PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Colorado

JUNcura11
02-03-2020, 11:03 AM
Hello everyone from Colorado...

I flew out to California last August to pick up a 03' 6spd ZHP and found that the owner had not been exactly "forthcoming" about the condition of the car. I took a chance and brought it home to Colorado and began going through what seemed to be an endless sea of issues and misrepresentations. I would have probably sold the car if I wasn't able to turn my own wrenches, but it's now back on the road and it's one more ZHP saved from the grave.

cakM3
02-03-2020, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the Mafia[emoji1360] You will find a lot of info from this site. Lots of good people to help you as well[emoji1360]

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Enjoy your ZHP ownership [emoji41]

There’s a factory airbag recall (15JAN2020) regarding replacement of the front passenger’s side air bag inflator assembly so check with your dealer. Your ZHP is part of the factory recall.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

JETSET303
02-03-2020, 11:51 AM
Welcome. Where in CO are you located? I’m in Denver with a 2004 in black sapphire. Got mine in Seattle 2 years ago and drove it back. I was in the same boat in that sea. Luckily most of the issues with mine turned out to be relatively minor. What all did you have to do to get caught up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredo
02-03-2020, 01:33 PM
Welcome, sir. You will love this forum. Any pics ?

JUNcura11
02-03-2020, 02:34 PM
Welcome. Where in CO are you located? I’m in Denver with a 2004 in black sapphire. Got mine in Seattle 2 years ago and drove it back. I was in the same boat in that sea. Luckily most of the issues with mine turned out to be relatively minor. What all did you have to do to get caught up?

Well, the PO told me a story about him buying the car when he lived in Utah and that it was mostly stock except for the intake and exhaust. He sent some photos that looked good so I booked the flight. When I got there I noticed that there were some slight, but noticeable, larger dents on the roof, trunk lid, and rear passenger quarter. Plus, the clear coat was bubbling in a few places. Then I drove it and heard a lot of road noise that was coming from the mismatched tires and terrible ride of the fancy coilovers he told me were installed. So it was either drive the car back to Denver or pay for the zillion dollar ticket and fly back.

I made it back to Denver, stopped for an emissions test, and that's where the fun began. It had a full Supersprint exhaust (including headers) so I wasn't overly surprised, but the readings were pretty over the top even for HFC's. I pulled out the intake and found a broken hose to the regulator and two cracked intake boots. Once those were fixed I found a bad DISA o-ring and intake manifold gasket. I also found some larger Red Top injectors and heat shielding which leads me to believe that the car had been suprcharged at some point. Oh, and the big brand coilovers turned out to be chinese eBay specials in the front and severely rusted Bilsteins in the rear.

Here are some highlights from a rather lengthy list:

Rebuilt Vanos with new seals and anti rattle kit
Replaced primary tensioner spring
Flash DME with updated stock tune
Replaced cats
Struts/Shocks - (replaced with koni/H&R and new pads)
Replaced Guibo/Center Support Bearing
New intake boots/hoses
New Tires
Replaced MAF and repaired MAF wiring
Replaced rear brake pads
Repaired passesnger mirror ribbon cable
Replaced DISA o-ring
Replaced injectors and orings
Replaced intake manifold gasket
Replaced spark plugs
Replaced primary tensioner spring
Repaired drivers headlight wiring
Replaced radiator and expansion tank

johnrando
02-03-2020, 05:42 PM
Welcome. Sux to hear but glad you sorted that all out. That's a lot of stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oli77
02-03-2020, 06:01 PM
Welcome, and the community is happy to hear that you saved a ZHP today!

Excellent job and sorry to hear all the stuff you had to deal with, that's a lot a torquing!

JUNcura11
02-03-2020, 06:25 PM
Welcome, and the community is happy to hear that you saved a ZHP today!

Excellent job and sorry to hear all the stuff you had to deal with, that's a lot a torquing!

Yep... That's the short list too. Had to do a little welding on the exhaust to seal a couple of leaks at the joints... Plus some other fun stuff. There's still more on the to-do list, but at least I can drive it.

JETSET303
02-03-2020, 06:29 PM
Well, guess that means you have a relatively mechanically sound ride now...