PDA

View Full Version : Cost to Paint MTech II Front Bumper

pedro2u
04-18-2020, 05:40 AM
The time has come to replace my front bumper cover and I'm curious what to expect for the cost to paint it. I plan to install it myself, so I'm just looking for the cost to paint/clear a brand new OEM pre-primed cover - off the car

I went to my local BMW dealer yesterday who I've used several times for insurance related claims over the years (where the other party was paying). Their work was always top notch and even my Indy thought they would be the best option to get the color match correct.

So the dealer mailed me an estimate this morning, $508. Is that a reasonable price for just painting/clearing a brand new primed bumper? Or should I shop around?

Galapolis
04-18-2020, 05:52 AM
I paid $298 to paint my pre-primed replica M-Tech II bumper at a local body shop. I'd say you can definitely shop around.

fredo
04-18-2020, 06:03 AM
My local body shop charges $300 to paint a bumper. That must be one of the best prices around. It's a one man operation, he doesn't have receptionist or advertise. Is your car jet black or black sapphire metallic ? I heard metallic colors are a little more difficult to match.

pedro2u
04-18-2020, 06:06 AM
black sapphire metallic (475). Thanks for the data points. $508 seemed a bit high to me

Thatguy_JZ
04-18-2020, 06:08 AM
That sounds about right. Maybe a hundred over since the bumper is pre-primed and doesn't really require too much prep.

I'm having my factory bumper completely stripped and refinished as well as a fender repainted and blended into the door for about double that. There's significantly more time tied up into my front bumper however since it was pitted and spider webbed in several places. The quote that shop gave me is consistent with the dealership quotes that I received as well. This place specializes in factory restoration work.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

das boots
04-18-2020, 07:46 PM
What brand of paint to use for a BMW? How many coats? Or does the paint depend on the quality of painting?

Same here. Bumper would probably need a paint job soon due to road rash.....

sillieidiot
04-19-2020, 05:19 PM
That's about how much it costs around there. $500-650. It depends on if it's a new bumper, or one that has to be repainted. My shop charges like $600 I think. But I know he uses PPG for both paint and clear. Most of the other shops around this area uses lower quality paint/clear like Omni or Trinity. Omni is like $80-100/gal and PPG which is like $80-100/qt for reference.

pedro2u
04-19-2020, 06:03 PM
Thanks for validating the pricing. It's a brand new OEM primed bumper. I think tomorrow or Tuesday I'll go the dealer route for $500. I'm not looking to save $100 somewhere else and then not be happy with the paint used/thickness/color match or unplanned quality issues. Just need to find out if they want me to bring my car over for the color match or just the old bumper

And I still have to ask the dealer how they will handle this with Carfax. IIRC, there was a ZHP on BringaTrailer that the owner chose to do a cosmetic fix on his bumper and it got reported on his Carfax as an accident by the body shop.

Overboost
04-19-2020, 06:46 PM
Pete, I paid just over $600 for both front and rear M Tech II bumpers and side skirts when I did my conversion. But my color was AW and not a sapphire. Not the dealer but dealer recommended.

pedro2u
04-19-2020, 07:21 PM
Pete, I paid just over $600 for both front and rear M Tech II bumpers and side skirts when I did my conversion. But my color was AW and not a sapphire. Not the dealer but dealer recommended.

Thanks for that additional data point. Normally the dealer is not my first choice, but they got it right on 2 separate body repairs paid by the guys who hit me, so that's really the only place I'm confident of the results, and when my Indy also said go to the dealer, I felt validated with my choice. And everyone here confirmed that their quote was reasonable

and.... the older I get, the faster I was.... too funny! I have memories of and have to hold back retelling stories of "he could throw that fastball by you, make you look like a fool" thanks to Bruce Springsteen

Overboost
04-26-2020, 04:23 PM
Thanks for that additional data point. Normally the dealer is not my first choice, but they got it right on 2 separate body repairs paid by the guys who hit me, so that's really the only place I'm confident of the results, and when my Indy also said go to the dealer, I felt validated with my choice. And everyone here confirmed that their quote was reasonable

and.... the older I get, the faster I was.... too funny! I have memories of and have to hold back retelling stories of "he could throw that fastball by you, make you look like a fool" thanks to Bruce Springsteen"The older I get, the faster I was" quote was a brain storm of Boris Said and Brian Simo sitting on the deck one day overlooking the Pacific ocean back in 90's. No Fear Inc, was owned by Simo and was a surfing and motocross lifestyle clothing brand that used a lot of these brain storm quotes on their t-shirts. I will always remember that one.

RamTheJam
04-27-2020, 07:09 AM
I had my minor fender-bender back bumper repaired and painted for $140, from a prep shop in South Austin.
The color matches, but wasn't sprayed with the metal flake. It looks brand new.
Up close, only I can tell the flake isn't there.
I spent another $100 for a great detail in San Marcos, Texas.
I should have taken the before and aft pics.
Out of pocket and not worth making a claim.

fredo
04-27-2020, 09:48 AM
I had my minor fender-bender back bumper repaired and painted for $140, from a prep shop in South Austin.
The color matches, but wasn't sprayed with the metal flake. It looks brand new.
Up close, only I can tell the flake isn't there.
I spent another $100 for a great detail in San Marcos, Texas.
I should have taken the before and aft pics.
Out of pocket and not worth making a claim.

RamTheJam … pls post the names of both places. That may come handy some day.

pedro2u
05-17-2020, 11:49 AM
Ok, the time has come. Had my car detailed Thursday, and tomorrow the new bumper goes off to paint at the dealer. So from beautiful and shiny - to noseless. And I count about 40 different fasteners in the the bumper parts kit I also bought, quite a disassembly process.

But here's the final question - what is the mesh screen color supposed to be. Mine sure looks silver but I've heard it should be black. If it's black, I'm attaching it to the bumper and having it painted black with the bumper, if silver, I'll rattle can this myself

Guys - Asking for your inputs please!:begging

san
05-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Ok, the time has come. Had my car detailed Thursday, and tomorrow the new bumper goes off to paint at the dealer. So from beautiful and shiny - to noseless. And I count about 40 different fasteners in the the bumper parts kit I also bought, quite a disassembly process.

But here's the final question - what is the mesh screen color supposed to be. Mine sure looks silver but I've heard it should be black. If it's black, I'm attaching it to the bumper and having it painted black with the bumper, if silver, I'll rattle can this myself

Guys - Asking for your inputs please!:begging

Black

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pedro2u
05-17-2020, 12:00 PM
thanks San. I was just looking at the 05 Sedan brochure (attached) and it has an Imola ZHP sedan on page 8 with the black grille too. Anyone have the 2005 convertible brochure? I'd love to have a copy of it - not finding it yet on Google

fredo
05-17-2020, 12:36 PM
Black. I replaced mine, check post #4 on my project thread and you can see "before" and "after" pics.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?15710-Fredo-s-ZHP-Project

Vas
05-17-2020, 12:41 PM
I would replace both parts of it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

fredo
05-17-2020, 12:44 PM
That's right, I failed to replace the part behind the bumper grille. Now I regret it. I believe it's cheap.

fredo
05-17-2020, 12:53 PM
The vert brochure is here. Post #1, then check the 3rd link.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5139-Sales-Brochures-and-Owners-Manuals

pedro2u
05-17-2020, 01:10 PM
Thanks Fredo, I'd found that one too. That's a 2006 brochure and mine's a 2005, probably close enough, but

Black it is. Both the mesh grille and the backing piece both seem to be in really good condition. I just snapped the 2 pieces back together and tossed it in with the bumper to bring to the dealer (along with the license plate holder). The amber side reflectors also popped right out without damage

johnrando
05-17-2020, 01:50 PM
Good choice re black.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

pedro2u
05-18-2020, 02:50 PM
Bumpers at the body shop, and in looking at the scraped up underside of my old bumper makes me wonder if anyone uses or has considered some type of scrape protector under there? I'm replacing the bumper because the passenger side is missing a piece where the fender liner attaches, but lots of scuffing in other spots.

Seems like scuffing is pretty likely to occur on my newly painted one too. Any thoughts or recommendations?

John in VA
05-18-2020, 03:08 PM
Here's some scrape protection I've found but not used. Most are for newer models. Not cheap, but neither is repainting the spoiler:
http://www.protektskidplates.com/bmw-e46-m3.html
https://www.scrapearmor.com/collections/bmw
https://sliplo.com/protection/shop/

pedro2u
05-18-2020, 04:23 PM
wow, not cheap for sure... Thanks for that research

Really was hoping to not drill any holes.. Thinking along the lines of the Lamin-X film used for headlights, transparent but thicker, and self adhesive

maybe a few rolls of this rear bumper protector adhered to the underside of the bumper? Black wouldn't show on my bumper

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Car-Rear-Body-Guard-Bumper-Protector-Trim-Cover-Anti-scrape-Rubber-New/401657125929?epid=20019368070&hash=item5d84a15c29:g:wo4AAOSwv0dcE1n4

johnrando
05-18-2020, 04:29 PM
LMK how that tape goes. I have been thinking about what to use too. Anyone use that SlipLo?

pedro2u
05-18-2020, 05:11 PM
just watched this video on installation on a alfa giulia quadrifoglio, and the front lip is not unlike our M TechII lips. Simple enough.... This might be worth a shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrMxJs0_yrQ

and free shipping and a 10% discount = $89.96:

10% OFF COUPON CODE: ccad10off
PURCHASE AT: https://sliplo.com

pedro2u
05-18-2020, 05:19 PM
and the lift in the video makes my QuickJack look like a wannbe lift :jawdrop

pedro2u
05-18-2020, 07:44 PM
Thanks John in VA and Rando... that video sold me and I pulled the trigger on the SLiPLO

https://sliplo.com/protection/product/diy-kit/

I'll talk to the guy in the body shop to see if he has any concerns about me installing it over fresh paint. He told me today that the paint will be totally cured in the baking process when he returns it to me but I should wait at least 30 days, preferably 60 days before sealing or waxing. I'll see if he thinks I can install this right away

johnrando
05-18-2020, 07:46 PM
Sweet, a guinea pig! Def interested in your results. :)

pedro2u
05-18-2020, 07:51 PM
As the designated guinea pig, I'm hoping to be able to apply this while the bumper is off the car. Would be so much easier.. Or I could buy that BendPak lift in the video for $6K...... NOT!

Galapolis
05-18-2020, 07:54 PM
just watched this video on installation on a alfa giulia quadrifoglio

*Giulietta

pedro2u
05-18-2020, 08:05 PM
https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/giulia/quadrifoglio

ciao :)

Galapolis
05-18-2020, 09:01 PM
The video you linked shows a Giulietta or are you referring to a different video?

pedro2u
05-19-2020, 03:59 AM
ah, right, thought you meant I misspelled it. I'm definitely not an Alfa aficionado! In fact had to look it up. Thanks for the correction :cheers

sillieidiot
05-19-2020, 12:40 PM
I just made my own using plastic and painted it black. Stuck it on with double sided tape. It worked really good lol. Then I remade them in aluminum and powder-coated it black. After awhile they became a guillotine and I killed a wild rabbit with it lol It worked great until I hit something large and it fell off. I have some CF pieces I'm going to try to use this time around.

PPF film helps, but if you scrape hard it just goes right through it still. My whole bumper is wrapped and I have some shredded parts lol

pedro2u
05-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Got the bumper back from the BMW dealer's body shop today. Dealer also painted the mesh and the license plate holder too, all came out great...

and before you say it, :facepalm that's a reflection of my socket extender at the bottom left of the bumper........

Only remaining issue is the amber reflectors. I fought the first one attempting to reinstall it to the point of cracking it. Pretty brittle. But it was so tight that I went and got my calipers to measure it. The inside measurement of the reflector is about 31mm and the opening is 30mm? HUH? Then I went and measured my old bumper and it appears to have been be filed/routed? It's opening is 32mm which explains why the 31mm reflector fit the old bumper. The reflector is spring loaded to hold it in place.

So ordering a set of reflectors...... could be some filing/sanding involved to gain a least a mm more clearance. Anyone else ever had this issue?

But here's the result after a few hours work installing the bumper:

fredo
05-20-2020, 01:16 PM
Looks really nice and shiny ! Hope you can fit the amber reflectors easily.

pedro2u
05-20-2020, 01:54 PM
those reflectors..... I ordered replacements. I think my dremel is going to see some action,,,,

Overboost
05-28-2020, 04:27 PM
There's a bumper in that shot? All I see is the Quickjack:thumbup

pedro2u
05-28-2020, 04:42 PM
There's a bumper in that shot? All I see is the Quickjack:thumbup

love that thing. And that will make putting on the Sliplo protector even easier this weekend!

pedro2u
06-05-2020, 09:43 AM
Finished installing the Sliplo to protect my new bumper. Seeing all the "bruised" spots on the old bumper from the first picture, I was able to cover most of those areas sufficiently. Hard to get a good picture on the car, but I snapped a shot of the center to show the 2 rows I installed. Pretty satisfied that it should save me from some of the less severe "groundings" in the future. BTW, it's not visible from above

Heads up, the video's imply that you can easily move it around as you're laying it out/aligning it, but for me, once you touch the adhesive backed rubber to the bumper, that's where it's staying. Luckily it was close enough to where I wanted it, because no minor adjustments could be made

fredo
06-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Glad to see the Sliplo is installed. Any news about the side markers ?

pedro2u
06-05-2020, 11:13 AM
Glad to see the Sliplo is installed. Any news about the side markers ?

Sort of. The clear markers arrived and last night I carefully used a sanding bit on my Dremel tool to grind out a little bit of the bumper at a time. I was afraid to grind off to much material. I did the left one first, and after multiple passes with the Dremel I was able to finally pop it in and be really tight. Took some force to pop it in which should have been a lesson to me - it didn't need to be that tight!

On the right, I ground it down about the same amount as the left and attempted to "force" it in. With it 90% in, and me still forcing it, the marker chipped in the top left corner as it popped in

It barely shows, but it's going to bug me forever. So I ordered another one which should arrive next week (when I'll grind some more bumper off first!)

Looks great though!

And you can also just see the lip of the Sliplo on the bottom of the bumper in the picture

johnrando
06-05-2020, 11:29 AM
Thx for the update! Glad the slipplo worked and glad the reflectors do (w minor mods). Maybe order another set for backup just in case, as now that opening is best set for those and it might lessen the chances of other available replacements.

pedro2u
06-05-2020, 11:44 AM
Both the OEM and the Depo markers are the same size about 31mm. It's the new OEM bumper that had a smaller opening for the reflector which was only 30mm. The previous bumper was more forgiving with a 32mm opening. So I had to grind off close to 2mm (some of which was paint)

I will say the Depo marker is more fragile around the edges than the OEM

johnrando
06-06-2020, 10:05 AM
Oh, I see.