PDA

View Full Version : Transmission & Differential Fluids

GotZHP
03-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Hey Mafia,

I am getting ready to replace both my Transmission fluid (6MT) and my rear Dif fluid. From what I've read I'll order 2 Liters for both and have some fluid left over, but I was wondering what fluids to get.

Looking to see what everyone has replaced there trans and dif fluids with? any recommendations? Car is mostly a commuter with spirited driving on the weekends. No track days in near future.

Thanks!

san
03-27-2019, 12:01 PM
I tried redline MTL and ATF fluids (current) for tranny. Redline actually recommends ATF fluid for our cars. But I think next time I would just go with BMW fluid because both the redline products work well when they are fresh but get bad quite quickly, especially in cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racer2086
03-27-2019, 12:31 PM
Was reading around this forum about this very topic. It seems there are 3 aftermarket fluids people use. But I'm thinking of just using the BMW stuff.

There are two transmissions listed on realOEM for my car. It seems they both take MTF LT-2 fluid p/n 83222339219. Do we agree with this?

For the diff, it seems realOEM has one fluid listed regardless of the car's gear set or equipment (i.e. auto trans, manual trans, perf package). That fluid is called, "BMW Synthetik OSP" p/n 83222365987.

Do these cars not have an LSD? I know the M cars take special fluid with friction modifier, because I just did that on my dad's M3. I guess these are just open diffs?

GotZHP
03-27-2019, 02:20 PM
Was reading around this forum about this very topic. It seems there are 3 aftermarket fluids people use. But I'm thinking of just using the BMW stuff.

There are two transmissions listed on realOEM for my car. It seems they both take MTF LT-2 fluid p/n 83222339219. Do we agree with this?

For the diff, it seems realOEM has one fluid listed regardless of the car's gear set or equipment (i.e. auto trans, manual trans, perf package). That fluid is called, "BMW Synthetik OSP" p/n 83222365987.

Do these cars not have an LSD? I know the M cars take special fluid with friction modifier, because I just did that on my dad's M3. I guess these are just open diffs?I wish these cars came with a LSD but sadly, they do not.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
03-27-2019, 02:29 PM
I used redline atf in my transmission but it is indeed like water after a few months. I dug deep into m3forum and came away with this as the best replacement for the BMW lifetime MTF

Ravenol J1C1002 SAE 75W-80 Manual Transmission Fluid - MTF-2 Full Synthetic API GL-4 (1 Liter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGXB15O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qK.MCb3YQWKN0

GotZHP
03-27-2019, 02:38 PM
I used redline atf in my transmission but it is indeed like water after a few months. I dug deep into m3forum and came away with this as the best replacement for the BMW lifetime MTF

Ravenol J1C1002 SAE 75W-80 Manual Transmission Fluid - MTF-2 Full Synthetic API GL-4 (1 Liter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGXB15O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qK.MCb3YQWKN0

ah, so it is indeed sae 75w- 80. I was looking at a few other fluids with this rating but will probs just get the one you posted. $20 a bottle isn't that expensive and I don't want to have to replace the fluid again in the near future. Car is going to see a lot more miles on it very soon. My Commute is going to be ~22 miles one way, so 45 miles a day, 5 days a week.

GotZHP
03-27-2019, 02:45 PM
So that just leaves the dif. Should I get the OEM fluid or liquid-moly? Or something else all together.

OEM Fluid = $18.74
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/rear-differential-fluid-1-liter/07512293972/

Liqui-Moly =#13.76 (Surprised it is cheaper)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-liqui_moly-parts/manual-transmission-differential-fluid-75w90-1-liter/2048~liq/

racer2086
03-27-2019, 05:08 PM
Are going aftermarket with the transmission fluid based on price? pelican has the fluid for $32 per liter. That's only 12 more than the Amazon fluid... Is it better?

kayger12
03-28-2019, 04:59 AM
Fwiw, stuck with the Mike Miller recs here. Red Line 75w90 for the diff and Red Line MTL for the trans. Zero issues after multiple 30K runs on both.

GotZHP
03-28-2019, 10:46 AM
Fwiw, stuck with the Mike Miller recs here. Red Line 75w90 for the diff and Red Line MTL for the trans. Zero issues after multiple 30K runs on both.

What vender did you get yours from? I'm shopping around for the best price, but I do have $50 in gift cards for Amazon, so trying to use those up.

John in VA
03-28-2019, 11:44 AM
I tried redline MTL and ATF fluids (current) for tranny. Redline actually recommends ATF fluid for our cars. But I think next time I would just go with BMW fluid because both the redline products work well when they are fresh but get bad quite quickly, especially in cold weather.

I've used the Redline D4 ATF in our E46 manuals without issues. No problems with the 2002 325xi shifting or running over this past winter in the DC area - did the tranny & diff fluid changes nearly 3 years ago.
https://www.redlineoil.com/bmw-what-red-line-products-do-i-need

GotZHP
03-30-2019, 09:30 AM
I've used the Redline D4 ATF in our E46 manuals without issues. No problems with the 2002 325xi shifting or running over this past winter in the DC area - did the tranny & diff fluid changes nearly 3 years ago.
https://www.redlineoil.com/bmw-what-red-line-products-do-i-needNice, good to hear.

I'm thinking the Ravenol for transmission, red line for different, and type 200 for the brake fluid.

Hopefully doing all this work soon

ZHPizza
03-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Good plan! I actually just ordered some Endless rf650 brake fluid. Expensive af, but it has excellent pedal feel and characteristics. Don't have to worry about it boiling on the track ever, and some people said they have no problems leaving it in for 2+ years and dozens of track events without even needing to bleed.

PetesZ
04-01-2019, 04:13 AM
Pentosin MTF for the 6sp and Castrol 95 140 for the differential.

Can pick both up at local box stores. Bonus

san
04-01-2019, 04:32 AM
Pentosin MTF for the 6sp and Castrol 95 140 for the differential.

Can pick both up at local box stores. Bonus

I thought pentosin was NLA.

GotZHP
04-02-2019, 11:55 AM
Good plan! I actually just ordered some Endless rf650 brake fluid. Expensive af, but it has excellent pedal feel and characteristics. Don't have to worry about it boiling on the track ever, and some people said they have no problems leaving it in for 2+ years and dozens of track events without even needing to bleed.I'll check that out as well, haven't placed the order yet. My brake fluid is so toast though and needs to go ASAP.

I was running a datalog the other night and did a high speed run to ensure my fuel trims were staying on point under full throttle at high speed. I quickly hit ~110mph ( on a closed road I got access to from a friend who works for the road construction company ;) ) and then braked as hard as I could back down to ~40mph and just that alone was enough to boil some fluid and leave a bad smell in the car. Got some Amazon gift cards, so going to from there soon.