PDA

View Full Version : Power Steeling Pump Fail - What else should I replace while I'm at it?

RP3340
12-12-2018, 12:13 AM
Hey!

So my power steering pump failed at 89k miles.

My local shop is doing the labor this time around, so thinking of taking advantage of the labor I'm already paying for to have them replace other relatively inexpensive parts from a preventative maintenance perspective?

I am thinking of replacing the water pump (hasn't been done), and the belt tensioner pulleys.

John in VA
12-12-2018, 05:35 AM
FCP Euro is currently having clearance sale, including the Salieri water pump. They have kits that include associated pulleys, tensioners, belts, hoses, clamps, etc. I got myself the PS hoses & reservoir & water pump for Christmas!

Vas
12-13-2018, 12:21 PM
You can do a basic cooling system. Waterpump, thermostat, tank, hoses, sensors.

Newjack
12-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Oil filter housing gasket is around that area and an extremely cheap part for the headache it causes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3ZHPGUY
12-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Just a FYI: mine started making a popping noise when turning a few years ago. I was ready to changeout the pump and noticed it was working it’s way out. Now five years later, I’m still running with the original. It’s not perfect but, for the cost savings I’ll live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RP3340
12-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Hey guys! Thanks for all the advice. The water pump and cooling system looked ok.

The shaft was broken clean off the power steering pump. I had them do the tank and hoses while they are at it, replaced it with Luk-20 pump.

I also had them do the belts, tensioners, and pulleys while they were in there.

Turns out my control arm bushings were shot as well, so we replaced those with some urethane bushings.

Next time I want to DIY but I don't have a great place to work on it, and I don't have all the tools yet either. Would love to find somebody in SoCal who would be down to work together on some projects.