PDA

View Full Version : Koni Special Active and Bimmerworld RSM

E46Fan
01-18-2020, 03:23 PM
Last summer I installed Koni Special Active rear shocks and Bimmerworld lifetime RSM's on my 2005 ZHP Ci. All seemed just fine until this fall. On ratty potholed roads, I was getting a rattling sound. Loked through threads and at first was concerned it was the rear diff bushing going bad, but it looked like it was in good shape. I finally stripped everything out of the trunk and crawled back there and put my hand on top of the shock while my wife drove down the road. The sound for sure came from the shocks and timing coincided with the vibrations coming through the shock. I ordered Meyel HD RSM's and installed them this weekend. Seems like it cured the problem.

I ran the Bimmerworld RSM's on my 325i sedan with sport suspension and Sach's shocks for over 200k with no issues. Anyone out there have any issues running the Koni Special Active rear shocks and Bimmerworld lifetime RSM's?

sillieidiot
01-23-2020, 10:52 PM
Shouldn't be any different than with any other shocks with those RSMs. Probably just got some bad ones. I probably would have went with like the RE one though. That way you don't have to take apart the trunk the next time you need to take the shock out for some reason.

stephenkirsh
01-28-2020, 01:54 PM
Meyel HD seems to have a bad reputation lately... [emoji2369]

Oli77
01-28-2020, 04:50 PM
Ahahah, that's dedication: "honey drive the car around slowly while I go hang around in the trunk".

Nice way to find out though!

E46Fan
01-28-2020, 05:34 PM
Shouldn't be any different than with any other shocks with those RSMs. Probably just got some bad ones. I probably would have went with like the RE one though. That way you don't have to take apart the trunk the next time you need to take the shock out for some reason.

Yeah, unclear to me as well, can't see why this combo would be an issue. All I can think is the rubber bushings on these mounts need washers on the outsides. This places a metal washer against the convex metal gaurd that goes over the bump stop. I'm guessing I was getting some bounce that made these two rattle against each other.

By the way, what is the "RE" style? Not familiar with that.

E46Fan
01-28-2020, 05:39 PM
Meyel HD seems to have a bad reputation lately... [emoji2369]

Have had good luck with Meyel, but certainly have read comments from others who have not. They are really inexpensive, so if they go out quick its an easy fix.

E46Fan
01-28-2020, 05:43 PM
Ahahah, that's dedication: "honey drive the car around slowly while I go hang around in the trunk".

Nice way to find out though!

Ha ha, yeah, felt pretty contorted back there. But the rattle was driving me nuts. Fortunately, I have the fold down seat backs so I went in through the back seats.

John in VA
01-28-2020, 06:17 PM
Rogue Engineering - https://www.rogueengineering.com/3-Series-E46-including-M_c_415.html

sillieidiot
01-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Yeah, unclear to me as well, can't see why this combo would be an issue. All I can think is the rubber bushings on these mounts need washers on the outsides. This places a metal washer against the convex metal gaurd that goes over the bump stop. I'm guessing I was getting some bounce that made these two rattle against each other.

Well those are designed exactly like OE with just different rubber bushing material so they shouldn't have any problems unless it was defective.

These are the RE ones:
https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogue-Engineering-Rear-Shock-Mount-E30E36E46_p_270.html

Reinforces the RSM. You can see that the studs face down so you can remove/install the shocks from under the car now. No need to take the trunk liner every time since you can access it from outside. I guess you could always cut a flap in your trunk liner too to gain access. I cut mines to be able to access my adjuster knobs. You can't see the cuts when you put the flap back.

ZHPizza
01-31-2020, 08:01 AM
I actually had a clunking noise after a few months with FSD's and the RE mounts. I climbed back there to listen as well and I just needed to tighten the top nuts a bit. Getting them torqued to spec is pretty difficult.

BMWCurves
01-31-2020, 09:49 AM
I actually had a clunking noise after a few months with FSD's and the RE mounts. I climbed back there to listen as well and I just needed to tighten the top nuts a bit. Getting them torqued to spec is pretty difficult.

Interesting, maybe that's what I have going on in the rear passenger side. I've just kind of let it be, but with next week off maybe I'll take a look.