PDA

View Full Version : I Need to Replace My Shocks!

e46.matt
07-06-2020, 09:26 PM
So I have to replace all four of my shocks, I'm wondering what brand people recommend for a comfy daily ride, but aggressive when I need it to be. I have an e30, and the two good shock options I know of are Bilstein and Koni, but I don't know if those brands translate over to e46s and are still good options. Let me know what you guys recommend!

Thanks, Matt

usinjin
07-06-2020, 11:56 PM
I'm about to do this too. I don't need to lower my car any further so I'm keeping stock springs (they look good still), and going for the magic Koni yellow struts + shocks.

Galapolis
07-07-2020, 02:39 AM
You can't go wrong with Sachs Advantage. If you are looking for an upgrade in both comfort and performance, look at the Koni Special Active.

John in VA
07-07-2020, 06:07 AM
There are many threads in the Suspension section - check it out!
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?99-Suspension

webster
07-07-2020, 08:29 AM
Koni Special Actives are very popular, as are the Koni Yellows (adjustable, slightly firmer/more aggressive than the SA's). the SA's are the evolution of the FSD's which were popular for a number of years.

t.er
07-07-2020, 09:07 AM
Depends what your budget and use case is. I have Bilstein B4s in my car which from what I've read online, are about 10% stiffer than stock, and are an excellent OE-like replacement. But for what I use my car for, I really regret not spending a bit extra and getting Koni Yellows

e46.matt
07-07-2020, 11:27 AM
Depends what your budget and use case is. I have Bilstein B4s in my car which from what I've read online, are about 10% stiffer than stock, and are an excellent OE-like replacement. But for what I use my car for, I really regret not spending a bit extra and getting Koni Yellows

What’s the difference with the Koni yellows form the B4s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t.er
07-07-2020, 11:36 AM
What’s the difference with the Koni yellows form the B4s?

The Konis have adjustable damping, allowing you to tune the damping to your specific spring rate (if aftermarket springs), and you can change settings for street/track. I believe the Yellows also have higher damping rates than the B4s.

e46.matt
07-09-2020, 07:49 PM
So when I look up the Koni Special Active shocks on ECSTuning there are two options, ones that fit cars with sport suspension and without sport suspension. Which one go I get if I have a ZHP coupe?

t.er
07-09-2020, 08:06 PM
So when I look up the Koni Special Active shocks on ECSTuning there are two options, ones that fit cars with sport suspension and without sport suspension. Which one go I get if I have a ZHP coupe?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSports suspension, as all ZHPs had them

e46.matt
07-09-2020, 08:07 PM
Sports suspension, as all ZHPs had them

Ok ya that’s what I figured

NorCalZman
07-10-2020, 07:36 AM
give us a full review after you put in the Special Actives.

e46.matt
07-11-2020, 06:44 PM
give us a full review after you put in the Special Actives.

I definitely will post a new thread about it so stay posted!