PDA

View Full Version : Chronic Oil Filter Gasket Problem

DaveInMD
07-13-2020, 02:26 PM
Friends - My preventative maintenance has turned to chronic maintenance. Several weeks ago I changed out alternator and the oil filter housing gasket. Later noticed oil on the garage floor. Looked like it was coming from the OFG housing. Took apart, cleaned up and put in new OFG. Took great care to make sure the two faces of the housing were clean and so everything would get seated properly. Now getting more abundant leak. took a good look at the pan gasket and everything seems to be okay there. About to tear down the OFHousing and try again. Must be something I am not considering . . . a special Bavarian chant as I am tightening down the bolts? Any suggestions are appreciated. Best, Dave M.

Pilot05
07-13-2020, 03:05 PM
Friends - My preventative maintenance has turned to chronic maintenance. Several weeks ago I changed out alternator and the oil filter housing gasket. Later noticed oil on the garage floor. Looked like it was coming from the OFG housing. Took apart, cleaned up and put in new OFG. Took great care to make sure the two faces of the housing were clean and so everything would get seated properly. Now getting more abundant leak. took a good look at the pan gasket and everything seems to be okay there. About to tear down the OFHousing and try again. Must be something I am not considering . . . a special Bavarian chant as I am tightening down the bolts? Any suggestions are appreciated. Best, Dave M.

Unusual. At the risk of stating obvious, don’t be tempted to tighten it more...if you strip alum threads it’s a problem.

Are you using a good quality gasket not bought on EBay?

I have heard of the OFH warping, but it’s rare. If I were you I would place it on a piece of glass and check it
I have also heard replacement OFH’s (i.e non original) sometimes have trouble sealing. Is yours original?

Are all the locating dowels still in place ?

The gasket does the sealing. I tighten evenly with a quarter-inch ratchet by hand and usually don’t have a pblm.
Clean it all well, and give it another go.

DaveInMD
07-13-2020, 06:04 PM
Unusual. At the risk of stating obvious, don’t be tempted to tighten it more...if you strip alum threads it’s a problem.

Are you using a good quality gasket not bought on EBay?

I have heard of the OFH warping, but it’s rare. If I were you I would place it on a piece of glass and check it
I have also heard replacement OFH’s (i.e non original) sometimes have trouble sealing. Is yours original?

Are all the locating dowels still in place ?

The gasket does the sealing. I tighten evenly with a quarter-inch ratchet by hand and usually don’t have a pblm.
Clean it all well, and give it another go.

Just wrapped up but I saw this as I started removing the housing. Good to think of these things and look at some issues with a closer eye. My wife looked at me oddly when I said "Can you go up in the guest room and get that drawing of Paris that used to be in the kids bathroom -- and bring me down the glass -- just the glass."

we'll see how she runs in the next few days. Thanks again. Be well.

ZHPizza
07-13-2020, 06:23 PM
Interested to hear if it's warped! That may have happened with mine too, but the leak has been small enough that I haven't bothered to do it again.

Will
07-13-2020, 07:34 PM
"Can you go up in the guest room and get that drawing of Paris that used to be in the kids bathroom -- and bring me down the glass -- just the glass."

So.... what's up with this glass? I wanna be in on this joke, too.

johnrando
07-13-2020, 09:01 PM
GL and keep us posted

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

John in VA
07-14-2020, 07:45 AM
So.... what's up with this glass? I wanna be in on this joke, too.
He's using the piece of flat glass to check that the OFH isn't warped.

WOLFN8TR
07-14-2020, 02:15 PM
Are you using the OE Nitrile buna gasket or the Viton Hi-Temp version? I applied a thin coating of Hi Temp sealant and the installed the gasket. Never leaked afterwards. The Viton version is $30 vs the $8 OE one but worth it in my opinion. Take a look at the heat ratings of the material.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200714/d4b9a8dd9e49932186b259292d82968f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200714/1b9b7cc7000687ed78326a931fe32199.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200714/df794ce180e6c91a3f9172de90c3f443.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200714/ec956aeda16d6f3df80e9f09cea30867.jpg

Will
07-14-2020, 06:32 PM
He's using the piece of flat glass to check that the OFH isn't warped.

Ah! Thanks.

JFern
07-16-2020, 01:34 PM
I had this problem once, the issue was tightening down the bolts one at a time. If you tighten them all evenly in small increments to the torque spec, it pulls the housing down gradually and evenly ensuring a good seal.