PDA

View Full Version : ZKW Lens in AL Housing

e46zhpm3
01-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Hey Guys,

I have been suffering from terrible light output from my ZKW's. Thanks to the information i found here and over at e46 fanatics I am swapping over my ZKW lenses into AL headlights. I already got a pair of AL headlights and just had a questions for the experts over here. Because I am swapping the ZKW lense and not ZKW-R lense from TRS, Do i need to bend the RV shield or remove it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to start this project tomorrow!!!!

cheers.

Vas
01-08-2019, 11:55 AM
No.

Just remove the AL frosted Lenses and install the ZKW clear lenses.

e46zhpm3
01-08-2019, 01:19 PM
No.

Just remove the AL frosted Lenses and install the ZKW clear lenses.

thank you VAS! also for your help in the other thread as well!

Vas
01-08-2019, 01:28 PM
thank you VAS! also for your help in the other thread as well!

No problem.

I would suggest starting to take apart the ZKW headlights first so you can have a better understanding on how to remove the lenses.

e46zhpm3
01-08-2019, 02:21 PM
No problem.

I would suggest starting to take apart the ZKW headlights first so you can have a better understanding on how to remove the lenses.

i have a set of lenses from my friend Slater . Will not need to take apart the ZKW headlights :)

az3579
01-08-2019, 03:29 PM
i have a set of lenses from my friend Slater . Will not need to take apart the ZKW headlights :)

He was just recommending you take apart the ZKW's so you can familiarize yourself with taking the headlight apart before you tear into your permanent AL housings. The process is similar for both. A practice run, if you will.

e46zhpm3
01-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Performed open heart surgery on the new AL headlights today. Hardest part was getting the stupid ball joint out of the retaining clip. Otherwise pretty smooth ...

Going to be putting in the zkw lense tomororw and swap over my angel eyes. :) Looking forward to being able to see at night finally !!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190109/bb450157763e8a154eeb9568823f8e63.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

racer2086
06-13-2019, 05:52 PM
6 month old Post, but how did it turn out? About to do this myself.

JPMo
06-13-2019, 06:22 PM
6 month old Post, but how did it turn out? About to do this myself.

Well I also just did this about 2 weeks ago and I survived. Definitely a pain to take apart the headlights but its worth it. Just remember how you took everything apart and be careful with all the various bits as they like to break.

330itoy
10-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Is the wiring plug and play from ZKW to AI headlights? I want to buy a set of AI headlights and try this. I am tired of the burned out ZKW’s and not seeing at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az3579
10-25-2019, 10:18 AM
Is the wiring plug and play from ZKW to AI headlights? I want to buy a set of AI headlights and try this. I am tired of the burned out ZKW’s and not seeing at night.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe external wiring is the same but the way it's set up internally is not.

If you buy a whole headlight housing then you can plug & play, electrically speaking. If you have the AL bracket, then you're good to go, but if you're reusing your ZKW bracket then you'll need to cut out a section of it to make it fit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

racer2086
10-25-2019, 11:41 AM

If you want the zkw projector lens in your Al headlight the easiest thing to do is to actually just swap the Glass lens part from the zkw into the AL light. This requires no internal wiring changes and no external wiring changes so everything remains plug-and-play but you get the crisp clear zkw projector lens in the AL housing. Best part is you only need to remove the front plastic outer lens and some of the reflector bowls from the back to be able to get the Glass lens and housing out to swap them. You do not need to disassemble all of the parts like you seen so many threads. I was able to do the swap on mine fairly easily. Then sold the ZKW lights with the AL lens to someone who needed parts.

330itoy
10-25-2019, 02:53 PM
The external wiring is the same but the way it's set up internally is not.

If you buy a whole headlight housing then you can plug & play, electrically speaking. If you have the AL bracket, then you're good to go, but if you're reusing your ZKW bracket then you'll need to cut out a section of it to make it fit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much [emoji106]

330itoy
10-25-2019, 02:54 PM
If you want the zkw projector lens in your Al headlight the easiest thing to do is to actually just swap the Glass lens part from the zkw into the AL light. This requires no internal wiring changes and no external wiring changes so everything remains plug-and-play but you get the crisp clear zkw projector lens in the AL housing. Best part is you only need to remove the front plastic outer lens and some of the reflector bowls from the back to be able to get the Glass lens and housing out to swap them. You do not need to disassemble all of the parts like you seen so many threads. I was able to do the swap on mine fairly easily. Then sold the ZKW lights with the AL lens to someone who needed parts.

Thank you and that sounds like the way I will do it. [emoji106]