PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan gasket, and other maintenance

phillipjfry
02-10-2020, 04:38 PM
Hey all,

Over the weekend I performed a new oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket, motor mounts, spark plugs, ac/drive tensioners, belts, and a new pully. Wow what a pain in the ass that oil pan was! I enjoy wrenching, but damn that was a lot.

I almost sold the car last month, but the deal fell through when the car I was going to buy fell through. I'm still keeping an eye out for my next car, but I really like my ZHP!

Big shot out to Youtuber 50's Kid. That guys channel really helped walk me through a few items!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

johnrando
02-12-2020, 07:31 AM
Nice

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hoonin88
02-12-2020, 08:24 AM
Nice work! Now don't sell so you can reap the reward of all that labor.

phillipjfry
02-12-2020, 09:44 AM
Nice work! Now don't sell so you can reap the reward of all that labor.Haha my wife said the same thing. I know man, my car is sorted now. I didnt even know it needed that stuff, I took it to a mechanic for a good shake down for a noise I heard. He pointed out those items.

I was told after those items were repaired, the car would be tip top. I probably am going to keep it, rather than buying an unknown car. Plus I love the ZHP! I'm going to have a new headliner installed next month. Possibly a hood, and bumper respray to take care of some chips.

Overboost
02-12-2020, 10:48 AM
I have signs of a small leak as well now at over 200,000 miles. I am starting with the OFHG and CCV first to see if the leak is originating from above before dropping the subframe and doing the OPG. I know the OFHG and CCV has never been done before, I have owned the car for over 15 years. Hoping this eliminates my leak, not looking forward the the OPG if that's what it needs.

johnrando
02-12-2020, 10:53 AM
I have signs of a small leak as well now at over 200,000 miles. I am starting with the OFHG and CCV first to see if the leak is originating from above before dropping the subframe and doing the OPG. I know the OFHG and CCV has never been done before, I have owned the car for over 15 years. Hoping this eliminates my leak, not looking forward the the OPG if that's what it needs.

Great places to start. Try OFHG first, that one is easy and may fix the problem. The CCV is kinda a pain, but it will need to be done at some time.

ZHPizza
02-12-2020, 07:40 PM
I have signs of a small leak as well now at over 200,000 miles. I am starting with the OFHG and CCV first to see if the leak is originating from above before dropping the subframe and doing the OPG. I know the OFHG and CCV has never been done before, I have owned the car for over 15 years. Hoping this eliminates my leak, not looking forward the the OPG if that's what it needs.Yo I have an engine support you can use for the inevitable opg project lol that job sucks.

I made the most of it by installing an oil pan baffle at the same time, which eliminated my starvation issues during autocross.

Also installed headers while I was in there but that was stupid

phillipjfry
02-13-2020, 08:33 AM
OPG, and PCV are a pain in the dick. Well worth DIY due to shop labor rates, but a lot of stuff has to come off to access those areas. If you live around the Sacramento area I'd be happy to lend a hand. I also bought the specialty engine brace.

Oli77
02-13-2020, 04:57 PM
^ that's the brace that lifts the engine from both sides of the engine compartment, so you can do the mounts?

Will
02-22-2020, 06:35 PM
I'm pretty sure it's this brace from Harbor Freight - well, this is the one I used.

I'm in Orange County, CA if anyone needs one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html?_br_psugg_q=engine+brace

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11976.jpg

sillieidiot
02-23-2020, 11:02 AM
I'm pretty sure it's this brace from Harbor Freight - well, this is the one I used.

I'm in Orange County, CA if anyone needs one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html?_br_psugg_q=engine+brace

[IMG]https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11976.jpg[/IMG

Nice, I'm going to borrow that when I get my car back. Good to know.