PDA

View Full Version : New Member in GA

Un1que
01-27-2020, 07:08 PM
Just acquired this '05 ZHP Coupe, 6 Speed. Awesome car, drives straight, looks pretty good from 20 feet, comfortable, decent power, love it! It was previously involved in a relatively minor collision (hood, bumper, fan, driver side fender, rear driver side fender), totaled, and rebuilt to inspection standard but with some cheap parts. After that it's been messed around with a little. I bought it for a track car, and it's going to be a couple months before I properly get into the mods so I'll probably use it as my daily.

Issues (open to opinions, will post on the appropriate thread as I get into it).

1. Front Lights are ebay angel eyes special, wiring sucks, they work ok on manual, but automatic mode flashes the green led on the dash (tracking not hooked up). Not sure it's worth changing at this point
2. Rear wheels lock up on heavy braking. PO put hawk pads on the rear (not sure what are on the fronts).. plus he gave me a couple spare parts including what looks like an ABS pump and a new throttle body tube. Looks like an ASC delete is a thing on these cars, I'll probably reinstall it if I'm going to the track (or maybe put hawks on the front too. happy for opinions). Are the brake system adjustable for front/rear bias? just a thought.
3. Looks like the suspension is aftermarket but doesnt feel like a racer special, it rides nice. I'll look up the track section for some advice.

Have another couple E46's (my son and his buddy both have them). One has been sitting for ages so the EWS/DME is out of sync, will try and figure that out. I have access to a decent scan tool.

Oh, and today is my birthday. Wrong side of a big number. Go me.

Un1que
01-27-2020, 07:23 PM
One other thing. The auto heat/air doesnt want to work. I'm assuming the OAT sensor isnt hooked up properly. I'll look at it when I get a chance. Heat works ok if I crank it up to 78 degrees+ on the dash.

Oli77
01-27-2020, 07:32 PM
Welcome, nice color. Looks like you will be fixing it up. This is exciting.

Can't adjust bias. Those headlight look after market but I am not sure.

What mileage.?

johnrando
01-27-2020, 08:55 PM
Welcome! GL w the project. And, Happy Birthday!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Un1que
01-28-2020, 02:13 AM
Welcome, nice color. Looks like you will be fixing it up. This is exciting.

Can't adjust bias. Those headlight look after market but I am not sure.

What mileage.?

Only 116k

704sw
01-28-2020, 06:23 AM
First of all, welcome!

Regarding the OAT: if it’s damaged or disconnected it’ll display a very extreme temp on the dash (press the BC button on the turn signal stalk to cycle display options). On metric clusters it shows +50C, I think on non metric it’s something like -40F.

Headlights: if they work in regular mode and the car will become a track car I wouldn’t waste time on money on that. Just my 2¢

Brakes: these cars are so heavily front-biased I can’t imagine a scenario with a properly functioning system where you’d be able to achieve rear lockup only, no matter the pad combo. The rears are basically just along for the ride.

Suspension: all depends how much you wanna spend lol. We have some track threads here, but I’d also suggest the “Track/Racing” section on M3forum. If you are pretty serious and have the coin, the SpecE46 MCS suspension is pretty much a perfect (albeit very pricey) turnkey solution.

BADCLOWN
01-28-2020, 08:43 AM
welcome to the forum sir!

looks like a very clean base for a tracker, start a project thread to keep us all updated on the progress

fredo
01-30-2020, 06:34 AM
Welcome, sir. And happy belated Bday !