PDA

View Full Version : Bmw m3 lsd

prowlerflyer
04-16-2011, 05:06 AM
What would be the disadvantage of installing an M3 diff instead of a aftermarket LSD? Looks like you can pick up a low mileage M3 diff for less than $700. Where as a quaife or such is running ~$2000 (although it new, vice used). I understand somewhat that the M3 diff needs its carrier (subframe) also. Is it just the subframe or is more of the M3 rear suspension also needed? Does this even bolt up into the back of a sedan? Thanks for the knowledge.

Mtnman
04-16-2011, 05:12 AM
I am thinking that Eli (mimalmo) is in the process of doing this right now.......he would be a good resource.

bullfrogs_M3
04-16-2011, 06:53 AM
There is a discussion about Diffs in another thread. But i'll just throw this pic up here. Here are all the components from an M3 that you will need:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/wrecklessfool/CIMG6471.jpg

You won't need to swap much else. Your rear offsets will change and you can keep your driveshaft is you have a 6MT or SMG. Otherwise, Auto cars will have to have a longer driveshaft

I am planning on doing this later this year. Sourcing my parts over the next few months.

mimalmo
04-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I've got most of those parts sitting in the garage right now.

Mike V
04-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Unless you get a killer deal on all those parts, the wiser choice might be an aftermarket LSD built to the ratio of your choice from Jim Blanton or diffsonline.