didn't mount the radiator properly and the tank made contact with a pulley/belt, which wore a hole through it. Otherwise, I haven't really had any issues with my cooling system despite the extended replacement intervals.That pretty impressive for all that mileage.
Sorry for hacking your tread Peter.

704sw
12-08-2018, 10:10 AM
The little green light for my auto headlights does this and I can't stand it. Took my months to stop thinking that there was a green light behind me.

Dude that green dot annoyed me so much. I took a black sharpie and gave two taps to the green lens—it’s transparent enough to still know the lights are on but opaque enough to not drive me nuts.

ZHPizza
12-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Dude that green dot annoyed me so much. I took a black sharpie and gave two taps to the green lens—it’s transparent enough to still know the lights are on but opaque enough to not drive me nuts.Nice. That's how I used to dim my radar detectors. Good to know it helps.

slater
12-10-2018, 08:03 PM
80,700KM:
New water pump and thermostat installed. Oil change with Ceratec. New air filters installed. Car is running better.

The worst part of the whole job is that I finished installing the new water pump, and went to bleed the system with the E90 coolant system bleed procedure.... and the stupid pump would not activate. I tried with INPA... no dice.

I checked all of the fuses... all good.... except... WTF? The fuse distribution block on top of the battery had a loose plug! And this was for the water pump.......

....which means... yup, you guessed it - my water pump wasn’t actually bad in the first place. This stupid plug came loose while driving, and I was on a particularly bumpy road when the pump ‘died’...

So I plugged it in, and made sure it was clicked in place, and re-tried the bleed procedure, and it worked fine. [emoji4]

So I just spent $700 replacing a perfectly good 2-year old water pump and thermostat. Oh well. At least I found the issue! [emoji2957]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181211/a5bc8d142bc9d6d25a206b148c3473d3.jpg

fredo
12-10-2018, 08:10 PM
Oh, man ! What a surprise. If you decide to sell the 2 year old water pump I may be interested.

holyc0w
12-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Frig

704sw
12-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Frig

Double frig.

I guess you’re starting an E90 parts bin.

slater
12-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Oh, man ! What a surprise. If you decide to sell the 2 year old water pump I may be interested.

fantastic - i have a matching t-stat to go with it, both OEM. a whopping 13K miles on the pair! PM me and we'll get it going.

and yes.... it was definitely a surprise! i had a bit of a forehead-slap moment and then decided to laugh it off... no point in getting mad.

Frig

indeed.

Double frig.

I guess you’re starting an E90 parts bin.

LOL. trying not too! ;)

RUS_ZHP
12-11-2018, 05:13 AM
That is crazy! But the true failure mode was discovered.

san
12-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Not sure if you’re pointing at it or flipping it off or both lol

704sw
12-11-2018, 07:33 AM

Yes.

slater
12-11-2018, 07:53 AM
That is crazy! But the true failure mode was discovered.

yeah, totally crazy! and yes, i'm very glad i found the actual cause. it makes a lot more sense!

LOL. glad you caught the double meaning in that. ;)

Yes.

ha. yep! :)

forgot to mention in my post last night:

- i also removed the CDV. it's way easier on the E90 - the CDV has o-rings on either end along with a quick-release clip (like the ones found on the cooling system hoses); i think it took me longer to get the trans belly pan off (there's a belly pan for the trans!) than to remove the CDV. under 2mins.

- speaking of belly pans... the engine belly pan on the E90 is a well-fitting work of art, but it has 18 (!!) screws that hold it on! crazy. (i think the trans belly pan has about 8 fasteners.)

704sw
12-11-2018, 08:21 AM
- speaking of belly pans... the engine belly pan on the E90 is a well-fitting work of art, but it has 18 (!!) screws that hold it on! crazy. (i think the trans belly pan has about 8 fasteners.)

Doesn’t the E83 have a really nice belly pan too? I’ve only taken it off once, but I remember thinking “wow this puts the plastic POS on the E46 to shame!”

slater
12-11-2018, 08:33 AM
Doesn’t the E83 have a really nice belly pan too? I’ve only taken it off once, but I remember thinking “wow this puts the plastic POS on the E46 to shame!”

yeah, it's decent, but the E90 is on another level.

DeathTrap
12-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Yep. Most of the screws on mine are missing from previous owner(s). It is a very nice piece.

Sucks about the WP issue. But you have now gained knowledge, and that's all that matters...kinda

slater
12-12-2018, 09:51 PM
i added some redline water wetter last night, and today i racked up about 500KM and the motor was great - coolant temps stayed solid at 96ºC, even during cruise (where supposedly it can creep up past 100ºC - remember, this is an electric water pump so the DME can actually control it's flow 100%... they reduce flow during cruise to improve fuel economy). also, my oil temps were lower as well - likely due to the ceratec - it stayed around 100ºC (212ºF), creeping up to around 110ºC (230ºF) under sustained loads. this is below normal, so i'm pretty stoked. my car does have a factory oil cooler.

it also felt like it's making more power. no complaints about that. :) it's already plenty quick - i can spin the tires almost all the way through 2nd gear. i can't imagine what a basic tune would feel like (roughly 360hp), much less the JB4 (400hp+). nuts... i don't want more power, but i DO want better power application - the rear end could use some locking down.

Sockethead
12-13-2018, 06:37 AM
Sounds like you need an LSD. The 135 was amazingly stable and planted

slater
12-13-2018, 07:05 AM
Sounds like you need an LSD. The 135 was amazingly stable and planted

yes. i've already priced them out. ;)

the subframe bushings are really soft, too - it makes enough power (300lb-ft of torque at like 2000-3000rpm) that you can actually feel them squirm as the rear end tries to get the power down. powerflex and whiteline make some polyurethane 'inserts' for the stock bushings - the whiteline ones are like $45 on amazon. crazy. i might try those first... the rear subframe has 4 bolts (versus 2 bolts and 2 studs on the E46), so removing the bolts and dropping the subframe down 2" is enough to get the inserts installed - easy.

but....... then i think finding a used M3 rear end makes good sense - LSD, plus beefier axles, better control arms and bushings, slightly bigger brakes. the caveat is the propshaft has to be modified... but i could get the entire rear end for way less than an LSD in the 335i pumpkin.

704sw
12-13-2018, 07:10 AM
I had a bad experience with Whiteline bushings not fitting. Maybe just an unfortunate, isolated incident but I’m not sure I’ll try them out on anything again.

Sockethead
12-13-2018, 07:57 AM
Peter..... This is sounding more and more like a project... just sayin' :)
Hard for us mechanical types to just drive a car

slater
12-13-2018, 08:32 AM
I had a bad experience with Whiteline bushings not fitting. Maybe just an unfortunate, isolated incident but I’m not sure I’ll try them out on anything again.

yeah... i read good reviews about these. we'll see.

Peter..... This is sounding more and more like a project... just sayin' :)

frig. you're right. ;)

LOL. i need to find some restraint...

slater
12-13-2018, 09:27 AM

this has been in my brain for the last hour. i need this on a t-shirt. LOL. :)

DeathTrap
12-13-2018, 10:58 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/2owjn9.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/2owjn9)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

Ok I'll leave now

Newjack
12-13-2018, 11:04 AM
Sounds like you need an LSD. The 135 was amazingly stable and plantedI can attest to this. Winter tires I ran on the ZHP seemingly have way more grip on the 135. LSD is a hell of a good time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sockethead
12-13-2018, 11:58 AM
I can attest to this. Winter tires I ran on the ZHP seemingly have way more grip on the 135. LSD is a hell of a good time.

I was wondering why you were saying the Blizzaks had no traction last year... I thought they were amazing on the 135

slater
12-13-2018, 01:05 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/2owjn9.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/2owjn9)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

Ok I'll leave now

LOL!

I can attest to this. Winter tires I ran on the ZHP seemingly have way more grip on the 135. LSD is a hell of a good time.

I was wondering why you were saying the Blizzaks had no traction last year... I thought they were amazing on the 135

robs... what LSD is in the 135?

Sockethead
12-13-2018, 01:33 PM
OS Giken Super lock. It's got 28 friction plates in it. Vac Motorsports installed it. We used to live near them. The ring gear is welded on the diff so they cut it off and machine it for bolts

Newjack
12-13-2018, 01:37 PM
OS Giken Super lock. It's got 28 friction plates in it. Vac Motorsports installed it. We used to live near them. The ring gear is welded on the diff so they cut it off and machine it for boltsOnly downside (it's a minor downside) is you need to make sure you change out the diff fluid with a specific fluid every 7k or so miles. Fluid can be pricey but it's totally worth it.

704sw
12-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Only downside (it's a minor downside) is you need to make sure you change out the diff fluid with a specific fluid every 7k or so miles. Fluid can be pricey but it's totally worth it.

That uniquely appalling stench of used gear oil would be a notable downside for me [emoji1743]*[emoji3603]

Newjack
12-13-2018, 03:31 PM
That uniquely appalling stench of used gear oil would be a notable downside for me [emoji1743]*[emoji3603]Had my mechanic take care of it when I bought the car since he was doing a number of other things. I heard the car start and pull into the garage bay while I'm sitting in the attached waiting room. Immediately stunk up the garage with the catless downpipes and not 5 minutes later I started smelling burnt corpses. Yep that's the diff fluid alright.

az3579
12-13-2018, 04:36 PM
Only downside (it's a minor downside) is you need to make sure you change out the diff fluid with a specific fluid every 7k or so miles. Fluid can be pricey but it's totally worth it.

7k??? That's a huge downside!
But who cares, as long as you're cool with it. :)

Sockethead
12-13-2018, 04:42 PM
I thought it was 12k...

slater
12-13-2018, 05:22 PM
OS Giken Super lock. It's got 28 friction plates in it. Vac Motorsports installed it. We used to live near them. The ring gear is welded on the diff so they cut it off and machine it for bolts

i hate the welded bit. i understand it was likely done for strength, but it still pisses me off. :)

That uniquely appalling stench of used gear oil would be a notable downside for me [emoji1743]*[emoji3603]

yeah. it's nasty. especially in your beard. you just gotta shave that business off... there's no cleaning it out.

Had my mechanic take care of it when I bought the car since he was doing a number of other things. I heard the car start and pull into the garage bay while I'm sitting in the attached waiting room. Immediately stunk up the garage with the catless downpipes and not 5 minutes later I started smelling burnt corpses. Yep that's the diff fluid alright.

LOL!!

I thought it was 12k...

even still... that seems crazy. :)

i'll likely go with another helical LSD, they suit my needs (i don't want lockup on decel).

Newjack
12-13-2018, 05:54 PM
I thought it was 12k...

12k you're right. I just checked my build thread again

slater
12-16-2018, 08:39 PM
in the next episode of As The Turbos Spool....

one of the rear wheel bearings (sounds like RR) is starting to get noisy. 81K KMs (~50K miles). way too early. ordering a bearing (or two) this week.

az3579
12-17-2018, 03:17 AM
Make sure the wheel bearing plug is plugged in first before you order one.

slater
12-17-2018, 04:54 AM
Make sure the wheel bearing plug is plugged in first before you order one.

LOL!! thanks man... you may have saved me some serious work. ;)

slater
01-10-2019, 05:12 AM
picked up a 41K-mile 3.46 diff for the 335 yesterday. it's supposed to have a bolted ring gear, so i'll find out once i drain it and pop the rear cover. they only made the bolted, large-case 3.46 for like 1 year, so if it is what i hope it is, it was a good find.

short term plan: drain, open case and inspect, reseal, install w/ new fluid, and see how the 3.46 is (stock is 3.08).

long term plan: send the 3.46 out for LSD install. MFactory (curious about the group buy), or Wavetrac. would prefer to try the Wavetrac this time, but price is a major factor. i've also been thinking about installing the LSD myself if it's a bolted diff - doesn't look too difficult. would save me some money.

after a long drive home from toronto in some sketchy weather last night, LSD is higher up my 'must' list. i need more grip in this thing.

az3579
01-10-2019, 06:26 AM
Not a project. :)

slater
01-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Not a project. :)

nope. :)

i divulged the only 'improvements' i wanted early on... LSD was in there:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?21990-Not-A-Project-Peter%92s-2009-335i-M-Sport&p=575549#post575549

safety improvement. ;)

az3579
01-10-2019, 08:32 AM
nope. :)

i divulged the only 'improvements' i wanted early on... LSD was in there:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?21990-Not-A-Project-Peter%92s-2009-335i-M-Sport&p=575549#post575549

safety improvement. ;)

Performance mods = project
Change my mind :rofl

Sockethead
01-10-2019, 08:35 AM
Me too... I call bullshit :foottap

ZHPizza
01-10-2019, 08:47 AM
3.08 to 3.46 will only make you spin tires harder. Was there no 3.08 bolted diff made or are you bullshitting your way to an acceleration boost under the guise of safety?

az3579
01-10-2019, 08:55 AM
or are you bullshitting your way to an acceleration boost under the guise of safety?

This is my theory. LSD's aren't essential, so I think he's disguising his desire to mod the car. :)

ZHPizza
01-10-2019, 09:10 AM
This is my theory. LSD's aren't essential, so I think he's disguising his desire to mod the car. :)I mean he definitely needs an LSD for getting out of his driveway in the winter, but the 335 comes with an "e-diff" or something that should be ok for that. The helical would be better for launches and getting sideways...

slater
01-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Performance mods = project
Change my mind :rofl

no, i feel like the word 'project' necessitates some sort of rehabilitation or restoration.

;)

Me too... I call bullshit :foottap

hey now!! :)

3.08 to 3.46 will only make you spin tires harder. Was there no 3.08 bolted diff made or are you bullshitting your way to an acceleration boost under the guise of safety?

there was, it was produced for the same 1 year time period - 2007. the manual got a 3.08 and the auto got a 3.46, but this diff is only for RWD cars - they got a 'large case' diff; the xDrive cars got a 'small case' diff. so considering most cars (at least up here) are xDrive, i had to to kinda take what i could get. to be honest, the car's torque curve is great and a 3.08 would've been fine... i just happened to find a 3.46 that was really low mileage and exactly the year i wanted (going with the bolted diff saves me about $1000). now... this is all supposing that the part # sleuthing i did was correct - when i open the case i'll find out.

This is my theory. LSD's aren't essential, so I think he's disguising his desire to mod the car. :)

nothing about a 306hp twin-turbo car is essential, LOL. i'm simply trying to get some more grip!

I mean he definitely needs an LSD for getting out of his driveway in the winter, but the 335 comes with an "e-diff" or something that should be ok for that. The helical would be better for launches and getting sideways...

the e-diff isn't exactly super helpful or even smooth in operation, and really only 'works' (i use that term loosely) when DSC fully off.

a real LSD is certainly an asset in the winter. i mean - when DSC lights up in a flashing frenzy and cuts 99% of your power... whether you're trying to traverse an intersection or pull out of your driveway - nothing beats more traction. :) the LSD i had in the ZHP sedan and the Touring most definitely allowed me to actually get places safer in the winter.

that said... ;) launches and sideways driving would also be a lot SAFER with an LSD.... tell me i'm wrong!! :)

(you can't!)

hahahahahahaha. this is fun. :)

az3579
01-10-2019, 12:32 PM
hahahahahahaha. this is fun. :)

Okay, I'll play!

that said... ;) launches and sideways driving would also be a lot SAFER with an LSD.... tell me i'm wrong!! :)

(you can't!)

I can actually, since you mentioned safety - it's safer to just not do launches and not drive sideways. HAHAHAHAHA
I win

(certainly not as fun though, but I digress!)

slater
01-10-2019, 12:56 PM
Okay, I'll play!

I can actually, since you mentioned safety - it's safer to just not do launches and not drive sideways. HAHAHAHAHA
I win

(certainly not as fun though, but I digress!)

hahaha!!

OK, OK..... i give in. my name is peter, and i have a problem. :) i'm... i'm modding a little. :) but certainly with restraint!!

az3579
01-10-2019, 01:50 PM
That's all we wanted, a confession! Carry on!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

holyc0w
01-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Love it :rofl

slater
01-10-2019, 08:44 PM
That's all we wanted, a confession! Carry on!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

[emoji1787]

704sw
01-10-2019, 09:01 PM
OK, OK..... i give in. my name is peter, and i have a problem.

(As a group) “hiiiii Peter.”

We want you to know this is a safe space, and you can be honest with us.

Sockethead
01-11-2019, 05:05 AM
OK, OK..... i give in. my name is peter, and i have a problem. :)
You’re in good company! ;)

slater
01-11-2019, 05:14 AM
(As a group) “hiiiii Peter.”

We want you to know this is a safe space, and you can be honest with us.

You’re in good company! ;)

haha... very true. thanks guys. :)

i gotta get to a mafia meet sometime.

704sw
01-11-2019, 09:22 AM
i gotta get to a mafia meet sometime.

Yes you do. Still have family in SC you need an excuse to visit?

RUS_ZHP
01-13-2019, 12:11 PM
Peter is getting different diff, which potentially will be LSD. That's interesting, because few month ago he said no mods for this car! Yeah, I can see a strick regime for no mods-:)

Sockethead
01-14-2019, 04:57 AM
He’s in denial :)

slater
01-15-2019, 09:16 AM
Yes you do. Still have family in SC you need an excuse to visit?

i do.... my sister and her family. near greenville. haven't been down there in 15 years! (she always comes up here.) this year is probably a good time for that.

Peter is getting different diff, which potentially will be LSD. That's interesting, because few month ago he said no mods for this car! Yeah, I can see a strick regime for no mods-:)

welllllll.... i did list the LSD as something i was going to do. :)

He’s in denial :)

haha. maybe!!

my father and step-mom were visiting this weekend, and brought my father's 2008 audi TT 3.2 6MT that he just picked up. i hadn't driven a MkII TT, or anything with the 3.2 VR6. and as a prior owner of a MkI TT 225, i was definitely curious. well - sheeeit. audi did a nice job with this car. the chassis is FAR better, brakes are better, and the 3.2 VR6 is glorious - not to mention the trans is decent and the gearing is phenomenal - shifting at redline (6800rpm) brings you right back to 5000rpm in the next gear - it feels pretty motorsport in that regard. also, the AWD system was faultless, and very little understeer at all - it almost feels like a baby B7 RS4.

the best thing i can say about it is that it felt very UN-audi (kinda like the B7 RS4).

needless to say, i drove it all weekend and loved it. now i want one. :) the engine, gearing, and grip were amazing. the only thing i didn't like about it was the steering was too overboosted, and the clutch grabbed a bit too low (likely the clutch itself on this particular car).

704sw
01-15-2019, 11:04 AM
the only thing i didn't like about it was the steering was too overboosted

My buddy has a B8 S4 and the steering is the same way. Awesome car, but the steering would be a dealbreaker for me.

Sockethead
01-15-2019, 01:25 PM
i do.... my sister and her family. near greenville. haven't been down there in 15 years! (she always comes up here.) this year is probably a good time for that.

Hmm... meet at the Zentrum? :) BMWCCA is right there too...

slater
01-15-2019, 01:31 PM
My buddy has a B8 S4 and the steering is the same way. Awesome car, but the steering would be a dealbreaker for me.

yeah... i would have to figure that part out. otherwise i loved it. it was super playful. i went sideways...

Hmm... meet at the Zentrum? :) BMWCCA is right there too...

hmmm, that's a great idea! she's 45 miles from there. might be good for the charlotte contingency too!

RUS_ZHP
01-15-2019, 01:31 PM
Peter is shopping for Audi avant https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190115/fd795a542ffc73716416df28e8bcf745.gif

slater
01-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Peter is shopping for Audi avant https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190115/fd795a542ffc73716416df28e8bcf745.gif

no no... TT 3.2... ;)

hey, i sent those Touring cross bars back with my father this morning! i'll send you his contact details.

704sw
01-15-2019, 01:41 PM
hmmm, that's a great idea! she's 45 miles from there. might be good for the charlotte contingency too!

Oui, s’il vous plaît.

yeah... i would have to figure that part out. otherwise i loved it. it was super playful. i went sideways...

Honestly I always forget about the TT, which is weird because I’ve always liked them. I was just talking yesterday with a friend who has a 370Z (fellow marketing nerd) about the new Supra and how we thought it really missed the mark for competitors from a brand/target market/pricing standpoint. Yet when thinking of other 2-door, 2-seat sports coupes like the Z/Cayman/“Supra” the TT totally slipped my mind.

slater
01-15-2019, 01:46 PM
Honestly I always forget about the TT, which is weird because I’ve always liked them. I was just talking yesterday with a friend who has a 370Z (fellow marketing nerd) about the new Supra and how we thought it really missed the mark for competitors from a brand/target market/pricing standpoint. Yet when thinking of other 2-door, 2-seat sports coupes like the Z/Cayman/“Supra” the TT totally slipped my mind.

yeah, it does that, likely because of the gimmicky styling (which i kinda like), and the fact that the MkI TT wasn't really that good, dynamically.

this newer one with the 3.2 VR6, 6MT with the crazy close ratios, mega brakes and MUCH more competent chassis - man, i really dug it. it sounded great and really wanted to rev, and to play. i definitely tossed it about and it definitely responded with "is that all you got?!"

i was surprised. except.... yes, the steering, especially at low speeds, is mega over-booted. i wonder if that can be remedied. it could in the older cars by just pulling the servotronic module. also, the interior is very audi - by that, i mean... lots of black mixed with lots of shiny metal or bits. the MkI interior was actually a lot better.

RUS_ZHP
01-15-2019, 04:13 PM
no no... TT 3.2... ;)

hey, i sent those Touring cross bars back with my father this morning! i'll send you his contact details.Awesome! I'll send you PM.

holyc0w
01-15-2019, 09:21 PM
i was surprised. except.... yes, the steering, especially at low speeds, is mega over-booted. i wonder if that can be remedied. it could in the older cars by just pulling the servotronic module. also, the interior is very audi - by that, i mean... lots of black mixed with lots of shiny metal or bits. the MkI interior was actually a lot better.

Oooo...shiny

It looks pretty nice to me.

slater
01-18-2019, 07:40 AM
the 335i is now making 350hp/370tq.

whoops.

704sw
01-18-2019, 07:45 AM

whoops.

#justN54things

ZHPizza
01-18-2019, 08:06 AM

whoops.

WHAT DID YOU DO

WHAT THE FRIG DID YOU DO

slater
01-18-2019, 08:21 AM
WHAT DID YOU DO

WHAT THE FRIG DID YOU DO

haha.

MHD stage 1 91 octane tune. it's ridonkulous already. like, 0-60 is in the 4s range.

az3579
01-18-2019, 08:40 AM
haha.

MHD stage 1 91 octane tune. it's ridonkulous already. like, 0-60 is in the 4s range.

Keep on modding.

johnrando
01-18-2019, 09:09 AM

whoops.Su-wheet!

slater
01-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Keep on modding.

LOL. this was not really a planned mod, but the MHD system is stupid cheap and they offer a 1-2 'shift bog fix' and a 'linear throttle' remap that sounded like really good drivability fixes. so, like, the stage 1 tune was free...... so, like..... i couldn't just not do it..... ;)

slater
01-18-2019, 09:10 AM
Su-wheet!

yeah! it's a little bonkers, for me. my son hasn't been in the car yet for it - he's going to love it.

slater
05-18-2019, 07:21 PM
a coupla updates here, while i'm on my quarterly visit to the forum... :/

life is busy. house is on the market. we're planning to move to kitchener (ontario) when it sells, and my wife is going back to university. my daughter turned 15 (!). i bought a 2015 Golf for my wife... it's a great car. almost quit my job. went to mexico for a wedding, for a week and finally got to relax and spend some quality time with my wife - that was mega.

335i has been going OK, but it and my back have not been getting along. i installed lumbar in the stock seat, which has helped, but i'm still not comfy in it. not like an E46 4/5 door with M3 seats. the rest of the car is.... OK. i replaced a dying coilpack and a leaking charge pipe recently and the car is running better than ever - acceleration is (with MHD tune), really, so fast and smooth. almost.... too fast? it pulls to 180kmh way too easily. i really need to time it. i replaced both rear wheel bearings back in january-ish and one is dying again - WTFF. not looking forward to doing that job again, but i have to. oh, and it gets 30mpg on the highway. what a weird car.