PDA

View Full Version : Electric Cars to Replace Your ZHP... Eventually?

Dathaeus
07-17-2020, 07:42 AM
With the popularity and viability of electric getting higher, any of you who have been enjoying the e46 for a while decided to electric, and what are your comments if so?

Obviously you need a home where charging is easy and can't be the type to want long road trips regularly, but otherwise so many positives.

The i3 is ridiculously ugly but the i8 is amazing...besides that, many other models and brands here and coming out, with improved range and battery, and the 0-60 like 1.9s from Tesla, that's getting close to fighter jet acceleration... For regular car price.

I personally do enjoy the gas engine noise and shifting etc, but I could easily get over that for other benefits, like that acceleration.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reasoned1
07-17-2020, 01:49 PM
NEVER... F'ING NEVER...

az3579
07-17-2020, 02:08 PM
NEVER... F'ING NEVER...

This.

28firefighter
07-17-2020, 02:29 PM
I'm in the middle of a 24 month lease on a BMW i3 REx with Tera, Tech, and HK that serves as my daily. For our family, it is an ideal around town car - small, maneuverable, and very efficient. It is also incredibly cheap to lease/operate - my lease was $225 at signing and $225/month for 23 more payments including tax, tags, etc thanks to some incredible BMW incentives when I got it last year. It only costs me about $12/month in electricity. I recognize that I will unlikely be able to find another car this cheap to run ever again.

It is nothing like the ZHP (or our Outback) and isn't supposed to be. Looks are...well, it grows on you. It is actually pretty fun to tool around in though, as mentioned, not particularly fast.

When the lease is up I'm seriously considering moving the ZHP to daily driver status since I'll be WFH anyway for the foreseeable future.

johnrando
07-17-2020, 02:58 PM
I would take and I8 IN ADDITION to me ZHP. No effin way I give up my ZHP until I can't drive it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Galapolis
07-17-2020, 03:59 PM
I'm not giving up on the E46 until you literally can't buy gas anymore. And even then I'd rather try to convert a rotary engine to hydrogen than go electric.

Now if we're talking about an electric car in ADDITION to the ZHP, my first choice would be the Opel Corsa-E. I think it looks really cool and seems like a great compact option for getting around town or to work. It's also got that slowcarfast feel about it that I love. I might also be persuaded to get a Mazda MX-30, IF ONLY for the suicide doors.

Will
07-17-2020, 04:43 PM
I had similar perspective - BEV? No way! - until I leased myself a 2015 i3 BEV (Giga, Parking + Tech Pkg). With exception of the range (about 75 miles with that battery size at the time) it relegated my e46m3 to the garage, which was fine by me.

Mileage-wise over the 32 months: ~38k miles on the i3, and ~1.5k miles on the m3 (and this included a ~550 mile round trip to Vegas).

The i3 was just a fantastic car, the only downside was the limited range which has improved since I had my '15. It's nice to just hop in a car and go, with all of the latest tech, safety upgrades, and none of the worries about maintenance.

What I liked:
- Elevated seating position, for looking further down the road and for not having to step up or drop down for ingress / egress (I appreciate the little things, and I'm lazy like that. lol)
- Fantastic visibility
- Carbon fiber chassis and the torsional rigidity. I had no shakes/rattles. This is a safer platform than e46, too.
- Low C.G.
- Rear weight bias
- Instant torque, was zippy around town and even getting onto freeway.
- Spaciousness - I had 4 adults in the car and everyone, including those in backseats, noted how spacious it was
- Large door aperture for ease of ingress / egress
- How quiet it was, great for DD.
- BMW suspension tuning. Fun to drive, familiar handling to other BMWs.
- Seats are really supportive and surprisingly comfortable, could use slightly more side bolstering but that never was a problem
- The tech, like radar cruise control (this is great for slow moving traffic)
- LED headlights (better than the xenons imo)
- Plastic body panels that didn't get door dings
- Nothing to maintain (other than brake fluid flush every 2 years; I didn't change tires in 38k miles)
- Nothing to warm up, just get in and go
- The crazy subsidized lease by BMW (I was at $257/mo including taxes, $0 down, 15k miles/yr, for 30 months (I extended 2 additional months)), and then I received rebates from CA and then from my electric company... I think it basically dropped my out of pocket to about 180 or so. Really good for a car that had a $48k MSRP.
- At that time BMW had a program with EVGo for free charging. I was utilizing this for 20-30 min top offs. Charging at work was free. I spent <$250 in charging fees away from home, and probably $5-10 additional on the monthly electric bill, for the duration of the lease. Previously, I was spending $250-400 / month just on gas for the m3 for commuting (~55 miles each way to UCLA, or ~30 miles each way to Long Beach).

What I didn't like:
- the 64ah (or whatever it was) battery that limited my range to about 75 miles. This has since been improved.
- I didn't have a 240v outlet at my house - I was too cheap and didn't know if I'd still have BEV after the i3.
- The snootiness and holier-than-thou attitude of some BEV drivers, reminds me of when the Prius first came out. Although they prob comprise of a small minority of the owners they are insufferable imo.

If I didn't have the i3 as my DD, my m3 would have had 38K more miles along with the associated maintenance, tires, and fuel costs.

It's too bad they look to be discontinuing the i3 BEV, I'd get another to use as a DD and keep my 6mt m3 (or similar) as the occasional fun car. It's a great combo.

Edit: BEV as my only car, I'd learn to live with it and I'd probably be fairly happy. Let's say 95%, but that last 5% is significant.

28firefighter
07-17-2020, 05:10 PM
I had similar perspective - BEV? No way! - until I leased myself a 2015 i3 BEV (Giga, Parking + Tech Pkg). With exception of the range (about 75 miles with that battery size at the time) it relegated my e46m3 to the garage, which was fine by me.

Mileage-wise over the 32 months: ~38k miles on the i3, and ~1.5k miles on the m3 (and this included a ~550 mile round trip to Vegas).

The i3 was just a fantastic car, the only downside was the limited range which has improved since I had my '15. It's nice to just hop in a car and go, with all of the latest tech, safety upgrades, and none of the worries about maintenance.

What I liked:
- Elevated seating position, for looking further down the road and for not having to step up or drop down for ingress / egress (I appreciate the little things, and I'm lazy like that. lol)
- Fantastic visibility
- Carbon fiber chassis and the torsional rigidity. I had no shakes/rattles. This is a safer platform than e46, too.
- Low C.G.
- Rear weight bias
- Instant torque, was zippy around town and even getting onto freeway.
- Spaciousness - I had 4 adults in the car and everyone, including those in backseats, noted how spacious it was
- Large door aperture for ease of ingress / egress
- How quiet it was, great for DD.
- BMW suspension tuning. Fun to drive, familiar handling to other BMWs.
- Seats are really supportive and surprisingly comfortable, could use slightly more side bolstering but that never was a problem
- The tech, like radar cruise control (this is great for slow moving traffic)
- LED headlights (better than the xenons imo)
- Plastic body panels that didn't get door dings
- Nothing to maintain (other than brake fluid flush every 2 years; I didn't change tires in 38k miles)
- Nothing to warm up, just get in and go
- The crazy subsidized lease by BMW (I was at $257/mo including taxes, $0 down, 15k miles/yr, for 30 months (I extended 2 additional months)), and then I received rebates from CA and then from my electric company... I think it basically dropped my out of pocket to about 180 or so. Really good for a car that had a $48k MSRP.
- At that time BMW had a program with EVGo for free charging. I was utilizing this for 20-30 min top offs. Charging at work was free. I spent <$250 in charging fees away from home, and probably $5-10 additional on the monthly electric bill, for the duration of the lease. Previously, I was spending $250-400 / month just on gas for the m3 for commuting (~55 miles each way to UCLA, or ~30 miles each way to Long Beach).

What I didn't like:
- the 64ah (or whatever it was) battery that limited my range to about 75 miles. This has since been improved.
- I didn't have a 240v outlet at my house - I was too cheap and didn't know if I'd still have BEV after the i3.
- The snootiness and holier-than-thou attitude of some BEV drivers, reminds me of when the Prius first came out. Although they prob comprise of a small minority of the owners they are insufferable imo.

If I didn't have the i3 as my DD, my m3 would have had 38K more miles along with the associated maintenance, tires, and fuel costs.

It's too bad they look to be discontinuing the i3 BEV, I'd get another to use as a DD and keep my 6mt m3 (or similar) as the occasional fun car. It's a great combo.

Edit: BEV as my only car, I'd learn to live with it and I'd probably be fairly happy. Let's say 95%, but that last 5% is significant.

Well articulated! The extra range on the 2019 is super helpful - I drove mine 180 miles home from the dealer and made it 140 before the range extender kicked on.

Will
07-17-2020, 05:50 PM
Well articulated! The extra range on the 2019 is super helpful - I drove mine 180 miles home from the dealer and made it 140 before the range extender kicked on.

Thanks! I would have loved the additional range of the larger batteries from later models like yours. At 140 miles, multiple-stop outings would have been possible for my commutes, and I wouldn't have to be concerned whether the interim destinations 1) had a charging station, and 2) it was available when I arrived. Game changer.

Great, now I'm browsing for used i3 BEVs... not that I need another car at the moment.

28firefighter
07-17-2020, 05:53 PM
I don’t know where you are, but...

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/2019-bmw-i3-bev-lease-transfer-in-socal-155-mo/275233/5

Dathaeus
07-17-2020, 05:58 PM
Wow, surprise some of you have already transitioned/tried the EV... not much love for the Tesla though huh... That acceleration for the price though, crazy!

fredo
07-17-2020, 06:25 PM
I'm interested on the i3. My mechanic bought a new one some years ago, he said they wanted to get familiar with the technology. Maybe some day I will join the fun. :dunno

pedro2u
07-17-2020, 07:14 PM
you can give it a short term try here:

https://www.swapalease.com/lease/BMW/i3/search.aspx

t.er
07-17-2020, 08:47 PM
Wow, surprise some of you have already transitioned/tried the EV... not much love for the Tesla though huh... That acceleration for the price though, crazy!

Yeah, but their build quality is very inconsistent, granted they're getting much better. They're certainly cool cars though, but I can't stand the HMI in the 3/Y. I need physical buttons for HVAC at the minimum.

I'm with most of y'all, nothing will replace the E46. I wouldn't mind an EV as a daily in addition to the E46, just because running costs are so much lower. I haven't put too much thought into what I'd get, since that depends on what my budget would be if I was to get one. Perhaps I may make my own instead, one of my old colleagues converted an E46 into an EV (https://hackaday.io/project/4649-diy-electric-vehicle-from-recycled-parts)

Dathaeus
07-17-2020, 09:53 PM
Yeah, but their build quality is very inconsistent, granted they're getting much better. They're certainly cool cars though, but I can't stand the HMI in the 3/Y. I need physical buttons for HVAC at the minimum.

I'm with most of y'all, nothing will replace the E46. I wouldn't mind an EV as a daily in addition to the E46, just because running costs are so much lower. I haven't put too much thought into what I'd get, since that depends on what my budget would be if I was to get one. Perhaps I may make my own instead, one of my old colleagues converted an E46 into an EV (https://hackaday.io/project/4649-diy-electric-vehicle-from-recycled-parts)Wow no way... Did you learn if he made a video about it, and how hard it was, or how hard that is for a regular owner to do with limited mechanic experience?

Just seeing if that's an extreme outlier solution or with a little elbow grease, can anyone with a little talent do it.

t.er
07-17-2020, 10:02 PM
Wow no way... Did you learn if he made a video about it, and how hard it was, or how hard that is for a regular owner to do with limited mechanic experience?

Just seeing if that's an extreme outlier solution or with a little elbow grease, can anyone with a little talent do it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using TapatalkFWIW we were both working at Tesla at the time lol. Converting a car to EV isn't exactly the most straightforward process, especially with the way he did it.

The easiest way to do it would be to buy a complete kit, such as this one (https://youtu.be/PX5XE5mMF38). Even then, as a one-man operation with someone extremely mechanically competent (they wouldn't blink at removing & reinstalling an engine, for example) it would likely take months of work. Especially since custom fab would be required to mechanically integrate it to the car.

Dathaeus
07-17-2020, 10:07 PM
FWIW we were both working at Tesla at the time lol. Converting a car to EV isn't exactly the most straightforward process, especially with the way he did it.

The easiest way to do it would be to buy a complete kit, such as this one (https://youtu.be/PX5XE5mMF38). Even then, as a one-man operation with someone extremely mechanically competent (they wouldn't blink at removing & reinstalling an engine, for example) it would likely take months of work. Especially since custom fab would be required to mechanically integrate it to the car.Haha yea, well, that's a no LOL...

I'll just save up for a used Model S as a second car, I think I'll always need an ICE for a whole until I get too old to care.

az3579
07-18-2020, 08:27 AM

My problem with Tesla is that even if they were the best cars in the world, I'll still never buy one one as long as that company has the shitty attitude about right-to-repair in the same way that Apple does. They make it almost impossible for regular folks to repair their own Teslas, and Tesla can disable stuff on a whim whenever they feel like it if they feel you're violating the terms of whatever agreement they think you're violating. This whole car-as-a-service crap really pisses me off, and it annoys me that the Germans are now following suit. Once we buy a car, it should be OURS to do with however we please.

fredo
07-18-2020, 10:54 AM
If I needed to pull the trigger today, it would be a white i3 like this one.

28firefighter
07-18-2020, 11:01 AM
That’s what I have over dark truffle (brown) leather. I just washed and waxed mine - will snap a few photos later if I remember.

fredo
07-18-2020, 11:07 AM
That’s what I have over dark truffle (brown) leather. I just washed and waxed mine - will snap a few photos later if I remember.

Sweet, please do.

Dathaeus
07-18-2020, 11:50 AM
My problem with Tesla is that even if they were the best cars in the world, I'll still never buy one one as long as that company has the shitty attitude about right-to-repair in the same way that Apple does. They make it almost impossible for regular folks to repair their own Teslas, and Tesla can disable stuff on a whim whenever they feel like it if they feel you're violating the terms of whatever agreement they think you're violating. This whole car-as-a-service crap really pisses me off, and it annoys me that the Germans are now following suit. Once we buy a car, it should be OURS to do with however we please.Agreed on that... They should offer an option for that, not base.

Dathaeus
07-18-2020, 11:51 AM
If I needed to pull the trigger today, it would be a white i3 like this one.

36897Honestly, do you actually like the design of that, or you exercising more latitude because it's a BMW

I just feel like it reminds me of an insect or bug/beetle too much, and I hate insects and bugs.

fredo
07-18-2020, 12:17 PM
Compared to my other option (Toyota Prius) the i3 looks more appealing. I like it, but I agree the design is not for everybody.

Dathaeus
07-18-2020, 12:21 PM
Compared to my other option (Toyota Prius) the i3 looks more appealing. I like it, but I agree the design is not for everybody.I think it was their way of designing something "different" just like Tesla is trying to do with their new lines...

It's unreal how uncreative these world top designers are SMH...

28firefighter
07-18-2020, 02:03 PM
Sweet, please do.

For you!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200718/07227bbde8aa2a76689f3309196a3c81.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200718/e9fcaa3fe417a503915329efdd08618a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
07-18-2020, 02:45 PM
I have a Tesla Model 3. Bought it in addition to my E46. I don't think it will ever replace the E46 as a fun car anyways. As a DD, the tesla is great. Has all the convenience features. Ride is somewhat comfy, at least more comfortable than my E46. It's high, I don't mod it for shit lol Takes no gas. But as a fun car? Nah no way lol Everyone always asks me how does the car drive? I tell them, it's boring as shit lol

Like if you're all about straight line speed. Sure it's good at that. But that weight makes you understeer like crazy. Pretty much my driving through process is, oh shit corner, ok wait it out, ok it looks straight enough, ok I can speed now. Oh fuck another corner, slow down like crazy, wait again, then speed lol. The E46 is like the opposite, great through the corners, you can go WOT in the straights too, but just the car is slow out of the corner. I've has the Model 3 for like almost 2 years now. I still can't drive it like it's part of my limbs. The side mirrors suck, blind spots are bad. The car is larger than it looks. But you can go on road trips on it no problem. I mean I drove from CA to CO (in CO right now lol) no problem. Hit like 5 SC stations along the way. Drives itself on the highway. On the mountains though, it's not as good around turns and stuff. I feel like Autopilot is only like 40% of the way there for uncommon roads. On highways it's great though.

I feel like most people that think that the Tesla is an amazing car, comes from cars that are of lower quality. It's a downgrade from our car in every way except tech IMO. Build quality? Awful. Even though, I have a car with the best build quality that I could get at the time, but panel gaps :slap. My car had a missing stud/lug from the factory on one of my hubs. When I go to open stuff up in the car, clips that were supposed to be there are missing, why? Auto wipers? They suck cause no rain sensor. But it's getting slightly better. The quality of materials? eh. My HVAC is already smelling like mildew and stuff. It was doing it before, but I wasn't using it all that much at least until now. My driver's side window sometimes doesn't roll up, etc. lol I don't have any major issues with the car, but if you add up all the small ones it's a little annoying. The other biggest issue I have with Tesla is there CS. My god it sucks. Can't contact them, when I do, they just give me form replies. It's literally like calling AT&T to cancel something. You just get bounced around. Pisses me off.

But yeah, I haven't driven my E46 for as long as I had my Tesla cause it's been in the shop lol But driving the Tesla, just makes me miss the E46 way more. The steering in the Tesla is numb like any other electric steering. But the steering is direct? I can't think of the word exactly, but like when you steer, it translates directly. It's just the feedback you get from the wheels to the tires are like barely anything or there's a lag. I don't like using the sport mode for the steering. To me, it feels as though it introduces real life lag LOL Most of the time I don't even drive on freeways. I just use autopilot. I also use the auto-lane change because the mirrors I can't trust, and when I go to turn my head, can't see shit either. The camera/sensors for changing lanes is more trust worthy lol. The brakes on the Tesla OMG sucks ass. Like brakes only. I use regen most of the time, but whenever I don't have that, it's like you're trying to stop a truck with just a parking brake LOL

Dathaeus
07-18-2020, 04:07 PM
I have a Tesla Model 3. Bought it in addition to my E46. I don't think it will ever replace the E46 as a fun car anyways. As a DD, the tesla is great. Has all the convenience features. Ride is somewhat comfy, at least more comfortable than my E46. It's high, I don't mod it for shit lol Takes no gas. But as a fun car? Nah no way lol Everyone always asks me how does the car drive? I tell them, it's boring as shit lol

Like if you're all about straight line speed. Sure it's good at that. But that weight makes you understeer like crazy. Pretty much my driving through process is, oh shit corner, ok wait it out, ok it looks straight enough, ok I can speed now. Oh fuck another corner, slow down like crazy, wait again, then speed lol. The E46 is like the opposite, great through the corners, you can go WOT in the straights too, but just the car is slow out of the corner. I've has the Model 3 for like almost 2 years now. I still can't drive it like it's part of my limbs. The side mirrors suck, blind spots are bad. The car is larger than it looks. But you can go on road trips on it no problem. I mean I drove from CA to CO (in CO right now lol) no problem. Hit like 5 SC stations along the way. Drives itself on the highway. On the mountains though, it's not as good around turns and stuff. I feel like Autopilot is only like 40% of the way there for uncommon roads. On highways it's great though.

I feel like most people that think that the Tesla is an amazing car, comes from cars that are of lower quality. It's a downgrade from our car in every way except tech IMO. Build quality? Awful. Even though, I have a car with the best build quality that I could get at the time, but panel gaps :slap. My car had a missing stud/lug from the factory on one of my hubs. When I go to open stuff up in the car, clips that were supposed to be there are missing, why? Auto wipers? They suck cause no rain sensor. But it's getting slightly better. The quality of materials? eh. My HVAC is already smelling like mildew and stuff. It was doing it before, but I wasn't using it all that much at least until now. My driver's side window sometimes doesn't roll up, etc. lol I don't have any major issues with the car, but if you add up all the small ones it's a little annoying. The other biggest issue I have with Tesla is there CS. My god it sucks. Can't contact them, when I do, they just give me form replies. It's literally like calling AT&T to cancel something. You just get bounced around. Pisses me off.

But yeah, I haven't driven my E46 for as long as I had my Tesla cause it's been in the shop lol But driving the Tesla, just makes me miss the E46 way more. The steering in the Tesla is numb like any other electric steering. But the steering is direct? I can't think of the word exactly, but like when you steer, it translates directly. It's just the feedback you get from the wheels to the tires are like barely anything or there's a lag. I don't like using the sport mode for the steering. To me, it feels as though it introduces real life lag LOL Most of the time I don't even drive on freeways. I just use autopilot. I also use the auto-lane change because the mirrors I can't trust, and when I go to turn my head, can't see shit either. The camera/sensors for changing lanes is more trust worthy lol. The brakes on the Tesla OMG sucks ass. Like brakes only. I use regen most of the time, but whenever I don't have that, it's like you're trying to stop a truck with just a parking brake LOLHot dang man, I think you just convinced me to forget that and wait until they bring out a real sports sedan... Ya I can throw my ZHP around almost anyway I want... The popo honestly is the only limiting factor.

holyc0w
07-18-2020, 04:11 PM
I quite like the idea of the i3, and it would make a good daily/commuter car. It makes sense too if you have a short commute especially in the winter, because you don't have to wait for the engine to warm up to get usable heat. And your car isn't running rich the whole time. No mayo concerns.

28firefighter
07-18-2020, 04:16 PM
I quite like the idea of the i3, and it would make a good daily/commuter car. It makes sense too if you have a short commute especially in the winter, because you don't have to wait for the engine to warm up to get usable heat. And your car isn't running rich the whole time. No mayo concerns.
To take that a step further, I use the connect app to cool the car off in summer before I get in and heat it up in winter. It’s very effective and you can run it in your garage with the door closed because no combustion.

Dathaeus
07-18-2020, 04:49 PM
The more I listen the more I see that EV is made for a specific target...

Getting more and more clarification through this process....

Thanks guys

fredo
07-18-2020, 07:19 PM
For you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks really good, man ! :thumbsup

dpark
07-21-2020, 09:48 PM
interesting comments in the thread. I am the original owner of a 2004 ZHP and I do plan to transition to an EV in the next couple of years. I love my e46, and it has been a great car for its 16 year life. It's gonna need about $2000 in repairs later this year (oil pan gasket leak, new front struts, new engine mounts). But the writing is on the wall, EVs are the future, ICE is dead. They will still be around as vehicles for decades, but there won't be anything exciting in ICE cars for much longer.

Not sure what EV I will buy, but leaning towards Tesla just because they are light years ahead of the other legacy car companies. My brother has had a 3 for about a year now and said he will never go back to ICE. Range anxiety is a bit of a pain, but he says there are enough supercharging stations around that he can fill up if he needs it away from home.

I can't see doing something like an i3. I do enough mid-long distance driving that a 100 mile range is a deal breaker for me. I need to be able to drive Portland to Seattle or Portland to Bandon Dunes without recharging.

If the ZHP stays relatively trouble-free and reliable, I may keep it. But my brother also has an ICE vehicle as a second car and he never drives it anymore.

If I do get a 3, keeping the ZHP seems a little redundant from a size/space perspective. As heretical as it sounds, I could see selling it and then getting a 2nd or 3rd gen Mazda Miata. Something different enough from a sedan that there would be a reason to drive it once in a while, and something I could autocross again, something I haven't done since my Acura Integra back in the day.

For anyone from SoCal, there was a specialty shop back in the day called Jackson Racing that tuned Hondas and Acuras. My 1st gen Integra was about as tricked out as you could get, with no turbo, and still pass smog. It topped out at 135mph and 7000rpm on Banzai runs between Irvine and San Diego many times. As much as I love BMWs, there is something very appealing about the simple Japanese cars that you can mod up for very cheap.

BMWCurves
07-22-2020, 09:37 AM
I don't have any plans to sell my ZHP. It might get relegated to weekend duty if/when I buy a second car.

As for electric vehicles? They're the most likely move forward for global transportation. If I had a choice, I'd downplay its relative importance and endorse better funding and infrastructure for public transportation, especially in the US. Skip the stress of sitting in traffic, decrease vehicle mortality, decrease transportation costs, be more environmentally friendly, and free up more space for living and walking around? Sign me up for this (unlikely) world. But that's another discussion for another day.

There are numerous benefits to electric vehicles. Maintenance and charging costs are decreased with fewer moving parts and being able to tap into the grid. Safety can be improved. My pickle is with what is often the most touted reason to go electric: the environment. For global adoption of electric vehicles to occur, it means we need vastly increased mining and production of raw materials for batteries. That demand has serious environmental implications as multiple studies have shown. These (https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact) two articles (https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2019/02/lithium-is-fueling-technology-today-at-what-cost/) give a good quick summary of some of the environmental issues of electric cars. Also, often forgotten but no less important, is that in surging global demand for resources located in poor countries, there is a very high risk of worker and human rights violations. All that isn't to say that buying electric vehicles isn't good in both their message and in practice, but like many things, it is more complicated than the simple idea of environmentally friendly future that is often depicted.

For me? Some people hate it, but I like when EVs lean into the weird design. The i3? I can absolutely see that in my garage. About 80% of my driving is around town which can be filled with some small EV. Oddly, I think dream would be something like the new Ford Bronco, but an EV. I need something with more room and off-road capable, and why not make it electric?

san
07-22-2020, 10:25 AM
I don't have any plans to sell my ZHP. It might get relegated to weekend duty if/when I buy a second car.

As for electric vehicles? They're the most likely move forward for global transportation. If I had a choice, I'd downplay its relative importance and endorse better funding and infrastructure for public transportation, especially in the US. Skip the stress of sitting in traffic, decrease vehicle mortality, decrease transportation costs, be more environmentally friendly, and free up more space for living and walking around? Sign me up for this (unlikely) world. But that's another discussion for another day.

There are numerous benefits to electric vehicles. Maintenance and charging costs are decreased with fewer moving parts and being able to tap into the grid. Safety can be improved. My pickle is with what is often the most touted reason to go electric: the environment. For global adoption of electric vehicles to occur, it means we need vastly increased mining and production of raw materials for batteries. That demand has serious environmental implications as multiple studies have shown. These (https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact) two articles (https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2019/02/lithium-is-fueling-technology-today-at-what-cost/) give a good quick summary of some of the environmental issues of electric cars. Also, often forgotten but no less important, is that in surging global demand for resources located in poor countries, there is a very high risk of worker and human rights violations. All that isn't to say that buying electric vehicles isn't good in both their message and in practice, but like many things, it is more complicated than the simple idea of environmentally friendly future that is often depicted.

For me? Some people hate it, but I like when EVs lean into the weird design. The i3? I can absolutely see that in my garage. About 80% of my driving is around town which can be filled with some small EV. Oddly, I think dream would be something like the new Ford Bronco, but an EV. I need something with more room and off-road capable, and why not make it electric?

Well said

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
07-22-2020, 08:19 PM
@BMWCurves bro I was checking out the new broncos the other day (2 door, 7 spd manual) and was like ehhh I'll wait for the EV version

Would probably be a beast with massive ground clearance yet a CG down at the axles

BMWCurves
07-22-2020, 10:58 PM
@BMWCurves bro I was checking out the new broncos the other day (2 door, 7 spd manual) and was like ehhh I'll wait for the EV version

Would probably be a beast with massive ground clearance yet a CG down at the axles

https://i.imgur.com/B3ixKw6.gif

Rovert
07-23-2020, 11:50 AM
I've been using this for a couple weeks now....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OX_zcnXFDhpjGQ-QD587CkjUdy8rJjxGKpvDTw6E2peKsiwjx-sTkyTDpXLCkXfalqze6O7Kmqd7FhRy8VwbQjYkwY_DjX0VckMO Qx6pcsQUQWe_wXCtTvXhSihtpTZ3_iyUcfRSIpc=w1440-h1080

It's a 2020 Model X Long Range that I'm borrowing while my E46 is getting its engine rebuilt. The ///M is a bloody expensive vehicle to daily vs my ol' ZHP that's for sure...LOL

We really do need to embrace EV. Being in the car industry professionally and traveling the world to see how they are sold and what expectations are for the resale of motor vehicles, I am seeing a NEED to accept EV as a part of the future IF we want to still have the option to purchase ICE vehicles. Seeing as to how governments are putting limits and regulations to how much pollution on average a manufacturer can have before paying heavy carbon tax which then spreads to the end user, I can see manufacturers having no choice but to limit/phase out ICE more and more.

Having this Model X has been great daily other than some of the clout that comes with it especially when I need to get into the back door. There is no mistaking that this vehicle has flipped and changed many of my presumptions comparing it to our normal petrol/diesel vehicles. We are in a shift of big transition that has picked up momentum. It sure seems to be as technology evolves faster and faster, so does change. I still totally love my ICE, the sound it makes, the way it does things is what I'm used to. It's no question that as EV and the world dynamic progresses, it'll challenge what we fight to keep.

On to my experience with Tesla. I've used this same car a few months back and after using it again after 5 months, the car has gotten better. The power was increased in between my use and the software has been upgraded to make the system work better and better. This is probably not the norm compared to every EV but it's cool to know that the experience gets better as time passes. I still have a liking to the quirky i3 REX and I think it would fit perfectly into my daily life of moving around the city. Driving my friend's i3 shows it can still be fun as it defies the laws of your understanding of why it can be such a fun car. I always search craigslist for them just so I know what I'm up against should I be forced to make a fast purchase.

Sure Tesla has growing pains as with other car manufacturers EV or not. Right now you're buying into the experience of what the future could be rather than the experience of "saving" money which you definitely aren't with a new Model X. Saving the world? Well that depends where you live, how much you drive and how you get your electricity. With a battery the size of this vehicle....it'll take many years for the carbon footprint to become equal to an similar sized ICE vehicle. There are many studies of both sides...so I guess we'll just have to learn more and more and stay open minded. As for the driving experience, this car spoils me into conveniences that are what my smart phone gives me. I'm sure you guys can read all about those features and know of them so I'll spare those here.

Driving this car has been a blast. Most people don't know that with the higher powered Teslas, power isn't fully harnessed until you set the suspension to its lowest setting, equalizing the axles to make them closer to straight with the diffs allowing for full power of the battery to the ground. Having the throttle control that this car has is something my M3 will never have. It's instant. What I want it to with throttle feels like telepathy compared to a NA ICE. There isn't 400-600 lbs of multiple ICE parts being told to spin and move faster which causes delay. It's just a brushless permanent magnet motor directly connected to a diff to the wheels. It's the same feeling in an i3 and I assume with any other EV. Throttle pedal is so linear and when I stop pressing, it stops going...something I am just about used to. This thing handles better than my dad's F10 535d but I attest that to much lower centre of gravity because this Model X hardly rolls in hard corners. I haven't pushed it as hard as my M because I do feel the extra weight but leaving apex with this Model X still puts a grin on my face as the system torque vectors me out and puts so much power down it slightly squiggles to regain traction. Even at high speed past 70mph, this thing just keeps going which is totally fine in the city and quick illegal bursts...maybe not the track which this car was never made to live on. haha

The quietness and serene cabin experience when you want that is really nice. With music on low, there is this futuristic whirr of a motor accelerating or regen'ing to a stop without the need for brake pedal actuation. I loved that I could have windows down and hear the exhaust of great cars without having to ignore my ICE. A perfect unadulterated experience to keeping up with a lovely sounding V10 engine next to me at full throttle.

I've been charging at home via only level 1/120v since the house is not equipped for EV yet. I charge 3-4MPH which is absurdly slow but at the same time I "may" drive 30-40 miles in a day which is adequate for an overnight level 1 charge. Level 2 240v charge will boost you at around 22mph-50mph. If I need to top up FAST, I'll head to a Tesla supercharger and "fill up" for 15-20 minutes at around 500mph, while I check my emails/texts/social media which I do at home anyways. Going to supercharge at a high traffic location can look weird to the non-EV crowd...seeing 5 Teslas lined to charge and thinking what a waste of time. It's no different than waiting for petrol at a full gas station. When there are 20 chargers averaging 15-20 minutes, your turnover rate is around 1 minute per car.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/x-dAkiKJpChAaZKbOvMEfXv32F8GI4hN49C7gn-UPv9kCFb_yQYbTMtz7GhKnyO_ynxfQu8805T4bAPjk-bI_T-kYIz6PguD0vUsYQTnhmUrLDj77R3hXiNt0VnlGcc_zr20beOwb _c=w768-h1080

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UjJEpuh_nuFNojMlGEJyLkiGdf4BHWqog4ZBaFJ1Qg-LmFKEYg0JGG2ECWnQCmeEw-b5Hy80SxnffTHnwqMKxLY2A9PYfAoeN44IpSj_yWe6Pb4kVG6e qEH5ud29LeNGdCNtpEX1lug=w1440-h1080

I travel to my local supercharger in off-time...LOL. This charging thing hasn't even been a big deal. A full battery in this car is just over 300 miles but I charge to around 225-250 miles for daily just in case I need to head out of town I can do it easily and then top up at another supercharger when I'm out. For road tripping I'll let you guys search that as every EV is different at different price points.

Still the EV is suited for within city usage generally. Helping bring carbon emissions down whilst being able to Dino-juice burn on the weekends is something many of us will have to do just as old carbonated leaded engines run on weekends oldie enthusiasts car meets today! You may think what does one car do to save the planet but driving this makes you think of other ways to be better for the world for which can have huge effects should you run with that passion and show others that. What a ride.....the experience is something that has changed my thinking and allowed me to open up to a much bigger picture rather than just being selfish in my own needs which my M3 gives only to me.

bandwagn
07-23-2020, 07:15 PM
Yes, Tesla has some growing pains, but they are definitely not a boring EV. The immediate torque is insane and it’s a completely different driving experience. Highly recommended taking a test drive if you have a chance. It’s a performance minded eco car.

Also, the Taycan is pretty cool - quick, drives nice and is definitely the Porsche of EVs. Lots of pretty exciting options on the horizon.

Fenrir
07-24-2020, 04:11 PM
Will I have an electric in the future? Most likely. Will it replace my ZHP? Most likely not.

Will
07-24-2020, 04:43 PM
Many think ICE cars will eventually go the way of the horse, from beast of burden to weekend recreation. I'm hoping for fuel cells. And, I wouldn't mind a hybrid Tacoma TRD Offroad, or Hybrid Bronco (with Sasquatch pkg). Imagine one of those things averaging 30mpg. I'd get one of those and a fun light car.

Rovert
07-24-2020, 05:32 PM
Many think ICE cars will eventually go the way of the horse, from beast of burden to weekend recreation. I'm hoping for fuel cells. And, I wouldn't mind a hybrid Tacoma TRD Offroad, or Hybrid Bronco (with Sasquatch pkg). Imagine one of those things averaging 30mpg. I'd get one of those and a fun light car.

It’s closer than you think! The new Toyota Sienna is offered as a hybrid only platform now. It’ll be interesting how it is as taxi drivers put them through the paces. Haha.

sillieidiot
07-25-2020, 01:48 AM
Yes, Tesla has some growing pains, but they are definitely not a boring EV. The immediate torque is insane and it’s a completely different driving experience. Highly recommended taking a test drive if you have a chance. It’s a performance minded eco car.

Also, the Taycan is pretty cool - quick, drives nice and is definitely the Porsche of EVs. Lots of pretty exciting options on the horizon.

Nah, Tesla is the other way around. It's an Eco-minded car with some performance. Yeah the instant torque is great. But it's a one trick pony at that point. Seriously, how can the brakes even be considered performance? Try it. Charge to 100% so that regen turns off, then go fast and try to stop lol The model 3 is like the most performance oriented model out of the bunch. All the rest are like this big floaty ship. Great for cruising though especially with the air suspension on the S.

But it's a tech car as much as it is an EV. You deal with a lot of SW bugs that roll out too. You can't do anything about it until the next update. There's been times where it messed up the Autopilot, the reverse cam, my headlights, etc. My most annoying bug currently is the Bluetooth one (been like 5 updates, still there). It's the one where when I pick up, I don't hear the other person at all until I switch to handset mode and switch back.

Not that I'm against Tesla or anything. As far as I can tell, they have the best BMS as well as motors. They just got to work on literally everything else. My friend, who got a Model S recently, has been telling me that he thought I was joking when I told him all the problems I had to deal with and the quality of the car and service. Now he has to deal with those too lol We fixed a ton of things recently when we opened up his car to put in the power frunk/soft close doors. Wires hanging randomly, clips missing, found a screw driver just in the car that wasn't ours lol And the big one, the main bolt on his front passenger control arm is...not there lol Shit luckily we only drove 60 miles.

I still recommend Tesla though. If you get a good one and you never have to warranty it. Then it'll be problem free and you avoid like 90% of the problems by not having to deal with Tesla. They have the best range, a large charging network. You can use the others too, but I haven't had the need to use anything other than the Superchargers and I drove across 4 states. It's a great DD, seriously. And another good thing is that if you drive manual, the transition to the car is easy. It's basically like driving a manual, regen = engine brake. Doesn't move until you hit the gas. It's all throttle control which manual drivers are fairly good at to begin with.

I hope in the future, Tesla can iron out all their problems and produce a car that can actually replace my E46.

fredo
09-05-2020, 01:20 PM
The Los Angeles Police Department's barely used fleet of BMW i3 EVs is being sold for dirt cheap.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/los-angeles-police-departments-barely-120400723.html

Rovert
09-05-2020, 02:15 PM
That’s an awesome way to step into the EV lifestyle while keeping in the family. I was thinking of that before the Tesla too. Seems like the i3 is more of an in-town runabout with a few trips outside of it with some inconvenience as you’re needing to fill up every 100 miles with a REX equipped model. A Tesla is great for in-town and most out of town places focusing around major cities and along interstates with superchargers.

I’m at a crossroad to supplement the E46 M3 right now to either find a mint conditioned 2011 E90 335d M-Sport or a Model 3 SR+. We’ll see what I find!

BMWCurves
09-05-2020, 02:23 PM
That’s an awesome way to step into the EV lifestyle while keeping in the family. I was thinking of that before the Tesla too. Seems like the i3 is more of an in-town runabout with a few trips outside of it with some inconvenience as you’re needing to fill up every 100 miles with a REX equipped model. A Tesla is great for in-town and most out of town places focusing around major cities and along interstates with superchargers.

I’m at a crossroad to supplement the E46 M3 right now to either find a mint conditioned 2011 E90 335d M-Sport or a Model 3 SR+. We’ll see what I find!

That's a really odd way to spell Toyota Sera.

holyc0w
09-24-2020, 04:11 PM
2035 seems to be the date set for the death of the ICE powered automobile.

Several European countries are going for a ban on new ICE powered car sales in 2035. Now California seems to want to set the same date.

johnrando
09-24-2020, 04:22 PM
I think it was indeed set here.

WOLFN8TR
09-24-2020, 06:37 PM
Now California seems to want to set the same date.

Didn’t see that coming from Gavin. [emoji2957]

Rovert
09-24-2020, 06:40 PM
In British Columbia the government has set 2040 as the date of ICE ban. They also need 10% of new vehicles sold to be EV by 2025 and 30% by 2030. BC is already in a good position because we already have 6% sold as EV and increasing rapidly since I feel like I see more Teslas than BMWs on the roads in Vancouver. LOL.

Tesla seems to be really moving ahead with battery tech finally and will be able to grab Lithium from the ground in Nevada or anywhere in North America with little waste and political instability. Excited to see the next two years of this new evolution of rechargeables. I hope I get to see how this change affects the world in my lifetime.

das boots
09-24-2020, 07:11 PM
Didn’t see that coming from Gavin. [emoji2957]

I have 3 options by then....

I'll be way too old to drive by that time, won't recognize the world zooming by or maybe gone.

Sounds grim.

johnrando
09-25-2020, 05:39 AM
From what I read, you can still buy an out of state ICE car and bring it into the state, but no new ICE sales within the state.

das boots
09-25-2020, 09:43 AM
From what I read, you can still buy an out of state ICE car and bring it into the state, but no new ICE sales within the state.

I agree. Since my ZHP has Nevada registration.....

holyc0w
09-27-2020, 11:06 AM
Seems to only apply to new (not used) sales, but it's only a matter of time before other states follow, or manufacturers discontinue ICE models as the market disappears.

das boots
09-29-2020, 12:24 PM
EPA Chief Andrew Wheeler wrote to Newsom......

“California’s record of rolling blackouts—unprecedented in size and scope—coupled with recent requests to neighboring states for power begs the question of how you expect to run an electric car fleet that will come with significant increases in electricity demand, when you can’t even keep the lights on today,”