PDA

View Full Version : BlueBUS

Collegestudentwithazhp
04-16-2020, 09:33 PM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone has installed the BlueBus Bluetooth adaptor in their ZHP. I have a 2004 ZHP with HK system and the OEM pre-wired phone (saw the label in the trunk). If so, is there any chance you could please send instructions on how to install it? I’ve been YouTubing and searching for hours and haven’t come across any specific instructions on how to install. There is one video from “e39 source” but I know it is different for an e46 in terms of locating all the wires like the digital DSP unit, telephone cable, analog audio, and Power-IBUS.

It would be SO much to me if someone could help me out on this. Thank you so much.

Best,
Chris

28firefighter
04-16-2020, 10:09 PM
I just ordered mine, but after digging around in the trunk to look at cables, it sure seems substantially similar back there to the E39. Seems fairly straightforward, but can’t say for sure yet.

There are some instructions for other units like Grom or bimmernav that may help give you the right direction.

PdZHP
04-17-2020, 05:58 AM
I'm getting ready to install as well , any difference installing with BMW assist?
Thanks

Collegestudentwithazhp
04-17-2020, 07:14 PM
Good to know. Thank you! I have the 04 zhp, but it was built in 10/03. Does my car have a built in mic in the cabin? I saw that there is a plastic black strip with inserts on the right of the sunroof button. Is this where the OEM mic is? My car is pre-wired for the cellphone from checking the trunk.

Collegestudentwithazhp
04-17-2020, 08:24 PM
Good to know. Thank you! I have the 04 zhp, but it was built in 10/03. Does my car have a built in mic in the cabin? I saw that there is a plastic black strip with inserts on the right of the sunroof button. Is this where the OEM mic is? My car is pre-wired for the cellphone from checking the trunk.

Thatguy_JZ
04-18-2020, 06:12 AM
I'm getting ready to install as well , any difference installing with BMW assist?
ThanksYour assist should already have the microphone in place, but it may not be the most current microphone needed. What I found around the junk yards is early assist cars have the early microphone and quickly reading over bluebus, it requires the later part number so you may want to double check that.

Early microphones I think are all black and the later ones have blue piece on them

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thatguy_JZ
04-18-2020, 06:13 AM
Good to know. Thank you! I have the 04 zhp, but it was built in 10/03. Does my car have a built in mic in the cabin? I saw that there is a plastic black strip with inserts on the right of the sunroof button. Is this where the OEM mic is? My car is pre-wired for the cellphone from checking the trunk.Pop that panel down with the sunroof switch and the microphone and look and see. I have a spare microphone in my shed but I'm not sure if it's the latest part number required to work with bluebus

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

PdZHP
04-18-2020, 11:44 AM
Thanks!

BMWM3186
04-19-2020, 10:54 PM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone has installed the BlueBus Bluetooth adaptor in their ZHP. I have a 2004 ZHP with HK system and the OEM pre-wired phone (saw the label in the trunk). If so, is there any chance you could please send instructions on how to install it? I’ve been YouTubing and searching for hours and haven’t come across any specific instructions on how to install. There is one video from “e39 source” but I know it is different for an e46 in terms of locating all the wires like the digital DSP unit, telephone cable, analog audio, and Power-IBUS.

It would be SO much to me if someone could help me out on this. Thank you so much.

Best,
Chris

I had the same issue, I had to think about it for a minute. There are some plastic pop rivots on the trunk liner remove those and you should be able to remove the carpet covering the cd changer in the back. On my 05 coupe there were 4 8mm bolts holding the 6cd changer in. Remove those and pull out the cd changer, there will be two wires plugged into it. Remove those and plug them into the bluebus.

You are finished now except for the calling function, I havent received my 54 pin? adapter for that yet but there is a bundle of wires wrapped up in a foam blanket near the cd changer. There were 4 cables total in that bundle, one being for the 54 pin for the calling functions of the bluebus. Im guessing we have no use for the other 3.

28firefighter
04-20-2020, 04:04 PM
I have not received my BlueBus or adapter yet (expecting June since I was a late order), but I did order and install a microphone off ebay. The installation itself is super simple, but it took me a few minutes to dig around for the wrapping that contained the microphone connector. There are a number of connections up there that might be loose and hanging around, including the homelink adapter.

As far as the trunk, I do not have BMW Assist or a CD Changer, which does simplify things a bit. I had a bundle of cords wrapped up behind the carpeting in the left side of the trunk. There were a number of connections there - a 3 pin power cord, a capped blue SES connector, a black 54 pin TCU connector, a DSP connector, and then what I imagine was runs for the antenna and possibly some wiring in the center console where a phone would have been installed. Since my blue SES connector is capped, I ordered the 54pin TCU adapter.

I'll connect the flat 3 pin power cord to the BlueBlus, the adapter run to the black 54 pin TCU connector, and the square Analog-DSP connector (since I do not have digital DSP). I have a picture on my phone - I'll try to edit this post and upload a picture of the key parts.

Collegestudentwithazhp
04-21-2020, 02:06 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your experience locating the correct wires to install the blueBus. I’m really excited to install it. Please DO send photos throughout your setup in your ZHP onto this forum. Would be very curious to see how you place the blueBus and how you located everything. :) I will be checking in on how everyone does.

Stay safe,
Chris

Collegestudentwithazhp
04-21-2020, 02:10 PM
Was your CD changer a silver box underneath the Black Navigation DVD Box?

Collegestudentwithazhp
04-21-2020, 02:11 PM
I had the same issue, I had to think about it for a minute. There are some plastic pop rivots on the trunk liner remove those and you should be able to remove the carpet covering the cd changer in the back. On my 05 coupe there were 4 8mm bolts holding the 6cd changer in. Remove those and pull out the cd changer, there will be two wires plugged into it. Remove those and plug them into the bluebus.

You are finished now except for the calling function, I havent received my 26 pin? adapter for that yet but there is a bundle of wires wrapped up in a foam blanket near the cd changer. There were 4 cables total in that bundle, one being for the 26 pin for the calling functions of the bluebus. Im guessing we have no use for the other 3.

BMWM3186
04-21-2020, 03:40 PM

I don’t have a navigation box. But the cd changer should say cd changer on it and have a place where you can put 6 cds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoonin88
04-21-2020, 05:09 PM
Just installed mine today, although I haven't received my casing yet...

It is my understanding that you don't want the latest mic. According to the bluebus site itself you want part #84318380338 or #84318380319 NOT #84316938762, which I believe is the most recent part number.

The e39 source youtube video shows you exactly which two plugs you need to power on and get sound. The wires are the same in the e46 as the e39. Unraveled there is a considerable length of wire to work with- that may help as an identifying factor.

For people who chose not to buy a $25 cable, below is a ling on how to pin for the mic function.

https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus/wiki/Install-with-54-pin-TCU-connector

PdZHP
04-21-2020, 06:22 PM
Great info, thanks!

tonyportnof
03-20-2021, 01:59 PM
I got the thing yesterday ('06 ZHP coupe, HK, no nav) it works like a charm. Metadata on the old OEM display, etc...super cool, Ted Salmon got it done! I'm trying to figure out how to tie in the mic on the ceiling as a bonus. I plan on pulling the trunk apart again once I get a part or two.

ItsRichieRich
04-17-2021, 06:36 PM
Going to look into getting this for my ZHP. Just out of curiosity, how do you know if the car comes with DSP?

Will
04-21-2021, 05:52 PM
Going to look into getting this for my ZHP. Just out of curiosity, how do you know if the car comes with DSP?

Our cars (e46s) didn't come with DSP. I think that was a e38 and e39 thing.

cakM3
04-21-2021, 06:20 PM
It is my understanding that you don't want the latest mic. According to the bluebus site itself you want part #84318380338 or #84318380319 NOT #84316938762, which I believe is the most recent part number.

That is incorrect. I have the latest mic (84316938762) installed in my ZHP and updated my BlueBus with Clear Voice Capture which cancels echo and noise picked up by the microphone in the vehicle. Since applying this to my BlueBus I have not had any issues using the "latest" mic. For those who have not enabled cVc license using Clear Voice Capture, run this utility to enable this on your BlueBus and you should be okay.

https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus/wiki/Clear-Voice-Capture

There is much more information contained about BlueBus in this thread:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?22245-New-bluetooth-option-for-e46-coming-soon

Hoonin88
04-22-2021, 05:34 AM
That information was correct....a year ago. But yes, the updates since then are supposed to allow users to have the latest mic.

Will
04-22-2021, 11:17 AM
That is incorrect. I have the latest mic (84316938762) installed in my ZHP and updated my BlueBus with Clear Voice Capture which cancels echo and noise picked up by the microphone in the vehicle. Since applying this to my BlueBus I have not had any issues using the "latest" mic. For those who have not enabled cVc license using Clear Voice Capture, run this utility to enable this on your BlueBus and you should be okay.

https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus/wiki/Clear-Voice-Capture

There is much more information contained about BlueBus in this thread:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?22245-New-bluetooth-option-for-e46-coming-soon

That's great to hear that CVC fixed the echo problem. I had the echo problem on phone calls, but I haven't tried with CVC yet.

cakM3
04-22-2021, 11:35 AM
That's great to hear that CVC fixed the echo problem. I had the echo problem on phone calls, but I haven't tried with CVC yet.

Will, I was having the same issue with my updated mic until I ran that utility Ted put out in the other BlueBus thread. The one you started. I only saw the Ted's post regarding the echoing issue with microphones so I ran this and my issues went away. Ted has done and continues to do an amazing job keeping up with updating his product.

Will
04-23-2021, 02:17 PM
I agree, it's fantastic to have a resource like Ted as an enthusiast. BlueBus is easily my favorite "mod."

t3ddftw
05-11-2021, 08:07 AM
Sorry I missed this thread, guys :(.

Glad to hear that the cVc tool has fixed echo issues for most of you! There was a bug for quite a few firmwares that left cVc disabled, unfortunately :(

-Ted

ItsRichieRich
05-11-2021, 09:29 AM
Can someone confirm the part # needed for a microphone. Want to order one soon!

Sorry I missed this thread, guys :(.

Glad to hear that the cVc tool has fixed echo issues for most of you! There was a bug for quite a few firmwares that left cVc disabled, unfortunately :(

-Ted

Ted, we still looking at a timeline at end of next month for shipping the units out?

t3ddftw
05-11-2021, 09:38 AM
Can someone confirm the part # needed for a microphone. Want to order one soon!

Ted, we still looking at a timeline at end of next month for shipping the units out?

Yes indeed :). They should be to me late this month, then it takes a few weeks to prep them for shipping depending on how hectic life is.

-Ted

cakM3
05-11-2021, 09:41 AM
Can someone confirm the part # needed for a microphone.

Look here:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?22245-New-bluetooth-option-for-e46-coming-soon&p=602611#post602611

t3ddftw
05-11-2021, 09:51 AM
Also, at the bottom of this page: https://www.bluebus.dev/telephone-adapters

ItsRichieRich
05-11-2021, 09:52 AM
Yes indeed :). They should be to me late this month, then it takes a few weeks to prep them for shipping depending on how hectic life is.

-Ted

Awesome, looking forward to it! With the talks of the CVC, do we need to do this or will it be taken care of before being shipped out?

Look here:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?22245-New-bluetooth-option-for-e46-coming-soon&p=602611#post602611

You my friend, are the best. I owe you a beer.

t3ddftw
05-11-2021, 10:06 AM
Awesome, looking forward to it! With the talks of the CVC, do we need to do this or will it be taken care of before being shipped out?

This shouldn't apply to anyone going forward. The original reason I had to create the tool was that the last batch that went out in early March did not have the license key applied as Qualcomm dragged their feet. I already have the license on hand for the units coming in June, so it's not an issue :).

It's just coincidence that the tool works to enable cVc for units from earlier batches where the bug existed that left the algorithm off.

-Ted

ItsRichieRich
05-11-2021, 01:29 PM
This shouldn't apply to anyone going forward. The original reason I had to create the tool was that the last batch that went out in early March did not have the license key applied as Qualcomm dragged their feet. I already have the license on hand for the units coming in June, so it's not an issue :).

It's just coincidence that the tool works to enable cVc for units from earlier batches where the bug existed that left the algorithm off.

-Ted

Sweeeeet!

rkman
09-03-2022, 10:47 AM
Has anyone installed the BlueBus in a 2006 ci convertible? If so is the installation the same as the sedan or coupe? Thanks

cakM3
09-03-2022, 01:17 PM
Has anyone installed the BlueBus in a 2006 ci convertible? If so is the installation the same as the sedan or coupe? Thanks

contact SNA77, he installed Bluebus in his vert....

DoubleTrouble
10-06-2022, 06:42 PM
Just got my 2 Bluebus units. Lots of questions.

2005 ZHP coupe Nav

With installation, music plays and the bluetooth connects seamlessly. However no audio can be heard when attempting to use the car during a call. I couldn’t find the TCU in the trunk, and the trunk lid doesn’t say prewired for phone, but the car shows a telephone feature on the screen, and phone and voice command buttons on the wheel. I figured it was optioned with a mic but without locating the TCU I am starting to doubt it. On the bluebus it shows an audio setting with a mic db adjustment, which I don’t know if that means there is a mic in the car or just a bluebus setting.

So what is the best way to tell if I don’t have a tcu or microphone at all or if I just need the 54 pin adapter?

2002 330Vert, BusinessCD, built 8/02.
Prewired for telephone.
Hooked up the 2 wires on the left side., same way as was done in ZHP. Car will not recognize Bluebus when toggling Mode selector, only goes between radio and CD player. No aux or Bluetooth.
What do I need to do to hook up?

Thanks!

[USMC]Skywalker
11-06-2022, 07:38 PM
If there is no TCU In the trunk then the chances are you dont have a mic either. You can check the mic easily by removing the panel behind the dome light near the front windshield. I dont use Bluebus but I would assume a newer CD unit may be needed.

2004_blue_zhp
11-26-2022, 06:56 AM
Hi all,

Got my bluebus yesterday and the install went (broadly) ok!

Couple quick questions:
1) When I try to update the firmware on the device
----a) Should the device be plugged into the car (for power and/or signal) or should I take the unit out of the car and bring it into my office and do it on the desk?
----b) When I try doing the upgrade just on my desk (not plugged into the car) I get an "ERROR: Unrecognized Device" message, and can't go any farther. I get this error with a pair of USB cables and on a pair of computers (one M1 Max MacBook Pro and one Windows laptop). Any ideas?

2) I've currently got the device installed with i) 3 pin power, ii) 6 pin analog signal, iii) handsfree via the SES adapter. All is working fine. My questions are about whether it's worth hooking up iv) digital signal
----a) In my "wire bundle" from the factory, I see what look like two different coaxial "antenna-style" connectors (pic below). One is in a cream/white colored protective clip. The other is in a sky blue colored protective clip. Which of these two is the digital audio connector I should be plugging into the bluebus? Should the colored clip be removed or is it possible to install the correct coaxial antenna-style connector with the colored clip in place?
----b) if I plug in the (correct) digital coaxial antenna style cable, will the bluebus default to getting sound over the analog wiring or the digital wiring?
----c) should I expect any difference in sound quality between the analog wiring and digital wiring?
----d) out of curiosity, what is the other coaxial antenna-style cable used for?
----e) out of more curiosity, what is the 3-pin plug that is in the big pre-wiring bundle in the trunk (with the red wire, the brown wire and the yellow/red-looking wire in the image I attached)...the one that *isn't* paired up with the 6 pin analog signal wiring for the CD changer?

2004_blue_zhp
11-27-2022, 07:23 AM
Follow up to the above post:

When I put the ignition to position 1 and set the "comfort blinks" option to 3, it works great. I save the option and can confirm the blinker fires 3x when tapped once. Great.

But as soon as I start the car, it goes back to a single blink.

If I start the car and then program the BlueBus for 3 blinks (or any other number) the setting sticks within the BlueBus interface, but the behavior is always "1 blink".

I.e. no matter how I program the unit, I only get one blink when the engine is actually running.

Anyone else encounter this issue/have suggestions?

t3ddftw
11-28-2022, 10:44 AM
Hi all,

Got my bluebus yesterday and the install went (broadly) ok!

Couple quick questions:
1) When I try to update the firmware on the device
----a) Should the device be plugged into the car (for power and/or signal) or should I take the unit out of the car and bring it into my office and do it on the desk?
----b) When I try doing the upgrade just on my desk (not plugged into the car) I get an "ERROR: Unrecognized Device" message, and can't go any farther. I get this error with a pair of USB cables and on a pair of computers (one M1 Max MacBook Pro and one Windows laptop). Any ideas?

2) I've currently got the device installed with i) 3 pin power, ii) 6 pin analog signal, iii) handsfree via the SES adapter. All is working fine. My questions are about whether it's worth hooking up iv) digital signal
----a) In my "wire bundle" from the factory, I see what look like two different coaxial "antenna-style" connectors (pic below). One is in a cream/white colored protective clip. The other is in a sky blue colored protective clip. Which of these two is the digital audio connector I should be plugging into the bluebus? Should the colored clip be removed or is it possible to install the correct coaxial antenna-style connector with the colored clip in place?
----b) if I plug in the (correct) digital coaxial antenna style cable, will the bluebus default to getting sound over the analog wiring or the digital wiring?
----c) should I expect any difference in sound quality between the analog wiring and digital wiring?
----d) out of curiosity, what is the other coaxial antenna-style cable used for?
----e) out of more curiosity, what is the 3-pin plug that is in the big pre-wiring bundle in the trunk (with the red wire, the brown wire and the yellow/red-looking wire in the image I attached)...the one that *isn't* paired up with the 6 pin analog signal wiring for the CD changer?

1A. Doesn't matter. It works both ways.
1B. This is because of an issue with the update tool, nothing to do with your specific unit. I just need to update the tool.

2. As a general rule, no E46 has the ability to use the digital interface because neither the standard amp nor the HK accept the digital input. The same applies for all E83s, and E85/E86s made after 09/2004.

2A. This is a Bluetooth antenna input for the factory system.
2B. If it were possible, you would have to change the "DSP" setting on the BlueBus to force it into Digital mode. Radio coding controls the input used on vehicles with the DSP amp.
2C. On the E38, E39 and E53 (which use the same exact amp), yes, and it's massive. On the E83, E85 and E86 (which use an updated DSP amp), the difference is very minor.
2D. On the BlueBus? It's S/PDIF over coax. The factory ones are just that: antenna inputs for the factory phone.
2E. Power for the factory cell-booster module ("Compensator").

Follow up to the above post:

When I put the ignition to position 1 and set the "comfort blinks" option to 3, it works great. I save the option and can confirm the blinker fires 3x when tapped once. Great.

But as soon as I start the car, it goes back to a single blink.

If I start the car and then program the BlueBus for 3 blinks (or any other number) the setting sticks within the BlueBus interface, but the behavior is always "1 blink".

I.e. no matter how I program the unit, I only get one blink when the engine is actually running.

Anyone else encounter this issue/have suggestions?

This is kinda wild. Any chance you could send me a log? I'll respond to your email shortly, but I have a 2004 and a 2006 E46 (Touring and Coupe) and neither have this issue.

-Ted

JPMo
12-04-2022, 07:04 AM
So I’ve been having an issue with my bluebus. I am unable to cycle through the menus and options easily because the LCD display is continuously going back to the main menu and cycling through text. Adjusting bass or treble takes twice as long as I have to basically start from the beginning with every adjustment

t3ddftw
12-05-2022, 08:31 AM
So I’ve been having an issue with my bluebus. I am unable to cycle through the menus and options easily because the LCD display is continuously going back to the main menu and cycling through text. Adjusting bass or treble takes twice as long as I have to basically start from the beginning with every adjustment

Easy! Hit the "2" button before you try to do anything, so the BlueBus stops updating the display :).

Unfortunately, the radio doesn't announce that the user is pressing any of the buttons, so I can't account for this any other way.

-Ted

rkman
01-26-2023, 12:59 PM
Just wanted to give an update on my Bluebus intallation and shout-out to Ted for his patience and perseverance in helping me with my install. After connecting the Bluebus I kept getting a no magazine notification when using the mode button to set up pairing. After working with Ted he determined that I had an Ipod interface unit installed in my 2006 ci convertible and that was interfering with the pairing of the Bluebus unit. I pulled the fuse from the Ipod interface and then everything worked as it should. Thought I should post this incase anyone else runs into this issue. Thanks again to Ted for his help and great product.