PDA

View Full Version : ZHP as Artwork to Admire and as Periodic Analog Experience Provider

wstr75
02-22-2020, 09:26 AM
Are there others out there like me with how they regard their ZHP? We have other vehicles that get most of my mileage and, yet, I cannot bring myself to part with my ZHP. My lovely ZHP's street value is less than a ten year old used Walker Mower (I've been thinking about buying a used Walker Mower and the irony strikes me of a $10,000 mower when new in 2010 after ten years of hard commercial use is worth more than my lovely and well-maintained ZHP). I drive my 435ix convertible as my predominate daily driver and, yet, always admire the good looks of my ZHP sitting in the carport as I back out in my newer car.

The analog driving experience of my ZHP is a treat I give to myself from time to time usually when feeling guilty about not driving the ZHP. I know I should part ways with this seemingly extra hardware in my carport, the annual insurance costs, the on-going maintenance expenses and the periodic washing/waxing. I just cannot bring myself to parting with my ZHP. There are times when I stand and admire it as artwork.

I know a many of the folks on this forum are using their ZHPs as daily drivers. There appear to be a smaller group on the forum who collect cars. I'm a guy who does not collect cars, yet I cannot seem to let my ZHP go. Anyone else here is the same situation?

ZHPizza
02-22-2020, 11:44 AM
Brother that's all of us

Will
02-22-2020, 12:04 PM
Brother that's all of us

Yup; I second this.

Quantitatively - whether talking about MPG, safety, electronic doodads, etc - there are better cars. But I love the qualitative aspects (analog driving feel, aesthetics, etc).

fredo
02-22-2020, 12:05 PM
I'm on the same boat. Less than 13k miles in five years of ZHP ownership. This is my forever car, I can't imagine selling it at some point. I also have a 2012 F30 335i with 90k miles. The 335i drives like a new car and has lots of technology, but I don't feel very attached to it.

Oli77
02-22-2020, 12:18 PM
Artwork is a good way to put it. Wouldn't mind parking it in the living room.

DeathTrap
02-22-2020, 04:02 PM
I tried looking for a replacement... especially since my motor is shot...

I bought a new motor...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Vas
02-22-2020, 05:06 PM
I have an addiction problem to the zhp. Got 3 of them in my driveway currently.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

johnrando
02-22-2020, 06:14 PM
They will have to pry my ZHP out of my cold, dead hands. It's a keeper no matter what.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
02-23-2020, 11:00 AM
Well I don't got a ZHP. But I'm in the same boat. Never getting rid of the e46 unless something happens that is out of my hands *knock on wood*. But I agree with the driving feel. I have the Model 3 as my DD and frankly it's boring to drive. I honestly don't see why everyone raves about it. As a DD it's great and checks all the boxes. As a fun car, if you're not going straight on an empty road, it's not fun lol

JETSET303
02-23-2020, 12:09 PM
I work from home mostly. The kids’ school is only a mile away. My office, when I go, is only 7.5 miles. The ZHP has been in the garage since the first snow fall last October. I drive either my Jeep or my truck this time of year and when ever our adventures take us on the road. I always loved the E46, particularly in sedan form. I don’t need this car, but I love it. Like my ‘66 Pontiac, don’t need it but love it even though I never drive it anymore. My truck is a ‘16 Ram Power Wagon. It has all the bells and whistles for that year. It does everything I ask of it very well. But...it lacks the experience. The BMW and my ‘01 Jeep XJ are an experience every time I’m behind the wheel. Analog, deliberate, all character. It is about the feeling I get when climbing behind the wheel. I feel part of them and thereby a contributor to the experience. Not just the operator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prestovie
02-23-2020, 07:47 PM
I feel that, currently about to sell my Tundra to fund some rear bushings, vapor barriers, front breaks and a shifter rebuild. All worthwhile every time I open the garage, though

GeorgeH
02-24-2020, 09:15 AM
I don't have a particular ZHP that will be a forever one as I love so many of the color combinations, I'll probably always have some version of a ZHP.

But as artwork I do feel that way about my HP2S. Bought new, rode hard put up wet, worth nothing (relatively speaking now) so it just sits in my office so I can look at it everyday. **I just took these pics, I need to get her out, wash and maybe go for a ride....

Oli77
02-24-2020, 06:37 PM
I don't have a particular ZHP that will be a forever one as I love so many of the color combinations, I'll probably always have some version of a ZHP.

But as artwork I do feel that way about my HP2S. Bought new, rode hard put up wet, worth nothing (relatively speaking now) so it just sits in my office so I can look at it everyday. **I just took these pics, I need to get her out, wash and maybe go for a ride....

That's what I'm talking about. But you need to clean it up!

JPMo
02-26-2020, 01:27 PM
But as artwork I do feel that way about my HP2S.

What a beautiful bike, Im unfamiliar with that model as I'm new to bikes but I'd love a Ducati Streetfighter just to look at.

Also for those mentioning putting their ZHP in a living room.
Screenshot from a petrolicous video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt7uQr0YiUs) about a guy appreciating his vintage ferrari as art. Absolute goals!

Oli77
02-26-2020, 05:33 PM
Yep, that's the idea

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fhousebeauty.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F08%2FBrilliant-Car-in-Home-Brown-and-White-Living-Room-with-Car-Design-Used-Wooden-Deck-and-Concrete-Tile-Flooring-Ideas.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Spark330i
03-01-2020, 07:21 PM
Add me to the list! I bought a used 2016 M2 in November 2018 and still have my 2004 330i ZHP, it stays in y 1 car garage most of the time, I try to take it to work every Friday, but most of the time I don't because it is in various states of disassembly. I am fixing up various cosmetic and mechanical issues now that it's not my primary mode of transportation. I can't see myself selling it anytime soon, and doubt it will be worth much with 139,000 mi on the clock. I have a Google sheets document that has all the maintenance I have done since I bought it in 2005 - I try to follow the Mike Miller maintenance schedule. Is it worth my extra time, money and insurance cost... I think so!

GeorgeH
03-02-2020, 06:01 AM
What a beautiful bike, Im unfamiliar with that model as I'm new to bikes but I'd love a Ducati Streetfighter just to look at.

Thanks! There are something around 400 of them produced in the world. It's a very special bike, just didn't really catch on. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_HP2_Sport

Don Adolfo
03-04-2020, 06:06 AM
Thank you for your thoughts. I had never considered my ZHP as artwork to admire, but now I understand why I don’t tire of looking at it, and other models I guess I now consider art. And I guess that is why I’m also drawn to the E30 325is. Here’s my artwork.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200304/fbe0762f35b37fa7c02f22879faf04e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk