PDA

View Full Version : Making windows smoother?

Dathaeus
07-09-2020, 05:04 PM
Having busted a couple regulators now and sometimes windows crackling when opening, do you guys treat them regularly with like oils or Vaseline or whatever to keep them more, ummm, "smooth?"

Sometimes I feel like something is actually cracking when they first start down, not a great feeling... And clearly causes more resistance on the start.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

John in VA
07-09-2020, 05:27 PM
You can spray silicone into the vertical weatherstrip channel to make it a bit smoother. Any crackling you hear is the regulator.

Dathaeus
07-09-2020, 05:35 PM
You can spray silicone into the vertical weatherstrip channel to make it a bit smoother. Any crackling you hear is the regulator.

Any silicone or.... I think if I went to home depot they gave like ten different kinds...

And that means my driver side crackling means that will also bust soon?

Galapolis
07-09-2020, 05:44 PM
I have crackling too but it's not the regulator. My window fell out of the regulator one day and became wedged between the rails. I may have damaged the rails while realigning the window and reattaching it to the regulator. But now when closing the window, it moves up at the wrong angle, causing a crackling sound as it twists into the correct position to follow the rails. You might want to observe if the window moves up in a straight line or if it twists.

John in VA
07-09-2020, 05:48 PM
If you've damaged/misaligned the red clip or bolt that holds the glass, or that area of the glass that's another issue!

John in VA
07-09-2020, 05:54 PM
Any silicone or.... I think if I went to home depot they gave like ten different kinds...

PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, 3M - they all work.

Galapolis
07-09-2020, 06:00 PM
If you've damaged/misaligned the red clip or bolt that holds the glass, or that area of the glass that's another issue!

Might use this as an excuse to try those plexiglass rear windows.

Dathaeus
07-09-2020, 06:02 PM

36877LOL even have a picture of a car window on the product
Thanks!

Dathaeus
07-09-2020, 06:03 PM

36877I assumed you just spray it along the edges of the windows only, and not the whole window overall

John in VA
07-09-2020, 06:13 PM
I assumed you just spray it along the edges of the windows only, and not the whole window overall
I lower the window & spray it into the rubber (or fabric, depending on the car) weatherstrip channel as deep into the door as possible. Run the window up/down a few times; repeat as necessary.

Dathaeus
07-09-2020, 06:15 PM
I lower the window & spray it into the rubber (or fabric, depending on the car) weatherstrip channel as deep into the door as possible. Run the window up/down a few times; repeat as necessary.Thanks!
Also found some videos, the one you showed seems very popular [emoji106]

Hoonin88
10-07-2020, 11:03 AM
Which cheap ebay regulator are people going with these days? My Passenger front sounds like its chewing gravel...time to replace.

az3579
10-07-2020, 11:06 AM
Which cheap ebay regulator are people going with these days? My Passenger front sounds like its chewing gravel...time to replace.

eBay - yuck
Buy a good one from FCP Euro and never have to buy another regulator again, just keep doing warranty claims.

Hoonin88
10-07-2020, 11:24 AM
How do you go about getting shipping expenses reimbursed? At $30 a pop with free shipping on eBay for an item that is notorious for breaking, I will probably take my chances. Of the 2 I've replaced 4 years ago- only 1 has started to give me issues...I just can't remember where i got it or find my receipt hahaha.

Galapolis
10-07-2020, 11:43 AM
How do you go about getting shipping expenses reimbursed? At $30 a pop with free shipping on eBay for an item that is notorious for breaking, I will probably take my chances. Of the 2 I've replaced 4 years ago- only 1 has started to give me issues...I just can't remember where i got it or find my receipt hahaha.

You can getting shipping reimbursed through PayPal, making FCP claims truly free. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?23172-Possible-FCP-Euro-Lifehack

Hoonin88
10-07-2020, 12:36 PM
You can getting shipping reimbursed through PayPal, making FCP claims truly free. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?23172-Possible-FCP-Euro-Lifehack

Thanks for the link! I had heard about that before but wasn’t totally sure how it worked.

das boots
10-08-2020, 06:45 PM

So all we do is use Paypal to pay FCP Euro?

t.er
10-08-2020, 06:50 PM
So all we do is use Paypal to pay FCP Euro?For the replacement yes. Then once the warranty return arrives back at FCP and you receive confirmation of that, you submit that along with the receipt for return shipping to PayPal and they will refund that amount back to your account

HiFiGuy
10-29-2020, 02:34 PM

Take it from me, having replaced three of the four regulators in my former 325i ZSP sedan with regulators from eBay, and then having all three of them fail within the year, buy once, cry once. Get them from FCP, and get OE versions. Not necessary to get original BMW, unless there aren't OE ones. They will last you until you sell the car, if you install them properly and maintain them. And if not, you get more for free.