PDA

View Full Version : New bluetooth option for e46 coming soon

Pages : [1] 2

Will
03-28-2019, 09:34 AM
I've been following the thread on m3forums (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340), but the developer has created a video talking about the product. It looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO9WvRbNzZg

Just posting here in case people are interested.

Edit: m3forum.net is dead, new site with new thread here (link) (https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/main-forum/e46-2001-2006/1227-bluebus-a-fully-integrated-a2dp-bluetooth-solution).

bvmackin
03-28-2019, 01:32 PM
Thanks for posting, definitely interested. I have factory nav, but no CD changer. Need to figure out whether this will integrate.

cakM3
03-28-2019, 06:02 PM
I'm interested... thanks for the heads up Will! :thumbsup

Will
03-28-2019, 06:19 PM
Thanks for posting, definitely interested. I have factory nav, but no CD changer. Need to figure out whether this will integrate.

It seems like it will. My understanding is that as long as the car is pre-wired (look at the trunk badges) it should work. Also, for BT calling, as long as you get a OE BMW mic connected to the pre-wire and the optional BT board from him it'll work for BT calling.

This is the solution I've been waiting for. Very excited for it.

WOLFN8TR
03-28-2019, 08:02 PM
I'm interested... thanks for the heads up Will!
Looks Sweet!!

FungShui
03-29-2019, 08:10 AM
I will be interested.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wstr75
03-29-2019, 11:23 AM
I contacted the fellow yesterday via email. He was top notch in his response to my technical questions. I am interested in buying his card and wanted to know what capabilities would it have compared to my Intravee managed set-up. He answered my questions and indicated he was giving thought to providing vehicle's CAN-BUS data in a display page much in the same manner as Intravee can do (coolant temp, actual speed - not the 2 mph overstated of the speedometer, outside temp, rpm, max trip rpm, fuel state - in liters, and other stuff my Intravee displays on that one screen setting. I find it means more to me than the dashboard information. This same display setting on the Intravee provides a max braking and max acceleration G read-out. I'll look down and see I've braked harder than my top acceleration G force during the trip or vice versa, kind of interesting trivia to know.

Will
03-29-2019, 12:07 PM
^ that's pretty cool, and good to hear he was open to sharing info on some technical details. I'm always appreciative of enthusiasts who are taking on projects like this.

FungShui
03-29-2019, 01:54 PM
Pre-order is up. I signed up for it.

https://www.bluebus.dev/

cakM3
03-29-2019, 04:15 PM
I'm liking what Ted is doing so far...

nextelbuddy
03-29-2019, 05:26 PM
I pre ordered as well.

derbo
03-29-2019, 06:30 PM
very cool!

GotZHP
04-02-2019, 12:02 PM
That's the correct badge setup in the trunk for this to work right?

I'm going to have one of my family members get me this for my B Day :)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190402/b6343024c8feb942334f8909cb762178.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Will
04-02-2019, 12:24 PM
^ yup.

Dual
04-02-2019, 12:30 PM
Will this pass-through audio from the aux in without involving BT?

Will
04-02-2019, 05:39 PM
^ I have no idea, sorry. I'm not involved in this product, other than simply cross-posting in case people were interested for such a solution. I'd refer you to the original post on m3forum (see first post in this thread for link), lots of questions and answers in that.

Dual
04-03-2019, 07:19 AM
Gotcha. I did find Github info for the project: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus

t3ddftw
04-04-2019, 01:29 PM
Will,

Thanks so much for posting this! Just so we're all on the same page, I'm the creator of this adapter :)

Will this pass-through audio from the aux in without involving BT?

No, it won't. I actually developed this product so that I could stop having to use AUX in my own car. Even if I did add this feature, you'd have to wire it from the trunk to where you'd want the AUX input to be :/.

PdZHP
04-04-2019, 03:17 PM
Great work!

Silbergrauwler
04-04-2019, 08:38 PM
I love seeing these types of solutions being developed. My last three cars have required various types of solutions for BT integration and this seems like a very clean option.

Fried_Chicken
04-04-2019, 11:32 PM
How is this different from the GROM unit I just installed?

az3579
04-05-2019, 03:53 AM

It appears to have less functionality than the GROM. Doesn't seem to do anything other than Bluetooth (no aux, no USB).

t3ddftw
04-05-2019, 07:58 AM
Great work!

Thanks! :)

I love seeing these types of solutions being developed. My last three cars have required various types of solutions for BT integration and this seems like a very clean option.

Thank you! OEM look and feel of the interface was my main goal :)

It appears to have less functionality than the GROM. Doesn't seem to do anything other than Bluetooth (no aux, no USB).

Yup, it doesn't do AUX or USB, unlike the GROM. What it does do is better integrate with the OE systems in a manner that makes sense and make use of the OE microphone :). I have never used the GROM unit myself, but one of my beta users who has an E39 M5 says that the audio quality from the BlueBus is superior. From what I can find, GROM uses the MBC05-CAR-AT based on the Bluecore 5. This chip has an output of 95dB SNR, while the PCM5102A that is in the BlueBus outputs 113dB SNR.

az3579
04-05-2019, 09:31 AM
So is this unit ready for production? Pricing?

t3ddftw
04-05-2019, 10:00 AM
So is this unit ready for production? Pricing?

I'm still validating my latest revision with the beta users, but so far the results are positive. I expect to send off for manufacture sometime in the next few weeks.

Pricing is somewhere between $160 - $180 right now. I'm waiting on my distributor to get back to me on cVc (Clear Voice Capture, which is echo/noise cancellation for hands free calls) licensing costs, which is going to be a factor in the end pricing. I'm also looking at having them manufactured in the U.S., but this would put my cost per unit at nearly $110.

Aethir30
04-05-2019, 12:41 PM
I've put in for a pre-order. I don't enjoy using cables if I can help it (so usb and aux in are useless for me) and the hands free calling and integration with the factory display is the selling point.

Can't wait!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gordo_GT
04-05-2019, 12:42 PM
I've put in for a pre-order. I don't enjoy using cables if I can help it (so usb and aux in are useless for me) and the hands free calling and integration with the factory display is the selling point.

Can't wait!

Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dual
04-05-2019, 01:48 PM
No, it won't. I actually developed this product so that I could stop having to use AUX in my own car. Even if I did add this feature, you'd have to wire it from the trunk to where you'd want the AUX input to be :/.
Thanks for your informative reply here and the very friendly, helpful email you sent me earlier. I think I'm going to go for this! Am I right in assuming I can always revert to AUX-in by selecting it instead of the "CD changer"?

cakM3
04-05-2019, 05:27 PM
Will,

Thanks so much for posting this! Just so we're all on the same page, I'm the creator of this adapter :)

Ted, nice to see you here!

t3ddftw
04-05-2019, 06:38 PM

Can't wait!

Same here.

Thanks, guys! The OE integration was really what I was going for. I had been considering an Android head unit, but after reading all of the bad reviews about buggy software and poor audio quality, I decided to make a "Stock" Bluetooth A2DP adapter instead :).

Thanks for your informative reply here and the very friendly, helpful email you sent me earlier. I think I'm going to go for this! Am I right in assuming I can always revert to AUX-in by selecting it instead of the "CD changer"?

You're welcome! Glad I could be helpful :)

Yes, OE AUX is fully retained by my system. In fact, I still have mine wired up because it's not doing any harm, haha.

Ted, nice to see you here!

Glad to be here! I figured I should probably chime into the thread about my own product :P

Will
04-06-2019, 03:25 PM
Glad to be here! I figured I should probably chime into the thread about my own product :P

Good to see you here, Ted, and thanks for taking your time to answer questions and provide context for your solution. Sorry to add another thread to busy you with, my intent was referring people to the m3forum thread where lots of questions were answered.

Dual
04-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Thanks for that initial post Will. Links here aren't highlighted in my browser: I didn't see it!

t3ddftw
04-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Good to see you here, Ted, and thanks for taking your time to answer questions and provide context for your solution. Sorry to add another thread to busy you with, my intent was referring people to the m3forum thread where lots of questions were answered.

Thanks for posting it to begin with!

I don't mind answering questions -- I've pretty much posted this on all the applicable forums so I could gain interest and answer questions :)

Will
04-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Thanks for posting it to begin with!

I don't mind answering questions -- I've pretty much posted this on all the applicable forums so I could gain interest and answer questions :)

Good deal, I hope people are as excited for your solution as I am. The combination of OE plug/play, reliability, and sound quality is great combo imo.

Thanks for that initial post Will. Links here aren't highlighted in my browser: I didn't see it!

No worries. I was concerned that perhaps Ted wasn't checking this thread/forum as frequently, thus pointing you a resource I was aware of with lots of questions/answers.

kakashi169
04-09-2019, 04:42 AM
NICE TED!!

I am in for a pre order. Hope this takes off!

t3ddftw
04-09-2019, 01:29 PM
NICE TED!!

I am in for a pre order. Hope this takes off!

Thanks, Daniel! I hope so too :)

stephenkirsh
04-13-2019, 07:53 AM
I’m interested in hearing user results. My DICE media bridge seems to be on the way out in my zhp.

Ted, on my MX5, I have an aftermarket head unit with built in BT. Lately, whenever the track changes on my synced iPhone, it will return the audio to level 15 on the headunit regardless of if it was higher or lower. I’ve turned off sound check on my iPhone.

Is this something that your adapter would do, or not do? Just curious.

t3ddftw
04-13-2019, 08:08 AM
I’m interested in hearing user results. My DICE media bridge seems to be on the way out in my zhp.

Ted, on my MX5, I have an aftermarket head unit with built in BT. Lately, whenever the track changes on my synced iPhone, it will return the audio to level 15 on the headunit regardless of if it was higher or lower. I’ve turned off sound check on my iPhone.

Is this something that your adapter would do, or not do? Just curious.

Stephen,

Sounds like a bug with your HU! The only time my unit changes the volume is when you receive a call, and it only alters the volume of the call and not the audio stream.

Thanks!
-Ted

stephenkirsh
05-01-2019, 07:40 PM
Hi Ted, here's a rather unique question for ya.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-roman-mars-mazda-virus/

It's an episode of a podcast that I listen to regularly, and ever since I added the DICE Media Bridge to my ZHP, I've had a weird unexplained connectivity issue with my phone. But now it's explained.

Short version of the podcast: A particular type of Mazda 6 head unit from about 2010-2015 has had issues staying connected/powered on when playing THIS podcast, and JUST THIS podcast alone: 99% Invisible. The issue apparently is that "% I" is a command in the programming language of the head unit, verified by the original coder of head unit's software (it's all described in the podcast episode). I thought I was alone in this issue, but apparently enough people have had this issue that they made a specific podcast episode about it, AND an entire "Mazda-Safe" podcast feed (which I've yet to locate).

Since I installed my DICE Media Bridge on my ZHP in about 2014, I'm betting the software might be related.

Can you test this podcast on your product, and confirm that there is no issue w/ this podcast and your product?

t3ddftw
05-01-2019, 09:02 PM

It's an episode of a podcast that I listen to regularly, and ever since I added the DICE Media Bridge to my ZHP, I've had a weird unexplained connectivity issue with my phone. But now it's explained.

Short version of the podcast: A particular type of Mazda 6 head unit from about 2010-2015 has had issues staying connected/powered on when playing THIS podcast, and JUST THIS podcast alone: 99% Invisible. The issue apparently is that "% I" is a command in the programming language of the head unit, verified by the original coder of head unit's software (it's all described in the podcast episode). I thought I was alone in this issue, but apparently enough people have had this issue that they made a specific podcast episode about it, AND an entire "Mazda-Safe" podcast feed (which I've yet to locate).

Since I installed my DICE Media Bridge on my ZHP in about 2014, I'm betting the software might be related.

Can you test this podcast on your product, and confirm that there is no issue w/ this podcast and your product?

Stephen,

That's an interesting issue. My first thought is that the '%' operator is often used by programming languages for string formatting, which could throw off some poorly written code. I'll test with the BlueBus tomorrow, but I assume that the BT module will have no problems with it, as it is a high end module ($30/unit at 100+ unit counts -- ouch) and generally doesn't have issues with any metadata I've thrown at it, including Kanji characters. Nothing on the microcontroller side should really take issue with it either.

Funnily enough, I don't have a BlueBus right now as I'm out of prototypes and I'm waiting for one to get shipped back to me, which should be here in the AM PDT :)

Thanks!
-Ted

t3ddftw
05-02-2019, 12:10 PM

Stephen,

Here you go:
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/t3ddftw/BlueBus/bluebus_99_percent_1.jpg
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/t3ddftw/BlueBus/bluebus_99_percent_2.jpg

stephenkirsh
05-03-2019, 07:36 PM
No issues with playback or rebooting the head unit?

t3ddftw
05-03-2019, 07:43 PM

I'll leave it playing all the way through tonight. I only listened to the first five minutes or so.

t3ddftw
05-05-2019, 03:33 PM

No issues with playback using an iPhone 6S via the Podcast app. :)

stephenkirsh
05-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Nice. Thank you!

Will
05-20-2019, 09:12 PM
Just posting Ted's update from m3f (original thread here (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340&page=36)). I'm still excited for this product, regardless of the additional lead time.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates -- life has been super busy lately! In terms of the BlueBus, I am currently working on getting a prototype laid out for the newest revision which adds the following features:

1. Full emulation of the factory TCU from a hardware standpoint
2. A standard 3.5mm audio jack to use with a standard microphone (such as the GROM's).
3. Built-in circuitry to power the OE mic, to do away with the requirement for the "Microphone Adapter".

I expect to have this done by next week.

I'm also working to source Clear Voice Capture licenses for the BC127 Bluetooth module, which is proving harder than I anticipated. My options are an 8 week lead time to have Sierra Wireless build the modules with the license built in, or wading through the murky waters to get the license directly from Qualcomm, which is what I'm currently working on.

Additionally, I'm packing up to move the family from Las Vegas, NV to Southern Ohio in a couple weeks, so that has thrown a wrench in my time-frames. I'm hoping to be ready to take money mid-June and then send the boards off for manufacture. If I don't have to wait for Sierra Wireless to build the modules, then it should be a three week turn around, otherwise I will have to incentivize prospective users to let me old onto their money for 11 weeks or so, then take the money I make there to have more units made.

The 8 week lead time also poses a problem in that I need to pre-pay for the modules, which will be around $7,000 worth.

I'll send an email out to all prospective customers once I have a solid plan for manufacture, which should be in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!
-Ted

Dual
05-21-2019, 12:27 PM
In my experience these things tend to concatenate, esp. if featuritis is not kept in check.

Anyone here know what "Full emulation of the factory TCU from a hardware standpoint" means? I don't know what the TCU is.

t3ddftw
05-21-2019, 01:51 PM
Just posting Ted's update from m3f (original thread here (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340&page=36)). I'm still excited for this product, regardless of the additional lead time.

Thanks for posting this! Another small update to add:

After some arm twisting, Future Electronics is working on fulfilling my order for the Qualcomm Clear Voice Capture licenses that I need. Once I verify they are viable, I'll be good to go as far as manufacturing obstacles are concerned. Still working on the "Rev C" and I'm moving to Ohio this weekend, so life is busy! Still hoping to be ready to take real orders sometime next month, but I will post back if there are any further delays.

In my experience these things tend to concatenate, esp. if featuritis is not kept in check.

Anyone here know what "Full emulation of the factory TCU from a hardware standpoint" means? I don't know what the TCU is.

The featuritis is being kept relatively in check! I have started to push back on extra features on the software side for now, at least until the product is launched. It should do its primary job correctly before it can juggle and do backflips ;)

The TCU is the factory telematics control unit -- it is what powered "BMW Assist" as well as the old Motorola "StarTac" / "Nokia" cradles that you could install in the armrest. In the newer cars, it also provided factory hands-free Bluetooth calling (if equipped).

What I'm adding to the BlueBus is the circuitry required to both "mute" the radio/Bluetooth/CD when a call comes in and push that call audio out to the vehicle. That way, calls can be taken regardless of the status of the BlueBus.

-Ted

Will
05-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the additional updates, Ted. Best wishes for your move to Ohio. Drive safely (if driving)!

t3ddftw
05-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the additional updates, Ted. Best wishes for your move to Ohio. Drive safely (if driving)!

Thanks, Will! We're driving the wife's Ford Edge with our 15 month old daughter and three year old German Shepherd Dog -- lots of precious cargo on board! Our belongings are being moved by a professional company, so at least we're not making the 1,900 mile drive in a U-Haul :)

YoitsTmac
06-17-2019, 02:44 AM
Does this require a head unit that supported factory bluetooth? Does anything display other than "Bluetooth" on non nav unit during audio playback or calls? And a standard mic can be used?

az3579
06-17-2019, 07:43 AM
Does anything display other than "Bluetooth" on non nav unit during audio playback or calls?

Scroll up a bit for the answer... :)
He's got some pictures that show what it looks like for a podcast that was being discussed.

t3ddftw
06-17-2019, 08:16 AM
Does this require a head unit that supported factory bluetooth? Does anything display other than "Bluetooth" on non nav unit during audio playback or calls? And a standard mic can be used?

For CD53 users, you will need a head unit that supported the factory Telematics Control Unit (BMW Assist / Telephone unit). I've only run into a single unit that didn't support it, and it was a 2002 CD53 from a Mini Cooper R50. No one that has tested a unit has had issues with an E46 CD53.

It displays Metadata for the song currently playing whilst in playback mode, and it will (currently doesn't) display caller ID info when you're getting / on a call.

It depends on what you define as a standard mic. You will need to either equip the car with the BMW OE Microphone or run a microphone like GROM sells (with a 3.5mm output) to the trunk and into the unit.

Hope this helps!

-Ted

YoitsTmac
06-29-2019, 01:55 PM
Hey Ted, yes this works. Now that I'm on a computer I see how silly my first questions was. I pre-ordered and couldn't be more excited. I've already prewired a nice a mic down the A pillar. I can finally say goodbye to the most ghetto bluetooth and aux setup ever. Although my car is an 03/01 build, I have a radio from a 2005 :)

edit. The mic has to connect in the rear? Can't be plug + and - directly to the radio? for a standard 3.5mm mic?

t3ddftw
06-29-2019, 03:31 PM
Hey Ted, yes this works. Now that I'm on a computer I see how silly my first questions was. I pre-ordered and couldn't be more excited. I've already prewired a nice a mic down the A pillar. I can finally say goodbye to the most ghetto bluetooth and aux setup ever. Although my car is an 03/01 build, I have a radio from a 2005 :)

edit. The mic has to connect in the rear? Can't be plug + and - directly to the radio? for a standard 3.5mm mic?

Hey!

Unfortunately, you have to connect your Mic directly to the BlueBus unit. You could actually just hijack the factory microphone pre-wiring if you were so inclined, as that terminates in the trunk.

Otherwise, you could install the BlueBus in the glove box, but that's not really recommended as you would have to make a lot of your own connections...

Honestly, using the OE Mic is the best solution and will give you the best quality. They can be had for $20 - $30 USD on eBay :)

Thanks!
-Ted

YoitsTmac
07-27-2019, 10:30 PM
Hey!

Unfortunately, you have to connect your Mic directly to the BlueBus unit. You could actually just hijack the factory microphone pre-wiring if you were so inclined, as that terminates in the trunk.

Otherwise, you could install the BlueBus in the glove box, but that's not really recommended as you would have to make a lot of your own connections...

Honestly, using the OE Mic is the best solution and will give you the best quality. They can be had for $20 - $30 USD on eBay :)

Thanks!
-Ted
I ended up buying an OE mic. I'm curious if you have any update for everyone.

t3ddftw
07-28-2019, 05:45 AM
I ended up buying an OE mic. I'm curious if you have any update for everyone.

Awesome! I finished the newest revision and I'm waiting on the boards to arrive for testing. I had a run made a couple weeks ago but there were some issues with the USB connector I chose, and I decided to change other aspects of the design at that point (no new features, just changing the way things were wired and speaking to each other).

New boards should be going to beta testers this week! :)

NorCalZman
07-28-2019, 03:58 PM
Interesting video on the first post. I did not read all 3 pages of replies so sorry if anything was said/asked already.

I have factory nav in my 05 330i, and probably like many owners, I scrounged up the various OEM parts needed to retrofit Bluetooth calling into the stock head unit. Also, I have a cheap/simple Bluetooth streaming dongle plugged into the back of the Nav headunit which gives me wireless music streaming. If I am understanding this correctly, your device would replace both of these systems via plugging into the 6 disc wiring in our trunks and work through that. Thus we would be either be unplugging or just not using our OEM BT and/or AUX modes after install, correct?

For those of us that have already gone through all this, the benefits of your system would be an OEM like integration of BT calling AND BT music streaming, along with one BT connection instead of two like my set up. Any other benefits we should know about?

What version of BT will the device use? Are we up to 5.0 now? Hard to keep up with all the numbers. Hah. I believe my AUX dongle uses 4.2

Does it need a BT antenna of some kind? If so, where? I remember installing the OEM antenna under the arm rest during my BT calling retrofit

Depending on the cost and assuming good reliability/quality, I might be interested in something like that.

YoitsTmac
07-28-2019, 04:06 PM
Awesome! I finished the newest revision and I'm waiting on the boards to arrive for testing. I had a run made a couple weeks ago but there were some issues with the USB connector I chose, and I decided to change other aspects of the design at that point (no new features, just changing the way things were wired and speaking to each other).

New boards should be going to beta testers this week! :)

Sounds fantastic, thanks for being so speedy with your replies. Can’t wait for it to exit beta, I’m so stoked for this! Improvements are always great. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

t3ddftw
07-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Interesting video on the first post. I did not read all 3 pages of replies so sorry if anything was said/asked already.

I have factory nav in my 05 330i, and probably like many owners, I scrounged up the various OEM parts needed to retrofit Bluetooth calling into the stock head unit. Also, I have a cheap/simple Bluetooth streaming dongle plugged into the back of the Nav headunit which gives me wireless music streaming. If I am understanding this correctly, your device would replace both of these systems via plugging into the 6 disc wiring in our trunks and work through that. Thus we would be either be unplugging or just not using our OEM BT and/or AUX modes after install, correct?

For those of us that have already gone through all this, the benefits of your system would be an OEM like integration of BT calling AND BT music streaming, along with one BT connection instead of two like my set up. Any other benefits we should know about?

What version of BT will the device use? Are we up to 5.0 now? Hard to keep up with all the numbers. Hah. I believe my AUX dongle uses 4.2

Does it need a BT antenna of some kind? If so, where? I remember installing the OEM antenna under the arm rest during my BT calling retrofit

Depending on the cost and assuming good reliability/quality, I might be interested in something like that.

No worries -- I wouldn't want to read all three pages either :P

Yes, my unit would replace both the OE Bluetooth and the AUX BT Dongle. You can always keep the OE BT if you like it more, and simply disable that side of the BlueBus.

Other benefits include extra features, such as "Comfort" One touch blinkers and other goodies that are in the works, such as clock auto syncing based on the GPS time.

The BlueBus uses a BC127 BT module internally which supports BT 5.0 (5.1 is the latest, and it was just introduced in January of 2019).

The unit has a built in antenna, so you won't need to worry about sourcing or making use of the existing antennas.

It should also be noted that to fully utilize the OE Phone integration, you will need to either tap or de-pin six wires from the OE 54-pin Bluetooth module harness. The install instructions will speak more to that, but you need to source:

1. Telephone Audio +
2. Telephone Audio -
3. Telephone On/Alive
4. Telephone Radio Mute
5. Microphone +
6. Microphone -

Unfortunately the 54 pin connector is NLA by Siemens, and thus not available for integration on the PCB, so this part of the install will be "less plug and play" as you will need to source those signals and install them into a connector which will come with the BlueBus.

Sounds fantastic, thanks for being so speedy with your replies. Can’t wait for it to exit beta, I’m so stoked for this! Improvements are always great. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! Even though there are existing BT solutions for this car, none of them truly satisfied my requirements, so I'm stoked to have this too :)!

NorCalZman
07-28-2019, 04:39 PM
Ahhhh ok. I wondered if there might end up being a bit more to do to get the OE phone features like muting music for a phone call if you were listening to the AM/FM radio, etc. fair enough. Well, I will watch whatever full feature walkthrough and install videos you end up making to see how these little details work.

I am mainly happy with my set up considering the car is 15 years old, except for the fact I do have to touch my iphone to control the music since the BT dongle is simple streaming through the AUX jack and not the controls. I have a pretty cool mount that places the phone right next to my nav screen (forget the name but I am sure we are all familiar with it) that makes it relatively simple to press forward/pause/etc. Sounds like your unit would let me control it through the headunit or steering wheel controls which would be even nicer.

Since I have the OE BT calling set up already I might take your suggestion and leave that disabled on your device.

Now that we are talking about this, I think I already have a device set up via my 6 disc changer. It’s called an Intravee, and you plugged your iPods into it and were able to control it through the stock head unit. It’s a pretty neat device but who uses a iPod these days (I moved to BT streaming via my iphone/AUX dongle anyway). The creator (whom I believe passed away a number of years ago) added some cool features though: it kept logs of your drives, speed, max RPM, etc. I guess it was good for keep an eye on valets and mechanics who drove your car. On E39s he also made it so it would sound an audible alarm through the speaker if your coolant temp went past a certain point (I dont think he was able to get it to work on E46s).

if you are interested I can send you some screen shots of the interface/driving log set up he created for it, though google and YouTube probably have that. Edit: saw you mention it in your other thread so nevermind! Wasn’t sure anyone still knew about that device. It’s pretty neat.

t3ddftw
07-30-2019, 06:20 AM
Yup, you can easily control playback from the stock controls, which is a huge plus, IMO.

You should know, the Intravee and the BlueBus are wholly incompatible because we both hook into the IBus as a CD Changer emulator. With that said, I have an Intravee on hand that I use for testing and pointing me in the "right direction" when trying to implement extra functionality :)

Thanks!
-Ted

NorCalZman
07-30-2019, 09:26 AM
Yup, Thanks. I figured I would have to remove the intravee if I went with your solution. I am fine with that if I do. I believe it was the Intravee and an Alpine Ai-net module that I will have to take out. Maybe I can sell them to some iPod enthusiast, hah. I honestly do not use the Intravee any longer because I do not have an iPod/use the AUX BT streaming.

Would be nice to have some of Intravee’s neat features AND have BT streaming, which yours will does.

I saw on your other thread the BlueBus will definitely shut itself off after awhile (doesn’t most of the car go inactive after like 15 minutes?), which is good. My car can sit for a week or two at a time (I dont commute for work) so not having a dead battery is really important! Test test test

t3ddftw
07-30-2019, 10:20 AM
Yup, Thanks. I figured I would have to remove the intravee if I went with your solution. I am fine with that if I do. I believe it was the Intravee and an Alpine Ai-net module that I will have to take out. Maybe I can sell them to some iPod enthusiast, hah. I honestly do not use the Intravee any longer because I do not have an iPod/use the AUX BT streaming.

Would be nice to have some of Intravee’s neat features AND have BT streaming, which yours will does.

I saw on your other thread the BlueBus will definitely shut itself off after awhile (doesn’t most of the car go inactive after like 15 minutes?), which is good. My car can sit for a week or two at a time (I dont commute for work) so not having a dead battery is really important! Test test test

There are plenty of E39 owners who go "gaga" over the Intravee -- try forum.bmw5.co.uk :)

Yeah, I'm not likely going to go all out in terms of lighting functionality, but comfort blinkers are implemented and come home lighting is something I'm looking into -- great for finding your car in a dense parking lot.

The plan is to have the BlueBus shut itself off after a user-defined time period. The Intravee uses 61 seconds, which I think is far too quick, so 15 minutes will likely be the default. Most of the car does power itself off after 15 minutes, which is why the MKIV sometimes comes on immediately and other times sits at the splash screen for a while :). I, too, hardly ever commute, so I'll be the first to know if the auto-shutdown isn't working!

On the other hand, I've left the BlueBus in my car for a week and a half without shutting off and everything was fine. Current draw when idle is about 30mA, and closer to 100mA when all the bells and whistles are going off. At these rates, it should take about 1-2 months for it to fully drain a battery, but why draw power if we don't have to? :)

Thanks!
-Ted

YoitsTmac
07-30-2019, 08:04 PM
Ted, all cool updates but I have to ask: as a lame millennial, I do all my ,Edina needs through my phone and therefore via Bluetooth. How intrusive would my tap in be? And is phone calls and Bluetooth audio under two separate modes? And I forget if you mentioned, but are voice assistants possible through the wheel? I believe you said so.

Finally, a good point with wake and power draw. With your setup, will the unit turn off in key position 0, or after a sleep timer? I’m not sure if I fully following the discussion below, but it sounds like the unit will be on for a period of time rather than tied to key position. I only ask because I personally find it annoying if I lock my car and go inside but I’m still connected to my car and can’t hear notifications or videos because it’s still paired to my car.

t3ddftw
07-31-2019, 05:49 AM
Ted, all cool updates but I have to ask: as a lame millennial, I do all my ,Edina needs through my phone and therefore via Bluetooth. How intrusive would my tap in be? And is phone calls and Bluetooth audio under two separate modes? And I forget if you mentioned, but are voice assistants possible through the wheel? I believe you said so.

Finally, a good point with wake and power draw. With your setup, will the unit turn off in key position 0, or after a sleep timer? I’m not sure if I fully following the discussion below, but it sounds like the unit will be on for a period of time rather than tied to key position. I only ask because I personally find it annoying if I lock my car and go inside but I’m still connected to my car and can’t hear notifications or videos because it’s still paired to my car.

Tapping the six signal wires can either be intrusive or not, depending on how you go about it. My recommendation is to get a small "pick" and use it to work the contacts out of the housing for the 54 pin connector. From there, they simply slide into the provided connector, which then slides into the BlueBus.

I'm unsure what you're getting at when you ask if BT calling and streaming are two different modes -- they're different BT profiles and can be used independently of one another. BT calling will work in any radio more, or with the radio off, provided that you install the six signals into the BlueBus (which is optional, of course).

Voice assistants can be activated via the "Talking head" button on the steering wheel.

As it stands now, the unit never sleeps. However, it automatically disconnects Bluetooth when it sees the ignition off message on the IBus. Similarly, it enables connectivity and starts scanning for devices when it gets the "Ignition on" message.

With that said, the sleep timer is purely to save power :).

Thanks!
-Ted

az3579
07-31-2019, 07:32 AM
After it goes into power save, what is the "bootup" time of the device? I would imagine it's near instantaneous, but don't want to assume. :)
By "bootup" time, I'm referring to the time it takes for it to be fully functional and automatically connect to Bluetooth.

t3ddftw
07-31-2019, 07:58 AM
After it goes into power save, what is the "bootup" time of the device? I would imagine it's near instantaneous, but don't want to assume. :)
By "bootup" time, I'm referring to the time it takes for it to be fully functional and automatically connect to Bluetooth.

Right now, it connects in under twenty seconds, usually less than ten. However, that number can fluctuate based on how many paired devices there are (as it tries to scan for all of them) and how your phone feels about connecting to Bluetooth that day. I have found that some phones (usually of the `i` variety) don't like to open profiles immediately, which can make it take up to 45 seconds to fully establish a connection.

NorCalZman
07-31-2019, 03:04 PM
Right now, it connects in under twenty seconds, usually less than ten. However, that number can fluctuate based on how many paired devices there are (as it tries to scan for all of them) and how your phone feels about connecting to Bluetooth that day. I have found that some phones (usually of the `i` variety) don't like to open profiles immediately, which can make it take up to 45 seconds to fully establish a connection.

I totally get this. One of the iPhone updates have totally made connecting to my BT dongle a chore, especially if I am running errands and walk to and from the car multiple times in a short period of time. The iPhone will connect to the dongle but when I try to play audio through it, it will not, nor will it show the option in the BT push menu. I have to turn off BT and turn it back on then reconnect to the dongle. I didn't have to do that previously. Im wondering if thats because my BT dongle (which is a few years old now) is "less compatible" with the newer iOS versions, or if the dongle is just wearing out. Perhaps this issue will be resolved with a fresh BT device.

Also, my BT dongle is powered by the flashlight plug in the glovebox, so I wonder if it starts getting power when I unlock the car as I am walking towards it. I find that (when it wants to behave), my phone is connected and ready to go as soon as I sit in the seat. Does the CD system harness start getting power when the doors are unlocked or is does it depend on the key?

and yes I fully support a deep sleep mode. Every little bit of power draw we can save when the car sits for a week or two at a time is ideal.

t3ddftw
07-31-2019, 07:09 PM
I totally get this. One of the iPhone updates have totally made connecting to my BT dongle a chore, especially if I am running errands and walk to and from the car multiple times in a short period of time. The iPhone will connect to the dongle but when I try to play audio through it, it will not, nor will it show the option in the BT push menu. I have to turn off BT and turn it back on then reconnect to the dongle. I didn't have to do that previously. Im wondering if thats because my BT dongle (which is a few years old now) is "less compatible" with the newer iOS versions, or if the dongle is just wearing out. Perhaps this issue will be resolved with a fresh BT device.

Also, my BT dongle is powered by the flashlight plug in the glovebox, so I wonder if it starts getting power when I unlock the car as I am walking towards it. I find that (when it wants to behave), my phone is connected and ready to go as soon as I sit in the seat. Does the CD system harness start getting power when the doors are unlocked or is does it depend on the key?

and yes I fully support a deep sleep mode. Every little bit of power draw we can save when the car sits for a week or two at a time is ideal.

Funny, the BlueBus has similar troubles to what you describe, except I've written code to handle it gracefully. Essentially, the BT connection will open up, but the A2DP profile will continually fail to "open". My fix is to keep retrying until it succeeds (which is when it can take up to 45 seconds to connect). It's likely the Bluetooth stack on the iOS side that is buggy, rather than a deficiency/issue with your dongle.

The CD Changer harness is continuously powered as long as there is a battery with a charge in the car :). Most modules in the car are responsible for killing their own power until an IBus message is received (such as the door unlock message), which is why when something on IBus goes awry it can present itself as your battery dying within a couple hours.

The nav infotainment electronics pull 2.5A just by themselves!

YoitsTmac
08-07-2019, 12:42 AM
All good stuff, looking forward to the release!

NorCalZman
10-08-2019, 10:21 AM
I saw your update on the M3 forum and it looks like you are going to include a lot of neat features. Hope you are still monitoring this thread for those of us here. I am wondering, regarding your reprogramming of the soft touch blink count, if you have tested this on cars who have already updated their system for 3 blinks. For example, can cars that have 3 blinks go to 5 blinks with your system? Or is is only going to work for cars that do not already have multiple blinks set up?

I ask because I had a friend update mine to 3 blinks but I think it would be safer/better to have 5 blinks.

Also, you mentioned being able to display speed on the Nav screen. Cool....but I think what would be more useful to E46 owners would be temperature for stuff like coolant.

stephenkirsh
10-08-2019, 11:04 AM
+1 for temps

t3ddftw
10-08-2019, 11:26 AM
I saw your update on the M3 forum and it looks like you are going to include a lot of neat features. Hope you are still monitoring this thread for those of us here. I am wondering, regarding your reprogramming of the soft touch blink count, if you have tested this on cars who have already updated their system for 3 blinks. For example, can cars that have 3 blinks go to 5 blinks with your system? Or is is only going to work for cars that do not already have multiple blinks set up?

I ask because I had a friend update mine to 3 blinks but I think it would be safer/better to have 5 blinks.

Also, you mentioned being able to display speed on the Nav screen. Cool....but I think what would be more useful to E46 owners would be temperature for stuff like coolant.

I haven't forgotten about you guys! I just have way too many forum posts keep up with :help

I actually have no idea how the car will respond to the triple blink feature if the LCM already supports it. I suspect that it will work flawlessly, as the BlueBus simply "counts" the number of blink messages until the requisite amount is seen, so each of the three blinks would be seen, then the BlueBus should keep the diagnostic session alive until five are seen. My M3 has a triple blink capable LCM, so I'll load up NCSExpert sometime soon and enable the feature for testing.

I've also been considering allowing you to set the number of blinks anywhere from one to ten.

Coolant temp is certainly available, oil temperature is not unless you have a non-M E39 :)

I'm struggling on how to I would display this data for Business Radio users, as that display is limited to 11 characters :/

-Ted

Aethir30
10-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Ted, I know you're a crazy busy man. I greatly appreciate all you're doing, I'm just curious if you have a new timeframe?

t3ddftw
10-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Ted, I know you're a crazy busy man. I greatly appreciate all you're doing, I'm just curious if you have a new timeframe?

Thanks!

I'm looking to kick off manufacture within the month of October. I'm waiting on some quotes from a Korean fab house and a couple of U.S. fabs. I got a quote for $88/piece from a China house yesterday, but thanks to the Trump Tariffs, those would end up costing me just as much as having it assembled in the U.S. (~$111/piece).

-Ted

NorCalZman
10-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Don’t let good be the enemy of perfect. At least let us Nav screen owners have the coolant temp! You know how we E46 owners are traumatized about stories of overheating. Haha. If we can figure out how to let our business radio owners join us, then cool!

thanks for looking into the triple blink thing. Let us know how it goes. Not sure about the M3 crew, but a lot of ZHP owners have upgraded their modules and set up triple blink.

t3ddftw
10-08-2019, 04:43 PM
Don’t let good be the enemy of perfect. At least let us Nav screen owners have the coolant temp! You know how we E46 owners are traumatized about stories of overheating. Haha. If we can figure out how to let our business radio owners join us, then cool!

thanks for looking into the triple blink thing. Let us know how it goes. Not sure about the M3 crew, but a lot of ZHP owners have upgraded their modules and set up triple blink.

Yes, my M3 used to croak in the desert heat with the A/C on :(

I'm thinking I can make a few different "display modes" for Business CD users -- Metadata mode, OBC mode with Speed, RPM, Coolant Temp and regular "Time" mode.

Thanks!
-Ted

das boots
10-14-2019, 09:01 AM
Ted...Sent you PM.

t3ddftw
10-14-2019, 09:36 AM
Ted...Sent you PM.

Replied :)

Overboost
10-18-2019, 03:20 PM
For example, can cars that have 3 blinks go to 5 blinks with your system? Or is is only going to work for cars that do not already have multiple blinks set up?

You can program up to 7 blinks with the factory LCM and NCS Expert and NCS Dummy.

Basically, open up the LSZ.C36 (if 4.0) or LSZ.C37 (4.5) file with NCS Dummy without loading any FSW_PSW files, go down to cycle_ti_blk, right click it, and click "add parameter". Name it whatever you want, and under data put the number of blinks you want (maximum is 7). Then click on module -> update module.

You should be able to use that new parameter when coding the LSZ now.

t3ddftw
10-18-2019, 06:24 PM
You can program up to 7 blinks with the factory LCM and NCS Expert and NCS Dummy.

Basically, open up the LSZ.C36 (if 4.0) or LSZ.C37 (4.5) file with NCS Dummy without loading any FSW_PSW files, go down to cycle_ti_blk, right click it, and click "add parameter". Name it whatever you want, and under data put the number of blinks you want (maximum is 7). Then click on module -> update module.

If you have an LSZ with firmware < 4.0 but >= 3.6, I can flash it with SW 4.7 to allow coding triple blink, FWIW. PM me.

NorCalZman
10-20-2019, 06:29 AM

I use a Mac, so I cannot reprogram my BMW. My (new) LCM was shipped to me preprogrammed with 3 blink already.

Overboost
10-20-2019, 07:21 AM
I use a Mac, so I cannot reprogram my BMW. My (new) LCM was shipped to me preprogrammed with 3 blink already.

You could use an emulator like Boot Camp to run Windows programs on your Mac. Or just have one of the guys out there do it for you. Takes about 5 minutes. I have mine set to 5 blinks.

t3ddftw
10-20-2019, 09:48 AM
You could use an emulator like Boot Camp to run Windows programs on your Mac. Or just have one of the guys out there do it for you. Takes about 5 minutes. I have mine set to 5 blinks.

Parallels would be a better option, then you never have to leave the comfort of macOS :)

stephenkirsh
10-21-2019, 09:44 AM
I’m not sure Boot Camp is even supported by Apple anymore.

das boots
10-23-2019, 09:32 PM
Finally got done reading the whole M3 Forum Thread. I have now a better understanding of the BlueBus build by Ted.

das boots
11-19-2019, 08:00 PM
Ted taking orders for the BlueBus..

Placed my order.

t3ddftw
11-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Ted taking orders for the BlueBus..

Thanks for the update! I always forget about my ZHP peeps :(

I need a secretary just to handle my Forum posting! Hahaha.

az3579
11-20-2019, 04:51 AM
Damn. About 2 months too late. :(

t3ddftw
11-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Damn. About 2 months too late. :(

Awh, did you go AVIN? If so, how much do you like it?

YoitsTmac
11-20-2019, 12:53 PM
I read the email but am a little unclear. So roughly when will these ship out? I only ask because I'm a college student and if I'm on winter break, I'd be at one address and if I'm back in class, I'm 600 miles away at another address.

t3ddftw
11-20-2019, 12:56 PM
I read the email but am a little unclear. So roughly when will these ship out? I only ask because I'm a college student and if I'm on winter break, I'd be at one address and if I'm back in class, I'm 600 miles away at another address.

Howdy!

They will be ready to ship the first couple weeks of January. If you'd like, just pop in "123 I DO NOT KNOW RD" as your address and I'll reach out via email when I'm ready to ship and see that address :)

YoitsTmac
11-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Thanks Ted. Just sent you an email. I'm honestly so excited I just placed my order. When I wrote my question, I only thought of stealing it from the mailman for immediate install, I forgot it could sit in the mailbox if need be.

So what are the features included? Bluetooth music and headset integration with steering wheel controls. Were there additional features added? There was some talk in this thread about triple blink (a feature I have). Can't wait to show this puppy off.

t3ddftw
11-20-2019, 01:26 PM
Thanks Ted. Just sent you an email. I'm honestly so excited I just placed my order. When I wrote my question, I only thought of stealing it from the mailman for immediate install, I forgot it could sit in the mailbox if need be.

So what are the features included? Bluetooth music and headset integration with steering wheel controls. Were there additional features added? There was some talk in this thread about triple blink (a feature I have). Can't wait to show this puppy off.

Haha, all good!

Right now it can:

* Play music

* Respond to the steering wheel controls

* Display on the OE screens

* Emulate the TCU (so you can take/make calls when listening to the radio, and not BT)

* 3/5 comfort blink

Soon it will also be able to auto-fold your mirrors when you park, but that's obviously for vehicles equipped with folding mirrors only.

There's more in the works, and I even discovered that I can do some pretty extensive coding through the IBus, so that will be fun :D

Thanks!
-Ted

NorCalZman
11-20-2019, 02:02 PM
You confirmed you can "upgrade" from 3 blink (which some of us ZHP owners have done) to 5 blinks with your device right? I thought you were gong to test that to make sure there was no issue or conflict or something. Am I remembering that correctly?

Also thanks for going back and forth me with over email last night regarding the newer style microphone. I now remember even further back that I had asked you if I could just keep the stock phone set up and use the bluebus for bluetooth music streaming only and you said yes so thats what I will do. The newer microphone wont be an issue at all that way.

Also, so everyone knows, he has directions for updgrading the firmware with mac via command line so that is an option for those of us that only use macs. Maybe a UI app at some point.

Any plans to have a walk through demo video of the various system features working on a nav equipped car?

az3579
11-20-2019, 03:12 PM
Awh, did you go AVIN? If so, how much do you like it?

No, I was looking at this for the blue touring I picked up a couple of months ago. I ended up with a Dension Gateway BT Lite for that one. I would prefer yours but I can't bring myself to spend money again on something I already have. :(

t3ddftw
11-20-2019, 04:14 PM
You confirmed you can "upgrade" from 3 blink (which some of us ZHP owners have done) to 5 blinks with your device right? I thought you were gong to test that to make sure there was no issue or conflict or something. Am I remembering that correctly?

Also thanks for going back and forth me with over email last night regarding the newer style microphone. I now remember even further back that I had asked you if I could just keep the stock phone set up and use the bluebus for bluetooth music streaming only and you said yes so thats what I will do. The newer microphone wont be an issue at all that way.

Also, so everyone knows, he has directions for updgrading the firmware with mac via command line so that is an option for those of us that only use macs. Maybe a UI app at some point.

Any plans to have a walk through demo video of the various system features working on a nav equipped car?

I have not gotten around to testing that, unfortunately. I can, however, code your LCM from the BlueBus, so that might be another avenue to explore. I will probably end up sending someone with comfort blinkers already coded a BlueBus to test it with. I've honestly never coded it, and even though I have NCSExpert and a cable, I probably don't find the time x_x

You're welcome! I had no idea that was you :)

Yep -- "If you like your OE BT, you can keep it" :P

Here's the documentation wiki, for those interested: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus/wiki

Not all of it is up to date, btw.

No, I was looking at this for the blue touring I picked up a couple of months ago. I ended up with a Dension Gateway BT Lite for that one. I would prefer yours but I can't bring myself to spend money again on something I already have. :(

Sell the one bought and buy a BlueBus? :P

az3579
11-20-2019, 04:23 PM
I will probably end up sending someone with comfort blinkers already coded a BlueBus to test it with. I've honestly never coded it, and even though I have NCSExpert and a cable, I probably don't find the time x_x

Hey, if you need a tester, I'd be happy to test it and send it back when done. I'm very familiar with coding and can turn it off to test the BlueBus.

Sell the one bought and buy a BlueBus? :P

Something tells me I won't really find a buyer for it - at least not anywhere close to what I paid for it! lol
I'll probably upgrade sometime next year. I'm also curious to see what features will be introduced in the future. :)

t3ddftw
11-20-2019, 05:27 PM
Hey, if you need a tester, I'd be happy to test it and send it back when done. I'm very familiar with coding and can turn it off to test the BlueBus.

Something tells me I won't really find a buyer for it - at least not anywhere close to what I paid for it! lol
I'll probably upgrade sometime next year. I'm also curious to see what features will be introduced in the future. :)

I may take you up on that! I would want you to test _with_ the coding set :)

Shoot me an email at tass2001@gmail.com, please.

NorCalZman
11-20-2019, 05:42 PM

Yeah just to be clear, his device can be set to have 3 blink or 5 blink. Some of us, me included, upgraded our LCM and had 3 blink coded already. I dont think 3 blink is enough and I was asking if I set the bluebus to 5 blink would it work okay with cars that already have 3 blinks coded.

das boots
11-20-2019, 05:58 PM
Yep -- "If you like your OE BT, you can keep it" :P

Ted....You mean we do not need to get the 338? That's good news.

Also, do we still need to preset this first prior to install or they come plug & play?

Thanks.

YoitsTmac
11-20-2019, 06:05 PM
Here's the documentation wiki, for those interested: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus/wiki

Not all of it is up to date, btw.
Will this link or some form of instruction be included with the kit?

And for the display on the OE screen, I assume song name? Ugh I'm getting excited just thinking about it. Thanks again for all your work. Excited to see where this goes

az3579
11-21-2019, 04:44 AM
I may take you up on that! I would want you to test _with_ the coding set :)

Shoot me an email at tass2001@gmail.com, please.

Sent. :thumbsup

Yeah just to be clear, his device can be set to have 3 blink or 5 blink. Some of us, me included, upgraded our LCM and had 3 blink coded already. I dont think 3 blink is enough and I was asking if I set the bluebus to 5 blink would it work okay with cars that already have 3 blinks coded.

I have 5 blinks coded on mine, but can adjust it to whatever number necessary for testing.

Overboost
11-21-2019, 05:51 AM
Haha, all good!

Right now it can:

* Play music

* Respond to the steering wheel controls

* Display on the OE screens

* Emulate the TCU (so you can take/make calls when listening to the radio, and not BT)

* 3/5 comfort blink

Soon it will also be able to auto-fold your mirrors when you park, but that's obviously for vehicles equipped with folding mirrors only.

There's more in the works, and I even discovered that I can do some pretty extensive coding through the IBus, so that will be fun :D

Thanks!
-Ted

One suggestion on the E53 X5 LCI. If you can send the kbus message to fire the halo lights at key on, you will provide a feature that has only been accomplished with the Rolf Resler iBus adapter. It was the main reason I went with the Avin Avant-4 Android in that car. For years people with the LCI E53 have tried and tried to get those halos as DRL with no results and some resorting to rewiring them. You should be able to clean-up with the BlueBus with that feature over on the Xoutpost site.

I am running the factory MKIV navigation in my E46 with CD changer and will definitely be ordering the BlueBus for the E46 and pulling the outdated CD changer when it is ready. I already have the comfort blink (5) programmed in my LCM, folding mirrors on key fob and I am very happy with my ULF TCU so the A2DP steaming feature would be all I need.

Aethir30
11-21-2019, 06:00 AM
Order placed. Been patiently waiting for this and I'm glad I did!

cakM3
11-21-2019, 10:39 AM
I will be placing my order for this tomorrow :)

t3ddftw
12-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Hey guys,

Bit late to posting here, but Ryan @ E39Source did a review on the BlueBus he has had for 8 months :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnJSSnYYfyE

das boots
12-05-2019, 08:31 PM
Ted....Thank Ryan for the video. Is there a Beta video using the BMW Business Radio?

Thanks.

t3ddftw
12-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Ted....Thank Ryan for the video. Is there a Beta video using the BMW Business Radio?

Thanks.

Not beyond the video on bluebus.dev :/. I'm certainly not as good a film maker as Ryan, so I know it's nowhere near as good :D

NorCalZman
12-06-2019, 12:12 PM
yeah that was a great video to give us an idea of what the UI will look like. Really looking forward to it.

t3ddftw
12-06-2019, 12:31 PM
yeah that was a great video to give us an idea of what the UI will look like. Really looking forward to it.

Yeah, Ryan is way better at film making than I am :)

I just posted this over at M3F, but here's a plug and play solution I have come up with for E46/Z4 owners in terms of the TCU hookups. It will be offered as a DIY kit at cost, or as a complete unit for a good bit more (it takes me a half hour to make one, and that kinda sucks when I have 400 units to ship out!).

https://t3ddftw.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/BlueBus/IMG_20191206_142546.jpg

Aethir30
12-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Yeah, Ryan is way better at film making than I am :)

I just posted this over at M3F, but here's a plug and play solution I have come up with for E46/Z4 owners in terms of the TCU hookups. It will be offered as a DIY kit at cost, or as a complete unit for a good bit more (it takes me a half hour to make one, and that kinda sucks when I have 400 units to ship out!).

https://t3ddftw.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/BlueBus/IMG_20191206_142546.jpgForgive my ignorance, but would I need this if I only have the business class radio?

t3ddftw
12-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but would I need this if I only have the business class radio?

You don't need it, it just makes life easier if you want to add the "telephone" integration (wherein the the BlueBus acts like the factory phone).

Thanks!
-Ted

BMWM3186
12-06-2019, 02:00 PM
You don't need it, it just makes life easier if you want to add the "telephone" integration (wherein the the BlueBus acts like the factory phone).

Thanks!
-Ted

If I understand correctly it will still be able to have phone call integration, just not over FM, AM without this connector correct? Ive pre ordered one. What else will I need to get it fully functional? the OEM mic 338?

t3ddftw
12-06-2019, 02:06 PM
If I understand correctly it will still be able to have phone call integration, just not over FM, AM without this connector correct? Ive pre ordered one. What else will I need to get it fully functional? the OEM mic 338?

Hey!

If you don't want the adapter, you still need to bring over the two mic signals to the BlueBus. You can accomplish this by simply de-pinning those wires from the 54 pin connector, or any other sort of wire trickery. I will include the right connector with your order free of charge if you do not want to buy the plug and play harness. The other four wires are what allow you to take calls in any mode.

Also, yeah you'll need that 338 mic too!

-Ted

BMWM3186
12-06-2019, 02:13 PM
Hey!

If you don't want the adapter, you still need to bring over the two mic signals to the BlueBus. You can accomplish this by simply de-pinning those wires from the 54 pin connector, or any other sort of wire trickery. I will include the right connector with your order free of charge if you do not want to buy the plug and play harness. The other four wires are what allow you to take calls in any mode.

Also, yeah you'll need that 338 mic too!

-Ted

Plug and Play harness sounds easier to deal with, will you send out an email when we can purchase those as well to add them to our order?

Sorry if you've already mentioned this somewhere.

NorCalZman
12-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Questions from the video:

HFP: on/off. This is if we want the bluebus to act like the OEM phone, right? So if we (I) keep the OEM bluetooth set up we leave this setting OFF, correct? side note: HFP is an interesting name for phone BT. Never heard it called that before. heh.

OT Blinkers: Hopefully we will get a confirmation soon on if there are any issues using this setting for those of us that have 3 or 5 blinks already coded. I know you were working on getting this answer.

TCU mode: I am a little confused about this setting and how it should/will work for those of us that will be keeping our OEM Bluetooth phone set up. Obviously I want the system to go to phone mode, pause the music so I can take a call over the OEM set up, then go back to the music when I hang up. Do we leave the setting in Always for both OEM or bluebus phone set ups?

and the second question is what "set up" does the bluebus use for Siri? If we hold the talk button on our steering wheel will we still get Siri like in the video even if we keep the OEM phone BT set up? like can I press the button, tell it to call someone, then it will switch over to the OEM phone mode to complete the call?

YoitsTmac
12-06-2019, 03:17 PM
What pins for the mic? And where can we buy the plug and play harness?

I'll happily do an install guide and feature/user tutorial video. I got a new camera and have been dying to play with it anyway. I'm order 79 so it may be a while.

t3ddftw
12-06-2019, 10:10 PM
Questions from the video:

HFP: on/off. This is if we want the bluebus to act like the OEM phone, right? So if we (I) keep the OEM bluetooth set up we leave this setting OFF, correct? side note: HFP is an interesting name for phone BT. Never heard it called that before. heh.

OT Blinkers: Hopefully we will get a confirmation soon on if there are any issues using this setting for those of us that have 3 or 5 blinks already coded. I know you were working on getting this answer.

TCU mode: I am a little confused about this setting and how it should/will work for those of us that will be keeping our OEM Bluetooth phone set up. Obviously I want the system to go to phone mode, pause the music so I can take a call over the OEM set up, then go back to the music when I hang up. Do we leave the setting in Always for both OEM or bluebus phone set ups?

and the second question is what "set up" does the bluebus use for Siri? If we hold the talk button on our steering wheel will we still get Siri like in the video even if we keep the OEM phone BT set up? like can I press the button, tell it to call someone, then it will switch over to the OEM phone mode to complete the call?

HFP: on/off. "Call only" BT is called "Hands Free Protocol" in the Bluetooth world :). Yes, this is what you would want to disable if you'd like to use your OE ULF/TCU.

OT Blinkers: Yes sir, I'm sending my test unit this week to a user on this forum to confirm :)

TCU mode: If you don't wire in the BlueBus for TCU emulation (meaning removing your OE TCU/ULF), then this option doesn't mean anything for you. However, if you do wire in the BlueBus, this means that in "Bluetooth" mode, it will use the CD Changer audio input to route the call, rather than the TCU/ULF audio input. Everything with audio muting, etc will be handled by your phone (regardless of make/model), so nothing to worry about there :)

>and the second question is what "set up" does the bluebus use for Siri?

HFP :(. If you do not enable HFP, Siri/Google Assistant are a No-go via the "talk" button. This is a limitation of the phone, and not the BT module or my code :/.

What pins for the mic? And where can we buy the plug and play harness?

I'll happily do an install guide and feature/user tutorial video. I got a new camera and have been dying to play with it anyway. I'm order 79 so it may be a while.

Pins 1 and 19 are for the microphone on the 54 pin adapter.

I will email customers in a couple weeks with information on the plug and play harness :)

Your offer for a tutorial video would be excellent, thank you for the offer! Your 79 of 420 (nearly), so you're really one of the first :).

I'm hoping to crank out 150 units per week once they get to me.

Thanks!
-Ted

Dual
12-07-2019, 04:15 AM
Hey Ted- is this to be a limited run? I ask because I'm disabled right now but would hope to purchase a unit sometime in the coming year.

t3ddftw
12-07-2019, 05:52 AM
Hey Ted- is this to be a limited run? I ask because I'm disabled right now but would hope to purchase a unit sometime in the coming year.

So, no it's not a limited run :)

However, I've got twin boys in the oven right now, and the timer is set to go off in late February, so I can't see it happening until at least mid-April, because the exhaustion will be overwhelming and I probably won't have the energy to program and test another large batch of units.

Thanks!
-Ted

das boots
12-07-2019, 09:06 PM
So, no it's not a limited run :)

However, I've got twin boys in the oven right now, and the timer is set to go off in late February, so I can't see it happening until at least mid-April, because the exhaustion will be overwhelming and I probably won't have the energy to program and test another large batch of units.

Thanks!
-Ted

Ted.....You need to conserve your energy and pace yourself. You will have a real handful coming soon......:thumbup

t3ddftw
12-08-2019, 07:36 AM
Ted.....You need to conserve your energy and pace yourself. You will have a real handful coming soon......:thumbup

Oh I know! We have a two year old daughter running around, so I know the drill.

YoitsTmac
01-06-2020, 09:05 PM
Any updates on shipments?

t3ddftw
01-06-2020, 09:13 PM
Any updates on shipments?

Hey!

This is going to be a quick one, but I'll get specifics out at a later time. Wife and I are actually waiting on her C-Section right now in the hospital.

Things are delayed but not awfully. I'm expecting to start shipping in four weeks. I'm also working on having the cables manufactured by a local harness company.

cielo
01-08-2020, 10:13 PM
Hey!

This is going to be a quick one, but I'll get specifics out at a later time. Wife and I are actually waiting on her C-Section right now in the hospital.

Things are delayed but not awfully. I'm expecting to start shipping in four weeks. I'm also working on having the cables manufactured by a local harness company.

Best of luck to you and the fam!

t3ddftw
01-09-2020, 10:32 AM
Best of luck to you and the fam!

Thank you! Our boys are six weeks early, but they are healthy as can be for children of their gestational age. They are not expected to have any issues (so far) once they are ready to go home.

On the BlueBus: The holidays provided some delays between one of my part suppliers and the assembly house, which has pushed back to ship date from the manufacturer to the 7th of February. I plan to start shipping them as soon as I get them.

If anyone has questions or concerns, or if you don't want to wait that long and would like a refund, shoot me an email at tass2001@gmail.com.

P.S. I'm waiting on a couple quotes for the wire manufacture for the plug and play TCU adapter, which should be made way quicker.

Thanks!
-Ted

YoitsTmac
01-11-2020, 11:41 AM
Sorry for the late reply but congratulations! I'm sure you are so excited fort his new chapter. BlueBus gets here when it gets here, congrats on the new addition!

t3ddftw
01-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Sorry for the late reply but congratulations! I'm sure you are so excited fort his new chapter. BlueBus gets here when it gets here, congrats on the new addition!

Thanks! We are super excited for the twins -- sadly we don't have them home yet, but we have gotten to spend quality time with them :)

t3ddftw
01-18-2020, 05:53 PM
Hey guys,

So, I got hit with bad news Thursday -- The Fab house apparently has the PCBs themselves made in Taiwan (news to me), and Chinese New Years is coming up, so I got hit with a 14 day delay:

https://t3ddftw.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/BlueBus/Screenshot_20200116_162159.png

I spoke with my Account Manager at MacroFab and he said I was pretty much SOL. I'm not sure why they didn't initially account for this -- I'm pretty peeved :thumbsdown:.

In any case, the refund option still stands for anyone not wanting to wait. There's unfortunately nothing that can be done about this.

-Ted

Will
01-18-2020, 06:31 PM
Thanks for updating us, Ted. I appreciate your efforts and to bring this product to our platform.

I'll be patiently, and eagerly, waiting; no cancellation from me.

- Yeah, Chinese New Years is shutdown time.

Aethir30
01-18-2020, 07:48 PM
Well that's unfortunate. But also, not a refund situation from me. Eagerly awaiting mine!

das boots
01-18-2020, 08:43 PM
I'm all in. Yup. That is Chinese New Year. Most stores shut down for a week. This is serious celebration. Kung Si Fa Chay!!!!! (dunno if I said it correctly…..Correct me if I'm wrong).

rguti153
02-01-2020, 09:26 PM
Damn I'm late to this , I guess I have to wait till March to get one these unless somebody bails and I can get in .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

t3ddftw
02-01-2020, 09:35 PM
Damn I'm late to this , I guess I have to wait till March to get one these unless somebody bails and I can get in .

I've had one person bail so far and that's because he sold his E39 :/

March pre-orders will most likely be delivered in May, for what it's worth.

Thanks!
-Ted

rguti153
02-01-2020, 09:42 PM
I've had one person bail so far and that's because he sold his E39 :/

March pre-orders will most likely be delivered in May, for what it's worth.

Thanks!
-TedIf you let me in , let me know what to do .

RUS_ZHP
02-02-2020, 04:17 AM
Hi Ted,
I placed my self for March ordering. If you will have any cancellation, please let me know. I would love to have one sooner than May.
Thank you.

Hoonin88
02-05-2020, 12:15 PM
I keep forgetting I even prepaid for this haha.

Looks like there is some demand growing. Who wants mine for $500?? jk jk Too stoked to get mine.

rguti153
02-05-2020, 12:31 PM

Looks like there is some demand growing. Who wants mine for $500?? jk jk Too stoked to get mine.Oh yeah ?

t3ddftw
02-05-2020, 01:06 PM

Looks like there is some demand growing. Who wants mine for $500?? jk jk Too stoked to get mine.

I know you're kidding, but I'm gonna be so peeved if I see this start to happen -- that's highway robbery. I understand supply and demand, but still.

Hoonin88
02-05-2020, 04:26 PM
I couldn't see anyone from this group doing that. Too many enthusiasts who want to trick out their car in particular ways to hop on and jump ship for a few extra bucks. Likely the only reason someone backs out is like what was said before- either sold the car or totaled it. But I totally get what you're saying.

t3ddftw
02-06-2020, 06:57 AM
I couldn't see anyone from this group doing that. Too many enthusiasts who want to trick out their car in particular ways to hop on and jump ship for a few extra bucks. Likely the only reason someone backs out is like what was said before- either sold the car or totaled it. But I totally get what you're saying.

Yeah, you're right :). This was only marketed to enthusiasts, so I hope it stays in their hands, at least initially!

rguti153
02-06-2020, 07:50 AM
I agree !

NorCalZman
02-06-2020, 05:46 PM
I’m keeping my order. Thanks for keeping us updated. I also wonder if there will be complications because of the coronavirus situation that is developing over there. I hear on the news they will probably keep factories shut down longer than anticipated

t3ddftw
02-06-2020, 06:13 PM
I’m keeping my order. Thanks for keeping us updated. I also wonder if there will be complications because of the coronavirus situation that is developing over there. I hear on the news they will probably keep factories shut down longer than anticipated

The PCB factory is on the island of Taiwan, so I'm hoping that will help keep the Coronavirus at bay... bad pun.

rguti153
02-11-2020, 12:47 PM
Any updates lol

t3ddftw
02-11-2020, 06:16 PM
Any updates lol

Nope, the fab house hasn't started building them yet, and the shipping date is still the same. :(

The fellow injection molding my cases is starting to pump them out, but he may be slightly behind too. I'm not to worried because he'll probably sync up with my sending out units.

I did send off my wire terminal applicator and I should be getting those wires made very soon!

-Ted

Hoonin88
02-12-2020, 08:25 AM
:like

rguti153
02-12-2020, 08:57 AM
Nope, the fab house hasn't started building them yet, and the shipping date is still the same. :(

The fellow injection molding my cases is starting to pump them out, but he may be slightly behind too. I'm not to worried because he'll probably sync up with my sending out units.

I did send off my wire terminal applicator and I should be getting those wires made very soon!

-TedSweet !

t3ddftw
02-25-2020, 12:47 PM
In case you guys didn't get the email:

Hello Customer,

Firstly, thank you so much for your patience regarding the delays in manufacture that the BlueBus has faced due to the Chinese New Year and COVID-19.

Right now, everything required for manufacture is at the factory in Houston, TX and they should be working on the order this week. Though they have pushed back the shipment date twice, it is currently estimated to be March 3rd, which means I will receive them on March 4th and begin programming, testing and shipping them.

In addition to that, the case manufacturer miscalculated the shrink rate of the material used in the injection molding process, so the screw holes are not properly mating with the BlueBus board. They are working to resolve this as we speak.

If you wish to wait for the unit to come encased, please email tass2001@gmail.com with your order number. Otherwise, I will ship your case to you once it is available at no charge to you.

If your order number is below 250, I expect to have your unit out by the third week of March, if your order is above 250, expect to have it shipped by the fourth week of March.

If these delays are not acceptable, please send me an email at tass2001@gmail.com and I will refund your order.

I also wanted to announce that I'm able to take orders for the plug and play telephone-mode harness adapter. Pricing is $25 USD.

This harness offers a plug and play solution for using the BlueBus as an OE Telephone/ULF emulator, which will allow you take calls in any radio mode.

Please Note:
You DO NOT need the harness adapter in order to use the BlueBus or even use it as a Telephone/ULF emulator!
If you want to use OE telephone-mode at all, you MUST check your vehicles VIN on MDecoder and ensure you have options S629A, S639A, S640A, S644 or that you have an option that sounds related to telephony (like GSM, CDMA or Bluetooth).
IMPORTANT: If you are using the BlueBus with telephone-mode and you have a factory SES/Voice Control Module, the SES MUST BE REMOVED! Failure to do so WILL damage the BlueBus!
If you do not want to take calls, or you are comfortable de-pinning wires from the vehicle harness and placing them into a connector I will provide, then you DO NOT need this harness.

If you do not want to use OE Telephony mode, or you do not have a Microphone, you can always purchase and wire in any microphone with a 3.5mm connector and the BlueBus will accept it.

If you are interested in ordering the telephone-mode harness adapter, please stay tuned to your email as I will be sending purchasing instructions within the next few days.

NOTE: If you are based outside the U.S. and order a telephony harness, the harness WILL BE included with your BlueBus parcel.

If you are based in the U.S., your TCU Harness may come at a later date, likely by the second week of April.

Thank you for your patience!
-Ted

rguti153
02-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Sweet baby jesus !!! Good news

t3ddftw
02-28-2020, 10:25 PM
Hey guys,

In case you didn't see the email, I am now taking orders for the adapter harnesses!

das boots
03-16-2020, 07:06 PM

Received my BlueBus this morning. Will wait for fair weather prior to install.

Thanks Ted......

rguti153
03-16-2020, 07:11 PM

Received my BlueBus this morning. Will wait for fair weather prior to install.

Thanks Ted......Say what !!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

YoitsTmac
03-16-2020, 09:27 PM
Oh hell, where can we see the status of ours? I'm quarantined away from the delivery address...

t3ddftw
03-16-2020, 09:38 PM
Oh hell, where can we see the status of ours? I'm quarantined away from the delivery address...

You'll get an email as soon as yours ships.

Full disclosure: Unless you opted to wait until the case comes into stock, you're gonna get your unit in an anti-static bag, and probably without the TCU adapter (these are being assembled right now).

WHEN YOU GET IT: Keep it in the anti-static bag! This will protect the unit until the case comes in (early/mid April).

I should be shipping another 100 units in the next couple days -- Mr. Boots just got lucky and ended up getting one of the ten cases that I got as "samples" from the new case manufacturer.

Thanks!
-Ted

YoitsTmac
03-16-2020, 09:46 PM
What's the best email to request an address change? I'm likely to not return for a month or two with the way things are headed in CA.

You'll get an email as soon as yours ships.

Full disclosure: Unless you opted to wait until the case comes into stock, you're gonna get your unit in an anti-static bag, and probably without the TCU adapter (these are being assembled right now).

WHEN YOU GET IT: Keep it in the anti-static bag! This will protect the unit until the case comes in (early/mid April).

I should be shipping another 100 units in the next couple days -- Mr. Boots just got lucky and ended up getting one of the ten cases that I got as "samples" from the new case manufacturer.

Thanks!
-Ted

t3ddftw
03-16-2020, 09:50 PM
What's the best email to request an address change? I'm likely to not return for a month or two with the way things are headed in CA.

support@bluebus.dev

Hope all the best for you, btw! :(

YoitsTmac
03-16-2020, 10:20 PM
Thanks Ted, always on top of it! Hope the kiddos are doing well!

stephenkirsh
03-17-2020, 09:55 PM
Ted, any word on how your contacts/builders are doing in China related to the virus?

Largely off topic, I know.

t3ddftw
03-17-2020, 10:15 PM
Ted, any word on how your contacts/builders are doing in China related to the virus?

Largely off topic, I know.
I don't actually have any contacts in China. The boards were assembled in the U.S., and the PCBs were outsourced by the assembler to a Taiwanese house. My assembly house days COVID-19 is adding about a week delay to orders, but that's all there's to know... :/

YoitsTmac
03-18-2020, 02:44 AM
I don't actually have any contacts in China. The boards were assembled in the U.S., and the PCBs were outsourced by the assembler to a Taiwanese house. My assembly house days COVID-19 is adding about a week delay to orders, but that's all there's to know... :/

By chance did you get my email? I requested an address change but didn't hear back. I'm on quarantine until 4/7 or so, so I won't be able to get my unit for a long time if delivered to the original address. This is low urgency, car parts aren't high on my concerns these days...

t3ddftw
03-18-2020, 07:51 AM
By chance did you get my email? I requested an address change but didn't hear back. I'm on quarantine until 4/7 or so, so I won't be able to get my unit for a long time if delivered to the original address. This is low urgency, car parts aren't high on my concerns these days...

Hey Man!

Your email ended up in Spam (?), but I found it and just replied to you.

If anyone wants to change shipping info, that's fine as long as its done before Friday :)

Thanks!
-Ted

dpark
03-20-2020, 11:36 PM
So I am late to this thread. I read the first 20 or so posts and the last 20 or so.

I have the factory iPod integration unit with the 12v to 5b step down adapter to use a more modern iPod nano gen 6 instead of the older hdd based iPods

For Bluetooth I am using the Parrot solution and everything is plug and play and works through the steering wheel and head until controls.

While it would be nice to use the music on my iPhone vs using an iPod, that isn’t a huge issue. Not having Waze audio come out of my car speakers is a problem.

My workaround is having a portable JBL Bluetooth speaker in my car to handle Waze and ESPN audio while still having cellular audio via the car system and music via the iPod. Kinda trailer park trash setup but it works.

Will this BlueBus system allow me to make phone calls, listen to music and other non Cellular audio from my iPhone? And allow me to dump my iPod (finally) and my JBL Bluetooth speaker?

t3ddftw
03-21-2020, 04:51 AM
So I am late to this thread. I read the first 20 or so posts and the last 20 or so.

I have the factory iPod integration unit with the 12v to 5b step down adapter to use a more modern iPod nano gen 6 instead of the older hdd based iPods

For Bluetooth I am using the Parrot solution and everything is plug and play and works through the steering wheel and head until controls.

While it would be nice to use the music on my iPhone vs using an iPod, that isn’t a huge issue. Not having Waze audio come out of my car speakers is a problem.

My workaround is having a portable JBL Bluetooth speaker in my car to handle Waze and ESPN audio while still having cellular audio via the car system and music via the iPod. Kinda trailer park trash setup but it works.

Will this BlueBus system allow me to make phone calls, listen to music and other non Cellular audio from my iPhone? And allow me to dump my iPod (finally) and my JBL Bluetooth speaker?

Hi!

Yes, all navigation software I've tried is played through the vehicle. The music will usually get lowered and then navigation will speak up.

In order to use the BlueBus to take calls in the car, you'll need a factory microphone, or you'll need to wire in a 3rd party microphone.

To answer the question: yes, the BlueBus ticks off all your requirements :)

Thanks!
-Ted

das boots
03-24-2020, 03:30 PM

Installed with BT Audio. Some minor kinks that Ted is in process on resolving. Now I have BT from my iPhone...……..

NorCalZman
03-25-2020, 12:07 PM
I like the case. Too bad its hidden. haha

t3ddftw
03-25-2020, 07:26 PM
I like the case. Too bad its hidden. haha

Thanks! I have a couple changes I want to make to it, but overall I'm happy :)

Thanks!
-Ted

YoitsTmac
03-26-2020, 01:10 AM
excited to get mine! Me and the E46 our bored at home...

t3ddftw
03-26-2020, 08:09 AM
excited to get mine! Me and the E46 our bored at home...

Your order is set to "wait for the case" to become available before shipment. Do you want me to update that? You're gonna be waiting a few more weeks for that case...

Thanks!
-Ted

PdZHP
03-26-2020, 08:26 AM
Hi Ted,

Sent you a quick pm, thanks.

t3ddftw
03-26-2020, 10:09 AM
Hi Ted,

Sent you a quick pm, thanks.

rguti153
03-26-2020, 10:21 AM
Im ready for it !!!!!

YoitsTmac
03-26-2020, 04:29 PM
Your order is set to "wait for the case" to become available before shipment. Do you want me to update that? You're gonna be waiting a few more weeks for that case...

Thanks!
-Ted

The case is the blue thing everyone else is posting photos of, right? If so, yeah, I'll wait. With my luck, I'd short it otherwise

t3ddftw
04-09-2020, 06:43 PM
The case is the blue thing everyone else is posting photos of, right? If so, yeah, I'll wait. With my luck, I'd short it otherwise

That's correct. You can always use it in the bag, and in the box :).

Thermals are non-existent for this board as it uses about a half watt of power during 99% of circumstances.

Thanks!
-Ted

YoitsTmac
04-13-2020, 02:51 AM
Hey Ted! I just returned to SoCal. I can't find the email anywhere but you listed microphones that were good and were bad. Was wondering which ones you recommended. I currently have:
- 84.31-8 380 319
- 84.31-6 938 762

Whenever you have time, thanks! Any ETA on case orders?

das boots
04-13-2020, 08:30 PM
Hey Ted! I just returned to SoCal. I can't find the email anywhere but you listed microphones that were good and were bad. Was wondering which ones you recommended. I currently have:
- 84.31-8 380 319
- 84.31-6 938 762

Your 762 is good. The other is the 338. Store the 319.

t3ddftw
04-13-2020, 08:48 PM
- 84.31-8 380 319
- 84.31-6 938 762

762 doesn't work well for most people. 319 works just fine, and 338 works well too.

I've worked through all "no case" orders and I'm working through "case but no TCU adapter" orders right now. I should start getting adapters in stock soon, and I hope to have every order fulfilled within three weeks.

Your 762 is good. The other is the 338. Store the 319.

Does 762 work well for you? It does for me, but not many others.

Thanks!
-Ted

28firefighter
04-14-2020, 08:28 AM
Just ordered mine with the 54pin TCU adapter. Very very excited! Now I'll be able to honor my son's constant requests to listen to Frozen while we're driving. On second though, maybe I should cancel...

t3ddftw
04-14-2020, 08:42 AM
Just ordered mine with the 54pin TCU adapter. Very very excited! Now I'll be able to honor my son's constant requests to listen to Frozen while we're driving. On second though, maybe I should cancel...

I know this feeling all too well. Thankfully, my M3 is a toddler and newborn free zone because I can't shoehorn three of 'em in a coupe :)

Thanks!
-Ted

das boots
04-14-2020, 08:23 PM
Does 762 work well for you? It does for me, but not many others.

Thanks!
-Ted

I have the 762 installed. Works fine.....

YoitsTmac
04-24-2020, 01:11 PM
Just got my BlueBus. Filmed the install and have been playing with operation. Some questions to see if I have an independent issue. EDIT: THEY WERE ALL AN INDEPENDENT ISSUE everything works now: Siri, updated metadata, music skipping, volume adjusting (lowered music on device, maxed call and Siri on device. Cannot change volume during a call or Siri but this keeps all the volume levels even), etc.

Ted. Let me know if you want one video in installation and one video on how to use the device, or if you want the two together. The first thing that caught my eye is the absolute phenomenal audio clarity of the device. Going to go bananas for that.

Hoonin88
04-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Just got my BlueBus. Filmed the install and have been playing with operation. Some questions to see if I have an independent issue.

I have an iPhone X on iOS 13.2.2 . I can't seem to skip entire songs. Does anyone have this issue with iOS?

I also was unable to adjust the volume on the radio when in the call, is this normal? The other end said that they could hear themselves too. Could this be due to the mic I've used? I used the mic ending in 762 as recommended above.

Ted. Let me know if you want one video in installation and one video on how to use the device, or if you want the two together. The first thing that caught my eye is the absolute phenomenal audio clarity of the device. Going to go bananas for that.

edit 3: Invoking Siri by holding the mic causes the song to pause and then immediately play. Also autoplay on 0 or 1 does not start autoplay for me. Also the metadata does not update when the song changes. When the song is forced to change from the device or by the previous song ending, the metadata never updates. Music does also not pause when the radio is turned off. I suspect this is not normal behavior and any advice is appreciated. Will play more once it cools off.

I can confirm one thing, the echo is due to the mic you have hooked up. You will need to revert back to an older part number.

Have you, or anyone else, experienced feedback? No matter if music is playing or paused, if I am in Bluetooth mode and the volume is turned up decently, I can hear feedback through the speakers. This only happens with the car running. When just in the start position it sounds crystal clear.

YoitsTmac
04-24-2020, 01:55 PM
Glad you quoted because I wanted a strikethrough on everything, but I have fixed everything else. I will move to the xx-319 mic. I currently have some feedback when nothing is playing. I have not used BlueBus while driving yet so I cannot confirm or deny yet. It just can't be 97 outside.

Edit: I'm in a massive SoCal BMW owners chat and I am bragging about BlueBus to everyone. I don't think anyone in the chat owns an old enough module but hopefully at least one does! There was some interest on E9x chassis.

das boots
04-24-2020, 08:25 PM
I do not have any feedback on my 762 mic.

Do you use the Echo Number to do your testing?

YoitsTmac
04-24-2020, 08:52 PM
No full honestly I called my mom she said she could hear herself, I made her laugh, then in her laugh she said "oh my god, I can hear myself laughing" which always makes my mom laugh harder, and then that kept building up until she hung up.

28firefighter
04-25-2020, 12:00 PM
FWIW, I was able to get a 338 mic off eBay for $30. Looked brand new and install was real easy.

das boots
04-25-2020, 07:47 PM
338 mic is a better route. Should work better. But need to be tested if you still get the feedback.

NorCalZman
05-05-2020, 09:01 AM
Just got my BlueBus.

Is yours in the blue case or no? If he is sending the cased versions out then my fingers are crossed I will be getting mine soon.

FungShui
05-05-2020, 11:07 AM
I just finished installing mine today. The install pretty easy once I removed the TCU from the bracket to get access to the 54 pin connector.

Do we still need the TCU since its basically disconnected?
Ted via email confirmed TCU module is not needed anymore :)

Is yours in the blue case or no? If he is sending the cased versions out then my fingers are crossed I will be getting mine soon.

My case is blue.

t3ddftw
05-19-2020, 10:44 AM
Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't kept up with this thread -- I'm not getting subscription emails for some reason.

Anyways, can everyone update to the following firmware? bluebus_1_1_9_1.hex (https://t3ddftw.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/BlueBus/firmware/bluebus_1_1_9_1.hex) (you may need to right click > Save Link As)

The upgrade instructions are here: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus/wiki/Firmware-Upgrade

This firmware improves call quality in several ways:
1. The noise / echo cancellation algo is now enabled by default.
2. TCU Mode is no longer an option and is now only used outside of Bluetooth mode
3. The 762 mic should now work well for everyone!
4. If you have the nav system, you can now control call volume using the stock controls. Previously, you could only control the call volume itself.

In terms of order fulfillment: I have 73 orders left in the queue. I should be through these by next Monday.

Thanks guys! Please don't hesitate to email me at support@bluebus.dev should I go AFK here again.

Thanks!
-Ted

Aethir30
05-19-2020, 11:51 AM
Thanks Ted! Are you getting the cases for those of us that didn't wait for them shipped out soon?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

t3ddftw
05-19-2020, 12:00 PM
Thanks Ted! Are you getting the cases for those of us that didn't wait for them shipped out soon?

Yes, those should start shipping in the next couple weeks. Thankfully, there's no programming, testing, etc with those, so I should be able to assemble them and ship them in a weekend.

-Ted

Aethir30
05-19-2020, 12:02 PM
Yes, those should start shipping in the next couple weeks. Thankfully, there's no programming, testing, etc with those, so I should be able to assemble them and ship them in a weekend.

-TedSweet. Thanks!

28firefighter
05-19-2020, 01:21 PM
Out of curiosity, is that 73 orders total or 73 orders from the first set of orders? Just want to temper my expectations since I'm in the second round!

t3ddftw
05-19-2020, 01:59 PM
Out of curiosity, is that 73 orders total or 73 orders from the first set of orders? Just want to temper my expectations since I'm in the second round!

73 / 480 units that were sold. I have already mailed off 403 :)

There are 305 orders in the second run, with another 50 being sold to ECS Tuning.

A total of 380 units were ordered for round two. Not sure what I'm doing with the extras yet.

-Ted

Aethir30
05-19-2020, 02:04 PM
73 / 480 units that were sold. I have already mailed off 403 :)

There are 305 orders in the second run, with another 50 being sold to ECS Tuning.

A total of 380 units were ordered for round two. Not sure what I'm doing with the extras yet.

-TedDude getting picked up on ECS is awesome!!

28firefighter
05-19-2020, 02:17 PM
Got it - so I have a ways to go yet :-)

Congrats on getting picked up by ECS Tuning! That's a big deal!

Hoonin88
05-20-2020, 02:23 PM
When someone figures out how to update the firmware, fill me in. I plugged my laptop into the unit and opened the firmware tool. Clicked on "Select devise" and only had one option - COM3. I get an error shortly after saying ERROR: Failed to get a response within 5 secs.

Does the blubus need to stay plugged into the car? Does the car need to be in the on position?

Using windows 64 bit for what its worth.

t3ddftw
05-20-2020, 02:53 PM
Dude getting picked up on ECS is awesome!!

Thanks! They have been talking to me for a long time, and they wanted exclusive rights to sell the BlueBus, but my margins become crap at the point it becomes profitable for them to carry it, so I gave them a deal and a low minimum order quantity in order to get around those exclusive rights :)

When someone figures out how to update the firmware, fill me in. I plugged my laptop into the unit and opened the firmware tool. Clicked on "Select devise" and only had one option - COM3. I get an error shortly after saying ERROR: Failed to get a response within 5 secs.

Does the blubus need to stay plugged into the car? Does the car need to be in the on position?

Using windows 64 bit for what its worth.

The BlueBus doesn't need to be plugged into the car to upgrade. Have you tried simply restarting the firmware tool? :)

If that doesn't do it, right click the Start button and click "Device Manager". Open "Port (COM & LPT)" then plug the BlueBus in. The new option that shows up there is the BlueBus. If nothing new shows up under that list, then the BlueBus isn't being recognized and you should try a different cable.

If all else fails, email me at support@bluebus.dev

Everyone: Please install this firmware instead: https://t3ddftw.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/BlueBus/firmware/bluebus_1_1_9_3.hex

It fixes some volume control issues where you'd be liable to have your ear drums blasted after a call :)

Thanks!
-Ted

das boots
05-23-2020, 07:25 PM
Done my upgrade with help from Ted. After a back (Sciatica) reoccurrence. Solution was right in front of me all these time. It was so simple solution and I made it difficult.

Learn something......

t3ddftw
05-27-2020, 10:31 AM
ECS Tuning is taking orders for the 50 units: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bluebus-parts/bluebus-fully-integrated-bluetooth-control-module/bluebus1~blu/

28firefighter
05-27-2020, 10:52 AM
I saw that! It's been live for a week or so, it seems.

For those that haven't bought yet, I'm assuming your margins are much better if folks buy directly from you?

t3ddftw
05-27-2020, 11:13 AM
I saw that! It's been live for a week or so, it seems.

For those that haven't bought yet, I'm assuming your margins are much better if folks buy directly from you?

Man, they didn't even tell me! It's okay, I'm sure they are busy :)

Yeah, WAY better -- My margins with them are $40 - $50 / unit, vs $105 - $115 / unit. The reason is that they are going to make the manual for the unit, and they have access to a much larger customer base than I do, so it was worth it. Beyond that, go ahead and buy one of their allocations if you are waiting for the next BlueBus run -- no sense in waiting on me :)

-Ted

28firefighter
05-27-2020, 11:41 AM
Eh - as much as I'd love to get immediate gratification (since they say they're shipping tomorrow), I'd rather support you!

t3ddftw
05-27-2020, 11:42 AM
Eh - as much as I'd love to get immediate gratification (since they say they're shipping tomorrow), I'd rather support you!

Thank you so much!

So you know, they won't be able to ship until they get units from me, which is late June.

-Ted

28firefighter
05-27-2020, 12:11 PM
Well that makes it easier. :-)

BMWM3186
05-27-2020, 03:13 PM
Any updates on the TCU cables for the calling integration? Thanks

t3ddftw
05-27-2020, 06:58 PM
Any updates on the TCU cables for the calling integration? Thanks

Sorry, purchasing or getting in the mail?

Thanks!
-Ted

BMWM3186
05-27-2020, 07:05 PM
Sorry, purchasing or getting in the mail?

Thanks!
-Ted

Getting in the mail, I’ve already received my blue bus and purchased the adapter when you sent out the email

t3ddftw
05-27-2020, 07:10 PM
Getting in the mail, I’ve already received my blue bus and purchased the adapter when you sent out the email

Ah! Next ten days. :)

Aethir30
06-02-2020, 07:35 AM
Had an interesting phenomenon today, sound cut out randomly. Tried disconnecting, reconnecting with no luck. Turned off the radio and back on. Cycled the car on and off. Tried different apps, no sound.

FM radio plays fine, but nothing out of bluebus. Haven't gotten to the firmware update yet, and I want to try a couple other troubleshooting things.

t3ddftw
06-02-2020, 07:52 AM
Had an interesting phenomenon today, sound cut out randomly. Tried disconnecting, reconnecting with no luck. Turned off the radio and back on. Cycled the car on and off. Tried different apps, no sound.

FM radio plays fine, but nothing out of bluebus. Haven't gotten to the firmware update yet, and I want to try a couple other troubleshooting things.

Hmm, well that doesn't sound good. Let the car sit for 5 minutes (full off, everything closed) and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, check the volume on your phone (make sure it's at max), then listen to the speakers and see if you hear any kind of clicking / ticking / noise coming from them.

Shoot me an email at support@bluebus.dev if it persists.

-Ted

Aethir30
06-02-2020, 08:07 AM
Hmm, well that doesn't sound good. Let the car sit for 5 minutes (full off, everything closed) and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, check the volume on your phone (make sure it's at max), then listen to the speakers and see if you hear any kind of clicking / ticking / noise coming from them.

Shoot me an email at support@bluebus.dev if it persists.

-TedI have your number from when you helped me with install (factory iPod adaptor guy). If it persists I'll shoot you a text.

t3ddftw
06-02-2020, 08:33 AM
I have your number from when you helped me with install (factory iPod adaptor guy). If it persists I'll shoot you a text.

Oh yeah -- Sounds good! I have been thinking about texting you -- might be in the G19 MOS market soon.

Aethir30
06-05-2020, 12:04 PM
Forgot to post this yesterday, but I'm officially a moron. Bluebus is fine, the volume for BT on my phone got muted. [emoji2359]

Will
06-05-2020, 07:25 PM
Cross-posting from NAM3Forum. Maybe it'll help someone here who's not on that forum.

Just got my Bluebus units today - Thanks Ted!

TL;DR: *If you're having problems updating your firmware, try *change micro-usb cables or remove the Bluebus from the case to update. *

Longer version:
The firmware tool wasn't recognizing the second unit. The drop-down menu still said "Select Device" instead of the serial number (I presume it's the serial number).*

The cable I used couldn't fully mate with the connector because it was stopped by the case of the Bluebus. It was connected enough to light up the LED in the unit, but not enough to be recognized by the firmware tool. *Uncased the unit and all's good (I didn't have another cable).

The molded cable-end is too big and gets in the way of the case.

das boots
06-06-2020, 08:00 PM
Completed my round trip to Vegas for a few days (5 days) and back. This BlueBus was fantastic on long drives. Going back again next month.

28firefighter
06-22-2020, 06:42 PM
Hi Ted,

Saw on another forum that units were delayed for the second batch of orders. Does that mean those of us in the second batch are looking at August/September delivery timeframe?

Thanks for all your efforts here.

t3ddftw
06-22-2020, 07:16 PM
Hey everyone,

Just heard from MacroFab that there's a small delay, which will result in units being delivered to me on July 6th, rather than June 26th.

If you purchased through ECS, they have to wait for me to get all units before I am able to send them their allocations, so that's going to push out their timeline as well.

Sorry guys!
​​​​​​​-Ted

Hi Ted,

Saw on another forum that units were delayed for the second batch of orders. Does that mean those of us in the second batch are looking at August/September delivery timeframe?

Thanks for all your efforts here.

Not that far out! The delay is only a week :)

BMWM3186
06-24-2020, 12:20 PM
I’ve found 3 connectors near the sunroof motor, none of which fit the microphone. Is there a 4th one

Edit: found it, had to take out the lights to find it.

BMWM3186
06-24-2020, 01:45 PM
Is there a way to adjust the volume while in a call? Also, a few people have said the 762 mic is echoing even after I updated the firmware.

cakM3
06-29-2020, 03:54 AM
Ted, just sent you a PM sir :thumbsup

t3ddftw
06-29-2020, 08:29 PM
Is there a way to adjust the volume while in a call? Also, a few people have said the 762 mic is echoing even after I updated the firmware.

Try the volume knob ;)

762 seems to be hit or miss. Definitely lower the volume a tad and see if it helps. Also, set the mic gain to -27dB.

Ted, just sent you a PM sir :thumbsup

BMWM3186
07-03-2020, 11:27 PM
Try the volume knob ;)

762 seems to be hit or miss. Definitely lower the volume a tad and see if it helps. Also, set the mic gain to -27dB.

I tried adjusting with the volume knob and it didnt do anything... but ill try again. How would I go about setting the mic gain, dont recall seeing that in the settings.

t3ddftw
07-06-2020, 08:43 AM
I tried adjusting with the volume knob and it didnt do anything... but ill try again. How would I go about setting the mic gain, dont recall seeing that in the settings.

Did that end up working? Are you on the newest software? See below...

If this is a CD53 car, I recommend following this guide: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus/wiki/Gathering-a-Log (but don't run the "set log" commands). Instead, run "bt mgain c1"

Everyone,

Here is the newest firmware, which I recommend EVERYONE upgrade to: https://t3ddftw.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/BlueBus/firmware/bluebus_1_1_14.hex (Right Click > Save As / Save Link As)

Here are the upgrade instructions: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus/wiki/Firmware-Upgrade

Here's the changelog:

[IMP] application: Version 1.1.14

* Shutdown all unused I/O ports

* Rename I/O Port defines so they are consistent

* Ignore values for coolant temperature that are outside of usual ranges

* Resolve issue with radio overlay button in BMBT UI causing the UI to jump back to overlay mode even when on OBC / Nav

* Add support for extended ASCII characters, since most BMW UIs support this encoding

* Resolve issue with BlueBus keeping vehicles awake via TEL ON by shutting it down when the ignition is turned off

* Resolve issue with BlueBus waking other modules up by pulling the I-Bus low just prior to sleep (introduced around v 1.1.12)

Thanks!

-Ted

t3ddftw
07-07-2020, 09:13 AM
Hey guys,

I have some unfortunate news for everyone in the first batch who ordered in December:

I've recently figured out, after a few units turned up with similar failures, that a specific part (P-Channel MOSFET "Q2", for those curious) is failing pretty consistently due to it being under-rated for the voltage it's carrying.

The result is that this part is going to fail at some point, and may or maybe not take other components on the BlueBus out.

This is 100% my fault as I glanced by the value on the datasheet when originally shopping for a suitable part.

As I stand behind the BlueBus, I am going to be recalling every unit and I'm going to replace the part with one properly rated for the job.

If you are part of the second batch of BlueBus units, this DOES NOT impact you as I was able to have the correct part installed prior to assembly.

Q / A

How do I know if my unit is affected?
=====================================
If you ordered in December, your unit is affected.

When will my unit fail?
=======================
At some point in the future. It's hard to tell, and I've only had 12 failures attributed to this part.

What happens if other parts, or the whole unit fails before you recall my unit?
================================================== =============================
All impacted parts will be replaced and you will be given a fully working BlueBus.

How will you handle recalls?
============================
I will soon be emailing users in groups of 50 to send their BlueBus units in. Units that have been in use longest will get priority, as they have a greater chance of failure. If your unit fails while you're waiting, I will immediately have you send the unit to me for repair. You will have 4 weeks to get your unit shipped to me, after that any failures will NOT be covered by me, and I will charge you for the part required to fix the unit.

Why did this occur?
===================
Reading is hard, apparently.

Is anything else on the BlueBus going to fail?
==============================================
Not likely! I've gone over the datasheets, typical application schematics and recommended layout guidelines for all parts on the BlueBus and everything else is fine.

What if I'm not in the U.S.?
============================
Users in the EU/GB will send their units to a gentleman I know and trust in Germany who will perform the repair.
Users elsewhere will have their units swapped out with one of my spares.

Let me know if you have any additional questions and please know I am so sorry about this issue!

Please refrain from emailing me with regards to this issue unless your unit has failed as I'm the only person who fields questions.

Thanks!
-Ted

NorCalZman
07-07-2020, 11:01 AM
d'oh. well, glad I haven't put mine in yet. Car has been mostly sitting for months with the lock downs, but I was coincidently thinking of putting it in this weekend. Ill hold off for the time being.

These things happen. Thanks for standing behind it with a recall. I actually ordered mine in November, but got mine a little later than others in early May as I was waiting for the case. Not sure if that means I got a second batch or not, but I will keep an eye out for the email. Since its sitting here on my desk I can easily put it in a box and send it out any time.

t3ddftw
07-07-2020, 11:13 AM
d'oh. well, glad I haven't put mine in yet. Car has been mostly sitting for months with the lock downs, but I was coincidently thinking of putting it in this weekend. Ill hold off for the time being.

These things happen. Thanks for standing behind it with a recall. I actually ordered mine in November, but got mine a little later than others in early May as I was waiting for the case. Not sure if that means I got a second batch or not, but I will keep an eye out for the email. Since its sitting here on my desk I can easily put it in a box and send it out any time.

Sorry! Yeah, anyone who currently has a BlueBus in hand is impacted :(. I will see about getting you handled, since the unit is not in use.

Thanks!
-Ted

NorCalZman
07-07-2020, 11:24 AM
Sorry! Yeah, anyone who currently has a BlueBus in hand is impacted :(. I will see about getting you handled, since the unit is not in use.

Thanks!
-Ted

No worries. Its getting fixed and its not a huge deal. Side note - I just plugged it in and tried to update it for the first time (1.1.14). Your directions worked great for MacOS. Appeared to be successful on my old 2011 iMac with a 2 year old OS.

YoitsTmac
07-10-2020, 11:37 AM
Anything we have to do in regards to the recall? I need to email you in regards to an issue, I did a whole install video and review and just need to ask you about one thing. I'm sorry as I've been busy between graduating, job hunt, and helping my family out lately

t3ddftw
07-10-2020, 04:34 PM
No worries. Its getting fixed and its not a huge deal. Side note - I just plugged it in and tried to update it for the first time (1.1.14). Your directions worked great for MacOS. Appeared to be successful on my old 2011 iMac with a 2 year old OS.

Glad to hear it! :D

Anything we have to do in regards to the recall? I need to email you in regards to an issue, I did a whole install video and review and just need to ask you about one thing. I'm sorry as I've been busy between graduating, job hunt, and helping my family out lately

Email is incoming shortly (in a few minutes) with more information on the recall. You're fine! Shoot me an email about your question when you have a chance :) -- support@bluebus.dev

t3ddftw
07-10-2020, 04:53 PM
Hey guys,

If you are in the U.S., recall instructions are in your email.

Thanks!
-Ted
​​​​​​

rguti153
07-10-2020, 08:35 PM
Thanks would ship out to you this week

PdZHP
07-11-2020, 11:42 AM
Hi Ted, should it we ship in the blue bus case or removed?

thanks,

t3ddftw
07-13-2020, 09:44 AM
Hi Ted, should it we ship in the blue bus case or removed?

thanks,

Leave it in the case, please :)

-Ted

t3ddftw
07-22-2020, 12:33 PM
Hey Guys,

Some quick updates:

1. I'm taking pre-orders again over on www.bluebus.dev

2. If you are waiting on your BlueBus from batch 2, they are currently shipping.

3. If you ordered from ECS Tuning BEFORE June 20th, then you should see them ship your unit in the next day or two.

Thanks!
-Ted

28firefighter
07-22-2020, 01:03 PM
Hey Guys,

Some quick updates:

1. I'm taking pre-orders again over on www.bluebus.dev

2. If you are waiting on your BlueBus from batch 2, they are currently shipping.

3. If you ordered from ECS Tuning BEFORE June 20th, then you should see them ship your unit in the next day or two.

Thanks!
-Ted

Can’t wait!

Collegestudentwithazhp
08-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Me too! So excited!

PdZHP
08-01-2020, 02:54 PM
Fyi for anyone that has or had the iPod Interface Kit installed, you need to replace the black and yellow wires that were relocated to the iPod wiring/ connection. The Bluebus would sync but no sound would come through, just popping and static. After removing the business radio I found all the iPod related wiring. Now it works like a charm.

28firefighter
08-02-2020, 02:06 PM
Hi Ted - just checking in to see how far through batch 2 you are? Order number in the 780s here. Thanks!

Collegestudentwithazhp
08-05-2020, 08:25 PM
Agreed. Any updates on batch 3?

28firefighter
08-10-2020, 07:37 PM
Got my BlueBus today! My TCU adapter hasn’t arrived yet, so only music so far. Installed in about 10 minutes - took longer for me to figure out how I wanted to mount it after I had the trunk taken apart.

Ended up mounting it using velcro Command strips on top of the plastic cubby insert. I also cut a hole in the top cubby and ran a pre-connected micro-USB/USB into it, that way I don’t have to tear apart the trunk to update the firmware next time.

Looking forward to getting my TCU adapter!

Will
08-10-2020, 07:52 PM
^ Nice!

I think this is the single best mod / addition to the e46 that I've done. The sound quality is amazingly improved, too. Thanks, again, Ted.

t3ddftw
08-14-2020, 08:03 AM
Agreed. Any updates on batch 3?

Not really -- I've bought the important parts and I'm just working through the process of having these made :)

Got my BlueBus today! My TCU adapter hasn’t arrived yet, so only music so far. Installed in about 10 minutes - took longer for me to figure out how I wanted to mount it after I had the trunk taken apart.

Ended up mounting it using velcro Command strips on top of the plastic cubby insert. I also cut a hole in the top cubby and ran a pre-connected micro-USB/USB into it, that way I don’t have to tear apart the trunk to update the firmware next time.

Looking forward to getting my TCU adapter!

Hopefully you'll have the adapter soon. I have 14 or so to ship out, so that's nice.

28firefighter
08-29-2020, 02:15 PM
Hi Team,

I got my TCU adapter and installed my 338 microphone. Callers are complaining about echo at any level above muted in the car. I’ve sent a note to Ted, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this and, if so, how did you remedy it?

Separate question - I want to change some settings with my business radio, but there is no “OK” button on my radio to change them. Am I missing something?

rguti153
08-29-2020, 02:25 PM
Hi Team,

I got my TCU adapter and installed my 338 microphone. Callers are complaining about echo at any level above muted in the car. I’ve sent a note to Ted, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this and, if so, how did you remedy it?

Separate question - I want to change some settings with my business radio, but there is no “OK” button on my radio to change them. Am I missing something?I bought 319 (has a green cover) and ppl complain that i sound too far away.

NorCalZman
09-07-2020, 03:19 PM
Hey there. Installation question for my 2005 These are my free plugs. Only the 3 pins (for power I assume) goes into the bluebus (the others don’t fit into any of the holes). My phone integration is stock with the phone module which I want to keep. I just want to use the bluebus for Bluetooth streaming and displaying the data onto my nav screen. What am I missing?

EDIT: Ok Ted responded to a direct email, quite promptly I might add. The second from the top connector on the left goes into the 3rd hole down. However in order to get it to go in the connector, it had to be turned 180 degrees. It popped right in. That plug and then the 3 pin power plug were all that was needed to get the bluetooth streaming part to work. I already have BMW phone installed so I left that part stock and did not plug in anything else.

For anyone else installing this I suggest drilling a hole in the cubby tray so the wires can fit in there and the bluebus can sit in the cubby with easy access for firmware updates and/or troubleshooting. The unit sounds awesome, but my car is not playing music from it very loud with my iPhone 11 and the car radio turned all the way up. Ted suggested unplugging it and plugging it back in in a specific order starting with the 3 pin, then doing the 6 pin. I recall plugging it in the opposite order so hopefully this will fix the issue. I will try that later on and report back.

Even without it playing at a very loud volume I can tell the audio quality is much much better than the BT dongle plugged into my Aux cable that I was using before. Anyone still thinking about getting this should order one. I like it alot!

Collegestudentwithazhp
09-15-2020, 11:38 AM
Anyone getting a slight buzzing noise when using their bluebus? Could hear it when I pause my music. It happens every now and then. Was wondering if anyone else experienced similar issues.